Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Sometimes I think about Neil cambell's character that's a teen only its him doing an impression of a teen who made fun of him and feels remorse and I laugh out loud

Rick Faber is one of my favorites, too. Like most of Neil Campbell's characters, it seems so dumb on the surface and just gets more and more profoundly funny as it goes on. I love when he and his friends make fun of Neil for wearing Rollerblades, and he had an "awesome comeback" about how "Rollerblades" is a specific brand, and what he was wearing were inline skates. Or when he and his friends make fun of Neil at a Dodgers' game, and Scott sounds a little jealous that he wasn't invited to the baseball game with Neil. So Neil, as Rick Faber, explains to Scott that he was probably sick, which is why he wasn't invited.

One of my favorite Rick Faber moments is when he tries to make some tasteless comment about putting his dick in a girl, but he can't decide whether to say "dong" or "wang", so he says, "dang".

Neil Campbell is very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Gejimayu posted:

Been listening to a lot of clips lately, and I'm ready to make the plunge with this podcast. Sadly, I don't have hundreds of hours to plow through the show so I'm wondering where I should start. Are there quintessential episodes that I need to listen to or should I just go back a number or episodes or what?

Agreeing with others that the end-of-the-year podcasts are good for this. If they play a bit I really like I'll just go back and listen to the whole episode. Also, just go through the backlog and listen to episodes where you know/like the guest(s). I've also found the holiday episodes are really good because they feature ton of characters, which can lead you to this strategy:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also look up the CBB wikia, it's pretty useful. If you find yourself drawn to certain characters, a lot of them have storylines of sort so you can listen to those episodes (ie every Marissa Wompler episode, who is always gold).

This is how I've been listening to the show recently. You can use the CBB wiki to find every episode a character or person has been on. I recently listened to every Cake Boss and Neil Campbell episode, and now I'm going back and listening to every Nick Kroll and Andy Daly episode.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Am I a shark in either scenario?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I thought the timeys were okay, but I really thought Neil Campbell did a great job in that episode. It's incredible that he keeps finding ways to make that character funny. I loved the sorrow in his voice when someone said anything that sounded like "Longo" because it made him miss his brother-in-law.

And because I forgot to post about it when it was new, I loved the moment in the latest Adam Scott episode where he confesses to wanting to change his last name to Quardero. You can feel Aukerman's energy turn to 100% glee.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Scott's ticks sometimes get on my nerves, but just taking a break for a couple weeks usually gets me back on board. He's so funny when he gets out of his own way.

I thought the Sean and Hayes episode was a great palette cleanser because it so forcefully put Scott on the defensive. I wish more guests took a sarcastic tone of "oh, this show is cute", mocking the show. I loved when they insisted that they play games with Scott as if they were humoring him, then refused to even pretend to take the games remotely seriously.

JethroMcB posted:

That's ya dyetin.

Loved this bit.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm so loving excited for the Denver show that I can barely contain myself guys. Bummed I won't be seeing Neil though :smith:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

According to the original announcement on the podcast, the NYC shows will be Neil's last appearances.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Denver show in three hours :woop:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Riptor posted:

Weird Al always comes off as strangely guarded and kinda distant to me.

This is how he comes off to me, too, particularly in interviews and on the podcasts I've heard him on. He keeps his image so squeaky clean that he'll laugh at jokes but rarely play along if they're of questionable content. Sorta like the one guy in college who would hang out with you and your friends and he'd laugh at your jokes but he always seemed uncomfortable, then it turned out that he was a Jehovah's Witness.

I still like Weird Al a lot though, I think the TV show will be a good fit for him although I'll miss Kid Cudi.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

iBrain is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life

iBrain is one of those "I will never forget the first time" things for me. A friend of mine had e-mailed me a link to it and I was listening to it while walking around doing chores in the house. I eventually had to pause it and sit down I was laughing so hard. I've shown it to a handful of people since then but they haven't found it funny :shrug:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Scott mentioning "That's ya dyetin'." when Ryan Gaul's detective started getting mushmouthed cracked me up, and got me to go back and listen to that segment again.

Aw man, I missed this! Which episode was that from, originally? That was hysterical

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

There's a transcendent "Old Time Rock n Roll" number where Bolton just walks around half-assed-ly pointing at stuff.

This was easily my favorite segment. Pretty much everything on the special would have fit into an episode of the CBB TV show, but I thought that one was the most reminiscent of it. I'd kill to have Netflix fund a 10 episode season of CBB every year.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

My favourite part is when SPOILERS Santa Claus takes a bullet for Michael Bolton and in his dying breath reveals that he is Bolton's father and then the shooter becomes the new Santa Claus because of the Santa Clause (starring Tim Allen). Total idiotic bullshit done so, so right.

Scott's "You're free to go!" killed me

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Here is an amazing Aukerman interview:
http://gothamist.com/2017/02/13/interview_michael_bolton_scott_auke.php

Truly bizarre reading CBB-style bits in print, also Akiva Schaffer is apparently a Scott Aukerman clone, without the names I don't think you'd be able to tell who was making each joke.

Holy moly this is a great interview. Thank you for sharing it. Here's a highlight:

Scott Aukerman posted:

Maui wowie.

Classic

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I loved the CBB dating game show featuring Paul Rust loves chemicals so much he's like a Walter White over here!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I enjoyed Kyle Mooney quite a bit, but I like him in general. I generally appreciate it when someone comes with a prewritten bit (Andy Daly, Brendon Small, Brett Gellman, etc.). Even if it doesn't always work I think it's a nice change of pace. I thought his song was hysterical, and the character was spot-on. It might help that I knew a few guys in high school that were just like that character. Any time someone says "gently caress you very much" it gets a dumb laugh out of me.

I also thought he had good chemistry with the Bachelor Bros, although I wish they'd had more back-and-forth. I really enjoyed when he was bragging about getting head from your girlfriend in the bathroom of a CVS, and also selling her pills, while the Bachelor Bros fawned over how cool he was.

To each their own though, it's sort of a one-note character but I enjoyed it. Here's a link to one of my favorite Mooney bits from SNL where he marries Miley Cyrus - featuring both Beck Bennet and Bobby Moynihan.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

What are the best Scott losing it moments?
Joey Tortellini
Salmon Teriyaki
There are definitely others, help me out thread!

It's not CBB, but on UTU2TM, in the episode with Todd Glass, he does a bit where he's playing 30 second clips of songs that are really not U2 and forcing Todd to guess which one is U2. I think that's the hardest I've ever heard him lose it, and of course he's laughing at his own bit.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Good lord I wish I could experience that podcast for the first time again.

Seconded. It was my gateway into CBB and a ton of other podcasts. It's still my favorite.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I haven't finished today's ep yet but this quote from Scott had me crying from laughing so hard:

"Do you think Sia should have someone open for her named 'wouldn't wanna be ya'?"

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

been listening back to all the old halloween CBB episodes, they're all great

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sticking the worst (The National) and the best (Jess McKenna) on the same episode just seems cruel.

The National were pretty rough... it did, however, lead to this incredible material from Scott:

"The Guardian says, 'the tension created by the hyper-musical brother duos, pacing the cage of what `rock band` means with increased vigour. It often adds up to a subtle, grown-up take that still leaves space for drama'. So, my question is, is it impossible to write about music?"

That got a very hearty laugh out of me.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

sideshow

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

In the past year I've gone from thinking Pardo was too abrasive for my taste and not really liking his character to loving him and thinking he should be on every podcast.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

yeah I'll generally only listen to NNF if the guest is someone I know will keep up with him and challenge him. I tried to make it through an Anthony Rapp episode and it was painful. Not to be an obvious CBB fanboy, but Aukerman and PFT are both really good on it. So is Jon Hamm and a handful of other guests. Mostly agree about the "unfunny assholes" comment though, I think that's what makes the show so zoo crewey.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I think he said on Monday's ep that they'd be back "next week" with the best of episodes.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I love Jason Mantzoukas and I also hope he's never on another episode of CBB

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I really do love Jason Mantzoukas. I don't really mind all the pushy poo poo he does, either, because I find it funny. The thing I don't care for is his "incredulous guy" character he's always doing.

Mailer Daemon: "It's me, the Mailer Daemon!"
Mantzoukas: "Wait, wait, so you're telling me you're the mailer daemon!?"
Mailer Daemon: "Yes."
Mantzoukas: "As in, you're the guy who sends back mail that fails to send!? Wow. Wow. You're doing it right now, you're returning my mail. You are returning mail at an alarming rate."

OTOH, I'm currently breaking my rule of not complaining about free podcasts* soooo I'll stfu

*except serial - gently caress serial

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I liked the ep a lot. I love Todd Glass. Two big laugh out loud moments for me:

Todd is talking about how thankful he is for the people who helped him with his special, I mean he was really gushing. And Scott interrupted to say, "Todd, I'm worried that you think I'm giving you an award."

The second one was when Scott said they were running out of time and Adomian inserted, "And ideas!"

Anywho I'm generally a fan of Scott and Todd's rapport so I thought it was a solid one.

Great ep, C+.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I would listen to a podcast miniseries just about Todd Glass expressing his weird opinions to Scott.

I would love this.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

are you talking dinosaur jr to me?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I can't believe I've never listened to the Dead Authors Podcast. I'd only heard it mentioned online in passing, I never realized it was a PFT podcast featuring all of our most favorite interesting people.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

bad hatterman

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I was pretty resistant to HH and the boys until they were on CBB. Then I went back and listened to the first PFT episode and it clicked for me. Now, maybe more than any other podcast, it does not matter who the guest is. I get at least one huge belly laugh out of every episode. I have a buddy who listens to CBB and I convinced him to listen to that PFT episode of HH and he gave up because it was "too much".

Honestly it's probably currently my favorite podcast, although I still think the peak of UTU2TM is my all-time favorite.

Edit: I donno if I've ever laughed as hard at a podcast as on the semi-recent HH with Lauren Lapkus where Sean's digging on Raised by TV and says he has this "super cool and unique thing about my childhood where I was into all the most popular poo poo". Then on a later episode he praises their fans for being smart enough to know that female guests don't get the show, while very obviously talking about Lauren Lapkus. This is the kind of poo poo that is impossible to explain to other people.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 20, 2018

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

George St. Geegland & Gil Faizon should probably be on there somewhere as a pair. Honestly we might just need a 64 team bracket with random seeds.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=divCzeaC7r0

big fan of the elegant Mr. S

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

the boys make every podcast better

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I seriously didn't get it until I listened to about 15 episodes, but I kept going because I have a buddy who kept insisting how funny it was. It probably took me a year to get through that many episodes, and suddenly it clicked. It's my favorite podcast now, not counting golden era UTU2TM.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

and the week before that was the 9th anniversary show

the highlight of yesterday's episode was Aukerman berating Nick Thune for how lovely his tour is going to be and how poorly he's promoting it

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I enjoyed the ep and thoroughly celebrate any appearance of one Mr. Dabney Coleperson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Laterite posted:

Harris: "I call it, Tapas The Morning To Jah".

*pause*

St. Vincent: *pained voice* "Ooohhh."

This is an all time great moment and probably the single purest distillation of Harris' sense of humor, the joke itself and St. Vincent's response.