Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

1st AD posted:

I dont get it, how this this affect the audience? Spotify is a free download and hes still doing video + podcasts

I used to listen to LPOTL every week, but if its not in Overcast its kinda out of mind - have never tried to listen to podcasts in Spotify. I think Patreon could solve that, but I moved on.

Im sure them and Joe will lose 1 of me for gaining access to 2-3 new people, Im in the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I also have no interest in downloading Spotify. I have too many podcasts in Overcast that I don't get to as it is, and I don't really care to have my podcasts spread across multiple apps.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Had no idea anyone didnt have Spotify these-days. I cant name more than 5 friends/family members who use Apple or another app

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Had no idea anyone didn’t have Spotify these-days. I cant name more than 5 friends/family members who use Apple or another app

See, Im the opposite. I dont know anyone who uses Spotify, and everyone I know who pays for a music subscription uses Apple.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I use Google as it gets rid of YouTube ads and can play YouTube with the screen off.

I have tidal as well free with Sprint but never use it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I have a 2008 ipod nano and download podcast mp3s so I can listen while hiking/running. lmao

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I should add that most of the people I know dont pay for music subs at all and the only phone apps they use are Facebook and YouTube. Thats life over 40 in rural Appalachia. A lot of them love JRE, so I guess theyre about to start using Spotify.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Does getting into bed with Spotify mean he's no longer part of the ~intellectual dark web~?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

and can play YouTube with the screen off.

Holy poo poo, I didnt know this was possible

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Piquai Souban posted:

I used to listen to LPOTL every week, but if it’s not in Overcast it’s kinda out of mind - have never tried to listen to podcasts in Spotify. I think Patreon could solve that, but I moved on.

I’m sure them and Joe will lose 1 of me for gaining access to 2-3 new people, I’m in the minority.

I was an avid LPOTL listener and stopped when they went to Spotify. Its personal preference really and I don't want Spotify getting poo poo up with podcast recommendations.

Plus personally I think the show had suffered since they're spreading themselves a bit thin.

As for the Rogan move, I saw Cernovich on twitter claiming it as a good move and how YouTube is increasingly draconian, presumably because they won't monetise people who say the N-word.

Also Spotify not paying artists fairly, building up their brand and spending 100 million on a podcaster is just depressing.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The Spotify move rules because one of the many things Joe repeats ad nauseam is how he loves the freedom of doing what he wants with no bosses.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

-Atom- posted:

The Spotify move rules because one of the many things Joe repeats ad nauseam is how he loves the freedom of doing what he wants with no bosses.

Hes claiming this is still the case and Spotify are hosting him, not interfering in any way.

I imagine his lawyer and agent are on top of things to ensure that this is the case.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Joe Rogan bursts into Les Moonves' office while on the air demanding to know why they cut a bit from his show where a paleo biohacker talks about drinking cough syrup to become enlightened

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm kind of over downloading apps, I just don't have the time to figure out if they are selling all my data to Palantir or whoever. (They are all selling your data to Palantir). I am also out if it's not on Overcast

Honestly after a few years of listening to Joe just berate people for being ugly and not exercising enough and not hitting the sauna every day it's kind of getting old. He's a very vain Los Angeles person with a very Los Angeles mindset and when he gets another super vain person on like Whitney Cummings or Brendan Schaub or whoever it's just insufferable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

empty baggie posted:

See, Im the opposite. I dont know anyone who uses Spotify, and everyone I know who pays for a music subscription uses Apple.

Apple Music is pretty terrible, I find. Not just the interface, but the lack of playlists by other users really kills the service for me, it's a huge advantage Spotify has. It's very easy to search for anything (like a game, or TV show) and find curated playlists by other users that contain the music of whatever you were searching for.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Lambert posted:

Apple Music is pretty terrible, I find. Not just the interface, but the lack of playlists by other users really kills the service for me, it's a huge advantage Spotify has. It's very easy to search for anything (like a game, or TV show) and find curated playlists by other users that contain the music of whatever you were searching for.

Apple Music definitely has this, although Im sure theres not as many as on Spotify.

I made a Hotline Miami soundtrack playlist with my own uploaded tracks several years ago, and it still gets regularly added by other Apple Music users.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm kind of over downloading apps, I just don't have the time to figure out if they are selling all my data to Palantir or whoever. (They are all selling your data to Palantir). I am also out if it's not on Overcast

Honestly after a few years of listening to Joe just berate people for being ugly and not exercising enough and not hitting the sauna every day it's kind of getting old. He's a very vain Los Angeles person with a very Los Angeles mindset and when he gets another super vain person on like Whitney Cummings or Brendan Schaub or whoever it's just insufferable.

Same here.

Tony hawk is the first ep I'm listening to in a while and he's a cool guy. Joe kinda blows now.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

But every now and then he has a guest on like the guy who wrote the Manson book and it's a 3 hour deep dive into a fascinating topic and it brings me back around again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

But every now and then he has a guest on like the guy who wrote the Manson book and it's a 3 hour deep dive into a fascinating topic and it brings me back around again.

Yeah, even though I'm majorly skeptical of where his claims take him.

Like, yes there's actually doubt about Mason's motives in those killings. In fact there's always been doubt. Manson had talked about The Beatles, had indeed said they were talking to him through song and said they were alerting him to a race war but Manson said a lot of crazy poo poo.

Then, when he orders the family out to kill he tells them to write something 'witchy' on the walls which is what they do. They happen to reference The Beatles, so that's the motive the prosecution went with. Even Vince Bugliosi in his book knows this is flimsy but it's also all they have.

The reality is more likely that Manson, who was floating around on the fringes of famous people but scared them off through being a piece of poo poo, wanted to kill someone who had aggrieved him in the past. That someone was Terry Melcher. Melcher lived at Cielo Drive, so that's where they went.

The problem with the guys Rogan tends to have on is that that isn't enough. Instead Manson was in CIA experiments or was a secret operative and they find 1001 connections to all these different historical figures and events.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

The problem with the guys Rogan tends to have on is that that isn't enough. Instead Manson was in CIA experiments or was a secret operative and they find 1001 connections to all these different historical figures and events.

To be clear, I didn't mean to imply I was all-in on that theory -- I just find it interesting to listen to, for the same reasons that I used to love listening to "Coast to Coast AM" on the ride home from the bars twenty years ago.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Its interesting that Spotify managed to get Rogan to sell out, but I guess if someone shows up with $100M in a dumptruck and promises no interference its pretty hard to say no.

On the other hand, I didn't even know Spotify had videos, and I mostly watch Rogan because its always in my youtube recommended videos so its hard to say how it will turn out in terms of audience.

Latest fight companion podcast also continues to reinforce that Eddie Bravo is one of the dumbest humans alive.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Sedgr posted:

Latest fight companion podcast also continues to reinforce that Eddie Bravo is one of the dumbest humans alive.

And Brenden Schaub seems to be quickly turning into Eddie Bravo Jr.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sedgr posted:

Its interesting that Spotify managed to get Rogan to sell out, but I guess if someone shows up with $100M in a dumptruck and promises no interference its pretty hard to say no.

On the other hand, I didn't even know Spotify had videos, and I mostly watch Rogan because its always in my youtube recommended videos so its hard to say how it will turn out in terms of audience.

Eddie Bravo is a gem of a human being, look into it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah but you can just read the Tom O'Neil book instead of dealing with Rogan's half-assed just-started reading it version of events. You can also just go look up the works of interesting people like Killer Mike or Abby Martin or whoever instead of dealing with the Rogan version.

Every time Eddie Bravo talks I can't help but notice how all the conspiracies always target or involve people not on Trump's team. Sometimes he is sorta coherent, sometimes he completely contradicts himself, but no matter what the narrative is never ever critical of Trump or his cronies. So funny how that always happens, it's almost as if there were a conspiracy of some sort.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My favorite Bravoism is when he's cornered logically he'll say, "Yeah, but I'm crazy so I believe all kinds of stuff!" as if he made a point.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

Daryl Davis (#1419 from January 30) was one of the best guests I've ever heard on any podcast. Amazing storyteller, and a black man who can befriend Klan members and then get them to ditch their hoods? Holy gently caress.

Gonna live this a listen, thanks for posting. Over the past few months Ive developed this love-hate for Joe Rogan. Hes kinda a massive idiot, but so am I so he asks people questions I would feel too embarrassed to ask, but then he goes a bridge too far and keeps trying to insist China might have lab grown covid or something, then the epidemiologist is all Nah actually heres why that isnt true and then he replies with well if it was true wouldnt xyz?. He pulled the same stunt with a vaccination expert by repeatedly floating debunked myths over and over.

Whatever though, his massive popularity means he gets to bring on really interesting people and I learn a lot. You guys have any more favorite, less political, episodes? War stuff is fine but I need a break from domestic uspol. The cartel interviews were rad, as was Michael Scott Moore (the guy kidnapped by Somali pirates for like 1000 days). Ive listened to most of the Rhonda Patrick episodes, the sleep expert episode, Michael Pollan.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

buglord posted:

Whatever though, his massive popularity means he gets to bring on really interesting people and I learn a lot. You guys have any more favorite, less political, episodes? War stuff is fine but I need a break from domestic uspol. The cartel interviews were rad, as was Michael Scott Moore (the guy kidnapped by Somali pirates for like 1000 days). Ive listened to most of the Rhonda Patrick episodes, the sleep expert episode, Michael Pollan.
Chuck Palahniuk (#1158) stands out in my mind. It was mostly Chuck telling really cool stories and Joe giving him space to do so.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

As someone else mentioned you can often treat Rogan like Coast to Coast AM and there are some good ones along those lines. Cmdr Fravor UFO encounter and Bob Lazar Area 51 stuff are fun ones that way.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I listened to a bit of Rogan today and he went on this surprisingly thoughtful rant about how everybody has been cooped up inside and so many people have lost their jobs and have gotten absolutely no help from the state and there was this flashpoint sort of event

Anyway he ended it by saying everybody has also just watched the Joker movie and that's where I lost my mind and turned it off because I just can't handle how stupid Joe is anymore

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
lol i had the same joker take in a group chat with friends as a joke

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rogan saying "get rid of cops? Who are you going to call when someone robs your house?" shows that he's actually had very little real world experience with the police.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah the only reason you would ever need a cop after your house was robbed is so he can make a report that you give to your insurance company. Thats legitimately it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

Rogan saying "get rid of cops? Who are you going to call when someone robs your house?" shows that he's actually had very little real world experience with the police.

Most Americans are ignorant of how rarely crimes are solved. I remember telling someone that only 60ish percent of murders are solved and that's one of the best solve rates and they thought I was joking.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
The Ronnie Coleman interview was a bit disappointing, Joe's dumb CBD brain spent the first half telling Ronnie how huge he was, poor Ron didn't really have much to go with. The brief police chat was straight to the point, the wrong people are getting those jobs and there isn't enough training or discipline in the field.

Still, was great to hear Ron speak, he's pretty straight forward with how he's handled his career (you just get used to it) which was nice change from Kevin Hart pontificating for 3 hours. Nothing against Kevin, I just didn't like that interview.

Joe just seemed to be in poor form, or didn't know how to ask the right questions.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

The_Rob posted:

Yeah the only reason you would ever need a cop after your house was robbed is so he can make a report that you give to your insurance company. That’s legitimately it.

My apartment got broken into and later they day I called to file the report so I didn't have to pay for a new window. Cop said they would be back later to dust for prints and look for the stolen items but of course I never heard from them again.

He did see a small print on the window though and told me because it was small it was probably a mexican. In reality though it was my 6 year old daughters handprint.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Sedgr posted:

As someone else mentioned you can often treat Rogan like Coast to Coast AM and there are some good ones along those lines. Cmdr Fravor UFO encounter and Bob Lazar Area 51 stuff are fun ones that way.

Graham Hancock is great in the same way. While his ideas can get pretty out there if he goes into speculation of what ancient lost civilisations' level of technology might have been, he at least doesn't think that they were all built by white people which seems quite common for people in that "field".

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

snickothemule posted:

The Ronnie Coleman interview was a bit disappointing, Joe's dumb CBD brain spent the first half telling Ronnie how huge he was, poor Ron didn't really have much to go with. The brief police chat was straight to the point, the wrong people are getting those jobs and there isn't enough training or discipline in the field.

Still, was great to hear Ron speak, he's pretty straight forward with how he's handled his career (you just get used to it) which was nice change from Kevin Hart pontificating for 3 hours. Nothing against Kevin, I just didn't like that interview.

Joe just seemed to be in poor form, or didn't know how to ask the right questions.

Does he talk about his heart surgeries and recent recovery? Hes had a rough couple years

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Harminoff posted:

He did see a small print on the window though and told me because it was small it was probably a mexican. In reality though it was my 6 year old daughters handprint.

Is she Mexican?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

hot sauce posted:

Does he talk about his heart surgeries and recent recovery? Hes had a rough couple years

90s steroid use is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is she Mexican?

Lol no