Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Everything I know about reddit I get from The F Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone listen to the Tristan Harris ep? If so, worth it?

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
What does reddit think about the episode?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzCyz5O4nM

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Currently on the evening of Nov 3rd live:

The End of the World #2

Kyle Kulinski

Tim Dillon

honestly i haven't been watching. Will probably do once in podcast form. curious what happens

an improvement - possible conflicts of interest with the 2 guests? I have yet to determine that

I do agree a lot with Kulinski on stuff. Unfortunately I can understand why he hasn't criticized Rogan on his own channel. If I were him, no way in hell would I risk losing possible publicity (money) by bitching Rogan out

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did Alex reveal anything about interdimensional beings or can I safely skip the episode

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did Alex reveal anything about interdimensional beings or can I safely skip the episode

He didn't show up, so no.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Which one of you do I shoot, drat it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Was definitely a good idea to have this guy on four times.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Sheesh

E: also pens were definitely invented pre WW1.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 18, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Sheesh

E: also pens were definitely invented pre WW1.

Also she wrote most of the diary in fountain pen. There's even a passage about it being used to write some of her diaries and how it was lost to fire.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I didn't realize there were Anne Franke truthers out there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lambert posted:

I didn't realize there were Anne Franke truthers out there.

If you're a Holocaust denier you have to "explain away" all of it.

lol jesus

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1324547634049257474?s=20

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 20, 2020

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Has noted rapist bryan callen been on since the reveal? Has joe talked about it at all?

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you're a Holocaust denier you have to "explain away" all of it.

lol jesus

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1324547634049257474?s=20

What am i missing here? Or is it just a "joe rogan is a short dude" joke?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just got my first mid-stream ad on Spotify, hooray.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

idontpoast posted:

What am i missing here? Or is it just a "joe rogan is a short dude" joke?

Abbott is a huge shithead and neither one is wearing a mask.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Abbott is a huge shithead and neither one is wearing a mask.

They get tested 12 times a day and don't have to follow the rules because Texas is freedom.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Just got my first mid-stream ad on Spotify, hooray.

Wait there are ads even if you have a paid Spotify account? Ive still only listened to a couple on that platform so far. The fact that you can’t disable the video on the desktop app is annoying

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Wait there are ads even if you have a paid Spotify account? Ive still only listened to a couple on that platform so far. The fact that you can’t disable the video on the desktop app is annoying

Yes. They didn't at first but it's been rolling out. The ads are not built into the podcast, but are separate tracks. You can skip through them if you open your phone. They just cut in mid-sentence or mid-word wherever. I had a couple of problems today when it tried to play the ad and it would skip to the next podcast, and then lose my place in the one I was playing.

You can disable the video in the web browser. Syncing your spot between the web browser player and phone app is horrible.

Spotify has to be the worst podcast player I have ever used in the history of podcasts.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm in the UK and I don't have any of those issues on Spotify? (touch wood)

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I really appreciate joe rogan going from the biggest guy on youtube to irrelevant after signing with spotify.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

coronavirus posted:

I really appreciate joe rogan going from the biggest guy on youtube to irrelevant after signing with spotify.

He was smart enough to get paid enough it doesn't matter but it was funny how it highlighted how many times he had absolutely insane people on and that he decided to make his new studio look dumb as hell.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

coronavirus posted:

I didn’t realise he was going to remove old content and stop releasing on YouTube, that seems insane to me, Spotify isn’t a video platform. But I guess that’s what $100 million buys.

Like Netflix, I guess Spotify won’t release viewing /listener figures reliably or at all.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Like Netflix, I guess Spotify won’t release viewing /listener figures reliably or at all.

Not exactly the same thing, but you can see playcounts by individual track on the Spotify desktop app by hovering the curser over the song. I assume this works with podcasts too?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's been something to watch Joe's fanbase turn against him. The sub-reddit exists mostly to mock his uninformed takes and his guests (though some of the old crowd are still there) and the comments on YouTube keep taking about how he's just a shill for Spotify now and has to watch what he says. I'm sure he's going to cry into his pile of money and all that but it's surprising how quick the rejection came. Once he unveiled his uncomfortable looking bunker it was all over.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

As bad as it is, the fighter and the kid reddit page? thread? is quite hilarious, making GBS threads on all of the Rogan comics. Worth a look for a few chuckles here and there.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DrVenkman posted:

It's been something to watch Joe's fanbase turn against him.

Is there any evidence of this actually hurting his popularity or viewership though?
Spotify is a horrible app for podcasts, but has no kind of listener figures available. Even worse for video, as there’s no picture-in-picture for desktop.

Not having things on YouTube & as a real podcast is obviously a huge detriment to social media stuff, but I don’t think Reddit was ever the centre of Joe rogan fans.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 15, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’ve stopped listening to him. That’s mostly because I don’t drive much anymore. The bill Burt podcast has filled the void.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I haven’t listened to any of this podcasts for several months, but I’ve just been pointed to a working proper RSS feed compatible with real podcast apps https://spotifeed.timdorr.com//4rOoJ6Egrf8K2IrywzwOMk

Half the problem solved.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Kind of relevant to what we've been talking about : https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/spotifys-big-bet-on-podcasts-is-failing-citi-says.html

Essentially Spotify bought up these podcasters for the advertising revenue but there's no real indication that it's done anything to move the needle.

My own theory is the disposability of media now has made it really easy for people to shrug their shoulders when something has moved to another platform. Again, using the sub Reddit as an example (and it has 654,000 members) a lot of people indicate they catch clips on YouTube when they get posted but they don't listen to full episodes anymore. Any talk of listening to the full episode is usually to complain about Spotify ads.

Brand loyalty doesn't exist the way it used to, not unless you're Disney.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah but Disney+ works good, and Spotify podcasts are extremely buggy. If Disney+ was a poo poo app it would be different. Everything is a matter of convenience.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah but Disney+ works good, and Spotify podcasts are extremely buggy. If Disney+ was a poo poo app it would be different. Everything is a matter of convenience.

I don't know that buggy UI would stop people flocking towards WANDAVISION though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never understood why Spotify made the deal. They probably could've got Rogan for a lot less too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know that buggy UI would stop people flocking towards WANDAVISION though.

Dunno, I'm dropping HBO Max because the app barely functions on my Samsung smart TV. I know it works good on my Google TV Chromecast, but that's not plugged into my main TV so I never use it.

As far as Spotify, so far
1. It inserts jarring commercials mid sentence that you never had before
2. The commercial sometimes fails to load and it restarts the show from the beginning
3. The commercial successfully loads and it sometimes restarts the show from the beginning
4. Sometimes instead of restarting the show from the beginning, it switches to a different episode.
5. Loses its place between the phone app and the desktop web player.
6. Seems to be streaming an episode even though you downloaded it locally.
8. Sometimes it just pauses itself for no reason, repeatedly.
9. It's a loving disaster over Android auto in general. Sometimes it won't start unless you open the phone and dismiss an ad. Sometimes it won't start unless you force stop Spotify and restart the app. Sometimes it plays but doesn't send any data to the car screen.

These things don't happen every time, but they do sometimes, and it's not like Pocketcasts which just worked all the time with zero effort.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Spotify also scooped the Last Podcast guys... I'm not really sure who spotify were looking to bring to their service.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Spotify also scooped the Last Podcast guys... I'm not really sure who spotify were looking to bring to their service.

I was a big fan as well and I didn't follow them after they made the move. Got no problem supporting the Patreon but keeping that and the Spotify exclusivity (and their weird anti-Apple rationale) soured me on it.

I figured their biggest purchase was getting The Ringer, but in all honesty until I read it in the article I'd forgotten they bought them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DrVenkman posted:

I was a big fan as well and I didn't follow them after they made the move. Got no problem supporting the Patreon but keeping that and the Spotify exclusivity (and their weird anti-Apple rationale) soured me on it.

I figured their biggest purchase was getting The Ringer, but in all honesty until I read it in the article I'd forgotten they bought them.

Huh, I’m sure the ringer podcasts are still showing up in overcast...

I also totally stopped LPOTL after they moved, I wonder if they eventually tour again they’ll realise how much they’ve hurt themselves in the long term.
But no one can see their listenership anyway so who knows.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrVenkman posted:

Pretty much any company that sells anything on the app store has an "anti-apple rationale", because a 30% cut even on subscription services bought through the app store is absurd. The exception are a few companies that get sweetheart deals from Apple, while others simply don't sell subscriptions through anything but their website (which they can't advertise in the app).

There's a reason a coalition of companies is complaining about this to the FTC and the EU.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Was and still am a big fan of theirs. While I mainly listen to only the serial killer, cult, true crime episodes once they moved I stopped listening for months. I would than binge what I missed over a few days. I just finished my latest binge that goes back to episodes released since last August (dozen episodes).