Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Atom- posted:

Hearing Redban obviously upset over not having a wiki page was so awesome.
"They said I wasn't notable enough, so I sent them a bunch of links!"

Oh man what I'd give to be the guy in charge of telling Redban he's a nobody and having him link me to deathsquad.tv :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
redban doesn't deserve 90% of the heckling he gets, but it's hilarious he couldn't even get on wikipedo. Maybe there's a wiki about semi-noteworthy people from ohio

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Redban has actually been OK, at least to me, for the last few episodes. He does much better when he drops goofy one liners and quick dumb jokes.

He just doesn't have the rant, or funny story stuff down and when he tries its not funny, just really really annoying and childish.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

@JoeRogan posted:

Late edition podcast today at 6pm Pacific - OLD SCHOOL just @redban and me, as per your requests!

I'm going to wait for people in this thread to listen to this before I give it a go.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I actually didn't mind Redban at all on the last show where it was just the two of them. Redban was way calmer than usual and the dynamic between him and Joe seemed pretty natural. He's a social leper and I think he just doesn't know how to handle himself when Joe has a friend/guest in too.

Speaking of that, I recently relistened to the Doug Stanhope episode from last year, and there's a moment when Redban tries to talk to Joe (while Doug and Joe are talking) and he literally sounds like a 7 year old trying to get his mom's attention. "Joe...Joe...Joe....Hey Joe..."

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 27, 2011

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I thought it was pretty funny on the most recent episode when Redban made some comment about Applebees and then under his breath whispered "Olive Garden" whistfully afterwards.

What the gently caress is with that guy and Olive Garden anyway

AndIRanSoFarAway
Mar 31, 2011

-Atom- posted:

I'm going to wait for people in this thread to listen to this before I give it a go.

I tapped out after the 15 minutes off the top about their love affair with Apple and how lovely everything else is (including Linux). Also, how these "tech-savvy" individuals are unaware that "PC" stands for "personal computer". The reason Apple couldn't include specific brand names for their competition was because of the legal repercussions of a slanderous/libelous advert campaign.
Sorry I shut up.

AndIRanSoFarAway fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 28, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
he really likes it, which is really a bad sign for him because olive garden is complete trash in almost every aspect.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I Love My Guns 50% Slower

Joe posted a link to this on facebook and I laughed really hard.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

AndIRanSoFarAway posted:

I tapped out after the 15 minutes off the top about their love affair with Apple and how lovely everything else is (including Linux). Also, how these "tech-savvy" individuals are unaware that "PC" stands for "personal computer". The reason Apple couldn't include specific brand names for their competition was because of the legal repercussions of a slanderous/libelous advert campaign.
Sorry I shut up.

I think it's funny/sad/ironic every time he says "OS 'ECKS'" instead of 10.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor Latency posted:

I think it's funny/sad/ironic every time he says "OS 'ECKS'" instead of 10.
I had assumed it was '10' the first time I saw it but literally everyone I know and anyone I've heard mention is has called it 'ecks'. :iiam:

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
the forum chat part is pretty awful but i skipped that and it gets better

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Joe is killing me with his rants about the finance industry. I can only take so much of him complaining about shorting and derivatives (without knowing what they are), let alone his rant about how it's bullshit that stocks go up and down in price.

At least Bryan Callen corrected him a bit. Of course when he started to get in depth with what he would change Joe very quickly said he wanted to talk about something else.

I miss Joey Diaz.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
Bryan Callen's flat tax bullshit made me like him a lot less. I was with him up until then, and then noooope.

widunder
May 2, 2002

habanero walrus posted:

Bryan Callen's flat tax bullshit made me like him a lot less. I was with him up until then, and then noooope.
Yeah that was weird, and came out of nowhere: "the tax code is overly complicated. The solution is a flat tax". Huh?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Leo posted:

I miss Joey Diaz.

Mad Flavor will be on Monday, Dave Attell on Tuesday (maybe) and the Vice Guide guy perhaps on Thursday.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
"slave footage from NK" - NK's gotta be North Korea (that guy's been there)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
So, uh, anyone here tried out the Joe Rogan Placebo Pills?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

They're a class of drugs called "nootropics." The active chemicals in Alpha Brain are Choline and Huperzine A. They aren't placebo, and there's a thread in TCC about them.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Never tried it, but I took his challenge and tried pricing-out a ripoff stack on Amazon. I got it down to 3 vitamin pills adding up to $.70 per dose shipped. But if you get the 90ct bottle with rogan's discount code, it's $.80 per dose before shipping. I might have wasted my time.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah, I've checked the ingredients list a bunch of times and all of them seem to be either unproven to have any desired effects on humans(but brilliant on rats brains), might possibly help if you have Alzheimer's(or any other age-related) disease but most of them are in a too small dose to do really anything.

There's only one person in that thread who's taken any and he said only that he can remember his dreams better. Have you taken any?

This just sounds like a classic placebo effect. Plus, let's be honest, Joe Rogan is the perfect person to defend his placebo to death.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't taken any Alpha Brain, but I was on piracetam and choline for about 3 months earlier this year and definitely experienced results. Huperzine A is pretty popular by judging on various nootropic distributors' catalogs.

I'd still assume they're overstating the effects though, even on piracetam and pramiracetam (much more potent) I never had a full on lucid dream or experienced some revelation about my life, sure they help with motivation a little and various other subtle things but these aren't the magic genius pills he's selling them as.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I agree. I also used to take piracetam(but stopped because it's a hassle to get over here) and I would say it had a slight effect on my dreams but for the 'brain effects' I'd say maybe. If there was anything it was definitely subtle and/or something of the placebo variety.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

jyrka posted:

Yeah, I've checked the ingredients list a bunch of times and all of them seem to be either unproven to have any desired effects on humans(but brilliant on rats brains), might possibly help if you have Alzheimer's(or any other age-related) disease but most of them are in a too small dose to do really anything.

There's only one person in that thread who's taken any and he said only that he can remember his dreams better. Have you taken any?

This just sounds like a classic placebo effect. Plus, let's be honest, Joe Rogan is the perfect person to defend his placebo to death.

To be fair to Joe, he does admit that they might just be placebos pretty much every show.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Rogan Forums posted:

"The primary ingredient in Alpha Brain is L-dopa (it's the ingredient that people feel / notice the most; it's what causes the lucid dreams). L-dopa works by increasing dopamine levels. If you're under 35 years-old, and you're healthy / normal, you should not take Alpha Brain on a regular basis, because:

Dopamine starts to naturally deplete at around age 35 - 40, which causes the vast majority of side-effects we associate with old-age. Once the depletion begins, it gradually becomes worse with the coming years. If you're under 35, and you're a normal person, your dopamine levels are completely fine. If anything, taking Alpha Brain could be potentially harmful since you'd be causing your dopamine levels to become imbalanced. The older you are, the safer it is to use Alpha Brain without having a doctor supervise you (and monitor your neurotransmitter levels).

I'm not saying you can't take Alpha Brain on certain occasions; for instance: if you're jet-lagged or you partied super hard last night, your dopamine levels may be depleted and you can mess with your neurotransmitter levels without much risk. However, if you are under 35, you should not use Alpha Brain daily; you shouldn't even use it often. It's a very bad idea to alter the levels of vital neurotransmitters when your levels are absolutely fine.

Now let's move back to L-Dopa... I was mind-blown when I found out that virtually no one knows that it is. L-Dopa is a drug, it is only available via prescription, but Aubrey has found a way around the law. He's not putting L-Dopa into Alpha Brain, he's putting an herb that contains L-Dopa into Alpha Brain. Putting the herb into Alpha Brain is totally fine; but putting L-Dopa into Alpha Brain is very illegal. Right now, you should wikipedia "L-Dopa".

First, you'll notice a list of brand-name drugs; the most popular ones in America were Levodopa and Sinemet. They're prescribed to people suffering from Parkinson's. If you scroll down, you'll notice a long list of side-effects that go along with the use of L-Dopa. Calling L-Dopa a drug is totally different from calling Marijuana a drug because L-Dopa really is a drug. Now, if you scroll up to "Therapeutic use", you can read the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph, which says "L-DOPA is converted into dopamine from within the peripheral nervous system". The next sentence is the important one... In laymen terms:

Although L-Dopa is converted into dopamine inside the brain, it's also converted into dopamine outside of the brain; which causes many side-effects. The prescription drug Sinemet contains L-Dopa, but the other thing the pill contains is carbidopa (which is a DDCI); and it contains carbidopa solely to bypass the adverse side-effects caused by the conversion of dopamine outside of the brain. I may be mistaken, but I can't find carbidopa on the list of ingredients in Alpha Brain, which opens up Alpha Brain users to host of adverse side-effects (and decreases the amount of L-Dopa that is converted inside the brain; thereby decreasing the dose).

My father owned an FDA registered, DEA licensed pharmaceutical company that produced very pure supplements (a Vitamin C at least 2x stronger than 100% pure Vitamin C; the only 99+% pure DHEA supplement in the country, etc); and the company developed a few brand-name products. One of those products worked 100% naturally with the body (stimulating the substantia nigra) to restore dopamine levels. Bottom line is: MANY customers who bought this product had previously used Sinemet and levodopa; and they reported definite side-effects from the use of those products.

More importantly: Many people who used the l-dopa drugs reported that it was basically doing nothing for them when they switched to my father's stuff; that's because if you take L-dopa consistently, it begins to build up in the body, and eventually there's some sort of problem with the brain storing dopamine. If you look on the wikipedia article, this issue is addressed at the end of the "Therapeutic Use" section

IT'S VERY disturbing to me that people don't know that L-Dopa is a drug, that they don't know about how how it's toxic (right now, as outlined on Wikipedia, the mainstream will only admit it's toxic on rats; but my father's company was investigating the toxicity over 13 years ago); that they don't know about the list of adverse side-effects; that they don't know that using L-Dopa on a regular basis can put them in a very bad situation later on in life since the brain develops an inability to store dopamine...

Whoa, I just started looking into L-Dopa on the internet to find more information on the brain's inability to store dopamine (because I didn't really know anything beyond that), and I found a few alarming things:

"L-DOPA, may contribute to mitochondrial toxicity in dopaminergic neurons"
-- http://www.lef.org/protocols/neurolo...disease_01.htm

"When the salamanders were treated with L-dopa, the production of new dopamine-producing neurons was almost completely inhibited and the animals were unable to recover"
-- http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0408075150.htm

I also found that there is NO supplement or herb that is a DDCI (like carbidopa); so when you take Alpha Brain, the L-Dopa WILL be converted into dopamine OUTSIDE of your brain; increasing the list of side-effects.

I'm just going to post this right now, so that it's at least out there, and post the rest as soon as possible."

No idea what to make of it, but it's probably a bad sign when the majority of the people on that forum are even skeptical.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
With the little research I did, I know the ingredient he's talking about is mucuna pruriens extract, which has some l-dopa naturally. It looks like you can get it at any vitamin store, it's not shocking that they put it in there.

But he raises a good point, since this is a big cocktail and that's just one of 10 ingredients that can be put into question. At the very least, they could get rid of some useless "antioxiadants", and a couple of parts that really look like new-age snake oils. Then people can have a better idea of what they're putting in their body.

I must be a sucker because I intend to try out alpha-gpc, gaba and inositol. Those are the things where people at least have an explanation of why they work and how they interact. Trying out ginkgo (speaking of placebos) was enough to gently caress with my sleep cycles, so i'd rather not take 10 weird vitamins at once, which is what you're doing with alpha brain.

But I did try C2O today, so I guess advertizing really does work on me :(

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Training all day, Joe Rogan podcast all night - Nick Diaz

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CortezFantastic posted:

Training all day, Joe Rogan podcast all night - Nick Diaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9R8BfMa08Y

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
If he gets on the show, we'll see redban try to interrupt one of his 2 hour rambles. can't wait

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Nick Diaz on the podcast would be absolutely amazing.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Joey Diaz today :)

Redban: "It's like if you got raped in a basement, whenever you'd go in a basement you'd be like 'ew, basements'"

Joe: "... yes Brian."

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

sometimes I watch the recorded ustreams like a goon.. i'll watch it for a little bt then let it play in the background while I do other things. I don't know if Joey Diaz does this often but when Joe complimented him Joey gave an awkward wink directly int o the camera hahah. Is this something he does?

Go to 5:24

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

glassy-eyed bambi posted:

sometimes I watch the recorded ustreams like a goon.. i'll watch it for a little bt then let it play in the background while I do other things. I don't know if Joey Diaz does this often but when Joe complimented him Joey gave an awkward wink directly int o the camera hahah. Is this something he does?

Go to 5:24

I haven't seen him do that before specifically, but yeah, Joey's mannerisms are loving great. Especially when he's freaking the gently caress out and blowing everyone's eardrums out. I pretty much only catch the show by watching Rogan's live ustream and never listen to it in the car or wherever, the video element adds a ton.

This was one of the funniest moments on the show ever, and it's way funnier with video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEM7fB69aA

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

yeah I really like watching podcasts because it's like going from only listening to stand up and then actually seeing it

also how is Joey Diaz only 48? He looks like he could be 60

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Get the gently caress out of here. drat, Joey did some hard living.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I almost threw up listening to that last episode. drat.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CUZ HE'S GANGSTA COCKSUCKA

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
A guy who puts Drano crystals (lye) under his foreskin to fool a drug test will almost certainly look a bit older than he is.

quote:

I must know details, haven't listened yet.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Was it because of Joey's nasty rear end cough?

drat that cocksucka has a nasty rear end cough.

vvv loving gross I forgot about that.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
It was when they were talking about eating chunks of period blood.

Cuz that poo poo's fuckin' gross dawg.