Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Daryl Davis (#1419 from January 30) was one of the best guests I've ever heard on any podcast. Amazing storyteller, and a black man who can befriend Klan members and then get them to ditch their hoods? Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Can't remember if it was said on this podcast or a different one, but several times I've heard people say that this is like the common cold, and there's no vaccine for that, ergo it will be hard to make a vaccine for this.

The "common cold" is a category that includes a wide range of viruses, including, yes, several coronavirus strains, but also hundreds of rhinovirus strains and other things. You need a shotgun strategy to hit all of those, or hell, a flamethrower. This is (so far) one strain that still looks fairly conserved across all sequenced genomes -- 450ish as of today. So it might be easier to develop a vaccine for than "the cold," I hope, although hoo boy I hope we can avoid the dengue/Zika-esque antibody-dependent enhancement effect that the guy just talked about on Joe Rogan. poo poo's nasty.

E: but yeah, a vaccine is still a ways away even if we are able to produce one relatively quickly.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 11, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

buglord posted:

Whatever though, his massive popularity means he gets to bring on really interesting people and I learn a lot. You guys have any more favorite, less political, episodes? War stuff is fine but I need a break from domestic uspol. The cartel interviews were rad, as was Michael Scott Moore (the guy kidnapped by Somali pirates for like 1000 days). I’ve listened to most of the Rhonda Patrick episodes, the sleep expert episode, Michael Pollan.
Chuck Palahniuk (#1158) stands out in my mind. It was mostly Chuck telling really cool stories and Joe giving him space to do so.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

any JRE guest's podcasts goons would recommend?

Your Mom's House isn't good in audio-only form. same goes for their Dr. Drew After Dark show. Good stuff IMO but you wanna watch that on YouTube. Too many video references in it

Bill Burr's Monday Morning podcast is good. Joey Diaz's sucks as we all seem to agree. Duncan Trussell makes pre-show ads very entertaining, but for some reason I find those more memorable than the podcast itself. He's had a few good guests. I remember liking Daniele Bolelli
Lex Fridman's Artificial Intelligence podcast is solid. I don't listen to all of them because some are really technical nerd interviews about computer stuff and machine learning (which might be great if that's your thing). But he also interviews Just Plain Smart people like Garry Kasparov and asks outstandingly good questions.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Slotducks posted:

The freedom of speech grift is all performative and just marketing - Rogan probably doesn't give a gently caress
I loved listening to him jerk off to free speech with Jordan Peterson, then go "you shouldn't be able to say that stuff!" when, not long after, he had on ex-Westboro Baptist Church member Megan Phelps-Roper.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grouchio posted:

If 10 years ago I told JRE fans that Joe Rogan would go the way of Glenn Beck they'd think I was on bath salts.
Pretty sure Rogan and Alex Jones are hogging all the bath salts at this point.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Evil Agita posted:

That's what made this podcast turn into a turd.

Got Snowden on your podcast? Use that time to get angry at teenage girls having opinions on twitter!!!
This seems to be a problem with numerous members of the “intellectual dark web.” About a year ago, Sam Harris had on a journalist who had spent years amongst white supremacist groups, getting to know them and analyzing their psychology, etc. Instead of talking about any of that, Sam spent the bulk of the episode arguing with the guy (who had Buddha-level patience) about whether something Tucker Carlson said was evidence that he’s racist, because Sam can’t shut the gently caress up about dog whistling. It was one of the most infuriating and tedious things I ever listened to.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Joe has less than the memory of a goldfish,
Case in point, he is evidently not getting the vaccine because he feels like he is healthy enough to not need it. Meanwhile, he had on Michael Yo back in the spring. Yo caught covid early in the pandemic. He's is younger than Joe and very health-conscious, and yet he said on the show that his covid case was so horrendously awful, he would have pushed the eject button on life if he had one at the time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

Joe "I'm a liberal but all of my guests and opinions are conservative and libertarian" Rogan
You could fill in something similar for most members of the intellectual dork web. The exceptions being the ones who openly state that they're right wing or conservative.

Fame Douglas posted:

Bill Burr had a really weird rant about the AOC top marginal tax rate of 70% where he complained that this was going to impact the "little guy making over one million". Bill Burr is just as moronic, they're the same.
Bill Burr might be an idiot about the tax rate, but at least when Rogan was saying dumb stuff about not wearing masks, Burr said something to the effect of "Uh I dunno, I'm not a doctor, you're not a doctor, so I think I'll listen to the doctors here and wear a mask."

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

"Classical liberals"
There you go. Like Eric "I'm a liberal but I work for Peter Thiel" Weinstein.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Burr and Rogan both have no real education to speak of. Before they got into comedy, Joe Rogan was a martial arts instructor and delivered newspapers on the side. Bill Burr drove a fork lift. You're getting those takes in with their podcasts.
Rogan's takes are definitely consistent with "supplement peddler who does a ton of drugs and got hit in the head a lot."

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 29, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Rogan's buddy Bret Weinstein and his self-proclaimed "full TERF" wife are backing up Rogan on his vaccine comments, arguing that there's a "strong scientific case" for young people not being vaccinated. They'll be putting that forth on their popular podcast. Note that while Weinstein's accomplishments include grossly misrepresenting what happened at Evergreen, as well as slandering a Nobel laureate on his brother's podcast to the point that said laureate had to disable their social media, his accomplishments do NOT include any attainments of medical expertise. gently caress all these people.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 30, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

I only heard about his wife through another podcast and holy poo poo is she somehow more obnoxious than him.
Yeah, I Don't Speak German (a good leftist podcast that mostly covers neo-Nazis) recently dedicated two episodes to her. Most of these IDW types are roughly the same age, and I wonder if they all collectively huffed too much leaded gasoline when they were kids or something.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/status/1387988785808347137?s=20

It rules how these 40-50 something dorks self radicalize like basement dwelling NEETs
It rules how two PhD evolutionary biologists are glossing over the fact that more infections means more chances for the virus to mutate into even more nightmarish variants.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Saying ridiculous things and then going "I'm just asking questions" or "I'm just a comedian and I'm an idiot, who takes me seriously??" is one of Rogan's go-to moves, so yeah, makes sense that he's besties with this guy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
How much Alex Jones really believes of what he says is anyone's guess, but he's almost certainly a conspiracy nut. I highly recommend the Behind the Bastards episodes on him. In fact I highly recommend Behind the Bastards in general.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In fairness, there is utterly no way to tell whether he has suffered covid-induced brain damage.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Implication: they got in a plane and flew to TX to hang out with someone who very recently tested positive for covid. If they are actually unvaccinated and are relying on ivermectin to protect them from delta, then this could get hilarious real quick.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I wondered if it was like the Sam Harris subreddit where he got pushback when he'd have on especially lovely guests (like Coleman Hughes or Charles Murray).
The Sam Harris sub has a decent number of people who outright hate his guts. Not as many as the Dave Rubin sub (which is a hate sub now), but it’s getting there.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

banned from Starbucks posted:

Pretty much. Hes part of the crop of former Seals that all started writing books after the guy who killed Bin Laden came out with his book. Hes also apparently a big jiu-jitsu guy which is like dudebro catnip to Rogan.
Jocko did an interview on Tim Ferriss's podcast in 2015, followed shortly thereafter by ones with Rogan and Sam Harris. They all advised him to start his own podcast, so he did. Now he's the Discipline Guy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Decoding the Gurus podcast finally released an episode on Rogan. They chose the episode he did recently with Jocko. Highly recommended listening. Also a solid podcast in general.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He would clown all his opponents in debates because he's world class at talking fast. On the other hand, while he believes a considerable amount of dangerous and idiotic poo poo, he has a fair number of non-chud views too, and that might be a dealbreaker for being a Republican presidential candidate. The same could've been said for pre-presidency Trump though.

Maybe all the attention he's getting now will inflate his ego to the point of wanting to run. But being in office would require him to give up or drastically alter many of the things he loves to do, and it's hard to see him doing that. At least for now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Rogan loves to make fun of what he sees as "virtue signaling." Welp, I can't help but think that a whole lotta people in his orbit are virtue signaling right now to show public support of him.

I've long thought that his level of influence kept people from criticizing him when he said dumb or repugnant poo poo. People like Lex Fridman etc clearly want to stay in his rolodex. This is the opposite side of that coin.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

Lmao he's going all in on climate change denial.
It’s probably a good thing for super-rich people with 1000x the carbon footprint of the rest of us to deny

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
There are good comics who aren’t chuds. Hannah Gadsby’s “Douglas” special made me laugh the hardest I’ve laughed in years. I really liked Taylor Tomlinson’s first special (haven’t found time to watch the second yet) and as far as I know she isn’t a crap human.

Also, the wife and I saw Marc Maron in SF in late 2019. It was fun watching him predict the 2020 election a year ahead of time. And take some digs at Rogan.

So yeah, they exist. But there are definitely too many major comics who have gotten where they are because they’ve monetized their incredible level of assholery.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He’s not right-wing though, guys

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Speaker posted:

In a way I'm kind of glad for the increasingly mask-off conservative rhetoric from self-proclaimed 'centrists' and 'liberals'. It's a shot in the dark but I think it's helping people wake up to the idea that liberalism isn't really a leftist ideology... in Canada our answer to 'Democrats and Republicans' are 'Liberals and Conservatives', and when I grew up the narrative was that they did accurately represent the left and the right. IDK if Civics classes in high school have updated that but you don't need to look far, from neanderthals like Joe who call themselves liberal to see something fishy is happening. My former best friend used to call himself a liberal and trot out his disdain for Ayn Rand any time someone would call out some reprehensible conservative thing that he said. He's into Jesse Lee Peterson and Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson poo poo now, and he joined the army. So yeah, I guess he's a liberal.
I broadly agree, though I worry that whenever someone who claims to be a "liberal" or "centrist" or "disaffected Democrat" like Rogan/Bret & Eric Weinstein/etc. turns out to be a right-winger, a lot of their fans still go along with them because of the weird trusting parasocial relationships that podcasters have with their audiences.

Speaking of those folks though, it is endlessly hilarious to me how many of Sam Harris's friends have turned out to be complete lunatics. He has the worst judgment of all time when it comes to picking friends.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't know if he still does but he used to defend Douglas Murray whose "press" tour for his most recent book is him going on Stormfront screeds.
I initially misread your post as being about Charles Murray, but I don’t think it makes much difference wrt Sam aside from (as far as I know) Charles not having a new book out.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 3, 2022