Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

beep by grandpa posted:

Did you guys gear the audio from edmund's corner during the fight? He spends all 48 seconds yelling MOVE YOUR HEAD, MOVE YOUR HEAD and then CLINCH, CLINCH in the final seconds. Spoilers, she does neither of these and then dies.

Edmund is a bad coach, but it makes me wonder if Rousey just doesn't understand boxing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Rollins episode was worth it just to hear what David Lee Roth is up to.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CortezFantastic posted:

Alex really trying to both expand the pizzagate mythos but also try to distance his part in it was maddening with zero push back from Rogan.

He does that really annoying thing of "I don't want to admit any wrongdoing. So I'm going to double down instead."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Piquai Souban posted:

After a difficult run, Moshe Kasher is a very tempting listen, as long as Joe doesn't try to Milosplain like with Pete Holmes.

I liked it, Moshe was a good guest.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah, that's Maron. He's a self aware, super insecure, jealous nutjob. He's like that all the time with everyone. There's a video of Patrice O'Neal beating him on stage because he wouldn't stop self righteously making GBS threads on him. He didn't talk to Louis ck for years because he couldn't handle Louie's success. John Stewart still won't talk to him because Maron teased him relentlessly for having the gall to host a successful TV show.

There is a part of Maron that feels that R ogan is a stupid jock with no business engaging in the high art of standup. He's aware that its dumb as gently caress, but its still how he feels and sometimes it still gets the better of him.

That CK episode was great, specifically when Louis says that above all, Maron was just a lovely friend. He isn't saying it to hurt him, but he says it because he needs Maron to know that cutting someone off because you're jealous of their success makes you a lovely person.

I generally like Maron's show but his lack of research is pretty annoying. I get his reasoning sometimes that he would just rather learn about guests work from the guest, but then they reference something and he has to get them to explain it anyway. I feel like half of the Louis Theroux episode is him just explaining poo poo that Maron should know.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JGdmn posted:

He generally does do research on musicians, but I don't think he does a great job with the entertainment/comedy guests.

I think Maron really wanted to be a musical icon.

It's weird but I only really listen to Maron's or Rogan's podcast when I'm familiar with the guest, but for completely different reasons.

He's so hit and miss. Like he had an interview recently with Anne Hathaway and seemed to know everything about her career, likewise Walter Hill (Though he does an annoying thing where he'll get someone like Hill or William Friedkin on and say something like "So you made The Exorcist, does that still hold up?". Like, what does he expect them to say?) but then he'll have someone else on and barely know a thing about them, like when he couldn't hide his very obvious disappointment upon learning that Hayley Joel Osment had good parents and an ordinary life and didn't go off the rails, something he probably could've learned if he just googled the guys name.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Piquai Souban posted:

Maybe this time Joe can figure out why Alex Jones thinks Sandy Hook is a hoax?

He dodged the gently caress out of it in the Megyn Kelly interview ("Why aren't the parents upset about the dead Iraqi kids," he said. Presumably because it's not their kids) which is pretty telling. But initially, he said it was because the Uniform Crime Reports didn't list any crimes for Newtown in 2012, therefore, it couldn't have happened (Imagine all that planning into a huge hoax and someone fucks up a simple report, silly Government). They were however included in Connecticut's overall statistics instead, which Jones ignores.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jesus Joe how loving stupid are you to buy Roseanne's excuses and ignore her history of saying lovely things.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

If we watched the same clip it loving rules that Peterson argues against a complete fantasy world overrun by polygamists or something. Where guys can't get a girlfriend because a handful of dudes are hoarding all the women.

That's all assuming he really believes what he's saying and isn't just a huckster trying to get alienated guys who can't maintain stable relationships to buy his books and pay to attend his talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fpZ3vOdm4

I would never have thought that Peterson's repeated argument essentially boils down to "Won't somebody think of the children?"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

I'm 43 minutes into this and I think DDP is a good dude but gently caress EVERY time he's on a podcast he only talks about his yoga the whole time, he probably has so many cool stories and I have to hear the same shill every time

Even in the Jake The Snake documentary (Which, to be fair, DDP was instrumental in aiding him in his recovery) he can't stop pimping Yoga. He jokes that he's a shameless self-promoter, but sometimes he lays it on way too thick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Morphix posted:

this is so perfectly rogan

Haha loving hell he's an idiot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Don't sleep on the Ioan Grillo episode. It was genuinely interesting stuff about crime in South America.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Joe was on Alex Jones' show again. The same show where Jones intimates that a bereaved father didn't actually kill himself but was in fact murdered, possibly as an effort to silence Jones.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Joe was fighting so hard to push the idea that Alpha and Beta males are a thing. I feel like Conover was just trying to be polite because Joe was saying some really ignorant poo poo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Joe has this weird assertion that an 'alpha' is always an alpha regardless of the situation, which falls apart the moment you think about it just a little bit.

Ultimately Conover's point seems to be that the breadth and depth of societal interactions in humans doesn't allow for something as simplistic as 'alpha' and 'beta' constructs and all Joe can do is hammer on about "take those words away" (they're just words though Joe, why you getting so offended) and how men always like a fuller-figured lady.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Eddie Izzard was good, Jeselnik was good, Lindsay Fitzharris was good, that guy talking old civilisations was fascinating. There's probably no need to listen to anything else.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Because I keep doing it to myself (and because Joe has legit had some good guests recently), I caught Joe still defending Ben Shapiro and his disastrous BBC interview as being down to 2 things:

1) Doing the interview from a distance and 2) The restrictive time format.

Its genuinely amazing how he can point at that interview and say well Ben just didn't handle those things well and not the fact that when his usual tactics don't work Shapiro gets exposed for who he is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

sweet_jones posted:

That's what I do. I have to admit though, I recently decided to play an episode based on the description of a journalist with a new book on the CIA...and turned it off thirty minutes into alien and Area 51 talk.

It's a shame, because once you get past that alien stuff it's a great episode. They get into a lot of interesting topics.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah its geniunely amazing he could see it differently than you lol. the podcast isnt woke enough

Ben Shapiro thanks you for your unwavering support during this embarrassing time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

toggle posted:

it was that cia/area 51 journalist. when she stopped doing that, surprisingly, the interview was better

Yeah it happens sometimes like that, but when they get out of Area 51 poo poo her interview ended up being great and informative.

Lindsey Fitzharris was another great one and I ended up getting her book off the back of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Ms Pat one was great and I don't remember the last time I saw Joe laugh so hard and so frequently. Though, Jesus Christ, her life story.

Her stepdad telling her that "Your mind and body weren't 12 years old" as justification for raping her would probably be enough to send most people into a murderous rage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Did Aykroyd's encounter with a ghost in his bed come before or after he wrote that exact scene into GHOSTBUSTERS?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Joe buying into Obamagate is the least surprising thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Piquai Souban posted:

I used to listen to LPOTL every week, but if it’s not in Overcast it’s kinda out of mind - have never tried to listen to podcasts in Spotify. I think Patreon could solve that, but I moved on.

I’m sure them and Joe will lose 1 of me for gaining access to 2-3 new people, I’m in the minority.

I was an avid LPOTL listener and stopped when they went to Spotify. Its personal preference really and I don't want Spotify getting poo poo up with podcast recommendations.

Plus personally I think the show had suffered since they're spreading themselves a bit thin.

As for the Rogan move, I saw Cernovich on twitter claiming it as a good move and how YouTube is increasingly draconian, presumably because they won't monetise people who say the N-word.

Also Spotify not paying artists fairly, building up their brand and spending 100 million on a podcaster is just depressing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

But every now and then he has a guest on like the guy who wrote the Manson book and it's a 3 hour deep dive into a fascinating topic and it brings me back around again.

Yeah, even though I'm majorly skeptical of where his claims take him.

Like, yes there's actually doubt about Mason's motives in those killings. In fact there's always been doubt. Manson had talked about The Beatles, had indeed said they were talking to him through song and said they were alerting him to a race war but Manson said a lot of crazy poo poo.

Then, when he orders the family out to kill he tells them to write something 'witchy' on the walls which is what they do. They happen to reference The Beatles, so that's the motive the prosecution went with. Even Vince Bugliosi in his book knows this is flimsy but it's also all they have.

The reality is more likely that Manson, who was floating around on the fringes of famous people but scared them off through being a piece of poo poo, wanted to kill someone who had aggrieved him in the past. That someone was Terry Melcher. Melcher lived at Cielo Drive, so that's where they went.

The problem with the guys Rogan tends to have on is that that isn't enough. Instead Manson was in CIA experiments or was a secret operative and they find 1001 connections to all these different historical figures and events.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rogan saying "get rid of cops? Who are you going to call when someone robs your house?" shows that he's actually had very little real world experience with the police.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bill Burr dragging Rogan for his stance on masks is hilarious. As is how insecure Rogan really is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Joe going completely silent when Bill argued "we're two guys with no medical qualifications between us, so I take the sensible route of just doing what all the actual doctors in the CDC tell me to" is fantastic. Cuz even Joe realizes that logic is completely bulletproof and if he did argue, he'd look even dumber than usual.

Its also pretty telling that his attitude to it changed when he realised he hadn't and likely wouldn't be impacted by it. Now all of a sudden wearing a mask is a "bitch move".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Surprised to see Rogan push back on some of Ben Shapiro's bullshit. He must've been making GBS threads himself when Jamie pulled up that video of Colin Kapernack explaining why he decided to take a knee.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Joe's latest sees him on a bad comedown talking some copaganda.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Louis Thereoux is a weird one. Unless Spotify don't want any Scientology talk.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

gently caress Diaz too but it is hilarious seeing Rogan get on Spotify, say something dumb and then immediately have to put out an apology.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

toggle posted:

Jamie got the crow?

He did and its shut down the shows for now, including that Kanye one (which he was designing the set for?).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/AllLoveHipHop/status/1319748619004764160?s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Why is Reddit spilling over into this thread

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's been something to watch Joe's fanbase turn against him. The sub-reddit exists mostly to mock his uninformed takes and his guests (though some of the old crowd are still there) and the comments on YouTube keep taking about how he's just a shill for Spotify now and has to watch what he says. I'm sure he's going to cry into his pile of money and all that but it's surprising how quick the rejection came. Once he unveiled his uncomfortable looking bunker it was all over.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Kind of relevant to what we've been talking about : https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/spotifys-big-bet-on-podcasts-is-failing-citi-says.html

Essentially Spotify bought up these podcasters for the advertising revenue but there's no real indication that it's done anything to move the needle.

My own theory is the disposability of media now has made it really easy for people to shrug their shoulders when something has moved to another platform. Again, using the sub Reddit as an example (and it has 654,000 members) a lot of people indicate they catch clips on YouTube when they get posted but they don't listen to full episodes anymore. Any talk of listening to the full episode is usually to complain about Spotify ads.

Brand loyalty doesn't exist the way it used to, not unless you're Disney.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah but Disney+ works good, and Spotify podcasts are extremely buggy. If Disney+ was a poo poo app it would be different. Everything is a matter of convenience.

I don't know that buggy UI would stop people flocking towards WANDAVISION though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Spotify also scooped the Last Podcast guys... I'm not really sure who spotify were looking to bring to their service.

I was a big fan as well and I didn't follow them after they made the move. Got no problem supporting the Patreon but keeping that and the Spotify exclusivity (and their weird anti-Apple rationale) soured me on it.

I figured their biggest purchase was getting The Ringer, but in all honesty until I read it in the article I'd forgotten they bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty much any company that sells anything on the app store has an "anti-apple rationale", because a 30% cut even on subscription services bought through the app store is absurd. The exception are a few companies that get sweetheart deals from Apple, while others simply don't sell subscriptions through anything but their website (which they can't advertise in the app).

There's a reason a coalition of companies is complaining about this to the FTC and the EU.

To be fair in that particular case they seemed to think Apple had some hold over all of podcasting (this was when the podcast was free). I wish I could remember their complaint now because it sounded wrong immediately. I agree with the rest of the anti-Apple stuff, though I do think it's funny that they jumped ship to a platform that pays Artists even less than Apple do for streaming.