Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

http://www.nerdist.com/podcast_channel/nerdist-podcast-channel/

What is this?

The Nerdist Podcast is a weekly conversational interview show hosted by Chris Hardwick who is usually accompanied by his two nerdy friends Jonah Ray and Matt Mira. The audio podcasts are typically an hour in length and include conversations with notable comedians or entertainers. Guests are varied (though typically relate to either stand-up comedy, nerd culture, or both) and have included Rob Zombie, Stan Lee, Ozzy Osbourne, Jeri Ryan and Drew Carey.

The Hosts:

Chris Hardwick (aka Big C)

Chris Hardwick is the self titled Nerdist stand-up comedian, actor, writer, musician, podcaster, television personality, and voice artist. He is most recognizable as the host from MTV's Singled Out back in the mid 90s. He tends to slobber over his guests while interjecting himself into every conversation, but his personality really drives the podcast.

Jonah Ray (Vajonah)

The so called hipster authority on zombies, Jonah Ray is a writer/comedian originally from Kailua, Oahu. He’s written and performed on shows like Human Giant, Supernews, Attack of the Show, Comedy Centrals Live At Gotham and Web Soup. He also puts together a weekly comedy show at MELTDOWN COMIC BOOKS in Los Angeles with Kumail Nanjiani called Nerd Melt which is extremely popular with the California comic scene.

Matt Mira (Mira Booey)

The fruit store genius token fat guy pursuing a career in comedy. Made famous on Tosh.0 from a video where he falls off and gets run over by a golf cart. He recently quit his job with Apple to spend more time working on his stand-up while writing for G4's Attack of the Show.

Infamous Golf Cart Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEja1zCsbQ

Where do I get it?
http://www.nerdist.com
http://nerdist.libsyn.com/
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-nerdist/id355187485

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Nerdist is really good when they aren't representing themselves as authorities on anything. When it's just discussion, it's pretty good.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The newest episode with Tom Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future) is one of the best I've heard in a while. I knew he did stand-up but had never really followed his stuff. They even announced him having his own podcast coming soon under the Nerdist Industries banner.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

This is my favorite podcast so im stoked to see a thread for it. But I tried listening to the Big Bang Theory one and I just couldnt because it was basically Chris interviewing the cast and crew at Comic Con and since I dont watch the show, it was kind of lame so I had to stop like 15 minutes in.

Do we talk about the other podcasts in here under the Nerdist banner like Making It or Indoor Kids? I love those shows too.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

This is my favorite podcast so im stoked to see a thread for it. But I tried listening to the Big Bang Theory one and I just couldnt because it was basically Chris interviewing the cast and crew at Comic Con and since I dont watch the show, it was kind of lame so I had to stop like 15 minutes in.

Do we talk about the other podcasts in here under the Nerdist banner like Making It or Indoor Kids? I love those shows too.

I to am a big fan of the Indoor Kids as well, so I don't see a problem with talking about any of the Nerdist Industries podcasts in here.

Then panel podcasts can be hit or miss, especially if you aren't a fan of whatever show they are covering. The audio quality tends to be lovely, and we lose a lot of the visual laughs. Luckily they are pretty few and far between in release.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I think the Hostful episodes are consistently some of the better episodes since it's the three of them riffing together, and they have good chemistry together. The Guestful episodes vary depending on your interest in the guest and how the guys interact with them. They don't bring total strangers onto the show and usually it's someone who's work they're familiar with and typically can Nerd Out on. The Rob Kirkman episode was good, the Jeri Ryan/Julie Benz episodes, not so much. YMMV. I love the show though.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What was the genesis of the, "Enjoy your burrito" line that they seem to have turned into some self help thing?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
It comes from when Jonah was a miserable dude and eating a burrito was the high point of his day. He used to be depressed eating the burrito because it was the high point of his day, until he saw it differently and realized he was in the middle of the best part of his day. He learned to stop and savor the good moments in life, to, quite literally, enjoy his burrito.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The show can be good as long as they aren't trying too hard to appeal to nerds. Whenever they use the term "nerd culture," it is a good idea to skip ahead 10 minutes.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

beepo posted:

The show can be good as long as they aren't trying too hard to appeal to nerds. Whenever they use the term "nerd culture," it is a good idea to skip ahead 10 minutes.

Yeah. It was just really grating in the Simon Pegg podcast where Hardwick is "nerd culture" this and "nerd culture" that...I mean, the guy co-wrote Spaced, its not like he's an outsider looking in at nerd stuff.

I genuinely like the show--but Hardwick is touch and go for me sometimes. His success is so cool and he talks a lot about self-help and positivity in pretty concrete terms (especially in hostful podcasts) but other times he has this weird, forced sincerity or tone throughout his humor that feels grating to me.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I feel the same way as chazburger. I always look forward to the Hostful episodes because they are generally much funnier than the guest episodes. There are so many great "inside jokes" that come from Hostful episodes alone. (I still laugh and wonder why I never thought of "casa de queso").

I will never get tired of listening to the Wil Wheaton episode, though. It prevents me from going insane on 9-hour road trips.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Wil Wheaton episode definitely deserves a second listen and I'm giving the Tom Wilson one another go.

Hardwick was on WTF this week and it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the future Nerdist ep with Chris' dad.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
The Wil Wheaton episode is the best, but the Mat Smith and Karen Gillian episode from Comic Con this year was amazing too. They have this three way Star Trek/Dr Who nerdout with Wil that is just hilarious.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The Dr. Who Comic Con episode was really good. I got a kick out of Mat Smith gushing over Wil, while Wil was nerdgasming over Karen.

I do enjoy the hostful episodes more than the guest ones, but they have had some really great guests (and a few duds) that no one else has nabbed. I wish in the recent Tom Wilson episode that they would have brought up their Back to the Future Goldie Wilson musical that started way back on the Donald Glover one.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Doctor Who/Stand By Me :eng101:

That episode was pretty great as well. That's where "Cape of Dicks" spawned from, yeah? Wheaton's hyper-fanboying was one of the many highlights of the episode.

"My goal is to get rid of everyone in this room so it's just me and Karen Gillan before the show is over."
[Audience cheers]
"NO, DON'T APPLAUD. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE TOO."

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.
The Nerdist was the podcast that first got me into podcasts. However, I stopped listening when they started doing episodes without guests. I see here some people liked them, but they bored me senseless. Can anyone recommend me a guestless episode that really stands out? I can give it a try.

Cylon
May 5, 2002

I'm going to be the next Canadian Dracula

A Total Melvin posted:

The Nerdist was the podcast that first got me into podcasts. However, I stopped listening when they started doing episodes without guests. I see here some people liked them, but they bored me senseless. Can anyone recommend me a guestless episode that really stands out? I can give it a try.

I think it's kind of hard to stand out against the guest episodes when the premise of the Hostful episodes is just them talking about funny things that happened to them that week and having fun about being nerds.

These episodes stuck out for me though:

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/nerdist-podcast-103-breakfast-beers/
http://www.nerdist.com/2011/04/nerdist-podcast-78-large-puppy/
http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/nerdist-podcast-107-mattstronaut/

On another note, how are people feeling about the Nerdist TV pilot? The guests and topics covered weren't new to anyone who listened to the show for a long time but I enjoyed it and hope that if the show got picked up they'd get an hour slot to work with.

Pielid
Aug 13, 2009

Hey I just finished a Philosophy 101 class here I'll tell you all about it!
Nthing the hostful episodes are naturally better sentiment. They sound great together, even though it's mostly Chris and Jonah riffing and when MiraBooey says one thing they call him fat. Black Dynamite panel remains my favorite episode. The movie is amazing, all the information and stories just make me appreciate it that much more.

This thread reminds me to go download the TV show from iTunes.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I enjoyed the TV pilot. My only gripe about it would be that it's much too short of a time frame. There's barely enough time for them to do much of anything, and you can tell how rushed they seem. It would be perfect if the show was 45-60 minutes long.

At any rate, I'm still giddy from seeing more of Mike Phirman (despite the somewhat awkward end song). Also, he should keep his hair short more often... :allears:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Crossposting from the Comedy Podcast thread, because I didn't notice there was a Nerdist thread because I don't observe things:

I thought the BBC pilot had some funny moments, but parts of it felt kind of strained, and I thought David O’Doherty's piece was completely unnecessary. I'm guessing the Beeb insisted upon it or something, but whatever - at least it was short. Also, too many shots of audience members laughing at jokes. I get the impression this is another British TV thing, but I don't know that for certain. Anyway, Craig Ferguson was hilarious, as always, and I liked that he got to be more dirty than he usually is on CBS. Matt Smith was also charming, in a kind of shy, awww-shucks way.

Overall, it didn't strike me as anything that I don't hear regularly on the podcast, but then again, that's probably not the metric by which people should be judging this pilot. For a talk show, even a deep cable one, I thought it was pretty funny and had a good deal of potential to be something pretty groundbreaking. I wish there had been fewer bits and more of Hardwick just riffing with Matt and Jonah, but I understand that this is one of the things that separate TV from podcasts.

Anyway, bottom line is, I hope the show got enough viewers to warrant some more episodes, because I think i could be fun, and I genuinely like these guys and want them to succeed. I wouldn't say I'm expecting that to be the outcome, but hey - it could be fun.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The BBC pilot was decent, but felt rushed because of the 30 minute time crunch. It was certainly much better than Doug Benson's Benson Interruption on Comedy Central earlier this year.

I to hope they get the chance to do some more episodes to flesh it out, but being on BBCA doesn't quite seem to fit the format of the show.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
I felt the show was good too but I agree with everyone's sentiment that it all felt really rushed. I think an hour time slot would be better especially if the Doherty type segments are something they wanna take forward. On a side note, I didn't really dig that segment, but hey, it was the pilot.

e: Just noticed on the Nerdist's twitter that the pilot made the top 10 Comedy TV list on iTunes. Do the networks care about iTunes yet? I don't know much about how the ratings systems work. Do they only count people who watched the show during air time? Do they count DVR'd poo poo? iTunes? Amazon? I JUST DON'T KNOW.

Kabraxis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 26, 2011

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.

Cylon posted:

I think it's kind of hard to stand out against the guest episodes when the premise of the Hostful episodes is just them talking about funny things that happened to them that week and having fun about being nerds.

On another note, how are people feeling about the Nerdist TV pilot? The guests and topics covered weren't new to anyone who listened to the show for a long time but I enjoyed it and hope that if the show got picked up they'd get an hour slot to work with.

So I gave one of the ones you recommended a shot. Nah didn't do it for me. Guess their chatter isn't my thing. Thanks anyway.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to watch the Nerdist TV show online, preferably without installing iTunes?

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

It's available on Amazon Instant Video.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I just discovered this podcast (and am pretty new to podcasts in general), so in a few weeks or so I'll have a definite opinion on all this. Right now it's still shiny and new and hilarious. It doesn't hurt any that they featured Motion City Soundtrack, who I love.

I've been listening to Making It, which I absolutely love. This could have something to do with the crush I have on Riki Lindhome. There's just something about a funny girl who sings songs about handjobs.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Cylon posted:

The Mattstronaut episode is both the best and the worst of the hostful podcasts. Matt is talking about his amazing experience visiting NASA for a tweet-up and watch the final Shuttle-launch, a literal dream come true. In one part, where he's talking about the launch-pad itself he keeps getting interrupted by Chris doing some song and eventually gives up telling it.

You sing too much and have a screamy personality that interrupts conversations Chris :argh:
Otherwise I really enjoy the Nerdist :unsmith:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Ugh, Penn & Teller are on the show today. I don't think I'm going to be able to listen to this one unless it deals exclusively with comedy and magic. Someone want to report in and tell us if it's just Penn's usual Tea Party tard-screed?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Penn was on Kevin Smith's daily show an there were no politics, it was actually a really good conversation about the business and he was just cool as hell.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I've only listened to half of the Nerdist interview, but so far it has been really fascinating and not political at all.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I am also not a fan of Penn's politics, but this was really good throughout.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Glad to hear it, thanks. I'll give it a listen, then. Part of the reason why I have such a negative reaction towards them, I think, is because I really did find them both funny and excellent performers - before I saw "Bullshit!" and Penn went on his weird "libertarian/anti-theist" crusade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I love Jonah Ray and think the podcast is very good for the most part, but lately they've had on a ton of guests that I just do not give a gently caress about at all, and the show is almost impossible to listen to when they're excited for/nerding out about stuff I'm not a fan of. I tried listening to the Jeri Ryan one, and that was kind of a waste of time, then swore off episodes with people I don't like after the Zooey Deschanel one. What a zero. If I can't look at her, I don't give a gently caress. The hostful episodes are the best imo.

I was gonna skip the Penn & Teller one, but I'll probably give it a shot after reading this thread. I always liked their magic act and thought they were very entertaining outside their duckshit retarded politics.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I stopped listening a few months ago when I could no longer stand Matt Mira sucking all the funny out of the room. And it was starting to feel like "The Let's Protect Matt Mira's Fragile Self-Esteem Podcast". Is he still a pain in the rear end? I enjoy Hardwick and Ray, but goddamn Mira is a loving buzzkill.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FitFortDanga posted:

I stopped listening a few months ago when I could no longer stand Matt Mira sucking all the funny out of the room. And it was starting to feel like "The Let's Protect Matt Mira's Fragile Self-Esteem Podcast". Is he still a pain in the rear end? I enjoy Hardwick and Ray, but goddamn Mira is a loving buzzkill.

Mira is much less of a buzz kill now that they can say he used to work at the Apple Store. Him actually having work outside of that place seems to have brightened his mood and recently they've given him a great deal of well deserved poo poo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

I was gonna skip the Penn & Teller one, but I'll probably give it a shot after reading this thread. I always liked their magic act and thought they were very entertaining outside their duckshit retarded politics.

Is it just me, or does Penn sound a lot like James Adomian doing Jesse Ventura? I'm not talking about the content, but the way his voice sounds.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

If anyone hasn't yet, listen to the Tom Wilson episode. It is fantastic.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

At least they've all stopped talking about how much weight Matt's been losing. It started to get old after two or three episodes.

The Matt Mira Pity Party can get annoying after a bit, but at least it doesn't happen too often. In my opinion, he's much more tolerable than Chris. Chris is constantly talking over/interrupting people, and he always breaks into song. It can be funny at times, usually if the other two join in and harmonize, but other than that it makes me think, "OKAY. I get it. You have a great singing voice. Shut up now so I can hear Jonah be sarcastic more."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I don't listen to it much, just when a guest intrigues me. The latest one with Penn was pretty fantastic, now I know that chimpanzees will tear apart and kill little people if they ever see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Walrus Truck posted:

Chris is constantly talking over/interrupting people

I love Chris Hardwick, but have to agree that he talks over and interrupts people. It's is odd because he's been professionally hosting things for, what, 15 years now?

• Locked thread