Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris would be much funnier if he spoke less or didn't try so hard.

About 10% of his jokes are awful.
Usually it's doing a nerd voice and forcing a joke that isn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The problem with that though is he gets a positive reaction from the audience in the live shows when he does it, so that just eggs him on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Geekslinger posted:

The problem with that though is he gets a positive reaction from the audience in the live shows when he does it, so that just eggs him on.

So the core problem is people liking what you don't like?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Glitterbomber posted:

So the core problem is people liking what you don't like?

I think what he's referring to is sympathy-applause or cheering just because they're fans, and not because they actually find the joke funny. I love Chris and think he's hilarious most of the time, but I definitely get the impression that he sometimes learns the wrong lesson from his live interactions, ie: I'm getting applause and laughs; ergo, that joke must be funny.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I think the show with Penn Jillette is one of the best episodes of the podcast yet, honestly - it would have utterly sucked if he'd gone into his politics, but when he sticks to stories about insane parties and poo poo, it's great.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
The bit about how poor people live like royalty from 300 years ago was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard put into words but other than that it was great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BklynBruzer posted:

I think the show with Penn Jillette is one of the best episodes of the podcast yet, honestly - it would have utterly sucked if he'd gone into his politics, but when he sticks to stories about insane parties and poo poo, it's great.

Yea as much as I abhor his politics, I love when Penn talks about his career and all because he has so many great stories and, when not screaming how the poor don't REALLY need help, he is an excellent storyteller. I agree that one was one of the best.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Majorian posted:

I think what he's referring to is sympathy-applause or cheering just because they're fans, and not because they actually find the joke funny. I love Chris and think he's hilarious most of the time, but I definitely get the impression that he sometimes learns the wrong lesson from his live interactions, ie: I'm getting applause and laughs; ergo, that joke must be funny.

This is exactly what I was getting at.

Really the only negative response they've ever gotten from a live show podcast was the Amy Winehouse cracks, and when Matt was talking about Maggie Gyllenhaal's stroke face.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Anyone remember the url for the song poems Penn was talking about? I'd kind of like to listen to some.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

God drat the Tom Wilson episode is great.

Good personal background, cool BTTF stuff and dealing with being famous for one role, then he comes out of nowhere with amazing Comedy Store tales.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Yay Pudding! posted:

Anyone remember the url for the song poems Penn was talking about? I'd kind of like to listen to some.

He doesn't give a specific URL but says what to search for to find it. I believe this is the site he was referring to.

http://www.songpoemmusic.com/

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Any goons going to the late Nerdist taping tomorrow night in NYC? It should be awesome.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
AHHHHHH HOLY poo poo THE LIVE PODCAST WAS AWESOME.

Anyone who was there, I was the big dude up at the front with the R2D2 and C3PO as a Dalek and a Cyberman shirt that got commented on a couple of times.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I am insanely jealous, bro. UGH WHY DOES EVERYTHING AWESOME HAPPEN IN NEW YORK. :mad:

What was the turnout for the show?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Walrus Truck posted:

I am insanely jealous, bro. UGH WHY DOES EVERYTHING AWESOME HAPPEN IN NEW YORK. :mad:

What was the turnout for the show?

Wasn't a huge theater, but it was thoroughly packed. Apparently they sold out the early and late shows.

If they put out a podcast of the Jim Gaffigan show, I'm the guy who asks the first question, about their favorite standup comedians. And I was the guy who heckled the Red Sox.

Oh, and there's this:

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 18, 2011

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
I'm glad to hear the New York shows were good.

In more recent news I listened to the John Hodgeman interview today and......I don't get it. He's got some funny moments on the Daily Show, but I just don't see the appeal overall. The episode to me felt like a steaming pile of awkward sprinkled with awful.

I was a little shocked since I'm positive about most episodes and this one stunk like fish left out all week.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Does anyone else feel that Chris's book sounds a bit like a guide to living with Aspergers?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Kabraxis posted:

In more recent news I listened to the John Hodgeman interview today and......I don't get it. He's got some funny moments on the Daily Show, but I just don't see the appeal overall. The episode to me felt like a steaming pile of awkward sprinkled with awful.

I was a little shocked since I'm positive about most episodes and this one stunk like fish left out all week.
He's great on 'Bored To Death' if only because he plays an unappealing nemesis to the shows main character.
"Unhand me you philistine!"

Also gonna chime in and say I really like Mira, especially after he left Apple. But then again I'm a huge spacenerd and hate zombiefans, which might skew my opinions. Also the face stroke joke was great, only the german accent sucked :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Whenever anyone on the Nerdist talks about a social group (poor people, college kids, etc.) poo poo gets seriously retarded. None of them seem to have any idea what real life is like and that you don't make ridiculously broad and reductionist generalizations about a a huge group of people you know almost nothing about. Your experiences are not universal. That said the TJ Miller episode was pretty good

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

indigi posted:

Whenever anyone on the Nerdist talks about a social group (poor people, college kids, etc.) poo poo gets seriously retarded. None of them seem to have any idea what real life is like and that you don't make ridiculously broad and reductionist generalizations about a a huge group of people you know almost nothing about. Your experiences are not universal. That said the TJ Miller episode was pretty good

Yeah, when Hardwick talks about the midwest or other places where his stuff doesnt really fly...I mean, sometimes he's fully-aware that he's more internet-famous than anything else and he has a dedicated audience but other times he doesnt realiza that his comedy tour named after a D&D term might not be a crossover thing.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Kabraxis posted:

I think it's because Chris tries to match the tempo and the pace of the guest he's with to make them feel comfortable or at least equal. Maybe it was just through my ears, but it felt like Chris was trying to get on the same intellectual level that Hodgman portrays through his books, podcasts, and appearances and that sort of jarred with the typical Nerdist we're used to and made everything feel slightly detached, though it was the same voices we're used to.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The TJ Miller episode was good other than Chris alternating between hating people and accepting he has a limited appeal.

I'm skeptical about their tangent on college crowds getting on their case for bringing up ethnicity because they lack life experience.
Are college crowds making GBS threads on well constructed stories that hinge on knowing a guy is Mexican or hacky jokes?
The show got a little Gallagherish there.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 28, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you turn up to a show on your college campus and hear a comedian you don't know tell a joke that contains "so this Mexican guy..." it's not TOTALLY UNREASONABLE to think that something racist might be soon to follow!

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Can we all agree that out of all the podcasts that consistently do live shows that the Nerdist seems to always get the absolute worst audiences?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy poo poo is Portland obnoxious.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Can we all agree that out of all the podcasts that consistently do live shows that the Nerdist seems to always get the absolute worst audiences?

I haven't listened to the Portland one yet, but the late NYC show was a pretty good audience. (Dunno about the earlier show.) (Biased because I was part of it.)

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I think it could have been worse. They were pretty tolerable up until the point they discussed the heckler. After that it just gave the heckler woman more fuel and she would just yell out things in a slightly annoying manner.

What did you guys think about the couple at the end? I thought it was cute, but at the same time it seemed kind of rude for him to just get up and do it without asking for permission beforehand. I am happy for them, nevertheless.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

Walrus Truck posted:

I think it could have been worse. They were pretty tolerable up until the point they discussed the heckler. After that it just gave the heckler woman more fuel and she would just yell out things in a slightly annoying manner.

What did you guys think about the couple at the end? I thought it was cute, but at the same time it seemed kind of rude for him to just get up and do it without asking for permission beforehand. I am happy for them, nevertheless.

I didn't mind it really. It was a sort of sweet thing that took away my annoyance at the audience at the end of the show. For the couple it'd be pretty cool down the road since all they'd have to do is hit play in iTunes and relive the experience. I'm only a few years into my marriage so it doesn't seem all that long ago that I was dropping to one knee which makes me a little biased I guess.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Chris Hardwick is on Opie & Anthony right now.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, the most recent Hostful episode says that the NYC shows' audio files were so thoroughly hosed that they can't post them. :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How's the Neil DeGrasse Tyson one that's gone up?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He's a boss.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Surprisingly funny, but also a really good guest.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

The_Doctor posted:

I could listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson read the ingredients off of boxes for two hours.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It's good and worth a listen if you like Neil or think you'd be interested in astrophysics but have only the most passing knowledge of it. Neil is great and is pretty loving good at explaining super abstract and theoretical physics concepts to regular people and if you don't know him this is a great introduction to him. I love Tyson and appreciate what he was trying to do here, but he kept attempting to drop "whoa... did I just blow your loving mind?!" bitlets and facts that aren't anything new or special if you know a little bit of pop theoretical physics. Matt kept shoehorning in his superfan poo poo which got tedious but is understandable cause the guy is apparently one of his idols, and Chris kept trying to prove how smart he was, but overall it's pretty entertaining.

indigi fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 10, 2011

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

YESSSSSS. BBCA just picked up 5 more Nerdist TV specials! Excitement. :dance:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've read the OP a few times and I'm a little confused about what this show is about. I really want to give it shot, but I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. What is this show really about?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

screenwritersblues posted:

I've read the OP a few times and I'm a little confused about what this show is about. I really want to give it shot, but I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. What is this show really about?

3 comics bullshitting with a sprinkling of interviews. That said Neil Degrasse Tyson was great on the latest and barley lets Chris get a word in.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Also Chris did that loving annoying I'm-singing-a-song-while-your-trying-to-talk. We get it, you're in a comedy band with what's his name, but loving stop doing it over someone else trying to talk.
It could be a fun thing to sing a few notes if it's a comedic timing thing, but it keeps on going.
Otherwise really liked the Neil Degrasse interview, but at that moment I just had to shout "shut the gently caress up Chris".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah, he seriously needs to quit that poo poo. Also he's not that good of a singer that I ever care to hear him sing.

• Locked thread