Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«23 »
  • Locked thread
BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Holy poo poo. The Conan episode was amazing.
And I loved that like 92% of all the words came from Conan. They just asked a question here and there and Conan completely carried the rest.

Yeah, seriously, the Conan episode is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The last hostful had a pretty funny bit when they were talking about and listening to the isolated vocal tracks.

I was jogging on the track at the gym when they played the Daves Like These clip and had to cut off the side so I wouldn't bust a gut in the middle of a lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMfX9fu2030

Also another plug for the Conan episode. Probably one of the best ones they've done to date.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

I'm pretty psyched to see Phil Plait is on the Nerdist. His blog is one of my favorites. It's an excellent vehicle for people like myself who do not have much of a science background to experience the excitement of a field that seems to be discovering amazing new things about our universe almost daily:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/

I hope Chris doesn't embarrass himself by fawning too much.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 16:56

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Fun Shoe

The Willem Dafoe episode was pretty cool, partly because nobody interviews the guy and it was fascinating hearing him talk about his career. Chris is getting better at letting the guests just talk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

ああ!かれからのメールだ!

College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ya know, the Willem Dafoe episode was pretty cool, ya know, partly because nobody interviews the guy and it was fascinating hearing him talk about his career. Chris is getting better at letting the guests just talk, ya know.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nerdist Channel Press Conference :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwSBxMmetXU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

I hope that two-headed calf can be successfully turned into one of NPH's puppets.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

That NPH interview was great. I liked how Chris kept trying to wrap up at different points thinking he was taking up too much time and Neil kept it rolling.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

So this just popped up on twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOir4aMu0vY

I...feel bad. This is the first time I'm excited for a youtube channel. I don't know most of those guys but Weird Al/Neil deGrasse Tyson/Indoor Kids alone is reason alone to get me interested.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Popelmon posted:

So this just popped up on twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOir4aMu0vY

I...feel bad. This is the first time I'm excited for a youtube channel. I don't know most of those guys but Weird Al/Neil deGrasse Tyson/Indoor Kids alone is reason alone to get me interested.

Heh, the girl from Indoor Kids looks exactly how I imagined she'd look.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

For those who prefer RSS, you can get the youtube channel feed with this url:

http://www.youtube.com/rss/user/nerdist/videos.rss

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Heh, the girl from Indoor Kids looks exactly how I imagined she'd look.

I believe her name is pronounced "Emilyyyyyy~~~ "

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

I feel like the podcast has really fallen off lately, and with how infrequently they do hostful episodes (often the only ones worth listening to) I might have to unsubscribe. The NPH interview was so slow and meandering

e: oh poo poo, Alison Haislip is gonna have a show on the Youtube channel? They call that no-pants appointment internet.

indigi fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2012 around 02:32

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

I still like most of the episodes I listen to but there are just SO MANY. I'm just skipping all the bands now because I don't know them and I really don't have the time to listen to the three + podcasts they put out each week.

And I liked the NPH interview. I really liked all that magic talk.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

indigi posted:

I feel like the podcast has really fallen off lately, and with how infrequently they do hostful episodes (often the only ones worth listening to) I might have to unsubscribe. The NPH interview was so slow and meandering

I prefer slow and meandering, personally - that way it feels less like an interview and more like a conversation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Fun Shoe

The Rob Paulsen/Maurice LaMarche episode is fantastic.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Oh yes it is. Very funny AND interesting!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

I found the beginning of the Maron episode to be annoying and I turned it off. Yes, I understand that "podcast pioneers" talking about wire thingies like someone's grandmother trying to program a VCR in 1988 is supposed to be funny in a self-deprecating way. But "nerd culture arbiter" Hardwick's (and his buddies) grasp of technology rarely surpasses the level of Apple fan boy and the fact that Maron's talk radio interview show is delivered over the internet just means he ran out of options sooner than a lot of other comics.

Any reason to listen to the rest of the episode or is it just 90 minutes of fawning?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pillbug

I mean the episode's not that great but it's nice to see you being myopic and reductionist on new and exciting topics.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Jesus Christ they release like 16 episodes a day and I only listen to 1 in 4 .

But the latest one is a host full and I really liked it!

Edit: Oh gently caress me they released another episode while I was listening to this one.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2012 around 20:58

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Has everyone given up on this?

I really loved the Bobcat episode. So many good/interesting stories. Can't wait for him to come back.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobcat is great, his comments on Kinnison's paranoia were the best part.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

ああ!かれからのメールだ!

College Slice

Popelmon posted:

Matt is a dumb piece of poo poo, but the guests are still awesome.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Phone posted:

Matt is a dumb piece of poo poo, but the guests are still awesome.

I wouldn't say he's dumb- it takes brains to rationalize all the crazy decisions about his personal health he's made. That doesn't mean that he isn't doing dumb things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

ああ!かれからのメールだ!

College Slice

Jonah was upfront with himself being a moron by trying to piece together a diet by reading amazon.com reviews. Matt is going to burn out so drat fast because all he's giving his body is sugar in liquid form with some fiber thrown in for good effort.

jdsalmon
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.

Intelligence is no block against doing stupid things or believing weird things. I think the juice diet thing is an artifact of them all being surrounded by loving Hollywood. Andy Wood mentioned doing a cleanse on his podcast last week.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

I don't think there are 2nd and 3rd wheel that add less to any podcast. I can't really tell the difference between them. Now that Hardwick is experiencing some popularity maybe he can ditch the d-listers.

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think there are 2nd and 3rd wheel that add less to any podcast. I can't really tell the difference between them. Now that Hardwick is experiencing some popularity maybe he can ditch the d-listers.
You really think so? Without them it would just be an hour of Chris fawning over the guests and raving about how everything is amazing and everyone is super nice. Matt can be annoyingly petulant, but Jonah has had a lot of great one-liners.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Popelmon posted:

It's such a conversational podcast as opposed to a comedic one that I just can't get into it unless they have on someone I really like. And there hasn't been anyone on that I really like since NPH.

I don't hate Matt or Jonah but I will say that I always enjoy them much more when they're on other podcasts. I could say the same about Hardwick too though.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2012 around 07:28

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I can agree with that sentiment, when Chris was on Aisha Tyler's podcast, he was a really good guest, and bounced off Aisha really well.

Talking of which, does anyone else listen to Girl on Guy? I cherry pick them, to be honest, because I don't care about a lot of her guests, but I'm prepared to be informed about great ones I'm missing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

The_Doctor posted:

I can agree with that sentiment, when Chris was on Aisha Tyler's podcast, he was a really good guest, and bounced off Aisha really well.

Talking of which, does anyone else listen to Girl on Guy? I cherry pick them, to be honest, because I don't care about a lot of her guests, but I'm prepared to be informed about great ones I'm missing.
I listen to the occasional episode. Like the Nerdist one it can be a bit conversational sometimes and I need to be interested in the person or topic to download.
That said, Jon Benjamins hour-long story of when he poo poo his pants was comedy loving gold.
Unfortunately the first episode with him seems to no longer be on iTunes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I listen to the occasional episode. Like the Nerdist one it can be a bit conversational sometimes and I need to be interested in the person or topic to download.
That said, Jon Benjamins hour-long story of when he poo poo his pants was comedy loving gold.
Unfortunately the first episode with him seems to no longer be on iTunes.

Huh, how weird. On itunes I wish she'd just label her episodes the ep number and then the name of the guest. Looking on the iPhone where it cuts off the name if it's too long, it's all 'girl on guy 40: evan...' Evan who?!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Aisha has made episode 1 only available for paying subscribers as of a week or two ago.

Tenacious D awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paying for podcasts irks me, to be honest.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The pants making GBS threads story is on youtube, still hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHiZWO3kHk

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I like Jackie Kashian so I enjoyed #8. Nothing totally hilarious, just two very funny ladies talking about a bunch of stuff including being comics in a very male-saturated profession. Both of them are really almost guys themselves, but I totally mean that in a good way.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...

Am I the only one annoyed by the growing number of ads on podcasts? I understand they are for a reason I just fear shows like the nerdist would end up having to be careful of their content so as not offend their ad revenue.

Am I over-reacting?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Well it's either that or you have to pay for the podcast. I prefer them not bashing audible.com personally .

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, that's why I just instinctively skip the first two minutes of the podcast now. I wish iTunes/iPods had a feature that lets users skip to a specific timecode. It would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I don't begrudge them their ads. They're recording the things in an actual studio and paying someone to produce them.

It's either that or have them beg for donations. And the personalized thank-yous on PopMyCulture are far more disturbing.

• Locked thread
«23 »