Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The_Doctor posted:

Paying for podcasts irks me, to be honest.
Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I've just gotten bored of the podcast. There are way too many interview style podcasts going on right now and they all just basically interview each other, the only ones I listen to are informational or news related or consistently funny. WAY too many comedians see what Marc Maron did and think they can't have a good podcast if they are funny.

Not a specific gripe about Nerdist, just these interview style podcasts in general. My specific gripe about Nerdist is in the episodes where they DON'T have guests I find them annoying

indigi posted:

Why

If the best podcasts are free and you charge for yours it better be loving amazing. I'm ok with occasional pay episodes in a free show but paying for something that might be bad is a quick way to have me lose any interest!

Podcasts are more like radio than any other media and radio is something people usually won't pay for.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If the best podcasts are free and you charge for yours it better be loving amazing. I'm ok with occasional pay episodes in a free show but paying for something that might be bad is a quick way to have me lose any interest!

Podcasts are more like radio than any other media and radio is something people usually won't pay for.
So it "irks" you that some podcasters charge for producing a thing that people think is worth paying for? Does it irk you that 30 Rock is on a network but you need a cable package to see poo poo like Mad Men? Or Satellite to get Howard Stern? Why the gently caress would it bother you that someone DARES to charge for something they create when, like you said, there are many free options with comparable quality? Do you take it as a personal insult, or do you think you're just entitled to get everything for free?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

So it "irks" you that some podcasters charge for producing a thing that people think is worth paying for? Does it irk you that 30 Rock is on a network but you need a cable package to see poo poo like Mad Men? Or Satellite to get Howard Stern? Why the gently caress would it bother you that someone DARES to charge for something they create when, like you said, there are many free options with comparable quality? Do you take it as a personal insult, or do you think you're just entitled to get everything for free?
Do you take it as a personal insult that people don't like paying for podcasts? (Apparently.)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I've just gotten bored of the podcast. There are way too many interview style podcasts going on right now and they all just basically interview each other

Chris Hardwick has this way of asking questions that really irks me. Instead of just asking the drat question, he makes it a long rambling affair where he relates it to his own life and struggles to find the words he's looking for as if there's some deep substance behind his query that doesn't really exist.

But I think that what many of us are experiencing with Nerdist and others is that podcasts aren't immune to the same problems of other media: They get stale after a while. Podcasts that seem absolutely hilarious or extremely interesting at first just tend to lose their appeal once their particular format is no longer new.

I think Comedy Bang Bang suffers less because it is so off the wall and the characters portrayed by the guests ensure that each episode is often very different than the previous ones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NotWearingPants posted:

Chris Hardwick has this way of asking questions that really irks me. Instead of just asking the drat question, he makes it a long rambling affair where he relates it to his own life and struggles to find the words he's looking for as if there's some deep substance behind his query that doesn't really exist.

But I think that what many of us are experiencing with Nerdist and others is that podcasts aren't immune to the same problems of other media: They get stale after a while. Podcasts that seem absolutely hilarious or extremely interesting at first just tend to lose their appeal once their particular format is no longer new.

I think Comedy Bang Bang suffers less because it is so off the wall and the characters portrayed by the guests ensure that each episode is often very different than the previous ones.

The Bugle is immune to that staleness effect.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bobcat episode is god drat awesome.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Phone posted:

Bobcat episode is god drat awesome.

He has such great stories, I do hope he makes another appearance.

The Tenacious D episode is fantastic as well.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Geekslinger posted:

He has such great stories, I do hope he makes another appearance.

The Tenacious D episode is fantastic as well.

Toad the Wet Sprocket do a pretty good Trek Theme, but Jack wailing away on some generic chords was right up there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bango skank posted:

Do you take it as a personal insult that people don't like paying for podcasts? (Apparently.)
Nah, people saying OD retarded poo poo irks me though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah that's the thing that initially started to turn me off on the show. I think he goes lighter on it now but I think I know more about him than some of the guests by the end.

You're right though it probably is just stuff that seems exciting and new at first eventually wears off. I went from listening to 2 podcasts weekly, to about 12, and now I'm back to 2, with occasional cherrypicking of others. A lot of podcasts also seem to release episodes way faster than they used to and I only really listen to podcasts when I'm driving to work and back.

indigi posted:

Well you're responding to two different people first of all :v: I never said it irked me, just responding to his comment.

I personally don't care if people charge for podcasts but I probably won't buy them. I don't think I'm entitled to get everything for free - I think I'm entitled to get Nerdist for free because I don't think it's worth paying for, but I'm sure he has a fanbase big enough at this point to get some money out of it.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

For me personally, the glut of podcasts has made the Nerdist lose its luster. I've become a lot more busy lately so I don't have as much time. After listening to it so much I also feel like I need a break.. like other people have commented on Chris is great but he has this weird social and conversational tics that are really grating.

I'll probably only keep up with hostfuls now.Hopefully I build up a backlog and get into it, but as of now 3 podcasts a week is too much to keep up with.

Also, I'm a much bigger fan of the hostfuls because the guests can have a huge effect on the way the conversation goes whereas I know all the guys on the hostful are awesome and I like keeping up with them. I hope Jonah gets his podcasts up and going because I would definitely give it a try.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
The new Penn Jillette episode is great, Penn owns and has the best stories.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So who's watching Hardwicks' bowling show?
I'm really surprised that I like it. I expected Hardwick to crush everyone...which he does. But it is still really entertaining.
All the heckling (start with the Jon Hamm episode!) really makes it worth it. I'm pretty sure they are showing us the best stuff...but I REALLY want to see the whole game. Especially the one against the Mad Men guys and the new one with Garfunkle vs Oates.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I also watched it this past weekend, and it's surprisingly good!

Pete Holmes is loving nuts, though. And Jon Hamm makes me want to grow a beard.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Popelmon posted:

So who's watching Hardwicks' bowling show?
I'm really surprised that I like it. I expected Hardwick to crush everyone...which he does. But it is still really entertaining.
All the heckling (start with the Jon Hamm episode!) really makes it worth it. I'm pretty sure they are showing us the best stuff...but I REALLY want to see the whole game. Especially the one against the Mad Men guys and the new one with Garfunkle vs Oates.

That and Face to Face with Weird Al Yankovic are my two favorite shows on the Nerdist Channel, though I'm already really happy with the first Hero Complex episode. I like Ain't It Cool News from time to time, though it still needs a bit of work.

The channel in and of itself has been fun so far, but I'd actually love to see a possible Nerdist interview or panel show something like the podcast, even if it's only released every once in a while.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I was surprised at how chubby Jonah was in the Mad Men bowling episode. Maybe it wasn't the weight, so much as his body language that seemed off, but it seemed a bit weird considering how aggressive he is towards Matt on the podcast.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The Dark One posted:

I was surprised at how chubby Jonah was in the Mad Men bowling episode. Maybe it wasn't the weight, so much as his body language that seemed off, but it seemed a bit weird considering how aggressive he is towards Matt on the podcast.

Well in one episode, Jonah said something about "the doughy white guy, and the other, doughier white guy," (or something like that) which is really about right. Neither of 'em are in great shape or have great body language.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Matt's looking much better than he used to though. He used to be huge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEja1zCsbQ

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Matt's looking much better than he used to though. He used to be huge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEja1zCsbQ

I heard about this video. I had never seen it.

Ow.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Honestly, the thing that strikes me most about that video is that it's just a loving golf cart, those two dudes should be able to lift it off him easily.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The thing that strikes me is how winded Matt gets from talking while riding a golf cart.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really liked the Seth Green episode. They talked about a lot of interesting stuff and for some reason I laughed really hard at Jonah watching Mad Men on his dashboard.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Holy poo poo Tina Fey, and it is good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I said "Holy poo poo gently caress yeah" out loud when I saw that. It was really interesting too.

Now get Amy Poehler!

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Anyone else listen to the John Lithgow episode? I found it utterly fascinating, but I'm already a huge Lithgow fan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So was anybody able to glean which Vegas entertainer Penn was referring to when they were talking about him and Teller's "Worst Vegas Entertainer" Discussion? Penn alluded that it was pretty obvious, but I couldn't figure it out.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 20, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So was anybody able to glean which Vegas entertainer Penn was referring to when they were talking about him and Teller's "Worst Vegas Entertainer" Discussion? Penn alluded that it was pretty obvious, but I couldn't figure it out.
Some people online seem convinced that he's talking about Criss Angel, but I have doubts about it. Supposedly his current Vegas show is terrible, but I can both think of worse acts and recall Penn having at least faintly positive things to say about him in the past.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus he talked about having no passion being part of his criteria, and Angel seems REALLY into his own hype and bullshit.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I kinda feel bad because I skipped the last 10-15 episodes or so :(. I just don't know the guests!

On the bright side: Team Breaking Bad will be on Hardwick's bowling thingie next week!

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The current Bret Spiner episode is golden if not for Bret's spot on impression of Patrick Stewart.

I had a pretty good laugh at the thought of Stewart's knighting taking place at Medieval Times with a chicken tender.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
The Brent Spiner episode was hilarious. I really enjoyed the Michael Emerson one too, his description of how to act creepily was fantastic.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I guess I should listen to at least those episodes :v:.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Popelmon posted:

I guess I should listen to at least those episodes :v:.

http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist/

Use that to at least see who the guest is and read a brief synopsis.

Most of the last 15 episodes have been pretty good (a lot of Chris solo). The only ones I didn't really care for was Romany Malco for his sudden Roganesque food conspiracy near the end and Cara Santa Maria was pretty religion talk heavy.

The Scott Aukerman was pretty good to. They riff really well and it was nice to hear him talk outside of the character stuff on Comedy Bang Bang.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh hey I actually listened to the Aukerman one. That was indeed a very interesting episode. I listened to a few more but all of those were Chris+Guest episodes...guess the lack of Jonah mocking Matt made me thing I missed way more than I actually did.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Oh hey I actually listened to the Aukerman one. That was indeed a very interesting episode. I listened to a few more but all of those were Chris+Guest episodes...guess the lack of Jonah mocking Matt made me thing I missed way more than I actually did.

I would listen regularly to a Jonah and Matt spin-off podcast... then again that's basically what the hostfuls are just with Chris added.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Cara Episode was like listening to people read out /r/atheism posts not worth it at all. Why do people think "I wanna hear about science" means "I wanna hear you say things about your religious beliefs"

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Woohoo, got a ticket to the upcoming NYC live podcast! Anyone else going?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nerdist is a good cast they have the odd really dull episode like the epic meal guys but on the whole it generally interests me.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Is the West/Dimaggio episode worth listening to? I haven't listened in a couple months now but I love Futurama so much I am tempted to dip back in

• Locked thread