Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I love Jonah Ray and think the podcast is very good for the most part, but lately they've had on a ton of guests that I just do not give a gently caress about at all, and the show is almost impossible to listen to when they're excited for/nerding out about stuff I'm not a fan of. I tried listening to the Jeri Ryan one, and that was kind of a waste of time, then swore off episodes with people I don't like after the Zooey Deschanel one. What a zero. If I can't look at her, I don't give a gently caress. The hostful episodes are the best imo.

I was gonna skip the Penn & Teller one, but I'll probably give it a shot after reading this thread. I always liked their magic act and thought they were very entertaining outside their duckshit retarded politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Walrus Truck posted:

Chris is constantly talking over/interrupting people

I love Chris Hardwick, but have to agree that he talks over and interrupts people. It's is odd because he's been professionally hosting things for, what, 15 years now?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The bit about how poor people live like royalty from 300 years ago was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard put into words but other than that it was great

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Whenever anyone on the Nerdist talks about a social group (poor people, college kids, etc.) poo poo gets seriously retarded. None of them seem to have any idea what real life is like and that you don't make ridiculously broad and reductionist generalizations about a a huge group of people you know almost nothing about. Your experiences are not universal. That said the TJ Miller episode was pretty good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you turn up to a show on your college campus and hear a comedian you don't know tell a joke that contains "so this Mexican guy..." it's not TOTALLY UNREASONABLE to think that something racist might be soon to follow!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

How's the Neil DeGrasse Tyson one that's gone up?

It's good and worth a listen if you like Neil or think you'd be interested in astrophysics but have only the most passing knowledge of it. Neil is great and is pretty loving good at explaining super abstract and theoretical physics concepts to regular people and if you don't know him this is a great introduction to him. I love Tyson and appreciate what he was trying to do here, but he kept attempting to drop "whoa... did I just blow your loving mind?!" bitlets and facts that aren't anything new or special if you know a little bit of pop theoretical physics. Matt kept shoehorning in his superfan poo poo which got tedious but is understandable cause the guy is apparently one of his idols, and Chris kept trying to prove how smart he was, but overall it's pretty entertaining.

indigi fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 10, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah, he seriously needs to quit that poo poo. Also he's not that good of a singer that I ever care to hear him sing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

He always sounds like he's mocking singing, though, doing a stupid voice. If you're gonna do it just sing normally, stop doing an Eddie Vedder impression.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Dark One posted:

He repeated a few times how he didn't get the Twin Paradox, which came off as trying to prove how unsmart he was, if anything.

Yeah I guess if you throw the rest of the episode out and focus on that one bit where he says he didn't understand something then he's trying to prove he's unsmart, you're right.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chris doesn't seem to know much about much of the tech stuff he's into but he's good at faking it if he doesn't have to talk in-depth about something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eduardo Vasquez posted:

The show would be much funnier if it was just Jonah and Matt, instead of Chris not allowing them to ever talk.

That would get super old super fast, their dynamic is already pretty annoying as it is. Basically the show should just be Jonah Ray talking about comedy and telling stories and he has a guest

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

It's super corny but nice, I'd never participate in a million years although I'm sure it'd be a great birthday surprise.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think she's got one of the funniest twitter accounts there is and don't know her from anything else, and her stuffed-nose-sounding voice and even, deliberate tone rubbed me the wrong way for some weird reason. Wasn't what I imagined at all. She came off really passive and even disinterested at times, which I know she wasn't, but the way she interacted with the guys made it seem that way. She's almost annoyingly cute and sweet. Also she's incredibly beautiful. But I didn't get much of the awesomeness she usually communicates in 140 characters :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: Happy Everything episode. WTF? That was god drat awkward to listen to.
I understand it. He's literally terrified that he's dying and said it on the podcast cause subconsciously he knows he needed a push to go see a doctor. It's still incredibly stupid and juvenile and if I were Jonah or Chris I wouldn't sit there on the podcast loving around about it, I'd turn the mics off for that discussion, then as long as I didn't have to work or give birth I'd go with him to an urgent care clinic after he was done with B-roll to make sure he did it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Listening to the new standup special, this has really fallen off a cliff since last year. I'm about halfway in and had to put the Diani and Devine part on 2x, it is not funny in the slightest. I mean, maybe if I were drunk and one of my 12 year old cousins were pitching me this sketch after Christmas dinner I'd feel more charitable, but I'd still encourage them to take another few cracks at the script.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

That said I enjoyed the last Jonah and Chris podcast before New Year's and was sad to hear Chris allude to his break up with Janet Varney. I am looking forward to the next Nerdist special this Saturday.
I didn't even notice this bit. I'm elated because my chances with her have increased from .00000001% to .000000015%

I felt the same way about the stand-up cluster, but was extremely surprised because last year's was so good. Kumail, Braunger, Chris Fairbanks, Jackie Kaishan, and Kyle Kinane are all brilliantly funny and Jonah and Chris had good spots as well. The only guys I liked this year were Pete Holmes and Rory Scovel. I hardly cracked a smile otherwise.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If you paid a penny we're forced to track you down and beat you up.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I feel like the podcast has really fallen off lately, and with how infrequently they do hostful episodes (often the only ones worth listening to) I might have to unsubscribe. The NPH interview was so slow and meandering :(

e: oh poo poo, Alison Haislip is gonna have a show on the Youtube channel? They call that no-pants appointment internet.

indigi fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 30, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I mean the episode's not that great but it's nice to see you being myopic and reductionist on new and exciting topics.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Paying for podcasts irks me, to be honest.
Why

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If the best podcasts are free and you charge for yours it better be loving amazing. I'm ok with occasional pay episodes in a free show but paying for something that might be bad is a quick way to have me lose any interest!

Podcasts are more like radio than any other media and radio is something people usually won't pay for.
So it "irks" you that some podcasters charge for producing a thing that people think is worth paying for? Does it irk you that 30 Rock is on a network but you need a cable package to see poo poo like Mad Men? Or Satellite to get Howard Stern? Why the gently caress would it bother you that someone DARES to charge for something they create when, like you said, there are many free options with comparable quality? Do you take it as a personal insult, or do you think you're just entitled to get everything for free?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bango skank posted:

Do you take it as a personal insult that people don't like paying for podcasts? (Apparently.)
Nah, people saying OD retarded poo poo irks me though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Honestly, the thing that strikes me most about that video is that it's just a loving golf cart, those two dudes should be able to lift it off him easily.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Is the West/Dimaggio episode worth listening to? I haven't listened in a couple months now but I love Futurama so much I am tempted to dip back in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Paulsen/LaMarche one is the one that made me quit listening to every episode, actually :/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What's weird about that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

http://splitsider.com/2012/07/chris-hardwicks-nerdist-industries-bought-by-major-production-company/

quote:

Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Industries Bought by Major Production Company

Legendary Pictures, the production company behind this current Batman trilogy, The Hangover movies, Inception, and like a zillion other films has purchased Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Industries. Nerdist, over the last few years, has grown into a multi-faceted, multi-media nerd empire, including a podcast network, a website, a YouTube channel, an e-newsletter, and a live venue. The goal of the acquisition is to help Nerdist further broaden its brand, especially into TV and movies. Hardwick will maintain his position inside Nerdist, as well assume the position of co-president of Legendry's digital business, which seems like a really fancy job. All in all, it's a good day for Mr. Hardwick. He must be really enjoying his burrito, right now.
Don't know how I feel about this. I'm worried Nerdist will turn into Earwolf II and my favorite shows will lose their charm and autonomy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

So the most by-the-numbers press release of all time, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Popelmon posted:

The JV Club is really good

Yeah.

• Locked thread