Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

indigi posted:

and Chris kept trying to prove how smart he was, but overall it's pretty entertaining.

He repeated a few times how he didn't get the Twin Paradox, which came off as trying to prove how unsmart he was, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

indigi posted:

Yeah I guess if you throw the rest of the episode out and focus on that one bit where he says he didn't understand something then he's trying to prove he's unsmart, you're right.

I'm sorry if you took a counter example as a personal attack.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Every once in a while, he'd briefly touch on something that could be used as a valid criticism of Wikipedia, but then he'd go back to his earlier ramblings.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Geekslinger posted:

The Wikipedia thing was funny back when he mentioned about them listing him as having a half brother Peter that didn't really exist.

Like what was mentioned in the conversation, he just needs to have a episode list on the Nerdist website and not relying on Wikipedia users to keep one for him.

The problem, of course, is that people rely on Wikipedia so much just because it's at the top of the list for almost any google search. People who are super familiar might know where to find the rss feed that list all the nerdist podcasts, but a lot of people will hit up wikipedia, and if the episode list isn't there, it won't help them. Chris' problem is that he couldn't just add the information to wikipedia, he'd have to create a reputable source that could then be used as a basis for a similar list on wikipeida (assuming some self-appointed wiki bureaucrat doesn't delete it over notability issues).

He was having legit issues with wikipedia, he was just incredibly ignorant about why he was having them.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 22, 2011

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Why did The Good Guys have to get cancelled? :cry:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I think Chris is fine until he starts doing that olde-tyme radio voice thing. Those bits are never worth it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

These extra episodes are just a way to distract himself from the pain of not owning a bookshelf.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I hope that two-headed calf can be successfully turned into one of NPH's puppets.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Heh, the girl from Indoor Kids looks exactly how I imagined she'd look.

I believe her name is pronounced "Emilyyyyyy~~~ :ohdear:"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Phone posted:

Matt is a dumb piece of poo poo, but the guests are still awesome.

I wouldn't say he's dumb- it takes brains to rationalize all the crazy decisions about his personal health he's made. That doesn't mean that he isn't doing dumb things.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I don't begrudge them their ads. They're recording the things in an actual studio and paying someone to produce them.

It's either that or have them beg for donations. And the personalized thank-yous on PopMyCulture are far more disturbing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Geekslinger posted:

He has such great stories, I do hope he makes another appearance.

The Tenacious D episode is fantastic as well.

Toad the Wet Sprocket do a pretty good Trek Theme, but Jack wailing away on some generic chords was right up there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I was surprised at how chubby Jonah was in the Mad Men bowling episode. Maybe it wasn't the weight, so much as his body language that seemed off, but it seemed a bit weird considering how aggressive he is towards Matt on the podcast.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

If DiMaggio does any beatboxing it'll automatically be amazing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I really enjoy the Thrilling Adventure Hour. And while he records more episodes than I can sometimes get around to listening to, Pete Holmes' podcast can be pretty interesting.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I wouldn't be opposed. Some shows might not need a whole thread but still deserve mention. I didn't even know that the Watkins Family Hour existed until people got excited about Sara's appearance on the main Nerdist podcast.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

He talked about how some brain thing made him explosively over-emotional, and that he had to be medicated to not take every single event in his life as the most important thing ever. But then he stopped taking the medication as an adult and he's totally fine and here's this diatribe about why he has all these awesome movie ideas that he just can't get around to touching and and and

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The full-length holiday Thrilling Adventure Hour was delightful.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Disco Godfather posted:

Gabe Newell is so fat you can hear it.

In the second one, it takes a distressingly long amount of time for him to catch his breath at the start.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

There was one when Matt was just starting his terrible juice cleanse diet. He had to leave partway through and Chris and Jonah had a serious and (touching moment) where they talked about his cavalier attitude towards his own health.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Some/all of them worked in the E! building, so it was a lot easier to record the podcast there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Dear god, the Matt Mira episode of You Made it Weird. :shepicide:

I kept thinking he was exaggerating and being kind of paternalistic about needing to take care of his girlfriend even though he couldn't stand her, but then his inability to actually dump her made all of his worst fears come true.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

So I'm pretty sure Nick Offerman is a god. I want to live in his and Chris Pratt's post-apocalyptic town.

I didn't know much about him and was delighted to by the conversation.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Dominic Monaghan would have been more interesting without the twenty minutes of Twitter tips.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

They mentioned that the BBC show improved once Matt joined the writing staff and was able to show them how to 'do' Chris' kind of humour. I wonder how involved they'll be with this thing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy needs a talk show. PFT needs a full on variety show.

He already does, it just happens to not be on TV. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Josh Groban... owns?

And Chris' mom is adorable.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I find all three entertaining on the main podcast. Jonah Radio feels both too pre-written and too loose, but I do enjoy FEaB.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Matt seems like both the smartest guy in the room and the one with the most self-loathing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I mean, how could you not?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Tenacious D episode made up for all the times Chris has gone into 80s-power-ballad mode in the middle of an unrelated podcast.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

If you've been waiting for a guest to unironically say "back and to the left" a bunch of times, it's the episode for you.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Mart sends like a smart guy. The type smart enough to rationalise huge swaths of really dumb behaviour.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

But then what is the Meltdown Show he's doing with Kumail on Comedy Central going to be? :ohdear:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Geekslinger posted:

Lionsgate owns them so they use it as a platform to promote their own stuff.

Legendary Pictures.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They recorded at some pretty much unused radio space in the E! building because if I remember right Chris had a friend or was still working for the parent company so they got the space free.

A bunch of them worked at G4 and Jonnah wrote on The Soup.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Point an aggregator (like feedly) at the RSS feed () and you'll never have to visit nerdist.com again.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 5, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Jippa posted:

Just finished listening to that episode as well, fantastic stuff. They have been on a roll recently.

The Andrea Romano that dropped today was fantastic, too.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I was only aware of Brian Cox because his wife picks fights with trans people on twitter.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I was at the 2013 Montreal JFL episode and Eric Andre was on what seemed like another planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Piquai Souban posted:

YMIW live today at JFL MTL co-hosted by Moshe Kasher, with Jamie Lee, Ian Edwards, Neal Brennan, and Margaret Cho. Pretty great!

Came for Dead-After talk, stayed for the Apple talk.

• Locked thread