Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FitFortDanga posted:

I stopped listening a few months ago when I could no longer stand Matt Mira sucking all the funny out of the room. And it was starting to feel like "The Let's Protect Matt Mira's Fragile Self-Esteem Podcast". Is he still a pain in the rear end? I enjoy Hardwick and Ray, but goddamn Mira is a loving buzzkill.

Mira is much less of a buzz kill now that they can say he used to work at the Apple Store. Him actually having work outside of that place seems to have brightened his mood and recently they've given him a great deal of well deserved poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I've read the OP a few times and I'm a little confused about what this show is about. I really want to give it shot, but I have no clue what I'm getting myself into. What is this show really about?

3 comics bullshitting with a sprinkling of interviews. That said Neil Degrasse Tyson was great on the latest and barley lets Chris get a word in.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

If I know the internet, the next hostful is going to be about all the criticizing emails they got about Wikipedia

Yeah skipping the next hostful sounds like a good idea, because Chris is going to be insufferable.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

"Hey guys I'm making GBS threads clotted blood but I'm not going to the doctor it'll be fine" - Matt Mira

I think if Jonah weren't a giant rear end in a top hat Mira would kill himself out of stupidity.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love Mira's dry, cynical sense of humor but Chris and Jonah can't tell when he's not trying to be funny and it's serious.

"Someone called me fat at a store and I was so ashamed I put my food back"

Cue Jonah and Chris loving losing it.

I'm relatively new to the Nerdist. Is this normal behavior? I felt genuinely bad for him.

Mira is the guy in your group of friends that everyone gives poo poo because he makes it so damned easy. He consistantly does dumb poo poo and admits it. I can't help thinking he would have an actual comedy career if he would get out of his own way. If you listen to the back episodes it starts to make more sense why he gets so much poo poo.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Capt. Supermarket posted:

I thought Hardwick has been doing standup for years after the Singled Out days and put in a significant amount of time and effort in getting to where he's at now. I also went to see him a little over a year ago and thought his set was really strong. Granted, I'm only basing my knowledge of his career off of stuff I've heard Hardwick say himself; is there more to the story that I don't know about?

From his and others talk it sounds like he's been at it since about 2000 or so. Assuming I'm wrong it doesn't sound like he's been at it as long as most comedians we end up heading about. It doesn't seem fair to call him "not a real comic" considering he has done stand up for quite a while just because now he's trying to be a kind of new media mogul. Feels like a case of the no true scotsmans to call him not a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't remember where I read it but someone mentioned Nerdist turning into the E! for trendy nerds and it's really looking that way, it's become another press stop for celebrites like Reddit AMAs have become. They're even recording Nerdist episodes (or used to?) in the E! building

They recorded at some pretty much unused radio space in the E! building because if I remember right Chris had a friend or was still working for the parent company so they got the space free.

• Locked thread