Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Fallin' Thru Plotholes

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Podbean

Genre: Video Games, Media analysis. Kind of comedy?

Duration: 2 hours per episode

Release: Every two weeks unless an episode is multi-part, then every week. Releases typically on a Tuesday.

Join Michael, Alex, Mason and others are they talk about the plotlines of legacy videogame franchises, how they evolved, and how they often go off the rails. They will also talk about how these games were developed, who was involved in writing these storylines, and why some gaming stories end up being completely bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Fallin' Thru Plotholes

What's this about : Fallin' Thru Plotholes is a podcast about video game plotlines, how convoluted they can be and how their development cycles can influence these stories. We'll talk about the people behind these stories, and try to make sense of something that is often very senseless.

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Podbean |Youtube

Duration: 2 hours per episode

Release: Every two weeks unless an episode is multi-part, then every week. Releases typically on a Tuesday.

Latest Episodes

Episode 5-1: Mass Effect is a story of pure potential falling flat on its face.: In Part 1, Alex and Michael jump in the backstory and first game in the Mass Effect trilogy as they discuss exploring new worlds, meeting new alien species, and wonder why no one asked why the big bad guy had glowing face lights.

Episode 4: Mega Man: Duke Nukem Thankfully Won't Be Forever: Alex and Michael discuss Duke Nukem as they dive into the origins of Apogee Software, talk about the plot of the Duke Nukem series, and for some reason have a tangent about Adventure Island.

Episode 3-3: Mega Man: Maybe we're all Mega Man Kings: In this Episode, Alex and Michael wrap up the Mega Man series as they talk about Mega Man ZX, Mega Man Legends and talk about what's next for the series in general.

Episode 3-2: Mega Man: No, we aren't sure how humanity is still alive: Alex and Michael finish the Mega Man X series before immediately diving into Mega Man Zero, where we learn that even 100 years in the future, humanity just can't help but make bad decisions.

Episode 3-1: Mega Man starts with googly-eyed robots and ends in multiple genocides: In part 1, Alex and Michael discuss the Mega Man series, starting with the entire classic series and moving into Mega Man X. It quickly goes from being light-hearted to a surprising amount of murder.

Episode 2: Contra takes B-movie aliens a little too seriously In this episode, Alex and Michael discuss the classic Konami series Contra. A series that starts with the lightest of plots and quickly descends into B-movie style madness.

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 2, 2021

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1561337/

Computer Game Evolution is yet another video game history podcast, and I've got a whole season of it up.

It takes the season ten hours to end on the first commercial video game, though, because before that I have to look at
  • Chess
  • Risk
  • Tour de France
  • Monopoly
  • Hobby empire building
  • Mechanical arcades
  • "Literature"
  • Up Against the Wall, Motherfucker

Ha, funny you say that, I'm working on a videogame history podcast too right at the moment! I'll need to check this out, if nothing else just so I can find out the context behind "Up against the wall, motherfucker."

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh speaking of, my podcast, Fallin' Thru Plotholes! Normally we talk about various videogame plotlines and how they evolved over time and got crazy, but we did something a bit different and had an episode on general video game history. It's part of a bunch of episodes that I'll have on backlog in case something happens, and I would really appreciate getting feedback on what works, what doesn't and the like. I'm pretty proud of it, and it's going to be the latest episode (Universal vs. Nintendo.)

Fallin' Thru Plotholes

What's this about : Fallin' Thru Plotholes is a podcast about video game plotlines, how convoluted they can be and how their development cycles can influence these stories. We'll talk about the people behind these stories, and try to make sense of something that is often very senseless.

RSS | Apple Podcasts | Podbean |Youtube

Duration: 1-2 hours per episode

Latest Episodes

Fallin' Thru Plotholes Extra 1: Universal vs. Nintendo.: In a slight change from the norm, Alex and Michael do an episode about video game history, talking about the lawsuit between Universal and Nintendo. Come learn about a very angry studio head, a Japanese company that flew by the seat of its pants, and more about the 1976 King Kong film than you ever cared to hear.

Episode 10-2: Metroid: Other M is a complete mess: In part 2 of our series on Metroid, Alex and Michael talk Metroid Fusion, a very good game. Oh, and there's the mess known as Metroid: Other M, which deals with A LOT of parental issues.

Episode 10-1: Metroid is a masterclass in environmental storytelling until it isn't: In part 1 of a series about Metroid, Alex and Michael talk about the atmosphere and story of Metroid, Metroid II and Super Metroid, and learn all about scary space jellyfish and dragons.

Episode 9-2: Tekken goes from fighting tournaments to brutal corporate wars: In part 2 of our miniseries about Tekken. We learn how to fake our deaths, get introduced to more wacky members of the Mishima family, and learn why it's a bad idea to kill a demon by starting World War III.

Episode 9-1: Tekken is about family therapy and the Devil: In Part 1, Alex and Michael tackle Tekken, a series about a father who just doesn't understand his son, and their powerful world-dominating company. Also, we learn about a fighting tournament that occasionally involves literal gods.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Alan Smithee posted:

kind of tangential to the topic, how are most people promoting their new podcasts? I had the vague idea of trying one out (as most ideas men go) but no idea the first thing about putting it out there

For myself, it's been a lot of yelling about it on social media, and mentioning it on my (admittedly small) Twitch stream. That being said, my biggest boost was actually paying for advertisements on podcast hosting sites, such as Overcast. I'm not entirely sure it was worth it (it was like, $400 for a month) but it did boost me from 8 listeners to about 25 consistent listeners per episode, so it did work to some extent. Helpful if you feel awkward about consistently promoting your podcast yourself like I was.