Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Anime World Order
iTunes - RSS
Genre: We talk about Japanese cartoons+comics, plus conventions and such. We do some interviews. Occasionally we have guests. That's it. Invite us on your show if you want to hear us talk gaming, movies, wrestling, etc.
Schedule: It's supposed to be weekly. It's never been that. Monthly? Maybe? There is no real release schedule or set show length.

Were it not for the SA forums, AWO wouldn't be where it is today. ADTRW members helped spread the word when we first started in 2005 and provided our hosting gratis even once we ate up way too much bandwidth. We (or people we've conscripted) have written many of the anime reviews for Otaku USA Magazine. And for what it's worth, we won the Parsec Award for Best Anime Podcast before they ditched that category once and for all.

Look. We know. A lot of anime is just goddamned terrible. A lot of people used to watch anime and now don't because finding something enjoyable is too much hassle. Or maybe they still DO watch anime but don't want to publicly admit to genuinely enjoying it. Do you want to hear about cartoons that are good (or entertainingly awful) without hearing so much of that meme-heavy, ADD, creepy sex stuff? Then give us a shot. We've been fans for about 20 years, so our recommendations are a bit different than what you'll find in most non-ADTRW corners of the Internet. ADTRW, by the way, is pretty loving great these days; I don't really post much now since people there know what's what.

EDIT ALMOST TEN YEARS TO THE DAY LATER: we've also started dipping our toes into YouTube, but so far there's not original content produced for the platform. Just some of our more recent reviews with occasional visual accompaniment:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AnimeWorldOrderPodcast

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

DangerDummy! posted:

Can anyone recommend a good mic? Reasonable price (from whatever to about $150 apiece) and decent performance a major plus. I hit Google first and got a few doable options, but I reckoned a forum with a bunch of good DIYers was decent place to check in.

I personally advise against getting USB microphones. Not out of any audio quality concerns so much as they're difficult to make work if you ever find yourself in a multi-microphone setting. You tend to need fancier recording software to permit recording from multiple USB sources, but I still just edit everything in Audacity because it's the only one I can logically comprehend.

The true voice professionals will recommend a dynamic ribbon microphone (voice actors like Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale use these) or possibly a phantom-powered condenser one (what radio guys like Howard Stern use), but as someone whose knowledge of audio engineering is minimal and is too drat lazy to construct a makeshift recording booth environment, those are more hassle than they're worth. They tend to literally pick up the sounds of your AC or refrigerator running, or even fabric on the clothes you're wearing. Still, if you can set up the whole carpet/foam isolated sound booth (or even the small ones that just house the mic) AND have enough voice discipline or editing time to remove all the mouth/lip noises those mics will pick up, those would be the way to go.

No, I'm just going to recommend you get a Shure SM57 (aka "the microphones whoever the President of the United States is uses") or SM58 (generally used by singers). These are dynamic microphones that each seem like they've been price-fixed around $100 forever, and they're unidirectional so they're less liable to pick up ambient sound. They're meant more for live stage use than podcasting, so I imagine most people's response to my recommendation would be "those are okay, I guess." AWO's not exactly the high watermark of audio quality between the low bitrate/sampling and the fact that I tend to just run things through Levelator and call it a day, but I'm currently using an SM58S after having used an SM57 and can't really tell the difference between the two; I only switched to give the 57 to a cohost. A 58S is exactly the same as a 58 only it has an on/off switch, though as I found out the hard way using it during a recording tends to introduce a click that simply clicking Mute would not. You're probably not going to come off as having that rumbling, booming voice of God sound with the SM57 or SM58, but they are mics which are mid-range price-wise that "just work."

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 5, 2011

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

It took us forever, but Episode 101 of the Anime World Order podcast is out! Joining us this time around is Patrick Macias, who in addition to being editor-in-chief of Crunchyroll News and Otaku USA Magazine is also an author, TV/Internet video personality, admirer of bad fashion, and all-around paranoiac who's a menace to our society.

The topic? Harmagedon. In my opinion, one stunning--and stunningly BAD--movie...that happens to also be an all-time favorite of 50% of those appearing on this podcast, Patrick included! Audio quality's a dip from usual due to having a fourth person on, but it should be fine to listen to.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show # 102a – Subatomic Trivia Skirmish 9001

Okay, so we poo poo the bed even more so than usual between not releasing an episode in like two months and then releasing THIS. The audio quality is...sub-optimal because two of us recorded in the same room and two others joined in over Skype. What was originally supposed to be just us answering emails was actually an elaborate surprise anime trivia "contest" in which there could be no winners. In the end, we could only answer some of it, but "some" is probably still an accomplishment with questions like these. This spiraled out of control such that this podcast is just the first half of the incident. Part Two will be released shortly.

Our guest throughout this is Erin Finnegan, a podcaster in her own right whom we conscripted into joining us in writing for Otaku USA. She's probably best known as the author of the Shelf Life column at the Anime News Network.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 5, 2012

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

For those who can't get enough Stallone podcasts in their lives, I'm a guest on this podcast where we talk about Tango & Cash.

Anime World Order Show # 103 – Bandai Died, HELP COMPUTER

We recorded this two weeks ago, with the idea being to get it out fast on account that it was a time-sensitive topic. That obviously did not happen. Here it is regardless: Bandai Entertainment (publishers of titles such as Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Gundam) is ceasing all new releases. We’re joined by professional anime translator Neil Nadelman (who’s done many Bandai translations) and fellow goon/professional Patrick Warburton impersonator (also, Anime News Network columnist) Mike Toole to discuss what led up to this and what lies ahead.

RSS

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show # 104 – The [Sword for] Truth Has Set Us Free

The first half of this episode is largely spent discussing the recently-publicized, formerly secret data regarding just how much companies pay to license these Japanese cartoons for American release. In the second half, we review one of the most notoriously terrible anime that is actually highly entertaining (as part of our ongoing adventures in doing so), Sword for Truth:

If anything, this cartoon taught us all why mixing opium with tribadism is a recipe for death, no matter HOW much you secretly love Jesus.

RSS

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 14, 2012

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show # 105 – Trigun Is Older Than Many Current Anime Fans

We missed a month. Again. Getting time for recording is one thing. But editing? Now that's another story. In this episode we take a look at the feature film Trigun: Badlands Rumble, the long-delayed theatrical follow-up to one of the most popular Japanese animated series from the 1990s. Well...popular in the US and the rest of the world besides Japan, anyway!

iTunes RSS

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I did it again. I didn't post here for like, months. Well, here's Anime World Order Show # 107, in which we report on the events that transpired at Otakon 2012, which we were present as both members of Press as well as Featured Panelists. Roughly 33,000 people were present this year, which introduced some new problems while alleviating some old ones. We're joined by Anime Weekend Atlanta's Director of Video Programming Darius Washington, though between his landline connection and the fact that we opted to use this episode as an experiment of using Google Hangouts instead of Skype, the audio quality is not as good as it usually is. We'll resume normal production next time, when we [finally] review the Sanrio film productions of Osamu Tezuka's Unico, which have been recently re-released on DVD. Full-color hardcover editions of the original comic will be published in the months to come.

If the 90 minutes of that weren't enough, I was on a three-hour edition of the ANNCast with fellow goon Mike Toole to also discuss Otakon for a bit. But most of the discussion is devoted to discussion of Kids on the Slope (the recently concluded series from the director of Cowboy Bebop), Lupin the Third: The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, and two hours of answering Twitter questions that were sent to us about all sorts of random topics pertaining to Japanese animation and the fans of same. The resulting message board flames appears to still be ongoing.

And if you STILL need more, while at Otakon I was a guest for a special live recording of Dave and Joel's Fast Karate for the Gentleman, in which we discussed episode one of Crying Freeman: Portrait of a Killer. They'd never seen it before; I'd reviewed the comic in 2009.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show # 107b – Unico and The Adventures of Catgirl and Count Date Rape

To be fair, that is technically not the actual title of either of the films we're covering this episode. When the creators of Hello Kitty combine forces with the "God of Manga and Anime" Osamu Tezuka, the result is something a little more cultured. The actual film titles are The Fantastic Adventures of Unico as well as Unico in the Island of Magic.

Sanrio plus Tezuka sounds like good clean fun, but when you appoint the future director of Ninja Scroll to come up with the story ideas, the result is nightmare fuel for many a young child who happened to catch this curiosity on the Disney Channel or on video rental store shelves back in the 1980s. Now that they're on DVD it's time for a new generation to be introduced to the idea of turning people into building blocks as a cartoon baby unicorn with the same voice as Rita Repulsa from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers spreads joy and happiness across the land.

That's where this podcast comes in.

RSS
iTunes

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2012

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Bonus Installments

So that our feed wouldn't have weeks of nothing in it brought about by the usual writing deadlines and convention attendance, we've opted to re-cast our contributions to another podcast as bonus installments. SA Mart advertised Bounceweb is completely unable to handle the MASSIVE strain that is "making a new Wordpress post" or "having people view an XML file" since each time we update either it causes all our resource limits to be reached. This absolutely blows and I kind of want to migrate the blog over to a shared hosting that CAN handle a few hundred megs of traffic a day. Ugh.

Anime82 is a podcast run by "Regan Strongblood," who bears slight physical resemblance to Aum Shinrikyo cult founder Shoko Asahara. But instead of carrying out terrorist attacks on subway stations and creating bizarre cult cartoons, he's sent out another round of questions to be answered by other podcasters. He called it "12 Questions, Reverse Edition" which is a Canadian way of saying it's actually 21 questions. Except then he asked 22 questions. Except then several of the questions were multi-part questions and...man, gently caress it:

It took Gerald about 40 minutes to answer everything.

It took me closer to 90.

The questions are primarily about our opinions regarding fan translation and distribution of Japanese animation and comics, as well as our collections of merchandise and memorabilia. To mix things up a bit and in acknowledgment of the fact that fans of Japanese animation are the Internet's biggest pariahs this side of the bronies/furries/Homestuck fans (who also comprise a large portion of anime convention attendees), we're also asked our thoughts on US comics and cartoons. Listen as we admit on record to our callous disregard of intellectual property rights!

RSS
iTunes

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 5, 2012

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Darkwing Duck posted:

Numbers have slowed a bit so I was wondering if anyone had advice on tapping into a new audience? I worry just wearing out people on my facebook feed.

Unless you're someone who became famous or built an audience through a method external to podcasting (you're a celebrity, you have a popular website, online comic, streaming video series, etc) there's a pretty finite ceiling as far as interest goes. Despite my garbage lack of a schedule, the audience for my podcast has been pretty much roughly the same number for years by virtue of the niche subject matter. For instance, I looked at my site stats for how many people were clicking on the links I posted in this thread and it was basically nothing. Makes sense.

A lot of people who listen to podcasts put out by "regular people" are often themselves podcasters. If I had one bit of advice for you, it'd be that you've done about 30 episodes but have no promos. Make something that's like 30-60 seconds long which includes the name of your show, the URL, and something you feel captures the gist of what you're about. Then put the link up on your sidebar, email it to the podcasts you listen to which operate on a similar wavelength, and ask if they'll play it. Offer to play their promo in return if they'd like. Shows that are commercial enterprises trying to monetize themselves probably will ignore you. But if you're not "a famous person," what else can you do without throwing money at the problem?

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show 112 - We Don't Want to Hurt You (But We Will If We Have To)

RSS
iTunes
Our Twitter

We're interviewing veteran voice actors Michael McConnohie and Melodee M. Spevack this time around. If the names aren't familiar, even if you don't watch anime, you've definitely heard both of them due to their work in videogames. For example, Michael is the voice of these guys:

So even if you don't like Fist of the North Star as much as I do, listen and find out about what it's like hanging out with Isaac Asimov and being part of the Universal Studios Conan/Red Sonja stage show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Anime World Order Show # 114 – Demonstrate This Kissing Or I’ll Crush All of You

It took us several years, but we finally managed to secure an interview with veteran voice actor Mike Reynolds. Mike's in his 80s now and has been voicing "old man" characters in cartoons for decades. Best known as being "Dolza," the leader of the Zentraedi aliens on Robotech, Mike was also several of the monsters on Power Rangers / VR Troopers / etc. It gets a little rambly as he talks about how proud he was to murder Ernest Borgnine and (technically) Kevin Costner on camera, but we really just wanted to hear him talk.

RSS
iTunes
Our Twitter