Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

plastered quack posted:

it...doesn't get any better. If I were going to skip an episode, today's would be the one to skip.

Too bad, I thought with the guest line-up this ep was going to be solid :(

This one was definitely a waste of time. Doug was way too trashed to run the show or be quick-witted, and the comedians seemed bored and low energy. They should have been making fun of this trainwreck show and Doug the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm surprised they actually released that episode. Maybe Doug was in the same state of mind when he made the call.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh, Patton Oswalt tweeted that he had to cancel his spot to be on DLM this week.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
A weird show under the influence that just isn't funny, then...

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, Patton Oswalt tweeted that he had to cancel his spot to be on DLM this week.

This is the part of the "Behind the Laughter" documentary right before the narrator says, "Shortly thereafter, Benson had to resort to guests like Pauly Shore and Sinbad that failed to connect with the audiences in person or online. And that's when the show took a dark and bitter turn."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

benito posted:

A weird show under the influence that just isn't funny, then...

This is the part of the "Behind the Laughter" documentary right before the narrator says, "Shortly thereafter, Benson had to resort to guests like Pauly Shore and Sinbad that failed to connect with the audiences in person or online. And that's when the show took a dark and bitter turn."

Gonna have Gallagher who's gonna respond to every Lenard Maltin Game question 'Fuckin queers run Hollywood, don't give a poo poo'.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

He addresses the "How High is Too High?" episode in Today's podcast. I think he realizes how lovely it was.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Bunk Rogers posted:

He addresses the "How High is Too High?" episode in Today's podcast. I think he realizes how lovely it was.

He mentions that someone on Twitter compared it to Michael Jackson asking his doctor for painkillers. Very apt metaphor.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.
New episode is up with Sarah Silverman, Nick Kroll and Kumail Nanjiani

I just started listening but about three minutes in he apologizes for the Portland episode.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

mid posted:

New episode is up with Sarah Silverman, Nick Kroll and Kumail Nanjiani

I just started listening but about three minutes in he apologizes for the Portland episode.

Yeah, it's a good one. Great ending.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
He also mentions he might pull the episode completely, so those of you who liked the episode might want to download it.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Looks like it is already gone.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
It's for the best.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it definitely wasn't worth listening to again so I guess it's the right move.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
I think he took it down because it made him look horrible. Why would anyone want to go to his show or book him when he is like that.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
Kumail is hilarious

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

OldHansMoleman posted:

I think he took it down because it made him look horrible. Why would anyone want to go to his show or book him when he is like that.

I think this is the case. The podcast is excellent free advertising for his standup, and that episode was poo poo. (though, kudos to the guests for doing what they could to salvage it) Though, I am surprised - apart from rare (and always explained after the fact) bleeping, he always plays it where it lies. No editing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

icicle bob posted:

Kumail is hilarious

I find him quite funny, actually this week had some of my favorite comedians on it :)

Kumail has his own podcast called "The Indoor Kids", it's not always funny though.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

ElCondemn posted:

I find him quite funny, actually this week had some of my favorite comedians on it :)

Kumail has his own podcast called "The Indoor Kids", it's not always funny though.

Well drat, now I have to start listening to another podcast.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Matt popping up repeatedly in the Airport episode is hilarious. Whooop me again nope it's Rum Diary

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I realise that, being the thread creator and all I should know the answer, but does anyone know the definitive criteria for being in the Tournament of Champions?
By my recollection:

First, it was zero name wins.

Then, after Maron won, it HAD to be negative names.

Today, Doug said you had to name a movie with negative names AND win the overall game that day.

Am I right thinking the rules have changed a little? Does anyone have a concrete answer for what it takes to be in the Tourney?

Edit: VV thanks :) VV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 28, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Slots in the Tournament of Championships fill up fast. The next one is already full, plus there's a bunch of alternates. Doug keeps making it tougher so that it'll fill up slower and only the really good players will get in.

I think I've heard him say twice now that to get in you have to do negative names and go on to win the whole game.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Another in-studio episode with the couple from Totally Laime podcast today. Wasn't too bad, also Doug announced a new paid DLM up soon. I'll probably grab it and post back if it's good/everyone's tanked again/ect.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Saw Doug and Graham Elwood perform last night, some dude with a plastic samurai sword nametag got Paranormal Activity in zero names :stare:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I miss Pang and baseball Jordan :<

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
It's frustrating when Doug says he understands how the order goes and rotates after each round but proceeds to gently caress it up five minutes later.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
The NYC III ep is out now. If you haven't bought a paid DLM before, it's basically an hour and a half or so episode, with the first half of the show riffing and the second half mostly a longer (i.e., not-rushed) Len Maltin game.

Generally these episodes are a typical, maybe slightly-better-than-normal episode. I say that because you can run the risk of Doug being drunk/high on these just as much as a Friday ep, which sucks. You're basically paying because it's longer, and generally the paid show guests are more recognizable.

The NYC III episode is O.K., really. No one is insanely drunk/high this time. Doug even apologizes again for the drunk Portland episode, so I don't think we're going to see him that hosed up again for a long time. But the first half kind of drags a little.

Overall, not the greatest one but worth buying, in my opinion. :)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
PS the guests, which are 95% or so of the standard by which all DLMs are judged, are Jim Gaffigan, Michael Ian Black, Pat Kiernan and Keith Powell. Not really into any of those guys, personally, so I'll skip this one. Dunno why you'd write up three paragraphs and not include the guests, I had to open iTunes (ugh) to find out I wasn't going to be buying it.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Can anyone tell me why he has the paid episodes. I once heard him say it is because of their length but there are many podcasts out there that go way past an hour and stay free. Not complaining just curious.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Can anyone tell me why he has the paid episodes. I once heard him say it is because of their length but there are many podcasts out there that go way past an hour and stay free. Not complaining just curious.

Make some extra scratch?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

What he has said is that the length is the reason they can't be 99 cents.
After an hour or so, iTunes considers it an album and will not sell it at the song price.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
That makes no sense to me since most of the shows on the SmodCo network are over two hours, and The Best Show is also two plus. Ehh I don't know. The last few episodes haven't been that good, but he's always been kind of up and down anyways. Are any of the paid eps really worth picking up I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my wallet that my kid is threatening to steal for more Blur songs. It's either that or WTF.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

That makes no sense to me since most of the shows on the SmodCo network are over two hours, and The Best Show is also two plus. Ehh I don't know. The last few episodes haven't been that good, but he's always been kind of up and down anyways. Are any of the paid eps really worth picking up I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my wallet that my kid is threatening to steal for more Blur songs. It's either that or WTF.
They are paid episodes because Doug wants money.
They are overpriced because iTunes is weird and that's what Doug was on about when he mentioned how long they were.

I only bought the Tournament of Championships shows.
There are way too many free podcasts with the UCB/AST/Earwolf people (ie 80% of guests) to pay for a normal episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea basically the flow was:

Doug wants to make a little profit off his casts by charging for 'special' episodes.

iTunes tells him past x time it enters y category meaning it must be 99 cents.

Don't think he's ever said the time was why he had to make them pay, he said the time was why their 99 cents as opposed to...what's the smaller usual iTunes price? 40 cents or something? For a company all up its rear end about being future tech it has a lot of stupid arcane rules for categories and sorting, which creates things like this where they tell the artist 'no you have to charge more for this'.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

For everyone that doesn't know Doug's age, look it up.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

glassy-eyed bambi posted:

There's a portrait of him somewhere slowly getting more stoned.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

glassy-eyed bambi posted:

He looks great for someone 2 years younger than my father.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

He looks, sounds, and acts so much younger than 47. I thought wikipedia was wrong when I looked him up after catching the first DLM.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay, which one of you handed Doug a double-sided sheet of instructions for the Maltin game? That's so spergy it's gotta be a goon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Golbez posted:

There's a portrait of him somewhere slowly getting more stoned.

That or in 3 years a DLM live show will be interrupted with Satan bursting in going "YOU'RE TIME'S UP, BENSON" and the sound of a man becoming a weed-skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, which one of you handed Doug a double-sided sheet of instructions for the Maltin game? That's so spergy it's gotta be a goon.

:siren:ALERT:siren:
The cast is listed from the bottom up

• Locked thread