Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I have not listened to an episode since it left UCB. It seems like the hard out 45-50 minute time frame probably helped keep the episode moving too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Latest ep is one of the best in a while. Shane Black tells some great stories and has no filter.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Latest ep is one of the best in a while. Shane Black tells some great stories and has no filter.

I'll give it a listen. Always down for a good ep of Doug Loves Movies, though I too have kind of checked out. UCB seems to have been a breaking point. Is there some way to blame Cameron Esposito for this?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I liked the latest one. Shane Black is great and the other two dummies are enjoyable. It's another episode where the game is like, a tenth of the show, though, if that still bothers people.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'll give it a listen. Always down for a good ep of Doug Loves Movies, though I too have kind of checked out. UCB seems to have been a breaking point. Is there some way to blame Cameron Esposito for this?

As it's been said before, Doug is just an old grumpy dude. He was getting pissed because it wasn't completely filled out at the theater. Even though asking people to come into Hollywood during rush hour and wait in line for an unannounced lineup. Plus he got notably grumpy about that around the Holidays and it's like, dude, lots of people leave town and the crowd for every show is lighter that time of year. It's just how it goes.

Although I totally get it, more power to him. If he could make some money off it I get that.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

soggybagel posted:

As it's been said before, Doug is just an old grumpy dude. He was getting pissed because it wasn't completely filled out at the theater. Even though asking people to come into Hollywood during rush hour and wait in line for an unannounced lineup. Plus he got notably grumpy about that around the Holidays and it's like, dude, lots of people leave town and the crowd for every show is lighter that time of year. It's just how it goes.

Although I totally get it, more power to him. If he could make some money off it I get that.

He should chill out and smoke some weed or something

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The lack of some version of the Leonard Maltin game is sad. It's just so much more interesting/has more stakes than what he's been doing lately.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I skipped the last one, but this one with Jim Norton might be good. Yeah his games are at the worst they've been in the 5+ years I've been listening to him.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
The IMDb game is at least somewhat interesting but goddamn I'm sick of Last Man Stanton

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

n8r posted:

The lack of some version of the Leonard Maltin game is sad. It's just so much more interesting/has more stakes than what he's been doing lately.

I think Doug has said that he literally can't do it anymore because the app is no longer being updated

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

-Atom- posted:

I think Doug has said that he literally can't do it anymore because the app is no longer being updated

Which seems like bullshit, because 1) most movies were made before the app ceased being updated, 2) it's not THAT much effort to go to the IMDB and modify things slightly for post-2012 movies, and 3) It would still be the Len Maltin Game even if not everything was from Len (which, obviously, it wasn't, because he had a team of writers).

Simply put, the other games are easier for him to run. Maybe I'm wrong and it somehow is a lot more work - but it'd be worth it, because the quality of the show has definitely fallen in the last couple of years.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I feel like he could adapt the game using Rotten Tomatoes. He'd have to figure out how to choose a number of actors (maybe cap it at 10 or something) and that's it. Use the % instead of stars. Use the goofy critic blurbs instead of goofy Maltin snippets. The end.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Doug is a crotchety old stoner just like Chong, you expect Chong to change his ways wait I guess he changed his ways to begin with and that's why it sucks....sorry got nothing

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

n8r posted:

I'm the type of listener who usually tunes out when they start playing the games, but I really miss the LMG too. Games like How Much Did This poo poo Make? don't lead to funny banter or stories.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I think the show is still fun to listen to for the most part and the games only matter if you have good rear end players like Sam or Geoff, but just as entertaining with people like Bert or Garland who don't give a poo poo.

Also, I'm eagerly anticipating that episode where Doug got so pissed at Bert that Geoff told Bert to gently caress off and Doug made Bert leave the stage.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

-Atom- posted:

I think the show is still fun to listen to for the most part and the games only matter if you have good rear end players like Sam or Geoff, but just as entertaining with people like Bert or Garland who don't give a poo poo.

Also, I'm eagerly anticipating that episode where Doug got so pissed at Bert that Geoff told Bert to gently caress off and Doug made Bert leave the stage.

holy poo poo, I'll keep an eye out for that one

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

holy poo poo, I'll keep an eye out for that one

it's going to be one of those 2 dollar episodes in like a week

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

-Atom- posted:

HA!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

-Atom- posted:

Is that what happens in that episode?! I may actually have to buy that.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Samm Levine is great on the latest FitzDog Radio. Especially talking about a $300 carpool lane dummy he's owned for 13 years to drive on the 405.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Train Surgeon posted:

If you value your sanity, skip the latest one with Judy Gold.

I'm catching up on my backlog, and got to this episode and after a few minutes thought, "is this the one the thread warned us about?"

Yes, yes it is. She is bad.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

I'm catching up on my backlog, and got to this episode and after a few minutes thought, "is this the one the thread warned us about?"

Yes, yes it is. She is bad.

I enjoyed it :colbert:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Did anyone listen to the last episode that went to the Comedy Albums section of iTunes? Is it as much of a trainwreck as Doug made it sound?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Binowru posted:

Did anyone listen to the last episode that went to the Comedy Albums section of iTunes? Is it as much of a trainwreck as Doug made it sound?

once it's not listed as 9.99 i'll buy it.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
It's $2 on Amazon. It is a goddamn train wreck. Bert is drunk from the beginning and is upset that Doug won't let him bring one hundred hamburgers onstage because the venue is a restaurant. Bert just gets more drunk and won't let Doug start the games and makes fun of people for liking Star Wars. Geoff and Doug pile on Bert for not knowing anything about movies and being obnoxious. Doug apparently yells at him in the hallway backstage. He eventually comes back out, talks with Doug, and the games start. That's basically the first half. Then he drinks more, he gets worse, he gets mean and eventually is booted and the other three finish the show off.

There's also a two hour podcast called Doug Loves Bert that is apparently them making up.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 14, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I usually like angry old man Doug but he went way too far in this episode. Bert was drunk and obnoxious, but he was also being funny. I mean, chastising your friend in front of hundreds of people over and over and over and over again to the point where his voice is cracking from being near-crying and where you can audibly hear a man broken down is excessive. I haven't listened to their make-up episode on Bert's podcast, but goddamn, Doug.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I usually like angry old man Doug but he went way too far in this episode. Bert was drunk and obnoxious, but he was also being funny. I mean, chastising your friend in front of hundreds of people over and over and over and over again to the point where his voice is cracking from being near-crying and where you can audibly hear a man broken down is excessive. I haven't listened to their make-up episode on Bert's podcast, but goddamn, Doug.

I agree. I mean, Bert flew himself out there just to be on the show. It's not like this is the first time he's ever been on DLM, even on a normal episode instead of what Doug calls a "gently caress around" episode with T.J. and Pete. He's been at least equally ridiculous on other episodes so I don't know what Doug was expecting.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Fieryspork posted:

It's $2 on Amazon. It is a goddamn train wreck. Bert is drunk from the beginning and is upset that Doug won't let him bring one hundred hamburgers onstage because the venue is a restaurant. Bert just gets more drunk and won't let Doug start the games and makes fun of people for liking Star Wars. Geoff and Doug pile on Bert for not knowing anything about movies and being obnoxious. Doug apparently yells at him in the hallway backstage. He eventually comes back out, talks with Doug, and the games start. That's basically the first half. Then he drinks more, he gets worse, he gets mean and eventually is booted and the other three finish the show off.

There's also a two hour podcast called Doug Loves Bert that is apparently them making up.

I am not planning on listening to this, but Geoff sucks. He has been on the show way too much and is all up his rear end and invested in how the show goes way too much to be a fun guest.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Geoff Tate is the best guest Doug has had in God knows how long.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think the bert podcast cleared things up, I'd be pissed as hell at him too

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not to cost Doug some downloads but I feel like you could just listen to the Bertcast of DOUG LOVES BERT and their talk explains everything and is probably more interesting than the DLM episode.

Doug thinks of DLM as a "movie trivia" podcast and not a comedy podcast. I think that might be part of my problem with it. I enjoy the games part but I listen for the comedy and comedians mostly. I always just assumed the games were stepping stones for comedy as opposed to being serious competitive.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

Not to cost Doug some downloads but I feel like you could just listen to the Bertcast of DOUG LOVES BERT and their talk explains everything and is probably more interesting than the DLM episode.

Doug thinks of DLM as a "movie trivia" podcast and not a comedy podcast. I think that might be part of my problem with it. I enjoy the games part but I listen for the comedy and comedians mostly. I always just assumed the games were stepping stones for comedy as opposed to being serious competitive.

Yeah I too think of it more of a comedy podcast. If it was just the games, I wouldn't even listen, especially with the boring games they use now. I could care less if they have to rush a game in the last 5 mins to make sure an audience member wins the prize bag.

The Bert podcast made me understand Doug's anger about the hamburgers though. I didn't realize it was a weird restaurant with a stage and not some club.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

He's not wrong about the movie trivia part, though. His vocal fan base talks about the games more than anything. Hell, a lot of the convo here is about the games. They're definitely used as a conduit for comedy, but I think Doug's point is about structure and not scaring off fans or future guests.

Ironically, his overreacting here is probably scaring off fans and future guests.

I think he really wants his show to be @midnight.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
Yeah the guy that throws food into his audience wants his show to be thought of as a Real Trivia podcast. Right.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's kind of a shame because the Leonard Maltin Game, at least what it's evolved into, is a really solid game. It's become a go-to party game for my friends and I. It's good for lunch breaks at work or road trips, and if you're sitting down and keeping score it can get quite competitive.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Dear Sergio posted:

Yeah the guy that throws food into his audience wants his show to be thought of as a Real Trivia podcast. Right.

It still puzzles me that so many audiences are okay with this, let alone venues.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

It still puzzles me that so many audiences are okay with this, let alone venues.

I guess some people like free food. I'm sure some venues hate it but I guess most donuts get caught. If they was ever a large enough mess they'd say something.

Also, do I remember Jim Gaffigan tossing out chips one at an NYC show or is that some weird dream I had? I vaguely remember someone like Doug or Graham saying something about the mess.

Edit:
https://vine.co/v/bIUq19I6OMm

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

The Ape of Naples posted:

I guess some people like free food. I'm sure some venues hate it but I guess most donuts get caught. If they was ever a large enough mess they'd say something.

Also, do I remember Jim Gaffigan tossing out chips one at an NYC show or is that some weird dream I had? I vaguely remember someone like Doug or Graham saying something about the mess.

Edit:
https://vine.co/v/bIUq19I6OMm

Jesus, I hadn't heard of that. Seriously though what the gently caress kind of Gallagher bullshit is that?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Latest DLM with Fitzsimmions, Corddry and the Motion City Soundtrack guy was really fun to listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Can I get a yay or nay on the episode with Danny Trejo? He's a fascinating guy but I'm not sure if he translates to a good guest, and I don't care much for the other guests.

• Locked thread