Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Hey Everybody! This thread is for discussion of Doug Loves Movies! (formerly I Love Movies) taped in front of a live audience at the UCB Theatre before Comedy Bang! Bang! (formerly Comedy Death-Ray, formerly not-a-thing).

Doug Loves Movies, or DLM is a podcast hosted by Doug Benson, a.k.a. this guy:

You may know him from his two Comedy Central specials, his podcast/show "The Benson Interruption", his Twitter feed, his pot-themed documentary Super High Me, or his different stand-up albums.

Once a week (at least), Doug has different stand-up friends on to discuss movies and play different games with him, including:

The Leonard "Len" Maltin Game: The game the podcast premise is based around. Think "Name that Tune" with movies, but instead of hearing notes the contestants hear actors in order of Len Maltin's billing.
Each round, the first contestant chooses a particular theme/category from three that Doug suggests. From there, subsequent contestants bid on how many actors Doug will tell them (ordered from lowest billed actor to top billed) before they have to guess the name of the movie. The next contestant can then choose to either bid a lower number of actors he/she can name the movie in, or tell the previous guest to name said movie in whatever number of actors the previous guest bid. If it sounds confusing, just listen to an episode. Once you hear a few Len Maltin games, you'll get the premise.

Want to play the game with friends? You can download the app used by Doug here. Edit: the Len Maltin Game site is down.

Those guests who do exceptionally well during Len Maltin Game will go on to compete against one another in the Tournament of Championships. What specific criteria to enter the Tournament often changes, but currently:

Binowru posted:

To get in you have to do negative names and go on to win the whole game.
Normally, three qualifiers compete during each match for the title. Recently, there have been rumblings of a Super Tournament of Championships, but specifics remain a mystery.

Build a Title: Much more straight forward. Someone suggests a movie title, and the contestants have to extend that movie's title with another movie title.
So, if someone suggested Die Hard, the next person would have to add a movie title that either ends in Die, or begins in Hard (i.e., Die Hard-Boiled, or alternatively Live and let Die Hard).

Watch This, Not That: Doug compares two movies at the top of the box-office, gives a small summary of each, and gives his opinion/pun on which one is worth watching.

Doug's Oscar Picks: Doug briefly describes why he thinks a recent movie should be nominated for a given Academy Award. Usually becomes a 2-3 minute discussion panel with the guests that kind of devolves into everyone making a case for their favorite movie.

Tweet Relief!: Essentially, Doug reads a tweet he thinks is funny.

You can check out recent DLM on the main website iTunes Libsyn RSS

You can find older DLM on Castroller

Additionally, several premium DLM episodes are available as paid downloads (found in his album section) on iTunes, and you can download the first season of DLM here.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Recommended Episodes:

In my opinion, anyone that appeared on CBB/Earwolf is a pretty good bet, especially Scott Aukerman or Paul F. Tompkins. I Highly recommend checking out Comedy Bang! Bang! or The Pod F. Tompkast.

Other people suggest:

THE AWESOME GHOST: Jimmy Pardo, John Lithgow and Paul F. Tompkins
Davinci: Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and Katie Aselton (from The League)
Yanni Eastacado: Jay Mohr, Jeff Garlin, and Evan Glodell
Rory Gilmore: Amy Schumer ep. and Anthony Jeselnik ep.
Furious George: Edgar Wright, Michael Cera, Aubrey Plaza
Yay Pudding!: Leonard Maltin, Jimmy Pardo and Samm Levine

There are plenty of other great recommendations here! Scroll through the first few pages and you'll pretty much see the best options the podcast has to offer.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 21, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is the only podcast I listen to every episode of. It's weird because I don't think Doug's standup is all that funny but he's pretty funny if there's other people there for him to riff off of.

Recommended Episode: John Lithgow finally getting on the show

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I can also recommend the episodes featuring the cast from The League and Parks & Recreation. But really, most of them are good.

Anyway, is there a way to get any of the episodes before the first one listed on Itunes? Or are there none, because the description doesn't make it sound like a first episode.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I love Doug's comedy but I can never watch movies because I'm broke. I tried listening but I feel out of the loop. Oh well.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
T.J. Miller is also a standout guest, and Patton Oswalt and Paul F. Tompkins have a loving encyclopedic knowledge of movies and always own the Leonard Maltin Game.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
Michael Rooker was an amazing guest. It was the episode where they had the cast of Super. Also, the first Jeff Garlin episode with Christopher Mintz-Plasse for the sheer unrelenting Garlin ripping into Chris.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I enjoy this show even though I don't know 90% of the movies they discuss. I like the Leonard Maltin game even though I almost never guess the movie. I will always hate build-a-title.

Astroglide
Apr 25, 2009
For my money, the episode with Todd Glass and Jimmy Dore is a classic gem. Todd, Jimmy, and Doug are all far too stoned. Todd can't remember ever having seen a movie, Jimmy is a dear in the headlights, and Doug is too bemused to pilot his podcast around the THC iceberg. I don't recall if they ever get to the Maltin Game, I'm guessing no. It's one of the stupidest things you will ever hear, and yet still one of my favorite episodes.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
Favorite eps:

The one with Elizabeth Shue and Adam Scott when she talks about being creeped out by Paul Veerhoven
Live in Baltimore where Doug. Amy Schumer, Anthony Jeselnick are all wasted.
The recent one with Jay Mohr and Jeff Garlin with the recurring grandma'scock.com joke
Anything with Samm Levine, Patton Oswalt, or TJ Miller

Jesus FTW IRL
Feb 26, 2007
Grandmaster Smiter
Huge fan of this show, and any time T.J. Miller is on it I laugh too loud at work and get disapproving looks. He is easily my favorite guest. Interested to check out that music album he just released, now that I think about it.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Davincie posted:

Anyway, is there a way to get any of the episodes before the first one listed on Itunes? Or are there none, because the description doesn't make it sound like a first episode.

You can buy the first two "seasons" of DLM here. Fair warning though, the first season is a little rougher (so-so audio, one guest, occasionally no game) than current episodes. But they're still fun.

As for the episodes between season 2 and the last available episode on iTunes, I can't seem to find those either :(

Keep the suggestions coming guys! Particularly episodes you think would be good introductory episodes. I'll update the OP with them later.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 25, 2011

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Anything with Amy Schumer, Anthony Jeselnik, or TJ Miller is golden. I'm actually going to DLM in NYC next month. He said Lithgow was supposed to show up (this was in June), but had to cancel last minute, so hopefully he'll be able to make the upcoming one :ohdear:.

That NYC album is on the store actually, and it was really great live but I haven't listened to it post-attending.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Yanni Estacado posted:

Favorite eps:

The one with Elizabeth Shue and Adam Scott when she talks about being creeped out by Paul Veerhoven
Live in Baltimore where Doug. Amy Schumer, Anthony Jeselnick are all wasted.
The recent one with Jay Mohr and Jeff Garlin with the recurring grandma'scock.com joke
Anything with Samm Levine, Patton Oswalt, or TJ Miller

Grandmascock.com/grammascock.com was a gem but the shows with guests who are not comedy superbros with Doug and just there to plug something are usually weaker. (IIRC, Garlin's previous appearance was good - but his ego wasn't paired against Mohr's either)

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

caveman thug poo poo posted:

T.J. Miller is also a standout guest, and Patton Oswalt and Paul F. Tompkins have a loving encyclopedic knowledge of movies and always own the Leonard Maltin Game.

Don't forget Edgar Wright. Everyone was astounded when he finally managed to get one wrong in a recent episode.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

danifestmestny posted:

Grandmascock.com/grammascock.com was a gem but the shows with guests who are not comedy superbros with Doug and just there to plug something are usually weaker. (IIRC, Garlin's previous appearance was good - but his ego wasn't paired against Mohr's either)

yeah i agree w/ you there. I got that feeling from Rainn Wilson.

Also I had to google deb digiovanni to make sure it wasn't tj miller doing a character.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I will always hate build-a-title.

I've never found it all that funny myself, but I'm guessing it might be more fun for those who are in the audience. Maybe not. Either way, I wish he wouldn't do it and would devote more time to him and his guests just riffing. Nothing's more annoying than Doug getting pissy about his guests shooting the poo poo, and insisting that they now absolutely have to play Build-a-Title. Or talk about audience members' retarded signs. Or other such unfunny stuff.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 26, 2011

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Yanni Estacado posted:

Also I had to google deb digiovanni to make sure it wasn't tj miller doing a character.
My god, that woman was one of the most annoying human beings I've had the displeasure of listening to.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
From the Megathread

Communocracy posted:

I was at the Doug Loves Movies taping in Toronto on Saturday. . . . Also he joked about how maybe this would be the first time there would be technical difficulties and the podcast wouldn't be posted. It still isn't up, and my tired brain is worrying about it for some reason. I WANNA HEAR THAT BANTER AGAIN!

Doug mentions at the start of the ep with Howard & Kulap that the episode you saw was lost due to a power surge unfortunately.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
There is a specific episode I have been trying to remember because I really want to hear it again. At the beginning Doug reads a "script" sent in by a fan that was really awful. I think it was somewhere about a year ago.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

Strange Matter posted:

My god, that woman was one of the most annoying human beings I've had the displeasure of listening to.

Yeah it was a pretty weak ep

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Yanni Estacado posted:

Lol the Rainn Wilson ep was the other one I had in mind, he sounded like the show was a chore. And Deb Digiovanni was brutal. It took me half the show to realize that the dude with the crazy loud and annoyingg laugh just off stage was actually her. Could only tell because I noticed the laughing was near constant when anyone else was talking and then stopped suddenly when she started barking. gently caress.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Yanni Estacado posted:

Yeah it was a pretty weak ep
Actually I liked the two directors. They had just the right combination of drunk and british, and once they opened up they were pretty funny. But man did Deb ruin that.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
One of my favorite episodes of DLM: The conclusion of the first Tournament of Championships, with Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo and Kate Micucci. The first half of the ep where they chat about movies is hilarious in itself, but the Len Maltin Game is nothing but pure ferocity. The winner got their winning point by naming a the movie with negative 4 names, and it manages to be both suspenseful and hilarious. Definitely find this one and listen to it.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Binowru posted:

One of my favorite episodes of DLM: The conclusion of the first Tournament of Championships, with Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo and Kate Micucci. The first half of the ep where they chat about movies is hilarious in itself, but the Len Maltin Game is nothing but pure ferocity. The winner got their winning point by naming a the movie with negative 4 names, and it manages to be both suspenseful and hilarious. Definitely find this one and listen to it.

I'm not sure which episode you're talking about. The first Tournament had Jimmy Pardo, Riki Lindhome and Matt Braunger, and Matt Braunger won, and it was won by Braunger saying to name it to Jimmy.

I could be wrong about this too, but I think Sean Cullen is the only person to get negative 4 names (for one of the Star Treks).

Was it a qualifying round?

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Listening to last week's ep and it has dawned on me how much I like the studio eps. Doug is less distracted without a live audience and the discussions at the start of the eps are always more focused and even insightful. Or they turn into a 30 minute discussion of Rounders replete with the same over the top impressions of Malkovich that I do. Doug is a lot more relaxed not having to worry about wrapping up in time for CDR to start.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

danifestmestny posted:

Listening to last week's ep and it has dawned on me how much I like the studio eps. Doug is less distracted without a live audience and the discussions at the start of the eps are always more focused and even insightful. Or they turn into a 30 minute discussion of Rounders replete with the same over the top impressions of Malkovich that I do. Doug is a lot more relaxed not having to worry about wrapping up in time for CDR to start.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat myself. I prefer the studio eps, mainly because I couldn't possibly find anything less interesting than comedians doing crowd work during a podcast. I still like almost all of the DLM episodes, but the studio ones seem most consistently funny to me. Especially when Lil' Wolverine is present.:3:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Studio episodes certainly have their advantages, but do they offer exciting baby action? I think not.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Binowru posted:

Is this the one that precedes the rule that negative names are in order of billing, so that Pardo is stuck on a category called Cary Grant Movies, or something like that, and spends like 10 minutes trying to come up with a fourth negative name when he hasn't said "Carey Grant" yet? Cause that was funny and insane as all hell. The audience was going berserk and Doug is just screaming "THIS IS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN NOBODY SAY A loving WORD!!"

Also, besides being really funny, Adam Scott is killer at the Maltin game.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
^^ oh drat, I forgot about that episode! yeah, I'll add that to the list then ^^

so this week we get a mini-sode which is Doug and Graham Elwood recording in a rental car on their way to record (a Friday?) DLM.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 29, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

big business sloth posted:

Is this the one that precedes the rule that negative names are in order of billing, so that Pardo is stuck on a category called Cary Grant Movies, or something like that, and spends like 10 minutes trying to come up with a fourth negative name when he hasn't said "Carey Grant" yet? Cause that was funny and insane as all hell. The audience was going berserk and Doug is just screaming "THIS IS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN NOBODY SAY A loving WORD!!"

Yep. Except the category is actually John Lithgow movies.

The newest DLM minisode is a pass. Doug and Graham play two rounds of Build-a-Title, neither of which get very far. Meh.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
What do you all think of Doug's decision to not let people chose the year anymore in the Leonard Maltin Game?

I think that it makes it way less interesting. I loved hearing the year choices and trying to figure out what each of them could be. Plus, it made being able to get things in zero / negative names way easier.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If he had more flexibility on time I'd agree, but as it is it helps streamline the gameplay.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I haven't listened to it yet, but the newest episode lists Leonard Maltin as a guest. Might be interesting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

big business sloth posted:

Also, besides being really funny, Adam Scott is killer at the Maltin game.

Is this a pay episode? I have never paid for a DLM but I like the show so much I'm considering it.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Yay Pudding! posted:

I haven't listened to it yet, but the newest episode lists Leonard Maltin as a guest. Might be interesting.

It's good (Maltin's always good and it's with Samm Levine and Jimmy Pardo), but I'm wondering what Jimmy Pardo could have said at the end that was so horrible.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this a pay episode? I have never paid for a DLM but I like the show so much I'm considering it.

i think it's like 2$ and it's also the only one I've bought and it was so worth it

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
God drat it, I want to hear what Jimmy said that Doug bleeped on today's episode too :argh:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh god I have to know what he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

aqu posted:

What do you all think of Doug's decision to not let people chose the year anymore in the Leonard Maltin Game?

I think it takes away a significant level of strategy in the game, and I think it's a bit more about luck now than it was. It's still pretty great though.

• Locked thread