Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
yeah I audibly went YEAH RIGHT when Boorjans said "we're not gonna knick ein on the Abwrack" a couple days ago and I'm kinda proud, like when the cats started making GBS threads in the box instead of next to it.

https://twitter.com/EMMA_Magazin/status/1268534365862137856?s=20

loving LOL Emma, come on. I also parsed the last sentence of that tweet as "Ein Schwarzer hat es selbst erlebt..." and was half-heartedly relieved they at least chose to pick a Black voice but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

anyone else think the MwSt.-Senkung is gonna get the Tamponsteuer treatment? aka prices are just gonna get hiked and the Endnutzer will not get anything out of this whole deal?

Also: 300€ per kid. lol

At least the Abwrackprämie isn't coming, thanks to the SPD. Oh well.

Don't even need a price hike. VAT rate reduction results in higher profit at same price to end user already.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

How so?

(Also how much of that is gonna get eaten up by having to umstell the Buchhaltung, printing new ads etc. etc.?)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Zwille posted:

anyone else think the MwSt.-Senkung is gonna get the Tamponsteuer treatment? aka prices are just gonna get hiked and the Endnutzer will not get anything out of this whole deal?

Olaf Scholz literally said he expects, "dass die Wirtschaft sie nicht zu ihrem Vorteil nutze, sondern an die Bürger weitergebe". I.e. the government knows full well that this could happen but they're already promising to not do anything about it. I.e. it's absolutely what's going to happen and they don't care.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zwille posted:

loving LOL Emma, come on. I also parsed the last sentence of that tweet as "Ein Schwarzer hat es selbst erlebt..." and was half-heartedly relieved they at least chose to pick a Black voice but no.
Oh you better believe that's where she sees herself though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Srsly don't see what this is supposed to do. If you spend a thousand Euromark this will save you enough money to go get a mid-market pizza with the wife afterwards, that doesn't really get the juices flowing

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Combat Theory posted:

please tell me more about how avoiding discussion and exchange of opinion is helpful in eliminating ethnic segregation in our society OP.

There's a lot that could be said on the matter, but let me put it like this. Here's a white cis non-straight dude who talked about BLM in the correct manner.

https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1268046580877148163

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mithaldu posted:

Can you link that?

I've seen only this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN8ISwuiX68

It's going to be impossible to find it again at this point, even the strongest google-fu can't pinpoint it because of the sheer volume of police bullshit happening over there.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

cebrail posted:

Olaf Scholz literally said he expects, "dass die Wirtschaft sie nicht zu ihrem Vorteil nutze, sondern an die Bürger weitergebe".
Yup, yup. Not using things to their profit is what economists are known for. Let's just hope that this Scholz guy will never get into any steering position where he'd have to predict people and their motivations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wipfmetz posted:

Yup, yup. Not using things to their profit is what economists are known for. Let's just hope that this Scholz guy will never get into any steering position where he'd have to predict people and their motivations.

Oh my god, your AV just gave me a massive flashback.

Christ, I spent so much time playing Clonk. I recall having my dad literally mail money to the developer for a registration code to unlock what I think was a shareware/freeware version on a PC Gamer Zeitschrift. Man, I'm gonna look up that game again now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Randler posted:

Don't even need a price hike. VAT rate reduction results in higher profit at same price to end user already.

Yeah. I read that a similar measure in the UK during the GFC led to consumer price drops of 75% of products and I have absolutely no idea how that happened. Most product prices are rounded, so are the t-shirts gonna cost 9.70 EUr instead of 10 now? I mean, I can see how price drops might happen on certain products, but 75% of all products? That seems like number fudging.

Zwille posted:

Also: 300€ per kid. lol

Kinderbarone :argh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah. I read that a similar measure in the UK during the GFC led to consumer price drops of 75% of products and I have absolutely no idea how that happened. Most product prices are rounded, so are the t-shirts gonna cost 9.70 EUr instead of 10 now? I mean, I can see how price drops might happen on certain products, but 75% of all products? That seems like number fudging.

Are you talking about the UK "tampon tax"? Because that is a special case due to grandfathered zero rates (which are different from VAT exemptions).

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Combat Theory posted:

I think that last part is really not that helpful. People are qualified to comment on social matters regardless of their ethnic and social background because we all share this society and this planet.

If a person of color wrote that statement in the United States of the 60s we, as somewhat enlightened hairless monkeys of the 21st century, would feel the need to embrace the importance of their participation in a social discussion. Having the average white dude comment and more importantly participate in discussion with minorities is equally important today.

Besides. This is a debate and discussion forum and I would unironcally be interested in your opinion.

Nah, I'm good. I agree with your point though that it is important to keep the dialogue going, but I am not in one. I am pretty sure most, if not all people, in this thread can agree on racism being bad even without my input.

My Lovely Horse posted:

as a cis white middle aged middle class male I will not comment on this but more importantly I want you all to know that I will not comment on it and validate that I know when not to comment on things
I wanted to convey my mixed feelings about this matter, but eh, fair enough. :shrug:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Randler posted:

Are you talking about the UK "tampon tax"? Because that is a special case due to grandfathered zero rates (which are different from VAT exemptions).

UK temporarily reduced their VAT in 2008. That 75% figure is from some Spiegel article I read on the toilet this morning but I can't find it cause I'm supposed to be working right now(lol)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
My limited understanding of VAT is that it's a highly regressive tax by design, and basically exists because, in the most generous possible interpretation of the motivations underpinning it, the government decided that it was too costly/difficult to tax the wealthy and in order to keep afloat it went after an easy target that couldn't defend itself: the lower and middle class. The classic example is that the wealthy are not buying a proportionate amount of milk to their wealth as the poor are, for whom any increased cost represents an often crippling hit to their take home pay. Which, even assuming the best of motivations, means that any VAT on things that the lower classes ever buy, like milk (even 7%), is an inexcusable punishment for the crime of being alive and not being rich enough to reduce your tax footprint via legal means that are only accessible to the wealthy.

Is there any argument for VAT that doesn't hinge upon the idea that "it's not desirable or feasible to tax profit"?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sulla Faex posted:

My limited understanding of VAT is that it's a highly regressive tax by design, and basically exists because, in the most generous possible interpretation of the motivations underpinning it, the government decided that it was too costly/difficult to tax the wealthy and in order to keep afloat it went after an easy target that couldn't defend itself: the lower and middle class. The classic example is that the wealthy are not buying a proportionate amount of milk to their wealth as the poor are, for whom any increased cost represents an often crippling hit to their take home pay. Which, even assuming the best of motivations, means that any VAT on things that the lower classes ever buy, like milk (even 7%), is an inexcusable punishment for the crime of being alive and not being rich enough to reduce your tax footprint via legal means that are only accessible to the wealthy.

Is there any argument for VAT that doesn't hinge upon the idea that "it's not desirable or feasible to tax profit"?

Not an expert (tax or otherwise) but how else are you gonna tax the production of goods and services if not at the point of sale/consumption? Can't use business/corporate taxes cause they only apply to profits, not revenue. You could make an argument that the production of goods and services shouldn't be taxes at all or that certain goods should be exempt though.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

There‘s the opinion that there ain‘t such a thing as direct taxes as they end up being part of the price of the final product in many cases.

Also, households with a low income (~ less than 3k a month, I think) are Nettotransferempfänger anyway, so a VAT mainly reduces the Kaufkraft of their Transferleistung and it essentially becomes linke Tasche, rechte Tasche.

If you have a look at „the whale in the tub“ graph you also should be able to understand my furious anger wrt Beamte not pulling their weight when it comes to contributing to society.

https://www.diw.de/de/diw_01.c.559193.de/nachrichten/senkt_die_mehrwertsteuer.html

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2020

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, somehow I'm not confident that prices are gonna change meaningfully. I'm sure the usual suspects will verzeich a solid 2% extra profit that quarter, though.

Ya, maybe on more expensive goods, but in supermarkets? It will now cost 0.97 instead of 0.99? No way short of them saying they'll reduce it at the till.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I interest you in a quaint little story about how much AfD and FDP suck?

So, the Zecken that form the Berlin Senat have used the corona crisis to create a number of so called Pop-up-Radwege throughout the city. Basically they reorganised some widely used roads to drastically increase the space for cyclists, using yellow street markings, like this:

Cool and good, right? Well, most agree, but of course the AfD and FDP are now crying that it's not fair to motorists.

quote:

Berlins Opposition stellt sich gegen Pop-up-Radwege

Die AfD beantragt, die Pop-up-Radwege ein Berlin wieder zu streichen. Auch die FDP hat rechtliche Zweifel an der Einrichtung.

[...]

„Die Einrichtung der Radwege ist eindeutig rechtswidrig.“ Darum müssten die gelben Markierungen und alle dazugehörigen Verkehrsschilder umgehend von den betroffenen Straßen entfernt werden, so der AfD-Politiker. :qq:„Es ist untragbar, dass Kraftfahrern durch politische Willkür die Nutzung von Straßen verwehrt wird.“ :qq: Notfalls, so Scholtysek, wolle seine Partei dagegen klagen.

[...]

https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article229249332/Berlins-Opposition-stellt-sich-gegen-Pop-up-Radwege.html

lol.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Umsatzsteuer ist ein Kostenfaktor bzw. eine Betriebsausgabe für den Unternehmer der die Umsätze ausführt.

Beispiel:
(Mit Umsatzsteuersatz von 20 %)

Ich bin Obsthändler und kaufe von meinem Lieferanten im Mai 20 Melonen. Mein Lieferant stellt mir die folgende Rechnung aus:

code:
20 Melonen, Stückpreis 100 EUR;
Gesamtpreis 20 x 100 = 2.000 EUR, zzgl. 20 % Umsatzsteuer.

Bitte überweisen Sie den Gesamtbetrag von 2.400 EUR binnen 30 Tagen ab Erhalt der Rechnung.
Ich muss also 2.400 EUR an meinen Lieferanten zahlen. Weil ich als Unternehmer zum Vorsteuerabzug berechtigt bin, erstattet mir das Finanzamt aber die Umsatzsteuer, die ich für Waren und Dienstleistungen zahle, welche ich für mein Unternehmen beziehe (Vorsteuer). Weil ich also 400 EUR vom Finanzamt wiederkriege, habe ich für meinen Wareneinkauf effektiv nur 2.000 EUR aufgewendet.

Jetzt verkaufe ich die Melonen an meine Kunden. Auf dem Wochenmarkt kann ich meine Melonen zu einem Stückpreis von 200 EUR an den Mann bringen. Jede Melone die ich verkaufe ist umsatzsteuerlich eine Lieferung, für welche ich an das Finanzamt Umsatzsteuer abführen muss. Die Umsatzsteuer ist 20 % der Bemessungsgrundlage. Bemessungsgrundlage ist der Verkaufspreis (200 EUR) abzüglich der darin enthaltenen Umsatzsteuer. Somit ist die geschuldete Umsatzsteuer für die Lieferung einer Melonde (200 EUR / 1,20 * 20 % = 33 EUR). Ich kriege also von meinen Kunden für eine Melone 200 EUR, muss davon aber 33 EUR an das Finanzamt abführen. Somit habe ich insgesamt nur 167 EUR aus dem Verkauf der Melone erlöst.

Wenn die Umsatzsteuer jetzt zum Zeitpunkt des Verkaufs nur noch 10 % beträgt, dann erhalte ich von meinem Kunden immer noch 200 EUR. Ich muss davon aber nur noch (200 EUR / 1,10 * 10 % = 18 EUR) an das Finanzamt abführen. Somit erlöse ich aus der Veräußerung der Melone nunmehr statt 167 EUR auf einmal 182 EUR, obwohl der Endpreis für den Verbraucher gleich geblieben ist.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Sulla Faex posted:

Are you familiar with Adam Smith's work on the principles of taxation?

The thing to understand about taxation, incidentally a thing many people do not understand about taxation, is that the main function of taxes is to rise revenue of the state.

The state wants revenue. That is its main objective. The state wants to get as much revenue as it can as easy as it can.

Therefore, the state wants to tax things which indicate that there are is money to get. In professional circles this is also referred to as the "You're huge, so you have huge guts of tax." paradigm or "Anzeichen der Leistungsfähigkeit".

If somebody purchases goods or services, i.e. "They are huge", we can infer that they have money to spend, i.e. "So they have huge guts of tax." As such, the tax sees an easy target to successfully "rip and tax".

For direct taxes (e.g. income tax), the "huge guts" are e.g. somebody getting paid a salary which is subsequently ripped and taxed.

All other aspects, like convenience, fairness and proportionality are secondary concerns. The main driver for designing tax systems is to find the huge guy, and then rip and tax his huge guts.

===

One of the main stumbling blocks for wealth taxation (e.g. Vermögenssteuer) in this context is that while the guy is undoubtably huge, it is very difficult to assess exactly how much taxable guts there are in that huge guy, e.g. wie viel das Vermögen wert ist. And the difficulty in evaluating those guts (Bewertung) actually would mean you have to put a lot of money in paying the professional guts valuation guy (Finanzbeamte) before you can actually get to the ripping of the guts. Wealth taxation would still result in a net plus of guts being ripped, though, but the "Bewertung von Vermögenssteuern ist zu schwer, deshalb machen wir keine Vermögenssteuern" argument is not solely based on the legislative having been subverted by fatcat demons who do not want their guts ripped and taxed.

Randler fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 4, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Randler posted:

Umsatzsteuer ist ein Kostenfaktor bzw. eine Betriebsausgabe für den Unternehmer der die Umsätze ausführt.

Beispiel:
(Mit Umsatzsteuersatz von 20 %)

Ich bin Obsthändler und kaufe von meinem Lieferanten im Mai 20 Melonen. Mein Lieferant stellt mir die folgende Rechnung aus:

code:
20 Melonen, Stückpreis 100 EUR;
Gesamtpreis 20 x 100 = 2.000 EUR, zzgl. 20 % Umsatzsteuer.

Bitte überweisen Sie den Gesamtbetrag von 2.400 EUR binnen 30 Tagen ab Erhalt der Rechnung.
Ich muss also 2.400 EUR an meinen Lieferanten zahlen. Weil ich als Unternehmer zum Vorsteuerabzug berechtigt bin, erstattet mir das Finanzamt aber die Umsatzsteuer, die ich für Waren und Dienstleistungen zahle, welche ich für mein Unternehmen beziehe (Vorsteuer). Weil ich also 400 EUR vom Finanzamt wiederkriege, habe ich für meinen Wareneinkauf effektiv nur 2.000 EUR aufgewendet.

Jetzt verkaufe ich die Melonen an meine Kunden. Auf dem Wochenmarkt kann ich meine Melonen zu einem Stückpreis von 200 EUR an den Mann bringen. Jede Melone die ich verkaufe ist umsatzsteuerlich eine Lieferung, für welche ich an das Finanzamt Umsatzsteuer abführen muss. Die Umsatzsteuer ist 20 % der Bemessungsgrundlage. Bemessungsgrundlage ist der Verkaufspreis (200 EUR) abzüglich der darin enthaltenen Umsatzsteuer. Somit ist die geschuldete Umsatzsteuer für die Lieferung einer Melonde (200 EUR / 1,20 * 20 % = 33 EUR). Ich kriege also von meinen Kunden für eine Melone 200 EUR, muss davon aber 33 EUR an das Finanzamt abführen. Somit habe ich insgesamt nur 167 EUR aus dem Verkauf der Melone erlöst.

Wenn die Umsatzsteuer jetzt zum Zeitpunkt des Verkaufs nur noch 10 % beträgt, dann erhalte ich von meinem Kunden immer noch 200 EUR. Ich muss davon aber nur noch (200 EUR / 1,10 * 10 % = 18 EUR) an das Finanzamt abführen. Somit erlöse ich aus der Veräußerung der Melone nunmehr statt 167 EUR auf einmal 182 EUR, obwohl der Endpreis für den Verbraucher gleich geblieben ist.

I have a Diplom in maths and this stuff is breaking my brain. If Umsatzsteuer is 20% and I sell my melons for 200, why do I have to pay 33€ and not 200*0.2€ = 40€ in this example. Can you explain it to me like I'm American?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

KonvexKonkav posted:

I have a Diplom in maths and this stuff is breaking my brain. If Umsatzsteuer is 20% and I sell my melons for 200, why do I have to pay 33€ and not 200*0.2€ = 40€ in this example. Can you explain it to me like I'm American?

Because VAT is calculated as [VAT rate]*[tax base]. And [tax base] is defined as "Everything the supplier of the goods or services receives from the customer in exchange for the goods or services, but excluding the VAT amount contained therein", cf. Sec. 10 Umsatzsteuergesetz. The reason for this somewhat involved way of calculating VAT lies in certain edge cases where people make pricing errors, but they are specific enough that I forget them after I read them all the time. It made sense to do it that way, though. IIRC it effectively works as a safeguard that the state is always entitled to the legally correct amount of VAT even if the supplier and the customers gently caress up their application of the proper VAT rate big time.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oof, thanks for the write up. So basically an €100 netto good is “worth” €119 in income tax terms because this is calculated on brutto terms, so you pay taxes based on that. If mwst gets sunk to 17%, it’s €117 what’s taxed. That about it?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Christ, I spent so much time playing Clonk. I recall having my dad literally mail money to the developer for a registration code

:same:

I still have the reg file for Clonk Endeavour. It has a timestamp from '04.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
clonk solidarity

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

Oof, thanks for the write up. So basically an €100 netto good is “worth” €119 in income tax terms because this is calculated on brutto terms, so you pay taxes based on that. If mwst gets sunk to 17%, it’s €117 what’s taxed. That about it?

Nein, für Zwecke der Einkommensteuer kommt es darauf an, was Du tatsächlich von deinem Kunden erhälst. Die Umsatzsteuer, die du daraus an das Finanzamt abführen musst ist aber eine gegenläufige Betriebsausgabe.

code:
Beispiel:

Ich bin Obsthändler. Meine Einkünfte aus dem Obsthandel ermittle ich als Überschuss meiner Einnahmen über die Werbungskosten, wie ein normaler Arbeitnehmer. (Ich müsste eigentlich bilanzieren, aber Einnahmen-Überschuss-Rechnung ist einfacher darzustellen.)

Ich habe in obigen Beispiel die folgenden Einnahmen und Werbungskosten (lies: Betriebsausgaben, Kosten, etc.):

+   40.000 EUR (Das Geld, was mir die Kunden auf den Wochenmarkt für für insgesamt 20 Melonen á 200 EUR gegeben habe)
./.  2.400 EUR (Das Geld was ich an meinen Lieferanten für die Melonen gezahlt habe)
+      400 EUR (Die Vorsteuer, die ich vom Finanzamt erstattet kriege aus dem Ankauf der Melonen von meinem Lieferanten)
./.    660 EUR (Die Umsatzsteuer, die ich aus dem Verkauf der 20 Melonen abführen muss (20x30 EUR))
= 37.340 EUR Einkünfte aus meinen Obsthandel

Auf die 37.340 EUR zahle ich 45 % Einkommensteuer. Mir bleiben also 20.537 EUR übrig.

Wenn ich in der obigen Rechnung statt 660 EUR Umsatzsteuer (20 %) aus dem Verkauf meiner Melonen nur die 360 EUR (bei Umsatzsteuersatz 10 %) berücksichtige, dann hätte ich 37.640 EUR aus meinem Obsthandel erzielt und würde nach Abzug von 45 % Einkommensteuer noch 20.702 EUR übrig haben.

Der Vorteil den ich aus der reduzierten Mehrwersteuer habe wird insofern also auch nicht durch das höhere zu versteuernde Einkommen bei der Einkommensteuer abgefangen.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Okay, still don’t quite get it, because shouldn’t the Umsatzsteuer... ah gently caress it, I give up.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

Okay, still don’t quite get it, because shouldn’t the Umsatzsteuer... ah gently caress it, I give up.

Warte doch wenigstens ab, bis wir zu der Unterscheidung von steuerbaren, steuerbaren aber steuerfreien und steuerbaren und nicht steuerfreien aber mit 0 % zu besteuernden Umsätzen gelangen. :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maybe those FDP people with their "taxes on a Bierdeckel" are onto something after all :thunk:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Randler posted:

Warte doch wenigstens ab, bis wir zu der Unterscheidung von steuerbaren, steuerbaren aber steuerfreien und steuerbaren und nicht steuerfreien aber mit 0 % zu besteuernden Umsätzen gelangen. :)

:sludgepal:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Sereri posted:

Maybe those FDP people with their "taxes on a Bierdeckel" are onto something after all :thunk:

I know you're joking but please think of young impressionable goons who might actually believe that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Antigravitas posted:

I was stoked to see that there was apparently a crowd-developed project called OpenClonk, and installed it right away, but a) it immediately crashed my 4k display, b) requires some finaglery to run in 1920x1080 on my machine, and c) doesn't have the "clonky" feel I remember.
Gonna have to see if there are any playable Clonk Endeavour versions that'll run on a modern systems.

I don't think I played Clonk Rage ever.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
Germany Discussion: Rip and Tax

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Antigravitas posted:

I lost my regfiles for anything but Rage. Because it was the dark times before Keepass for me.

Talking about tax: I've been using the Elster Desktop app for my taxes up until now. Unfortunately, it's getting phased out. Any advise?
I'm just a good, honest employee without any strange income like "from landwirtschaft" without any really deep knowledge of taxes, but I can and do read promts and explanations displayed to me over the course of my taxdoing.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 4, 2020

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Wipfmetz posted:

I lost my regfiles for anything but Rage. Because it was the dark times before Keepass for me.

Talking about tax: I've been using the Elster Desktop app for my taxes up until now. Unfortunately, it's getting phased out. Any advise?
I'm just a good, honest employee without any strange income like "from landwirtschaft" without any really deep knowledge of taxes, but I can and do read promts and explanations displayed to me over the course of my taxdoing.

If Elster was OK and you're fine with doing your taxes online simply use "Mein Elster" --> elster.de

There are also apps but I haven't tried these. I'm using Buhl Tax because ... I dunno. 12,95€ a year, tax deductable seemed like I couldn't do much wrong. I guess they are all pretty much the same. I used to be self-employed, so I enjoy haggling with a faceless Behördenscherge over a Steckdosenleiste and Verpflegungsmehraufwand. YMMV.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

No advice, but I'm also annoyed that they are getting rid of a perfectly viable system and replacing it with something worse.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Randler posted:

Because VAT is calculated as [VAT rate]*[tax base]. And [tax base] is defined as "Everything the supplier of the goods or services receives from the customer in exchange for the goods or services, but excluding the VAT amount contained therein", cf. Sec. 10 Umsatzsteuergesetz. The reason for this somewhat involved way of calculating VAT lies in certain edge cases where people make pricing errors, but they are specific enough that I forget them after I read them all the time. It made sense to do it that way, though. IIRC it effectively works as a safeguard that the state is always entitled to the legally correct amount of VAT even if the supplier and the customers gently caress up their application of the proper VAT rate big time.

Thanks op, your explanation really helped. However, having actually taken a look into the Umsatzsteuergesetz after my last post, I think it's formulated in the most confusing way possible. Like in §10 Bemessungsgrundlage is defined like you said "abzüglich der enthaltenen Umsatzssteuer" etc. but what is Umsatzsteuer? This is defined in §12 as

quote:

Die Steuer beträgt für jeden steuerpflichtigen Umsatz 19 Prozent der Bemessungsgrundlage.
So Umsatzsteuer is defined in terms of Bemessungsgrundlage which is defined in terms of Umsatzssteuer. With the way you described it, it kind of makes sense but it sure as hell wouldn't be obvious to me if I had to figure it out just from the law itself.

I wonder why you couldn't simply define the full price (without VAT subtracted) as Bemessungsgrundlage and then set the Steuersatz to 19%/1.19 which is about 16%. That should give the same results in the end and would be much less confusing IMO.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

In somewhat related news:

I have been working alongside the öffentlicher Dienst all my work life, either as a self-employed consultant or as an goon-employée. When I had an exchange with my Öffi Partners this week I wasn't too surprised to hear that in more than one instance whole divisions haven't been working since the mid of March. They haven't heard from some Mitarbeiters during the last six weeks and no one bothered lighting a fire under their arse as the bosses also liked to slack off while it's socially acceptable. I am still trying to figure out what a "Führungskraft" does in these divisions.

I guess some hobby cellar saw some heavy activity during that time. They all could have used the break to kritisch hinterfrag their Ablaufs (which is part of my job) but that would have meant :effort:

Anyway, that's why I fight the finanzamt for every cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Einbauschrank posted:

There are also apps but I haven't tried these. I'm using Buhl Tax because ... I dunno. 12,95€ a year, tax deductable seemed like I couldn't do much wrong. I guess they are all pretty much the same. I used to be self-employed, so I enjoy haggling with a faceless Behördenscherge over a Steckdosenleiste and Verpflegungsmehraufwand. YMMV.

Is Buhl the same as WISO? Because I'm pretty sure WISO is developed by Buhl or something but WISO runs me about 30€ a pop.