Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GABA ghoul posted:

Let's say it takes $1 billion to bring a certain drug to market, manufacturing costs per dosage are negligible and the market is 100k patients per year. What would motivate a company to invest into the development process if there is no patent protection?
In this case you might think that the billions in public funding put into companies to support specifically Covid R&D and rush manufacturing, plus guaranteed sales, might have done something to alleviate the poor shareholders' worries. Public research funding should be contingent on free and publicly available research results, as is increasingly the case with normal EU research funding - in this case you'd think it would be more vital than ever. It hardly helps Germany to get everyone vaccinated if a new vaccine resistant mutation is imported a few months later from somewhere that couldn't afford the vaccines.

That's, as you say, leaving aside simply starting a publicly funded pharma organisation that exists to produce generic drugs for underserved or otherwise unprofitable diseases, as well as respond to crises just like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the problem with a public program is that it costs millions and the politicians who make it happen won't be in power when the benefits are evident, i. e. the next pandemic hits, so they won't get the praise. Hence they don't bother because it is easier to be praised for a stable Haushalt and no big expenses that aren't a project that makes their name live on forever.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ugh my allergies are kicking into swing already with only Hasel (used to be only if it’s Birke or Gräser) and I can’t be arsed to do a desensitization therapy at my rhinologist. Should I just get a prescription for that medication which seemed to work last time round or are there good over the counter stuffs yet?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
As a fellow allergy sufferer, lora seems to work well for me and is otc. That said, do a desensitization. It's worth it and if you don't, it'll only get worse.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Oh yeah? Well I'm allergic to work!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Just take cetirizin and sleep through the allergy season worry free.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Alright, thanks - I'm gonna give them a shot! Whatever they have ready to go.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

As a fellow allergy sufferer, lora seems to work well for me and is otc. That said, do a desensitization. It's worth it and if you don't, it'll only get worse.

Did you do the desensitization by injection or drops? I went with injections for my Milbenallergie and it seems to have worked. Obviously with Corona I'd wanna keep visits to the doctor to a minimum so I'd do the self-administered drops this time round, though I dunno if there's any pros and cons there re: Wirksamkeit. I read that drops are usually done for kids so I'm confused why my doc offered them.

However the Milben going away and Gräser etc. taking their place and getting worse after has me very :thunk:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I did injections for Frühblüher and daily pills for hayfever. Injections were 4 injections spread over 4 weeks, typically around November or December. Pills were year round, if I remember correctly.

I looked up the studies and I think injections work a little better, but both are decent. You'll probably want to take another look though, that was a few years ago.

Sitting out allergies is a bad strategy because they might get worse until you have asthma. I'd talk to a doc either way and see what they have to say, but I can confirm that desensitization helped me.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I developed allergies over the last couple of years or so which I thought wasn't possible, but apparently it is!

Anyway, I've been taking levocetirizin every day for the last couple of summers and it works well... and doesn't make you sleepy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Any contraindicators with ketamine?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Just higher incidence of shitposting

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Goons, please get your allergies treated. If you don't, you will get asthma sooner or later and that stuff's really not fun. Your lungs will hate you.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I've got allergies and already got asthma from pneumonia, checkmate :smuggo:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I already smoke, so my lungs are hardened against asthma, no worries

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Did Desensibilisierung for Pollen in my 20s, poo poo came back, did it again in my 30s. First time with Spritze, second time with Tabletten you put under your tongue. Both fine. My doc also said that it's a bad idea to just plaster it over with some Ceterizin and that it can for example expand to foods etc.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I did injections for Frühblüher and daily pills for hayfever. Injections were 4 injections spread over 4 weeks, typically around November or December. Pills were year round, if I remember correctly.

I looked up the studies and I think injections work a little better, but both are decent. You'll probably want to take another look though, that was a few years ago.

Sitting out allergies is a bad strategy because they might get worse until you have asthma. I'd talk to a doc either way and see what they have to say, but I can confirm that desensitization helped me.

Weiiird, my HNO did two loving years of injections for my Milben. Maybe three years even. First four-ish injections were weekly, then monthly. It sucked because the Wartezimmer had zero mobile coverage and no good reads but tons of yelling kids for some reason.

Anyway I found a new doctor with tons of free Termins so I got a Termin for an Allergietest next week, worry not about my future asthma, goons.

what do you smoke, oliwan?

betting on American Spirit or Pueblo

aphid_licker posted:

Did Desensibilisierung for Pollen in my 20s, poo poo came back, did it again in my 30s. First time with Spritze, second time with Tabletten you put under your tongue. Both fine. My doc also said that it's a bad idea to just plaster it over with some Ceterizin and that it can for example expand to foods etc.

Yeah I have a Kreuzallergie with Pfirsiche/Steinobst already, that was/is fun lol

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Zwille posted:

Weiiird, my HNO did two loving years of injections for my Milben. Maybe three years even. First four-ish injections were weekly, then monthly. It sucked because the Wartezimmer had zero mobile coverage and no good reads but tons of yelling kids for some reason.

Oh yeah, I should add that's over three years, I think. But just 4 weeks each year. Depends on the allergen and regimen though as far as I know.

By the way, for those curious about possibly opening things up after covid, Berlin has laid out their easy to follow strategy:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Interesting, I thought it was either drops or pricks. Well let’s see what the new doc says!

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Zwille posted:

Interesting, I thought it was either drops or pricks. Well let’s see what the new doc says!

Well, this post fits quite well to the Berlin open'er up strategy, too.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Zwille posted:

what do you smoke, oliwan?

betting on American Spirit or Pueblo

Javaanse Jongens :geert:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol this is bait, everyone knows that the Berlin smoke police will come and get you if you smoke anything else than American spirit (blue) or Pueblo (blue) + ocb papers + Gizeh filters

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Gizeh filters have that godawful Klebestreifen, though. Zigzag or bust imgo (typo, but I'll leave it)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Smirr posted:

Javaanse Jongens :geert:

That takes me back, I used to smoke that starting out. Man that was weird.

Smirr posted:

Gizeh filters have that godawful Klebestreifen, though. Zigzag or bust imgo (typo, but I'll leave it)

Oh the Klebestreifen are actually pretty helpful imo

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Zwille posted:

Oh the Klebestreifen are actually pretty helpful imo

For what exactly? They just tend to accidentally get wet when I put them between my lips and then the entire filter end of the cigarette turns into a non-Euclidean nightmare unless I focus hard, which I never do. I guess they're supposed to keep the filter from falling out of the cigarette, but that's not a problem to me because a) I know how to roll cigarette, so it never happens to me, b) when it happens to me, I go #yolo and either mash the filter back in or smoke without a filter

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It’s supposed to get wet though, that’s when you stick it down on the paper and it stays in place. I honestly never ever had my filter go shoggoth on me, ever

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
ey sorry digga hast vielleicht ein filter?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

„Kann ich mir vielleicht ne Zigarette drehen“ has to be the most hilarious schnorr line, semantically speaking, when all you’ve got is dreh abilities but no components

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Ziggis schnorren itt

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

So apparently many healthcare workers are refusing the AZ vaccine, because they want the good stuff (or in some cases because they're dumb). So there's lots of AZ vaccines sitting around, because we can't give them to non prio people. Good job all around.

At least they're willing to give it to teachers now, so congrats to those of you who will soon be able to share cigs with Brits with full peace of mind.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So many Raucher itt smh, Deutschmeet 2021 is CANCELLED

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Sereri posted:

So many Raucher itt smh, Deutschmeet 2021 is CANCELLED

Look at Mr. Smugface here who didn't get peer-pressured into paying for an earlier death, WE DON'T WANT YOU ANYWAY.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RabbitWizard posted:

Look at Mr. Smugface here who didn't get peer-pressured into paying for an earlier death, WE DON'T WANT YOU ANYWAY.

You wanna talk smug, I quit a decade ago :smug:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I never really smoked for extended periods of time and have smoked maybe a pack‘s worth in the last 5 years

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
At least you guys are used to people keeping their distance :shobon:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neco posted:

At least you guys are used to people keeping their distance :shobon:

One of my least favorite things about masks is how the stench lingers even longer now if you have to get too close to a Raucherhorde.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Smoking sucks. I‘m killing myself the way god intended, by working and drinking too much. Thanks.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Smoking sucks. I‘m killing myself the way god intended, by working and drinking too much. Thanks.

hell yeah dude same

edit since you guys post your favorite weeds imma post my favorite scotch: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001HUDTPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hell yeah dude same

edit since you guys post your favorite weeds imma post my favorite scotch: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001HUDTPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right on. I finished my bottle of Arran 10 just this weekend.

Also: the best way to consume smoke is drinking it :cheersbird:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Neco posted:

Right on. I finished my bottle of Arran 10 just this weekend.

Also: the best way to consume smoke is drinking it :cheersbird:

Amen. I’ve got a 2011 Caol Ila Single Cask here that I should really get started on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can only admire the audacity of Alman to scream out into the aether when they're slightly inconvenienced from not being able to immediately put their groceries down in Aldi.