Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Stuhlmajor posted:

In an interview on N24 immediately following the election, Nerz (?) was confronted with the apparent abundance of wiener in his party, but his response was more along the lines of "Well, we do have numerous women in the party, they've just shown themselves to be more involved in the operational aspect behind the scenes and thus have not made their way into the public eye", which I thought to be a well-executed response, very much unlike the "lol, women are scared of crowds"-response of Baum.

But if Nerz' response was only masking what that article up there sheds light on, then they've got some serious problems.
I'm fully allowing for the possibility that the chick mentioned in the article was an incompetent bitch/drama queen that had it coming and not, in fact, the person that she's portrayed as, but the way they handled the whole thing...jesus christ.

As a comp sci graduate of recent years here in Germany, the people that graduated with me are now spread all over Germany with their jobs, and half of those that I still am in contact with are sadly big fans of the pirate party and can't stop talking about how productive their meetings were and how they are the only party that will prevent us from female domination in the future (because they are enlightened and post-gender). They are unironically talking about being "gender-blind" in a way Colbert's persona claims to be "color-blind". I've been to a couple of local meetings and the only women there were desperate "just one of the boys" types and it was all very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

We've had 5 law suits in the last 4 years and none of them got settled out of court. Neither me nor my parents ever had the need for any lawsuits in the Netherlands in my lifetime as far as I can remember.

We mostly go to Rewe and Real, and there it happens weekly.

You must go to some real and rewe that they are trying to close down because their personnel got uppity or something

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
I spent my time in elementary school in a neighborhood that was considered "bad" (lot's of subsidized housing, immigrants, working poor, violence, theft...). The elementary school I went to was combined with a Hauptschule, which is the lowest tier of the secondary schools, ending after grade 9 already. This school was considered a problem school, and there was plenty of violence starting in grade one because the young kids would associate with cliques of older teens from the Hauptschule branch of the school. We had knifes and brass knuckles confiscated in grade one in my class.

All the problems of the German school system were very appearant in that situation:

We lived in that area because it was cheap and because with both parents still working on their degrees money was tight. Now, the school system said that kids have to go to the next elementary school to their place of living. People with the means to do so often circumvented this by registering in a different location and driving their kids to school (there are no school buses).

After the first four years (the elementary school part), the majority of students were sent directly to the integrated hauptschule.

The only kids that got sent to the Gymnasiums (the only schools that allow you to go to university later) were those that came from a "good" background. So, like me, they either had parents that were students and therefore just about socially acceptable, or they were "good Germans" with good jobs that simply didn't flee the neighborhood with the rest of them when the poor people and immigrants moved in. For those kids, even bad grades didn't mean that they couldn't go to Gymnasium, as in our state it is simply a strong recommendation (it will be weighed when applying at the Gymnasium), not actually mandatory. It simply took the parents to be forceful and the teachers to be understanding.

Everyone else, the working poor, the unemployed, the immigrants, were told in the most vivid colors how going to Gymnasium would break their kids, the high pressure, the unfamiliar environment, and to spare them the disappointment. After all, a good menial job is nothing to be ashamed of, right? And a nice Hauptschulabschluss will still allow you to become a craftsman or mechanic too! Even good grades didn't save you. The second best kid in my class was a girl with Iranian parents. She was sent to a Realschule (second tier of the ladder) because the teachers were just convinced that she could never make it at a Gymnasium with her background, and they worked on the parents until they agreed. I kept in contact with her, and she did actually make it to University in the end, but it took several extra years, a vocational training in a job she didn't want to do in the first place, and lots of angry feelings about her parents basically being railroaded into this decision by all those people who were supposed to give them recommendations for the best education of their child.

Now, you could dismiss this as purely anecdotal, but every single study on our school system finds exactly the same problem. Kids are being selected at age 9/10 and social background is a much higher factor than it should be. Both because of prejudices when the recommendations are being given, but also because especially if you come from a "bad" social environment you will have a hard time to achieve on a high level "right out of the box". If school is the first and only time you have similar possiblities as the kids from a "better" background, taking away those possiblities already again at age 10 is terrible. And believe me, getting back on track later is a lot harder than you might think.

Oh, and another anecdote:

The "Gynmasium" I went to after elementary school was situated right outside the neighborhood of my elementary school. I still lived in there, so it was a nice 10 minute walk from home every morning. However, on the first day of orientation at my new school, every student was handed a small map. That map showed the routes we were supposed to walk from the school to the main train/bus station, and had big red lines we were not supposed to cross. These red lines surrounded the neighborhood I lived in. It was deemed too dangerous for decent German kids to go into. Too much violence, you'd be "ripped off". This fear was of course not based in reality. I am sure that if you looked at crime stats they were elevated compared to the other areas of the city, and certainly compared to the suburbs that most of my fellow students were bus'ed in from, but you could just walk on these streets like the other 30000 of us. So while my fellow students were swapping horror stories about what was supposedly happening in that terrible neighborhood, 10 year old me was walking with my backpack happily home every day. I think that this illustrates the mindset of the people in charge of giving recommendations about your children's education though. At age 9, the few lucky kids will be selected who get to escape. At age 10, those that were allowed outside are told not go back in because "those people" are dangerous.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

The Flour Moth posted:

You're forgetting the Gesamtschule which appeared only recently as a school form. Well, "recently" as in 25 years ago or so. You will be tested in several stages if you can be recommended for the next school level, so to speak.

Which means you start there at age 9, stay there for a few years and make a Hauptschulabschluss or decide to go further. After a few more years you can get a Realschulabschluss or decide to go for Abitur (certifying you to study at a university).

While that doesn't solve all the problems inherent to the German education system, it's a nice step forward because what amounts to basically your whole future isn't decided at 9 years old and your academic potential can be assessed for a good while longer.

Yeah it's also why the Gesamtschule is hated so much by the conservatives or, more realistically, everybody from center to the right

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Confusion posted:

Believe it or not, but not every child has the same capabilities. Raising all schools to the Gymnasium level is simply impossible because not everybody can reach that level, no matter how much you invest in it. Futhermore, you'd be making a lot of kids very miserable, as trying to push somebody above his level is an incredibly frustrating experience for that person.

Why does it work in other countries, like Finland, that routinely end up far far ahead of the german schools in all comparative studies? Seems like its perfectly possible.

Plankalkül posted:

However, the most important thing to me is that when I started university, I noticed, that I had a radically different perspective at social rank then the other students. People couldn't imagine going to school with the lower classes and being "held back" by people not as awesome and gifted as them. Someone already mentioned, that the society in Germany is more a collection of parallel societies, who have often not much in common. I very much agree with that. I think the school system has a lot to do with that.

This is actually the worst about the school system. I talked about my "career path" from a bad neighborhood elementary school to a nice upper class Gymnasium. I was into all sports involving balls at the time, so I was used to play basketball, football etc. on street courts. I learned not to bring most of my friends from Gymnasium to these because they were simply unable to hide their disdain for the other kids playing when they realized they were from one of "those" schools.

I stopped bringing my "good" Gymnasium friends to these matches because we ended up getting into fights because they couldn't keep themselves from being arrogant little shits over their perceived status and class that they had on the regular kids where normally everyone else was playing without a problem.

And they seldom shake that attitude in adult life. And don't get me started on the casual racism towards everyone who's brown...

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Previously on GBS posted:

Having students that do better than German students and educating everyone to Abitur level are still very two different things. Besides, if basically everyone in German was middle class and a native speaker of German, we'd also do a lot better.

So basically we should sort out those non-native speaker, non-middle class students as early as possible to ensure results on average are better, am I right?

There is a big difference of splitting "career paths" at 15/16 or telling kids at age 9/10 to gently caress off with any hopes of a higher education. You don't need to qualify everyone to university levels (Abitur) if you can ensure that they get a good education anyway to qualify them for skilled labor. What we do at the moment is knowingly send children into failure (because we know that the Hauptschulen and even Realschulen in many places are broken), not based on realistic academic reasons, but because nice, decent Germans want to protect their little princes and princesses.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Plankalkuel posted:

Most of what you quoted wasn't my opinion, but simple statements about facts or about what in my experience the general outlook is on things. Personally I don't consider teachers lazy in general, no matter where or what they teach.

Is that a comparison of the best Finnish students with the best German students? Otherwise it's hardly a surprise, that the Gymnasium is better. I bet the other countries would get better results too, if the could throw all the not so great students out of the statistic. If looked at as a whole, Germany is still not in the top 10, and thats the 2009 study, where Germany had actually improved. For a system that was supposed to be naturally superior. it sure produced lovely results when people actually bothered to put it to the test.

Besides a system, that only benefits a few on the top (not even the best in ability as much as in social rank as PISA shows) and discards the rest is amoral in my opinion.

It is one of the main talking points for all the people that want to bury their heads in the sand. "If only we dismiss the results of all the people not going to Gymnasium we are at the top of the world". It's true that the Gymnasium leads to good results (students don't test better than the top students elsewhere though), but the lower schools lead to much worse results. So we are buying good results for roughly 25% of the students at the expense of the 75% who are not allowed to take part. Now if the proponents of our seperated school system would have a plan on how to actually fix this for those 75%, but nothing has been happening for the last 20 years but frantic defenses of their precious seperated Gymnasium.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
It is always hilarious to see people rant and rave about how "some cultures" have "incorrect traditions" and how it's their refusal to integrate and the left's blindness about these issues that lead to our current problems.

When in fact up until the the 80ies the official policy of the conservatives was to focus on returning all those Gastarbeiters and their descendants first and only integrate them second. Even 1998 the conservative government tried to save their necks by basing their election campaign on "Germany is not a country of immigration", even if reality strongly disagreed. The conservative hero of the 80ies, chancellor Kohl, was trying to get the Gastarbeiter (and their descendants) to leave the country with "Rückkehrprämien" (pay them to return to their country of origin).

Language courses and other incentives to integrate existed for one type of immigrant: the "(Spät)Aussiedler", people who lived in formerly german areas of the east that were lost after the war, who were able to claim citizenship right away. A child of turkish parents who came into Germany in the 60ies, worked and paid taxes for 30 years, could not automatically receive German citizenship until citizenship legislation was reformed under the first red-green government in 2000.

Germany's conservative political leadership managed to create most of our current problems because they were putting ideology before reality for 30 years. Then they try to rewrite history and blame "leftist multi cultural politics" which were never allowed to exist in Germany outside of a few communal govermnents organizing some "intercultural block parties" and free language courses at some community centers.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The SED had 2,3 million members. Of these 2,3 million members 5% transferred over to the Partei des Demokratischen Sozialismus (PDS).

The merger with the WASG happened in 2007 and merged 60000 PDS members with 11500 WASG members. At that time, 24% of the overall membership was from west Germany already (and therefore not SED). Their ex-SED membership is rapidly dieing out, 68% of their membership in the eastern parts of Germany are 60 years and older.

(These numbers are from a report of the Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung)

They still have enough people with reprehensible ideas (like the loons that keep popping up that defend the wall and the border policies of the DDR). But they clearly are not in a position to do anything but cause minor scandals by giving dumb statements, even in their own party. So sending the Verfassungsschutz after them seems like a hilarious overreaction.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

Nobody under a certain age here really seems to give a drat about quality or place of origin anymore though. You see all the older people going out to local farmers markets and spending lots of money on local stuff, where as pretty much every working class middle aged and younger person buys everything at aldi so they can have more money for various luxuries. You can even see it with cars, a lot of people are willing to go for a Skoda because it costs a few thousand euro less than VW, never mind the fact that you aren't (theoretically) supporting the local (German) economy. Working class people have been bitten by the consumerist bug, and they'll sacrifice quality/local economy just so they can personally have more new poo poo.

Do you honestly think that "a few thousand euro less" is something that the average household can just shrug off and say "I'll do my patriotic duty"? I live in an economically weak region of Germany and wages have been depressed here for decades. All my neighbors have no central heating, are heating with wood stoves and getting warm water with electrical boilers. My immediate neighbors recently splurged big money on a holiday home, which was a used caravan on a camping site 40km away. Spending two weeks fixing the thing up was the first holiday they had in years.

Consumerism has been a negative development, but it's not started because of poor people getting uppity and wanting more new poo poo. It starts at the top, and is then marketed down. All these nice older people that buy at the farmers market who buy new VWs will still have several time more new poo poo than any of the working class people who don't do their patriotic duty and buy at Aldi and drive old Toyotas or new Dacias

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

DerDestroyer posted:

I'm proposing governments worry about keeping their citizens employed because they're creating third world ghettos in 1st world paradise while funneling those jobs and the money somewhere else. If that's the 17th century then so be it. Globalization was a terrible idea to start with and it only makes sense if you're a CEO of some big name company and you want to maximize your margins. At the end of the day the only people who really benefit from it are rich people.

If you want to return to the 19t century, be my guest because that's what happening. We're recreating the problems the working class had in the 19th century bit by bit so it's not like what's currently happening is a solution either.

You're a genius! Just a short question: How much of the sales of a German company happens inside Germany, what do you think? Let's take the good German cars from VW for example that have been quoted as patriotically superior to the cheaper Skoda cars?

"Die Marke Volkswagen Pkw hat ihre Auslieferungen in den ersten drei Quartalen dieses Jahres weiter gesteigert und 3,81 (Januar – September 2010: 3,39; +12,3 Prozent) Millionen Fahrzeuge ausgeliefert. [...] So verkaufte die Marke in der Region Asien / Pazifik von Januar bis September 1,44 (1,27; +13,9 Prozent) Millionen Fahrzeuge. [...] In Nordamerika übergab Volkswagen Pkw bis September 362.000 (296.200; +22,2 Prozent) Fahrzeuge an Kunden. Vor allem der Jetta und der neue Passat sorgten im September für deutliche Zuwächse. In der Region Südamerika wurden im gleichen Zeitraum 579.400 (546.400) Fahrzeuge ausgeliefert und damit ein Plus von 6,1 Prozent erreicht. [...] In Europa steigerte Volkswagen Pkw seine Fahrzeugauslieferungen und händigte in den ersten neun Monaten des Jahres 1,30 (1,18; +9,9 Prozent) Millionen Modelle an Kunden aus. [...] Im Heimatmarkt Deutschland wurden mit 449.600 (408.300) Fahrzeugen 10,1 Prozent mehr Volkswagen ausgeliefert."

https://www.volkswagen-media-servic...ntlichkeit.html

So, of 3.81 million sold units in the last quarter, 449600 have been sold in Germany. I am sure it would benefit the German working class immensely if we'd remove import of products whenever we have a German product competing with it. Because I am sure the other 99% of the globe would certainly not return the favour in any way and keep importing our fantastic German quality wares.

Germany is dependant on our export business. What you're recommending is either incredibly naive, or simply driven by fear of foreign devils taking R jobs and R money

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Ioannis was living really good of all of our money!

quote:

Lebenshaltungskosten

Die Lebenshaltungskosten sind im Durchschnitt etwas niedriger als in Deutschland. Preiswert ist vor allem das heimische Gemüse, dafür kosten Milch, Käse und Eier ein Drittel bis doppelt so viel wie in Deutschland und das Kilo Fleisch meist mehr als 8 €. Die Telefongebühren gehören zu den höchsten in Europa. Die Lebenshaltungskosten variieren je nach Region stark. Auf den Inseln sind die Preise höher als auf dem Festland – unter anderem wegen der Transportkosten. Die Mieten liegen in der Provinz unter deutschem Niveau, sind jedoch in den vergangenen Jahren stark gestiegen. In touristischen Gebieten fehlen oftmals Wohnungen; viele Vermieter ziehen es vor, Unterkünfte an Urlauber zu vermieten, und verknappen so das reguläre Angebot zusätzlich.

Löhne und Gehälter

Das Lohnniveau ist in Griechenland sowohl im Vergleich mit anderen westeuropäischen Staaten als auch im Verhältnis zu den Lebenshaltungskosten recht niedrig. Dabei gibt es regionale Unterschiede: In Thessaloniki verdient man rund ein Viertel weniger als in Athen, im übrigen Land beträgt der Unterschied sogar 35 Prozent. Angestellte erhalten für einen Vollzeitjob im Durchschnitt gerade einmal 41 Prozent des Gehalts eines Angestellten in Deutschland. Innerhalb der Eurozone sind die Einkommen nur in Portugal noch niedriger.

http://www.ba-auslandsvermittlung.de/lang_de/nn_2856/DE/LaenderEU/Griechenland/Arbeiten/arbeiten-knoten.html__nnn=true

Can't read German:

According to the German Bundesagentur für Arbeit (hardly known for anti-capitalist propaganda), the cost of living in Greece are slightly less than in Germany, the average employee income however is merely 41% of the average German income.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Einbauschrank, how can you argue in one post that Ioannis is earning 3500€ for the same job that a worker in Germany earns 2200€, and when it's shown to you that it's total bullshit, counter with "but the taxes are lower and they all cheat!" without blushing?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

niethan posted:

Only two of the vics worked at a dönerbude.

If there was a number of bavarians being killed while on holiday in turkey and the turkish police would form a special investigation group called "donau" and investigate the "Sauerkraut-Morde" the BILD would have been raising hell.

If this was a number of italians being killed the German press would never have gotten away with calling it "Spaghettimorde", no matter if two out of 9 victims were restaurant owners. But it's turks who are our current redheaded stepchildren (no matter one of them was actually greek) so you cannot only call it "Döner-Morde" but you can also talk about "Döner-Opfer" (döner victim) when speaking about the victims even now.

Kraut couple found dead in tourist hotel, imagine that in a paper. "The last döner victim" can be found in an article published 3 days ago on spiegel :rolleyes:

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Einbauschrank posted:

This is true. But then you should hate dumb people. And remember, that half of a population are of subaverage intelligence and that this is perfectly normal.

Oh yes, the plebs is at fault again!

The only reason Guttenberg ever came to his positions is because he was well connected and had enough "elites" doing his propaganda for him. And the same people are still around, he lost a few, but nearly every "serious" newspaper in the last couple week had at least one or two pro-Guttenberg columns or op-eds by some conservative darling in the "interest of fairness". I can see from your posting carerr that in typical goony fashion you feel like all the bad things in the world are the fault of the dumb masses, but the media star Guttenberg wasn't created by the cheap boulevard for the masses, he started off as the golden boy of the elite that was supposed to bring knowledge and competency into politics and was sold as such to the masses later. And the same cheerleaders are still around and will do their best to bring him back. The approval by the BILD readers is only secondary to his success.

Einbauschrank posted:

Hell, if I didn't know this was about Guttenberg it would be no problem to coin the above quoted text to Joschka Fischer who wasn't anything but an eloquent bag of wind and didn't achieve anything noteworthy as a Foreign Minister besides giving away submarines for free and obviously not having any control over his ministry. Still, he was loved by many people - even those who weren't really dumb. I think Fischer's a walking pile of congealed grease held together by self-righteousness and I would pile Guttenberg into the same category: all show and no substance and a knack for lying.

You do realize that, regardless of what you think about Fischer's "achievements" during his time in office, the Greens (and he as one of their most important players) did move a lot in German politics? Without those rowdies with their sneakers and jeans in the regional parliaments 30 years ago a whole shitload of policy areas wouldn't even be on the agenda for even the SPD, much less any party to the right of them. Fischer actually was working in politics for a few decades before he took his golden parachute of being foreign secretary. You can dislike every policy Fischer and the Greens ever stood for, but there is no denying that they actually brought change to the politcal business in Germany. Guttenberg hasn't done a single thing in his whole political career, now that even his own party has been dissecting his Bundeswehr-Reform.

Einbauschrank posted:

And nobody who didn't believe him the first time is falling for it now. He has turned into a hate figure for those with a chip on their shoulder against nobility, rich people, conservative parties, Bavaria, Academia etc. I think he's a dead horse that hasn't realized that it is dead.

Seehofer would rather lick a cone of frozen embryos than to yield any space to Guttenberg.

Seriously? Is this the genius new strategy for Guttenbergs next comeback attempt? Are you seriously implying that people "that have a chip on their shoulders against academia" are hating on Guttenberg now?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
I actually expected a lot more whinging than he actually delivered, maybe mama merkel told him to not get on his soapbox

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
She's also about 100 years old and seems to like getting her picture taken together with other grandmas in jersey shore poses, faces and dresses (I was waiting at the doctors office and the only thing to read was Gala and Bunte, sue me)

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
It's old, but appearantly not total trash:

http://www.jurablogs.com/de/arge-aachen-vermittelt-prostituierte

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The pirate party is pretty much the worst of reddit these days, you'll find an arbeitskreis for every subreddit from mensrights to gun rights.

Aziraphale, do you get gas/oil/whatever for free in the US? Please enlighten me how utilities are handled in some rural village in the middle of nowhere in the US?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

The only moral abortion piracy is my abortion piracy.

(Link a source please, I love linking stuff like this on my Facebook.)

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/verlag-will-gegen-illegalen-download-von-klick-mich-vorgehen-a-856370.html

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The thing is: she received a 100.000 € advance on her book. You can't take an advance like that on your first book and on the other hand claim that you are surprised that the publisher is going after illegal downloads in your name. I mean, where are the 100k supposed to come from, free downloads?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

The Ender posted:

That's odd; I know that a lot of games have had their content changed for German releases in order to conform to the German censorship laws, and the content often involved specific depictions of Hitler, not just imagery (for example, one of the old Call of Duty games had the character model for Hitler changed, removing his mustache and having his in0game identity made ambiguous).

I guess media publishers are just overly cautious.

The games had their content changed because with practically no exception it has been games that are already running afoul of the German rating systems for glorifying violence and having nazis and nazi symbols everywhere that are being used as purely shock value would push each of them over the edge of being put on the "index" which basically means you can still buy/sell them but you cannot do any advertising at all or display them, or worst case they'd even be confiscated which means it cannot be sold at all. Confiscating happens rarely though.

This has changed in recent years as all games are being rated by an industry run ratings gremium and therefore games that would previously have been put on the "index" now just get a "18 and above" rating and can't be sold/made availabe to children but do not have to be hidden away behind the counter etc. anymore.

Nazi-symbols traditionally were a big "problem" in computer games in Germany because of the slightly hysteric reaction to violent computer games per se over here. "Real" media (film/tv/arts...) was able to use them just fine as long as it was obvious that the intention was not to glorify them. And as long as you were not some leftist anti-fascist in glorious Bavaria, where everything leftist is suspect :haw:

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 11, 2012

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Germany went straight from the openly racist phase to the OMG IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD phase, without ever actually understanding PC language.

Look at the way the CDU/CSU was still talking about immigrants and homosexuals and social issues in general under Helmut Kohl in the 80s/early 90s. We went straight from that to "omg you can't even say xy anymore" without realizing the irony of public discussion using Dönermorde or Homoehe without blinking. And it's not a case of "it's not meant that way" either, no one would have dared to talk about Spaghetti Morde for 10 years, and recently there was a minor storm in a waterglass when several political personalities realized at the same time that some migrant youth might call Germans "Weissbrote", so we had to have outraged political talk shows about it for a couple weeks straight. Same with Homoehe, it might start out of sheer lazyness, but it's certainly not used in a neutral way by large parts of the public.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
In 10 years we'll probably find out a V-Mann planted the bomb (deliberately non-functioning) in his quest to infiltrate some salafist splinter cell because the Verfassungsschutz had to spend the money they don't spend on as many V-Leute with the NPD anymore

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

bronin posted:

Buy your poo poo before 20:00, so what. I always think of the people who have to work those jobs. Yeah I know they should have gotten another job/other jobs require workinghours like that as well. Blah blah blah. Years ago only one day of the week was open til 20:00 and Saturday was usually till 12:00. Guess what, society functioned quite well back then too. I hate this "I want this, and I want it right NOW" mentality.

Before I went to university I managed the support desk in a computer retailer in a mall in Germany, and I have to say when the opening hours legislation was relaxed and we started keeping the store open to 2200 (2400 towards christmas) those were the nicest shifts to work for me (and all our other employees). Outside a few very hectic pre-christmas weekends you had a lot less customers, more time to prep for closing the shop without having to juggle a full store, and it also meant that you only went into work at 1400/1600 and had the whole morning/midday off to do all the things that as a regular working person you usually have to do weekends only (or take a day off for). Keep in mind, that you are still home early enough to get a regular amount of sleep during nighttime (unless you are a person that for some reason goes to bed at 2100).

However, this only worked out for us because we weren't forced to cover the additional hours with the same workforce and longer shifts. That's what makes the real difference. Were I live right now in bumfuck nowhere, we have like 3 big supermarkets that have long opening hours. A kaufland where the same couple desperate workers have to staff from 0900 to 2300, managing chashier lines at the same time as mopping floors and stocking shelves, a Globus who has dedicated personnel for the different jobs (but still uses 5€ temps for the shittier jobs and never really has a single more line open than absolutely necessary) and a Wasgau where even at absolute rush hour the cashiers don't really have queues and where even the people stocking the shelves are full time employed and get regular wages. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people would rather work an 8h shift to 2200 or 2300 at full wages and with normal breaks than work 11+ hours at one of the discounters that stretches your shifts from 0800 to 2030 and still only pays you for the official openening hours from 0900 to 2000.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
How many people that are in favour of mandatory early closing times actually make sure that they don't shop at exactly those discounters and supermarkets that treat their workers like poo poo anyway? I mean if you care for their fair treatment you surely aren't in favor of mandatory 2000 closing times and sundays off and then turn around and go shopping to aldi or lidl or rewe or real or ... right?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

What kind of job do you have where you're off work before 6 most days? I literally have no choice because by the time I get off work and get home, it's past 6. I can't do all my shopping for the week on Saturday.

You're supposed to have a stay at home wife that does the shopping for you

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do you know what Germany did to integrate them, in the post 1973 period? Legitimate question here, I have no loving idea, I haven't heard of anything but again, not my history. I wanna skip forward to modern times anyway. I can speak for how on some fronts today, Germany is pretty baller about integration. My course for takin' the Zertifikat Deutsch was cool as hell, I wish Iceland had as good a system for teaching foreigners Icelandic. poo poo was practical, student oriented, with flexible hours and you paid what you could. (I could pay a lot).
That poo poo is too little, to loving late though, for a large portion of the enclaves. It helps people coming in now or those that want to move on up but does nothing to attack already entrenched problems. So pointing at how this work, good as it may be, hasn't solved a situation that has been stewing for decades in a few short years is phenomenally retarded. And the reasons why people form enclaves, ehh. That's a deep point that I'm gonna bow outta. It's a big question with a bunch of different opinions as to why. Suffice to say throwing up your hands and saying: "Fuckit! This poo poo don't work!" solves nothing.
Hahaha, that was a legit great exchange. :)

And please, not the WW2 thing. I'm not even German and I'm already sick as poo poo of that whole discussion.

It took until 1979 for the first official strategy paper to be released by a German "Ausländerbeauftragter" that even mentioned things like offering second generation immigrants German citizenship. And only a fraction of it was even put into law by the SPD/FDP goverment. Then we had the 80ies where the main "Ausländerpolitik" of the now CDU/FDP government once again was "Rückführung" and only temporary integration, just get them outta here!

It took another 10 years for new legislation in 1991, and the CDU campaigned for their legislation with the slogan "Germany is not a country of immigration". When in loving 1992 neo-nazi lynchmobs were burning down asylum seekers housing or random turkish families houses, the CDU chancellor and secretary of state went on TV right after talking about how terrible it all is BUT WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING AGAINST THE ÜBERFREMDUNG TOO!

It took until 2000 that finally the SPD government legislated the transition from a purely "ius sanguinis" (by bloodline) principle of citizenship to a "ius soli" principle (by birth inside the country). And the CDU/CSU was railing loudly against this idea. I remember vividly being hounded for weeks by the friendly neighborhood CDU members trying to collect signatures for their petition "against the foreigners" (unless of course my dad was near, in which case they switched to the other side of the street in account of his dark skin color).

But because we then had 8 years of SPD/Green government all the good Germans can now rightfully claim "multikulti" doesn't work. After all, what are 40 years of ignorance and discrimination against 8 years of total multikulti?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
It's an absolute lie to claim that "Deutsch-anything" is a word that is actually used in every day language. It might be used in print, but in every day spoken language there are Germans and there are turks. It is also hilarious to claim 50 years of integration if you consider that it took until the late 80ies/early 90ies for politics to move away from the idea that the way to deal with "immigration" is to provide incentives for as many immigrants as possible to emigrate "back home" again. Even if the "immigrants" were second generation.

Secondly, there are "italian ghettos" as much as there are "turkish ghettos". It's just not as en vogue to talk about them, they are also simply harder to identify because they aren't doing as the favour of being "Kopftuchmädchen". I went to elementary school in an inner-city district where most of the parents of my German friends were finding every excuse under the sun to ship their children off to a different school because of all the immigrants, the vast majority was italian and portuguese, not turkish.

Check this lovely cover of known multikulti fanzine der spiegel from 1981 reading "Borders closed for foreigners?", choice quotes from the 1982 election campaigns:

soon-to-be chancellor Kohl (CDU): “Wir werden die Arbeitslosigkeit und die Zahl der in Deutschland lebenden Ausländer um die Hälfte reduzieren” (We will reduce unemployment and the number of foreigners living in Germany by 50%)

soon-to-be ex-chancellor Schmidt (SPD): "Mir kommt kein Türke mehr über die Grenze!" (I will not let a single turk cross the border anymore)

first "Ausländerbeauftragter" Heinz Kühn (SPD), 1980: „Ich wäre glücklich, wenn heute eine Million Türken wieder zurückgingen in ihre Heimat“ (I would be happy if one million turks would go back to their homeland today!)

But that's 1980ish, surely things changed soon! Well, maybe you should read the campaign points of the CDU/CSU in the 90s, first during the wave of neo-nazi violence and then when SPD/Greens were daring to reform immigration policy at the end of the millenium.

In 1991, when violent right wing extremism became a constant and public thing, the response of the government was a firm "Yes extrimism is bad BUT..." and promptly legislated it to be harder to apply for political asylum/immigrate, afterwards the secretary of the interior is on record as congratulating himself on the lowered number of new immigrants/asylum seekers with „Dieses Ergebnis wäre nicht erzielbar gewesen ohne die öffentliche Auseinandersetzung – die natürlich auch Hitzegrade erzeugt hat”. "This result would not have been possible without out public dicussion (over immigration) - which cause some degree of heat of course". You know, degrees of heat. Like a series of lynchmobs torching homes and housing of immigrants and asylum seekers.

Sounds far fetched: look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7PB6-gmDfw

This is Rudolf Seiters, secretary of the interior, in the press conference right on the night after the torching of an asylum seekers housing complex by a lynchmob. What's his message? We need to deal with the flood of asylum abuse that makes poor Germans act out against foreigners.

Oh, and just to remind everyone what we are talking about, so noone assumes hyperbole when I say "lynchmob":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkUQ4n_1ALU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcDRVtf1fSU

Even if you don't speak German, just check out how they can riot and burn things for ages, how large the mob is and then keep in mind that the police AND THE MOB had been on location for 3 days now, never once was the mob dispersed, and then in the end, most of the police force was actually pulled off before the actual burning happened. They were sieging the place for days and the police claimed they couldn't do anything because those actually being violent always retreated behind the lines of the "peaceful" (but chanting and applauding) onlookers.

And it then took until the SPD/Green government in 2000 for legislation to even allow dual citizenship for second generation immigrants, under strict rules. (My citizenship is German for example and if I apply to gain Bolivian citizenship, too, which I am entitled to on account of my father, in theory I have to apply for a special permit or otherwise I will lose my German citizenship. I say in theory because most foreign states simply don't feel the need to inform the German state of the whole procedure so if Germany never officially knows about my second citizenship they also won't revoke theirs). And the conservatives still took to the streets and to the election campaigns AGAIN against it. Sign here against the foreigners!

Don't get me wrong, Germany is not a land filled with roving bands of neo-nazis. Official policy has changed, especially once people realized that "THE MARKETS" and "THE ECONOMY" might call for it. It is just that I find it incredibly frustrating how blind otherwise rational people are to the fact that you cannot erase 40 years and two generations of history just so you can avert all the blame and place it nice and clean on the integrationsunwillige culture of "some people". I grew up in this country and I can remember vividly of being followed around by half the staff in every department store, who had to hover over me and my parents closely and actually on multiple occasions claimed that customers are not allowed to touch things like rugs, blankets, carpet, pillows when my dads brown hands moved towards it, while the German hausfrauen around us where being bombarded with "Feel this, sooo soft". Or how I was an absolute trains buff as a kid, and loved going on train rides to visit my grandma and who else on my own, but I was scared of buying tickets at the automatic vending machine all the way until I was in school because the first two times that I remember being old enough to use it myself, the Bundesbahn attendant nearby just shot over the five steps and actually slapped me on the hand with the words "stop playing around with this, you guys never pay anyway". Germany was fighting to avoid integrating their immigrants tooth and nail until what is only about one generation ago, and somehow is now trying to convince itself that this did not contribute to its current problems.

Edit: Oh and just something that I find ironic, considering how once again its the fear of economics in the face of low birth rates that actually makes people consider immigration in Germany: The original Gastarbeiter program included a provision that mandated the immigrants to return home after a two year period. Specifically so that they would not integrate and Germany would not be in danger of actually gaining a permanent immigrant population. This was only stricken after 2 years because the business' employing these workers complained that this made it unprofitable for them to do so, as they would have to reeducate a new set of workers after each period :toot:

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 10, 2013

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

botany posted:

Raab was the what now? Are we talking about the guy who three loving times tried to convince Steinbrück to go for a great coalition? The guy who's first question was, "Frau Merkel, aren't you really a bit too leftist for your own party?" Because that's the guy I saw and I wanted very badly to slap him through the TV.

I skipped the debate because it was only ever going to be terrible but reading today's papers they all seem to agree that Raab was the true winner :suicide:

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

The Greens had proposals to raise the taxes (not popular) and even the idea to create a veggie-day once a week, on which you would be unable to eat meat in canteen for public employees. This lead to the impression that they are for the Nanny state to a degree even most Germans are unconfortable with. In addition to that reports and documents surfaced that showed that they supported the legalization of adults having sexual relations with children up until the end of the eighties, something even more Germans were not comfortable with. Their leader, Jürgen Trittin, was implicated in those demands.

On the other hand you have the "Realos" or Bildungsbürger greens, especially in Baden Würtenberg where they have a Green head of government, who are less radical leftist and want the greens to be more centrist with the core topic of enviroment and energy politic. After the election those Greens where very fast to demand a course correction away from the left and are arguably the proponents of a Black/Green coalition.

Gerhard Schroeder is seen as a great Chancellor by the Right, who did the necessary reforms to make Germany fit for the 21st century by a lot of Germans, but the left of the SPD and the whole "die Linke" hate him because they think he ruined Germany and they want to reverse his reforms.

"Raising taxes" was not popular because the right successfully copied the american way and simply willingly lied about the actual proposals, making the masses believe that it would mean regular middle class people would actually pay more taxes, while a) much like tea party members in the US many people most scared of the proposals are not even actually members of the "middle class" and b) taxes would have only gone up for people that are way ahead of the actual middle class.

And as far as the pedo-files :toot: goes, the actual involvement of Trittin was that he was named ViSdP (Verantworlicher im Sinne des Presserechts)in a single publication in the early 80s that contained the collected demands of the local green chapter. Our press laws mandate that a single person is named ViSdP, regardless of how many authors and opinions that publication includes. It's still a massively stupid thing to even have parts of your party to propose, but it's still a massive difference from how it's being framed as "Trittin advocated pedophilia" by their political enemies, especially considering that this was "uncovered" by the research into this complex that the greens commissioned themselves. You don't see the FDP lift a single finger to do something similar, no matter how many of their former JuLi's get found out to have espoused the same ideas at the same time, and no one in the CDU/CSU has ever felt sorry about how they were staunch proponents of raping their wife's without repercussions. (The rape laws contained the phrase "außerehelich" which meant that you could not be raped in marriage, and attempts to get the laws changed as late as the 80s were denied by the CDU/CSU because they argued it would lead to women just using it as an excuse to get abortions. We all know how these sluts first ask to be raped and then want their free bonus abortions.)

The whole laws around morality and sexuality were deeply hosed up for a long time, and there was a very justified movement to reform them (that ultimately led to many very significant and positive reforms) coming from the left, the greens included. A bunch of pedophilia advocates successfully managed to bandwagon onto the campaign, without ever getting any of their points executed in reality. Commissioning an external investigation into the extents of this subversion is a good way to deal with it, using it to create half truths to smear your political enemy isn't.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

botany posted:

No, I don't have that wrong. The communist parties (KPD and off-shoots), along with newspapers and so forth were banned after the Reichstag Fire Decree, with the official reason that they were dangerous to society. The SPD wasn't. They were of course subsequently banned after the Enabling Act went through, but so was literally every party that wasn't the NSDAP. It is true however that they were the only party to vote against the Enabling Act.

No, you do have that wrong. The Nazi's very much on purpose did not ban any party at that point, neither the SPD nor the communists. Instead it suspended all civil rights and a large scale campaign to imprison and terrorize started, and targeting the communist party members was one of the main goals, as was targeting any other vocal critics. I have letters between from my grandfather that detail the interrogations he had because he was acquainted with the local SPD candidate who was imprisoned for several weeks following the Reichstagsbrand, because someone had denounced him as endorsing it.

The original text can be found here http://i.imgur.com/S3JVRSc.jpg

I realize that on the internet no social democrat can ever be a true leftist, and their history around WW1 has some black marks on it, but smearing them over the period of Hitler's ascendancy is pretty silly.

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 25, 2013

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Every political party, aside from Die Linke, in the Bundestag has welcomed the coup in Bolivia as a great step towards democracy and happily ignored any massacred indigenous protestors thereafter. So I'd rather take the "utopian" Linke foreign policy over any of the other parties.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Alaaf!

https://twitter.com/ebonyplusirony/status/1228312530940026880?s=19

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Randler posted:

PKV still the better choice if you are healthy and wealthy right now and do not plan on having family.

If you are an employee, your employer also has to pay a Zuschuss to your PKV fees up to the amount they would otherwise pay as the Arbeitgeberanteil to GKV fees.

Beihilfe is even more powerful.

Beihilfe means the state reimburses like 90% of healthcare costs. A Beamter only needs PKV to cover the remaining 10% in some way. As a result his risk profile and fees are significantly more lenient compared to Gutverdiener und Selbstständige who need to insure their entire health risks.

Bullshit. Here in RLP, Beihilfe covers 50% of the healthcare cost for Beamte, not 90%. There is a yearly deductible you have to hit before it covers anything, though, of a couple hundred €. This still means a healthy Beamter in a high enough Besoldungsstufe might pay less for their PKV than they would for a GKV - this can and will change if you have enough pre-existing conditions. If a Beamter/in choses to voluntarily switch to the GKV instead, they receive no Beihilfe at all, AND the state also does not cover the employer share of the GKV, so you'll be paying out of your rear end for switching to the GKV.

The Beihilfe also has their own rules about coverage, and might refuse to cover things your insurance does, meaning that you end up pay half of the cost out of your own pocket, if it's frivolous poo poo like "after-care after an eye operation for cataracts". Get ready to write a buncha letters to fix this!

When you enter Ruhestand, the Beihilfe here in RLP goes up to 75%, which helps bring down the PKV cost once more, as it obviously has been raising as you got older. Without the raise to 75%, the average Lehrer would pay far more out of their pension for the PKV than the regular GKV. With the raise to 75%, here in RLP, you still pay more for your PKV than you would pay for the GKV as a regular Rentner, unless you climbed the career ladder high enough to get a Ministerialbeamter style pension.

The Beihilfe system wasn't made to allow every little former teacher to live like a fat cat on their pension, it's been done to move money out of the GKV system and great care was spent to make sure it will work for those at the top end of the Beamtenspektrum

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Einbauschrank posted:

A little verbeamteter Gymnasiallehrer in RLP with a13/6 (average age of Lehrers in RLP=44 years) earns ~42k netto. Having 2 or more children would net him 70% Beihilfe but let‘s keep it simple and only have a look at a single without children.

42k netto makes him a member of the upper 10% as an Angestellter would have to earn 72,5k brutto to get the same netto. If we substract the PKV (200€ a month and let's say another 400€ a year, so 2,8k€/year) he still comes out at 39k€netto or 66,5k€ Angestelltenbrutto which is enough for the upper 15% while having the better Krankenversicherung.

Even when compared to people with Hochschulabschluss he is in the top 30% of his peer group while shirking the burden that other „starke Schultern“ are supposed to carry. So yeah, the little Lehrer is very much a fat cat.

The PKV is a great deal for anyone young and middle-age with a reasonably high income, whether they are a Beamter, self-employed or a high earning employee. Contrary to high earning employees, who can voluntarily stick to the GKV and still only pay up to the Bemessungsgrenze AND get half the GKV paid by their employer, self-employed AND Beamte will have to carry the full GKV though on their own, which makes it much more expensive and therefore means they are basically forced to go PKV.

When you get old, all three groups would potentially get equally hosed by the high PKV cost. The 75% Beihilfe helps bring the cost down to within reasonable distance of what a Rentner would pay. I, personally, think it's a good idea to pay your teachers well enough that their educational peer group doesn't laugh at them, but maybe we should try the "don't pay your teachers poo poo" model and see if that finally improves our educational system!

Re: Hanau

I love that in the first news alerts about Hanau, when nothing much was known yet, I read about "big black sports cars were seen circling the area" which I am pretty sure is code for organized crime and Dönermorde 2.0

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/coronavirus-covid-19-tote-1.4884154

Really interesting read. Seems like almost all of the dead people were obese(and had Folgeerkrankungen of obesity like high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems) or had lung/organ damage.

Could be a great political opportunity to crack down on the food industry and then invest more money into combating child obesity. Also, crank up tabacco taxes and move people over to vaping. It sucks so much that we are stuck with the CDU in power and none of this is ever going to happen :(

Also, corona doesn't seems very dangerous if you are healthy. So that's probably good news for hypochondriacs.

The data they are citing is from 85! autopsies, 20 in Switzerland and 65 in Germany. The ones in Germany are done by the same professor who likes to claim "ALL OF THEM HAVE VORERKRANKUNGEN AND, I HAVE TO SAY THIS, EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE ALWAYS PUT YOU IN *THAT* CORNER FOR YOUR ETHICS WHEN YOU SAY THINGS LIKE THIS, THEY WOULD HAVE DIED ANYWAY" in allcaps on Markus Lanz, and then his own report lists covid-19 as cause of death in 61 of 65 cases. Dude gives of highly creepy "let it cull the weak vibes" when on TV. Of course that doesn't stop him from going "by now we have done over 100 autopsies and none of them didn't have any Vorerkrankungen" now for this article, and when they finally release the new data it's probably gonna be like 95 of 100 with covid-19 as cause of death again. It's the Heinzenberg way of (not) publishing scientific studies and gaining lots of publicity for it.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/donmarcelios/status/1283738449170837504

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/DLFNachrichten/status/1291660255341019136?s=19

Well that lasted a long time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Instead of having the Kassiererin pay just significantly raise taxes for data scientists and the like and have them pay for it Bing bang done