Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have never been more pissed about this government than today, gottverdammich. I've been sitting at home for half a year now, only going to work once a week, didn't go home on Christmas, don't meet friends, slowly going crazy, and meanwhile our government is pulling a clown show that literally everybody is pissed off about.

Now we're going into a "hard lockdown" over Easter, for five loving days, closing all supermarkets on green Thursday which is not a holiday anywhere, so we'll have big rear end Corona parties in every supermarket all through next week. Then the virus has 5 days to incubate over the long weekend, so when people go back to their no homeoffice allowed work, no Homeschooling allowed schools, they're ready to spread it evetywhere.

Meanwhile there are no vaccines in sight, testing is a joke, and nobody is planning anything more than 2 weeks ahead. But hey, a few hundred complete loving assholes get to go to Mallorca, which my Mallorca ex girlfriend and her parents have not returned to for 6 months since they deemed it too dangerous. gently caress, I am so done with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

GABA ghoul posted:

Reminder that Merkel and the klebrige Banditen still lead the polls with 27%, ahead of the Greens. Lots of halbverweste boomers in this country looking at Spahn and thinking "gut is das sicher nicht, aber was willste de machen?"

What, you want to vote for a Verbotspartei??

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've not posted here before but let me say I appreciate the Mischung of German and English a lot, denglisch has always amused me.

But also, yeah, a friend of mine is concidering letting her mom pick her up by car to go to their house over Easter, which is technically forbidden, because at this point gently caress it. The rules make no sense, they have no hope to improve the situation at all, everybody is going completely crazy, so why not just do the sensible thing and keep your mental health up while staying cautious.

My gf and I are now going shopping to buy a 2 weeks stock of foodstuff that doesn't quickly perish. I expect next week to be complete pandemonion and I'd like to avoid the supermarkets completely. Luckily we're both tiny hobbit people and don't need a lot of food compared to the average family.

Hach ja, läuft.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

KonvexKonkav posted:

Also, why would you eat Kartoffelpuffer when the far superior Quarkkäulchen exists (unless you're lactose intolerant)?

I didn't even know those exist, thanks for tomorrows lunch.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

We used to go shopping two or three times a week because we are opportunistic cookers, but over the pandemic we got a hackenporsche and now only go once a week. It works out pretty good, though suddenly paying 100 euros for one trip was a shock to my student girlfriend. It last us 2 weeks though.

Appearantly going shopping so often is a very German thing, I heard that for example British or US people are very used to once a week but trips.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Perestroika posted:

A what now? :crossarms:

An Oma Trolley, these things that you pull behind you. They own, we can pack two Sixpack of large waters and a bunch of shopping inside ours.

E: also the best supermarket is kaufland, it's got everything and the hausmarke products are cheap.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lol, Merkel went back to her usual winning strategy of "doing nothing at all and hoping this blows over". Glad the Thursday bullshit is going at least.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

aphid_licker posted:

Kassierspeed, produce freshness, selection, general level of depression-inducingness of the ambiance

Aldi wins once again, it's depressing as Fick

My favorite supermarket around is the Russian supermarket named "Russia" that has whisky in skull bottles, frozen salmon guts, chess boards, a million extremely sweet candies that you have no idea what's inside, and a 2x1m fish tank with literally a dozen huge Störe. It's like a fever dream of what a Russian supermarket would look like, but it's real, it's great, and it's my comrade.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's also beer, but I'm assuming this has led to multiple page derails, open personal attacks between posters and dozens of permabans in the past

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Drone posted:

I see someone is hanging out in Deutschcord literally right now, where the topic has indeed devolved to beer. :tinfoil:

I haven't in fact, but it's alway a safe bet haha

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It takes literally 10 seconds to form a burger patty, you can just use a big jar lid or just form it with your hands. It's also a lot cheaper.

Premade burger patties, brought to you by the people who also buy pre-sliced bread.

E: I do like the little differences between Swiss and German words though, what the Swiss appearantly calls a "Balkony" is simply called a Fensterbrett here in good ol Alemania.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Wengy posted:

They’re ungewürzt and made of Bio-Hack, it’s literally the same thing I’d produce if I were to press flat some hack. I’m all for doing poo poo yourself in the kitchen but I don’t get this one. The bread comparison is nuts since pre-slicing bread actually negatively impacts the food’s quality.

Also no, a Fensterbrett is a Fenstersims here, a balcony is a Balkon.

I was not entirely serious :)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bens Fischhütte in Flensburg is worth a visit if you're ever there, but drat yeah I miss any kind of good Fischbrötchen. One of the only things I miss about the north.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I have a full grown fatalii plant, 3 smaller ones and a few seedlings ready for the summer. My big one is finally making new blossoms after I was fighting with aphids literally all winter. Ironically I developed a permanent stomach issue so I'll propably never be able to eat spicy food again, so there's no real point to make them anymore!

But in any case, growing chilis is a lot of fun, just get some high quality soil and some tomato fertilizer for when the plants are bigger.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah we're preparing a nice amount of herbs for our balcony this summer as well, we're also gonna plant Rucola and spinach and see how that goes :)

Thyme, rosemary, Schnittlauch and cilantro is what we're trying, it's gonna be fun to see if we can make it work. It's kinda funny how ambitious we are with a balcony that's like 2x2m in total.

oliwan posted:

I know a plant that specifically helps vs tummy aches op... but its not very easy to grow tbh

I think I know which plant you're talking about ;)

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 25, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

jaylynne posted:

I have failed at cilantro twice now. It starts out glorious and then turns to the lovely flowery seed poo poo and fills me with sadness. Anyone know the secret to this? Is it just “replant it when it starts tasting like rear end”?

Edit: we have a little Balkon now for the first time, so I don’t have to grown things on the Fensterbrett anymore!

We are horrible at keeping herbs alive but the only thing I know is to cut off any and all flowers if they appear. Seemed to be working, until it didn't.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Randler posted:

Any amount of Bargeld can be become an incriminating detail thanks to the wonders of of ~kriminalistische Erfahrung~.

Too much money? Clearly obtained from illegal activities or to be used as such.

No money? Clearly using obsfucated crypto on the darknet.

Too little money? Dealertypische Stückelung.

Handfull of copper coins, and a condom in the wallet? Diy Knüppel in the making, let's get this criminal Stück off the streets, aber zackig.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone please explain how these opening-strategies that are all "TESTEN STATT LOCKDOWN" are supposed to work.
I genuinely cannot wrap my head around it. Is the assumption that recognizing cases of infectees soon enough that they can be quarantined / self-quarantined / nachverfolgt / Contact-traced before infecting others and literally nothing else?

Do these people not understand that we now have a much more infectiuous variant rampaging through the country? Is it supposed to be scared by the amount of Schnelltests we're throwing at it?
I sincerely do not understand.

It works like this: people get tested once a week, then when they find that they are infected, propably after already spreading it for a few days, they stay home. Then when it turns out that the indizwert is way over a hundred already nothing else is done and the politicians point out that many infected are being found and call it a great success. Meanwhile we are reaching 50k infected a day.

I'm honestly impressed how quickly we bounced back to >20k infected, seems like only a week ago when we had a net reduction of cases per day. I'm also very, very happy that more Impfstoff is only "a few weeks away", as it's bee for the last few months.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

cant cook creole bream posted:

You haven't kept close attention then. The net cases where rising since the beginning of the month now.

No no, I did, I was trying to be sarcastic about how quickly we went back to exponential rise in only a few weeks. It was a slow decline and then just let er rip.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bill gates hates him!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Smirr posted:

Obliterating the signifier-signified relationship to own the Dreckswessis who can't stop saying "Berliner" :hehe:

If Berliner don't call them Berliner then why are many bakeries in Berlin calling them Berliner? Checkmate Urberlinailure

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Has it ever been discussed how schokokuss Brötchen is an essential part of every childhood and then never talked about ever again? The thought makes me retch nowadays but at the time, her damit.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Perestroika posted:

All this talk about weird/disgusting bread toppings and nobody brought up strawberry jam with cheese yet? For shame. :colbert:

Yes, because that's actually delicious and a thing! Jam and cheese is top tier, bekämpfe mich!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

We finally planted our balcony and had a lot of fresh air all day, it felt great, like waking up from being sick for a long time and suddenly you feel alive again. Hope the spring will come back soon, even if the next few weeks are gonna be colder.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I only found out about ssio a while ago and lmao, guy owns.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Windräder are cool, and good, and they're my friend. I'm a renewable energy engineer working at a wind planning and management company, AMA

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, serious question. Is it true that most Windkrafträder are only profitable while they are subsidised and as soon as that Förderung runs out it, many owners basically tear down their working Windkraftanlagen, only to have new ones built at the same spot to get that sweet sweet money from the Staat?

Jein, and kind off.

The stromgestehungskosten (lifetime kost of planning, building, maintaining the turbines) of wind energy has become quite low per kWh, around 4 to 5 cent with cutting edge turbines. They are now as cheap or cheaper than coal. The important thing is plannability, you need to know how much cent per kWh you get per turbine in order to see if its profitable. Wind energy is still dependent on subvention that sets a fix amount over a 20 year lifetime, but it's going to become possible to run them without subvention in just a few years. It's important to remember that the "they're only profitable because of subventionen!" claim can be applied to other energy forms as well, coal and nuclear both get heavily subventioniert, it's not unique to renewables. They did need and did receive huge subventions the last few decades, because otherwise they would never have come so far.

The second point is a bit of a misunderstanding, what you mean is repowering. When a turbine is older than 20 years the subvention runs out and they only get money from the normal market going forward. Old turbines are usually pretty out of date and don't produce a lot because they're small scale compared to modern turbines, and they often stand at very profitable locations which are rare nowadays. Adding increased maintenance costs on top of that they often don't continue being profitable, so bigger, mordern turbines are built instead. If you can replace your old turbine with 800 kWh capacity with a 5 MWh turbine you get a lot more money and they cost a lot less to run going forward. It's not like perfectly fine old turbines are teared down that could have worked for many more years, it's more like replacing an old refridgerator that is less effective.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Greatest Living Man posted:

What parts of old turbines can be reused? Is it mostly the generator that's out of date?

No idea tbh, I don't know much about the decommissioning. Tower, cabin, generator and blades are usually matching so I wouldn't really think a lot is reused in new constructions. The blades get extremely beat up over the years too, and the tower is constantly vibrating which degrades the structural integrity. All components are usually pretty stressed, you'd be suprised how often something needs to be fixed or replaced. I would guess a lot of the stuff can get recycled though, some towers are made from concrete and those can be repurposed, metals of course, electrical components. No idea who does that though!

Here's a little chart to show the size evolution since the first few, it's pretty obvious why you can't reuse old components over the years:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had no idea Windräder grow with increasing service-life, that's so cute :3:

After 20 years they grow too big to live on land and turn into offshore turbines, the yearly migration is quite a sight to behold!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If we're posting chili set ups here's mine

The big one is the mother, there's a few smaller childrens behind it. Unfortunately one didn't like the reporting and is wilting, but I hope it'll recover. The lights are 4 long led leisten that I basteled a holder four out of bamboo sticks and a microphone stand. It's all pretty cheap but it got my plants through the winter more or less intact.

Chili's are very fun to grow and not that much work in the end, can highly recommend. Eating your own chili sauce is an amazing feeling. (don't ever, ever cook it without gloves though, when I did it my hands burned for about 3 days. The chili's I use are fatalii which have up to 350000 scorvil.)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Those lamps pack quite a punch and I never like to slam non-fully-grown plants (in this case, chilis that have either been recently been trapped in shipping boxes four 2 days or ones that are "the runt of the litter" and struggling a bit) with exposure below 50cm under the lamp.
I like to keep the potential worst-case around "they'll not recover/grow as fast as they could" while ruling out any worse outcomes. ;)

I'm growing chilis, my goone, I'll do a lot of dumb poo poo to overbrück the dark Jahreszeiten to zieh an some Setzlinge, but I'm not quite at the point where I'll auskleid my entire apartment with Orca-Folie for max-reflectivity and minmax the height of the growing-lamps :)
It's capsicum chinensis/annuum, and not exactly the sweet mary jane.

Welcome to the Germany thread, where we're basically a Pflanzenbörse-Facebook-group that'll occasionally melt-down over generic food/shopping/housing-preferences and politics (everyone mostly agrees that Bavaria is bad).
Please feel free to keep sharing pictures of your plants, and if you don't mind, could you give us some details for that picture?

That bonzai-esque specimen in the center of the picture interests me specifically, did you overwinter that and clear all the lower foliage, or was that happenstance?

Thanks, seems like I'm right at home here :)

The bonsai looking one is indeed one that I overwintered and had to cut down just as it was producing a bucketload of new buds because of aphids. These little fuckers are the bane of my indoor gardening the last few months, I'm spraying down and hand squashing them pretty much daily. The sticky locking things on the sides are my avocados that lost all leaves because I don't really know. I wouldn't call myself a great botanist, but at least I''m stehts bemüht :) What lamps are you using? Mine are pretty cheap and for next winter I'd like something more competent.

Hopper posted:

Which finally brings us to the really important question:

How many chili growlamps can 1 Windrad power?

depending on the lamps and turbines between 1 and 1.000.000, hth :)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

GABA ghoul posted:

What's your opinion on the total collapse of Windkraftausbau since 2018? Do you think Grün-Schwarz/Ampel would be able to improve the situation from the Bundesebene?

Just like all the other issues the Energiewende has had, this is one hundred percent a political failing. The collapse happened because they introduced a "Ausschreibungs system" for giving out new building permits as well as limiting the max new capacity built per quarter. The planning company who offered the lowest kWh prices for their parks got the permit to build, which basically made everybody wary or not build new turbines at all since it got less and less profitable or you'd have to offer prices very close to net zero.

It is hard to overstate how often politics blutgrätschen into renewables, they killed the entire solar industry just as they were picking up fahrt by reducing the vergütung, which is why German companies are not playing at the top anymore. It's very often short sighted policies which result in negative outcomes which most people then blame on renewables, it's frustrating as hell .

I would prefer CDU CSU to not be involved with this at all, but the party with the biggest focus on renewables remains the grünen, so yes, I think they would be able to improve eit a lot.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

That's a Moritz hairstyle if I ever saw one. Or was it max?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tin Tim posted:

The first Schmuddelfilm I ever saw on TV (think in the stlye of like Schulmädchen-Report) had a guy say "Kleines ich mach dir den Rammler, dabei klatschen meine Eier schön an deine Muschi". For some reason I've never forgotten that sentence and sometimes dwell on its literary power and grace

Oh my God, I know that movie. German dirty talk is incredibly unsexy. I will die a happy man if never hear the word "fötzchen" again.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The new p1 mutant from Brazil is spreading, my friend who works in a hospital is saying that we are pretty hosed as it's looking to be quite impfresistent. Guess we're looking at Corona 2.0 - Brazilian Boogaloo.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I mean nothing super sure yet but my friend is usually not one to exaggerate that much. If he's worried I'm not feeling too great about it :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

OK that's reassuring. My friend made it sound like it's this horrible wave of killer virus that's going to infect us all soon. Sorry for being sensationalist, it just fits into the entire feel right now that something like this is waiting right the corner.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

BabyFur Denny posted:

Ok now do that with amthor

Whats he been up to anyway? After his scandal I haven't heard anything about him. Is he just hanging out in his dumb forrest now being a nerd rear end jäger?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

God damnit, if there's ever been a backpfeiffengesicht then it's this guys. I have a visceral reaction to seeing him, he is the antithesis of everything I stand for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Badly Jester posted:

Honestly, can you blame Merkel for not wanting to waste her time with all of the dipshit MPs yet again? What good has come of that in the past? Meanwhile, the Bund is working on a revision of the Infektionsschutzgesetz that gives it more power over the Länder.

My mental imagine of these meetings at this point is just 16 red-faced MP violently slamming their balls on the table, hooting like howler monkeys, while Merkel has her head hurried in her hands.

Honestly, that might actually be more helpful than what has happened so far.