Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

its blowin my mind that caesar is the police chief from the wire

'you, joshua, are an rear end in a top hat. We both know this'

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He actually never was the chief of police. head of homicide, head of CID, deputy chief of operations, head of the msp. Never chief od police though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He actually just showed up on set and started investigating crimes and they rolled with it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
He just REALLY hated Dominic West the first time he saw him.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Pour out a 200 year old beer for Father Elijah

https://twitter.com/MeTV/status/1265375151408939009

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Caesar grew up under the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor and they taught him some good ideas about Imperialist rule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwEowTWn7g

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fallout is about shooting people in slow motion.

whoa whoa

fallout is about punching people in the crotch

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

JawKnee posted:

whoa whoa

fallout is about punching overcharged cattleprod-ing people in the crotch

:colbert:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

whoa whoa

fallout is about super stim packing people to death............ in the crotch

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Whoa, George's Yankees boss was Father Elijah... never knew that.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Lonesome Road sucks! Dead Money has questionable game play choices, Honest Heart's quest are barely there and Old World Blues is chock full of damage sponges but at they all have interesting characters to interact with. Ulysses is just a pretentious tool (and I can't tell if that is deliberate or not) who's dialogue sounds like second rate imitation of Cormack McCarthy, every time he chimes is slog of purple prose. I have played this DLC four times and I still don't understand what exactly Ulysses's beef with the courier is. This franchise has always has been about choice which makes the call to have the entirety of Lonesome Rode be a long hallway mind boggling; this DLC points you at a finish line and tells you shoot everything that move until you cross that line its the Gears of War's school of game design. The only saving grace for this DLC is the loot which is excellent.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 28, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

side_burned posted:

Lonesome Road sucks! Dead Money has questionable game play choices, Honest Heart's quest are barely there and Old World Blues is chock full of damage sponges but at they all have interesting characters to interact with. Ulysses is just a pretentious tool (and I can't tell if that is deliberate or not) who's dialogue sounds like second rate imitation of Cormack McCarthy, every time he chimes is slog of purple prose. I have played this DLC four times and I still don't understand what exactly Ulysses's beef with the courier is. This franchise has always has been about choice which makes the call to have the entire DLC to be a long hallway mind boggling; Lonesome Rode points you at a finish line and tells you shoot everything that move until you cross that line its the Gears of War's school of game design. The only saving grace for this DLC is the loot which is excellent.

Ulysses isn't very good at letting go.

Basically, before the game starts, the Courier was a bit of a local legend and when he/she found a shortcut through The Divide, people started following and, over time, worked out that they could start a little town there.
Ulysses found this and, being massively depressed but self-absorbed enough that he couldn't figure out that the reason he was depressed was that Caesar kept making him do lovely things, saw the fact that the settlement wasn't aligned to either NCR or Legion and took this is a sign from above that this place was blessed.
When the Courier brought the detonator/whatever and annihilated the place, Ulysses saw his hippy commune dreams go up in mushroom clouds and placed the blame squarely on the Courier - because he believes that the Courier assumes that everything is cool as long as he/she doesn't die.
Ulysses just has you do a bunch of bad things on the route to him (notably setting off another nuke) as a way of letting him prove to you that it was all your fault.
He's a bit of a twat, really.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Courier: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.
Ulysses: You don't remember?!
The Courier: For you, the day Courier Six graced your Divide was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the upshot of all of it was Courier never blew the place up on purpose, he just happened to be carrying a box on his mailman route that turned out to be a bomb. Whoops.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really like that you can just repeatably tell Ulysses that the Divide really didn't mean anything to the player and that it was just another job with a result that no one could have known was going to happen. Plus honestly like how if you do the DLC in order you get this picture of Ulysses in your mind and then run into the broken obsessive husk of a man he actually is when you decide to finally check out that radio message he sent you a million years ago after you stumbled out of the doc's house in Goodsprings.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ulysses was just one of the many that went crazy after the world consumed by atomic fire and it"s aftermath and didn't felt too jarring.

Lonesome Road is pretty good test of your late game characters power and has some nice pre-war insights but yeah it won't be a strong and coherent narrative with a good payout in the end like Dead Money

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Ulysses :unsmith:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

I like Ulysses :unsmith:

I enjoyed my quality time with Ulysses looking over the blasted hellscape at the end and getting some cool stuff from him on my way back

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keith Atherton posted:

I enjoyed my quality time with Ulysses looking over the blasted hellscape at the end and getting some cool stuff from him on my way back

His voice actor did a good job, too. I could listen to him ramble on about anything, I think

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

As far as loots go, Lonesome Road has my favorite ones as I don't like the weird science-y stuff of Old World Blues. Honest Hearts has some cool/useful/MUH IMMERSION stuff which is why I switched it to the first DLC to play as it's scaling is massively immersion braking with Anti-Material Rifle and Power Fist Wearing random tribals. Dead Money has some sweet sweet crafting recipes involving the red mist so I try to stock Red Mist Residue for Mojave.

Lonesome Road gear is pretty much victory lap stuff at that point but Blood Nap is one of my Cowboy run staples.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"Mummy Mitt Romney" made me laugh even as a non-American.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

His voice actor did a good job, too. I could listen to him ramble on about anything, I think

He did the voice of the biological research station in OWB too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keith Atherton posted:

He did the voice of the biological research station in OWB too

holy poo poo :randpop: I had no idea

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Am I the only who gives Liberator to Raul? Is that a bit too on the nose?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lonesome road kinda sucks to play imo but i really like the dialogue segments and ed-e is the best

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

watho posted:

ed-e is the best

Nuking the Legion to save that little guy's life is a no brainier.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 28, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bonus

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I didn’t have much attachment to ED-E going in and that, along with LR being both the very last Oblivion Gamebryo piece of content and neck-and-neck with Honest Hearts in the “vision most limited by the engine” award contest, made it something of an anticlimax.

It didn’t help that the levels were brown and grey and so tightly packed that the level design verticality they were clearly playing with didn’t really pan out at all - the highway crawl should have been epic and haunting but Gamebryo just could not hack any sense of scale. Fallout 4 ended up doing the same thing better in an engine that actually allowed it. And by that time you were many many hours into inventory management likely being the most involved aspect of gameplay. Many fond memories of deciding what to drop so I could try out Red Glare.

I don’t even know what the point of the shoulder mounted mini gun was.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
CRACK VIKINGs is a great nickname for the Khans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I didn’t have much attachment to ED-E going in and that, along with LR being both the very last Oblivion Gamebryo piece of content and neck-and-neck with Honest Hearts in the “vision most limited by the engine” award contest, made it something of an anticlimax.

i'd say LR wins that handily. HH is sometimes pleasant to look at and manages to convey some of the tranquility of zion (i haven't been to zion, but the dlc park is genuinely calming at times). LR is just an ugly, hard to navigate mess. it's something i'd more expect from a modder rather than a team that should by then have been comfortable with the game tools. idk, maybe they were really short on time/resources, and/or realized too late their vision was too ambitious.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 28, 2020

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I love LR's layout and overall setting.

Generally all the DLC's are pretty different though, I don't know many people who love everything about all of them. I'm not crazy about OWB, myself, particularly on replays.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lonesome Road rules. Going into a cave, through a cave made out of buildings and ending up on a rooftop is awesome. Tilting the floor 5 degrees to make things actually bombed out is cool. Walking into Ulysses's Temple with Eyebots wizzing overhead and a warhead emerging from the ground is badass.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'd love Lonesome Road more if there was an option to tell Ulysses he's got the wrong person. When you meet him face-to-face, just interrupt him in the middle of his rant and say he's read the number upside-down and he's supposed to be looking for Courier 9 instead.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
All of my roommates cheering for me when I came home at the of Old World Blues was a fun moment

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

amigolupus posted:

I'd love Lonesome Road more if there was an option to tell Ulysses he's got the wrong person. When you meet him face-to-face, just interrupt him in the middle of his rant and say he's read the number upside-down and he's supposed to be looking for Courier 9 instead.

Such a shame that isn't a thing, really should have been an option with Wild Wasteland.

Simply to hear Ulysses just laugh, have a mid speech break down and just throw his hands up toss his stuff to you and walk off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Imagine a 1 int route for Ulysses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

imagine 4 intelligence points balancing on a cliff