Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ravenfood posted:

The gun skill making gun damage go up as it does is also really easy to abstract: sure some of your "aiming" is you, but some of it is your character. Instead of getting a headshot because the player can put crosshairs over a head well, the character converts it into a shot in the eye, or aims between some armored plates for a slightly more damaging shot. IDK, but its not totally insane.

This also ties in with how HP normally works as an abstraction of damage. An elite human enemy isn't necessarily tanking a dozen shotgun blasts to the face, the game is to some degree simulating that some of those shots were deflected by armor, missed due to enemy evasiveness, and whatever other defensive factors might be in play. A high HP pool allows all that to get averaged out so that you get the satisfaction of making steady progress, but thinking about it realistically, when they're one shot away from death they may only be lightly grazed or injured, but the next shot is "The One" that hits a critical spot. I'm reminded of a Jedi Knight or Jedi Outcast mod I saw back in the day that kind of simulated that; lightsabers were virtually always a one-hit kill, but characters basically had a pool of "luck" or evasion capability that let them dodge everything up to that one last hit.

For an alternative system, you can look at Morrowind and how deeply frustrating it was for a low level character to constantly whiff every swing because of how weapon skill worked. Or why most computer RPGs got the hell away from THAC0 as soon as they could simulate something more complex than dice rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lt. Danger posted:

unintuitively I think if you want to explore the spectrum between gun-fumbling incompetence and revolver-spinning ricochet genius then a First Person Shooter is not the way to do it

There are different levels of "immersion" which come with different sets of expectations. In Fallout 2 you tell your character to shoot the Wanamingo, the character misses, and you call the character an rear end in a top hat for having a low Small Guns score. In New Vegas, because it's first person, if you aim directly at the Lobotomite and miss because you have a low Guns score then it's the game that's an rear end in a top hat for making you miss, even though basically the same thing happened under the hood

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

2house2fly posted:

There are different levels of "immersion" which come with different sets of expectations. In Fallout 2 you tell your character to shoot the Wanamingo, the character misses, and you call the character an rear end in a top hat for having a low Small Guns score. In New Vegas, because it's first person, if you aim directly at the Lobotomite and miss because you have a low Guns score then it's the game that's an rear end in a top hat for making you miss, even though basically the same thing happened under the hood

Sorry. I'm so sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU8oxcgkkis

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

You think I posted on this forum because I value your companionship?

In the entire time that I have been playing New Vegas, I have never once managed to actually complete Lily's companion quest without using the console. It feels so drat finicky trying to trip the triggers.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Take her into a deathclaw, Cazador or Nightstalker den so she goes berserk in combat to get her anger dialogue and then just walk with her for a while.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or you could just shoot her yourself. Cut out the middle man.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

I MEAN, TURN OFF YOURE MONITOR, MIGTH EXPLAIN YOUR BAD POSTS, HOPE THIS HELPS?!

I never know what to do with Lilly. It seems really mean to make her take her meds and forget her grandkiddos but having her stay confused isn't a good outcome and having her go full-Leo isn't good for the Greater New Vegas Region, either?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I never know what to do with Lilly. It seems really mean to make her take her meds and forget her grandkiddos but having her stay confused isn't a good outcome and having her go full-Leo isn't good for the Greater New Vegas Region, either?

There are no good outcomes for Lily, unless you think living a long life is a good in and of itself, and the best way for her to do that is to take her meds and let go of her past. Which fits the themes of the game, since it's all about coming to terms with the past, letting it go, and looking to the future.

I usually have her do the half-doses, because having her completely forget her grandkids feels too cruel. Her whole situation is depressing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

You think I posted on this forum because I value your companionship?

The thing for me is that, even more than Raul, Lily just seems completely unconnected to the main plot of the game and it is always easy to basically just ignore her and leave her hanging around the Lucky 38 the whole time. She doesn't even affect the Jacobstown quests which seems very weird given how interwoven most of the companions are to their 'home' locations.

Also, a story about this thing popped up in my google feed on my phone earlier in the week and it looks pretty great. Has anyone else tried it out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

Also, a story about this thing popped up in my google feed on my phone earlier in the week and it looks pretty great. Has anyone else tried it out yet?

I haven't, but I am surprised at how good the screenshots look. I don't care for a lot of the existing texture mods for the game; they tend to lose the spirit of the originals. This looks great though, really does seem to look just like the originals but sharper. GANs have gotten a lot better in the last few years, I guess.