Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Node posted:

The Family quest in Fallout 3 made me throw up in my mouth. It's worst written, worst idea, worst presented quest Bethesda has ever done. WE'RE SO EMO WE NEED TO DRINK BLOOD EVEN THOUGH WE'RE NOT VAMPIRES.

I'll just kill eight thousand rats in someones basement a million times over and over again than experience that poo poo again.

actually, its good

cause you get the shishkebab which is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I enjoy FO3 and NV. They're very different games which I enjoy for different reasons.

Although one blemish I found on NV in my last aborted run was Run Goodsprings Run! This is an extremely minor thing but it has to be the laziest evil route in anything ever. Cobb doesn't even suggest it, you talk HIM into knocking over the town of people who just saved your life and who have been extremely hospitable to you.

Even as somebody who generally does contrarian and evil bullshit in RPGs, this was never even a thought that crossed my mind on my first run and trying it out in a second run just made me realize I was right the first time. I like trying to come up with RP situations and rationales for evil choices but I got nothing for why you would help the Powder Gangers here.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I completed Fallout 3 once and it was alright. I enjoyed Morrowind before then and was into KOTOR around that time too. Never played Oblivion. I really enjoyed KOTOR 2. New Vegas blew my mind. It's so cohesive in a way. A really good video game experience. NV and KOTOR 2 made me a fan of Obsidian. Played A:P but not really a fan of the whole modern day setting. I don't really do super duper bad guy runs. I'll save the town but not before I pickpocket the people I don't like or loot them blind. Fallout 4 was kind of an anomaly for me. On paper it doesn't have anything I normally enjoy out of video games but I played it all the way through and saw every faction ending (on one save). The character build I made was fun though. Super sneak near infinite crit hurler. But the plot wasn't interesting (eye roller) and cutting skills and dialogue options was something I didn't think was going to happen but did. I go back to NV and Pillars every once in a while. Disco Elysium is probably the most recent best game I've played in quite some time. I would like a legitimate isometric Fallout game but that would probably never ever happen. Closest is probably Wasteland and although I do like some of the new things inxile made in the game it just isn't as polished visually as I'd like it to be.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I loved 3 because I like exploration more than I like talking to people, and 3 has more to explore than New Vegas. Is there any way to get it running stably on Windows 10?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chamale posted:

I loved 3 because I like exploration more than I like talking to people, and 3 has more to explore than New Vegas. Is there any way to get it running stably on Windows 10?

Pretty good summation and I'm about on that wavelength too. Tale of Two Wastelands works well, though it uses NV's mechanics over 3's.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Chamale posted:

Yep. Install the game, run it and then quit back to the desktop. If the game doesn't run, install Games for Windows Live (you don't have to launch it) then download https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086 the Games for Windows Live remover.

After that, the game should run. If you want bugfixes, the unofficial patch has you covered: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19122/

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tale of Two Wastelands (TTW) is the best way to play FO3 in 2020, even if you never take the train to the Mojave. New Vegas mechanics make it less of a shock going back to it, and it's more stable and doesn't have bullshit W10 bugs.

There is a relatively new wabbajack (Auto install) list for TTW that's mainly just jsawyer and modern comforts. It's called One for my Courier and it's here.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's really weird and distracting how Marcus and Neil have regular voices while the rest of the super mutants sound like orcs. I'm not a fan of how Bethesda just made them generic orc raiders that you don't feel bad about shooting, so it's nice how NV handles them with nuance.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Chamale posted:

I realized that a big difference between Fallout 3 and NV is that in 3, every town immediately tells you what its deal is. In New Vegas, there are some locations that seem boring until you really dig around to see what's up.

Sloan had more character than almost any town in Fallout 3.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vichan posted:

Sloan had more character than almost any town in Fallout 3.

Snuffles has more character than almost any town in Fallout 3.

Come to think of it, Snuffles is one of the few quest related NPCs that doesn't ask you for anything. Snuffles is a real 1.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

We should all strive to be more like Snuffles.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

We should all strive to be more like Snuffles.

Snuffleskhanovite.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I should make an ending slide, does
"After the courier rid Quarry Junction of the Deathclaws Snuffles had decided to move on with her life.
She dug herself a nice lair and settled down with her new mate and they're expecting their first brood soon.
No molerat can ask for more."

Work?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think FO3 had a pretty major advantage in being one of the first open world action rpg in a non-fantasy setting that I can think of. Bethesda awkwardly sticking older crpg mechanics like inventory management, looting, crafting, ect. on top of a subpar open world shooter was a real one off at the time, which probably did a lot to cover up its weak writing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Rope Kid's Orion Moreno story during the stream inspired a mod, apparently: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70235

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Speaking of Sloan, I just noticed in my current game that I’m Idolized there... but I’ve never actually been there. :confused: Maybe it’s just from making it rain severed deathclaw parts in the vicinity?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

Speaking of Sloan, I just noticed in my current game that I’m Idolized there... but I’ve never actually been there. :confused: Maybe it’s just from making it rain severed deathclaw parts in the vicinity?

I think it's just your NCR reputation?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Skilled isn't upside/downside, it's upside/upside. I usually go into P:NV tweaks and cut the experience gain even more.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In Fallout 3, aside from Fawkes, all the companions have no personality and are just there to carry and shoot stuff and that's it. i can't even remember of they comment on location and quest outcomes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i think theres a lil bit of reactivity in the post game with Broken Steel but no, there's not really much to them besides their little framing story and i guess? them bailing on you if your karma disagrees with them

3 was also the first time bethesda ever really did companions too, as it wasnt a thing in any of the TES games at this point. Skyrims companions are similarly pretty bare bones with a bit more personality for some companions with only Serena being a real fully fleshed out companion, maybe mjoll the lionness and teldryn sero being close seconds

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do the companions say about House? Their opinions on NCR and Legion are pretty well known to me and I think everybody. But do any of them have special feelings one way or another to House? Will any of them leave if you side with House? I don't think so but I have no idea.

Ironically, there is no "House Companion" for all the talk the Legion needed one. I guess indifference is still better than universal hatred.

Also I'm still endlessly amused that I brought Veronica with me to wipe out the Brotherhood but killing the Brotherhood and blowing up their base only lowered my rep with them to like Merciful Thug or something. It wasn't low enough for Veronica to leave, whatever it was. Amazing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 29, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cass complains about House embodying the Old World Blues the first time you swap her into your party after sending her to Lucky 38.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raul will talk about how he saw lasers blasting nukes outta the sky from the lucky 38. Veronica will leave you if she's with you when you deal with the brotherhood, but she's fine if you dismiss her while you do it. I don't remember anybody else having any real opinions. I'm pretty sure arcade has dialogue for him though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NikkolasKing posted:

What do the companions say about House? Their opinions on NCR and Legion are pretty well known to me and I think everybody. But do any of them have special feelings one way or another to House? Will any of them leave if you side with House? I don't think so but I have no idea.

Ironically, there is no "House Companion" for all the talk the Legion needed one. I guess indifference is still better than universal hatred.

Also I'm still endlessly amused that I brought Veronica with me to wipe out the Brotherhood but killing the Brotherhood and blowing up their base only lowered my rep with them to like Merciful Thug or something. It wasn't low enough for Veronica to leave, whatever it was. Amazing.

None of them will leave if you side with House (or, for that matter, NCR or Yes Man). Veronica will leave if you murder the Brotherhood in her presence, but not if she doesn't witness it.

Arcade: "I have to say I don't understand where you're going with Mr. House. The man's been manipulating the locals for as long as anyone can remember."

Boone: "Wish he'd give it up, so the NCR could focus on securing the border."

Cass: "If someone promised me all the lights of Vegas, I'd consider it, too... but I wouldn't say yes until I saw what was behind the curtain."

Lily: "Leo doesn't like that you left that House man alive, dearie. He thinks you should have let us chop him."

Veronica: "What'd you think of Mr. House? I was surprised he only had the two robot sex slaves."

Raul remembers before the war, so he has a lot to say about House:

"Everybody knew Robert House. He was a genius. A superstar. Founded RobCo at 22, dated Hollywood starlets, the works. They say he saved Las Vegas. I was in Mexico City when the bombs dropped. Even from there, we could see House's defensive rockets shooting down the incoming missiles. Everybody assumed he died in the War. Maybe he did. But his robots are still out there, roaming the Wastes. And now, a Mr. House rules New Vegas."

"Maybe the new guy is just a clever raider chief with a knowledge of history. Maybe he just left instructions for his robots to carry out in his name. Or maybe Robert House uploaded his brain pattern into a computer and rules to this day, a godless, soulless machine-god! Or maybe the whole thing's a crazy coincidence. Who knows?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In a House Run do yu ever have to do anything overtly hostile to the NCR? I know House does not want to destroy them but he does want them out of his turf and that might entail some killing.

I've ben told Boone will become hostile if you attack NCR troops twice.

Chamale posted:

None of them will leave if you side with House (or, for that matter, NCR or Yes Man). Veronica will leave if you murder the Brotherhood in her presence, but not if she doesn't witness it.

Arcade: "I have to say I don't understand where you're going with Mr. House. The man's been manipulating the locals for as long as anyone can remember."

Boone: "Wish he'd give it up, so the NCR could focus on securing the border."

Cass: "If someone promised me all the lights of Vegas, I'd consider it, too... but I wouldn't say yes until I saw what was behind the curtain."

Lily: "Leo doesn't like that you left that House man alive, dearie. He thinks you should have let us chop him."

Veronica: "What'd you think of Mr. House? I was surprised he only had the two robot sex slaves."

Raul remembers before the war, so he has a lot to say about House:

"Everybody knew Robert House. He was a genius. A superstar. Founded RobCo at 22, dated Hollywood starlets, the works. They say he saved Las Vegas. I was in Mexico City when the bombs dropped. Even from there, we could see House's defensive rockets shooting down the incoming missiles. Everybody assumed he died in the War. Maybe he did. But his robots are still out there, roaming the Wastes. And now, a Mr. House rules New Vegas."

"Maybe the new guy is just a clever raider chief with a knowledge of history. Maybe he just left instructions for his robots to carry out in his name. Or maybe Robert House uploaded his brain pattern into a computer and rules to this day, a godless, soulless machine-god! Or maybe the whole thing's a crazy coincidence. Who knows?"

Interesting, thank you very much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

NikkolasKing posted:

In a House Run do yu ever have to do anything overtly hostile to the NCR? I know House does not want to destroy them but he does want them out of his turf and that might entail some killing.

I've ben told Boone will become hostile if you attack NCR troops twice.

Interesting, thank you very much.

During one of the later quests for House you have to activate an override at the El Dorado substation, which is controlled by NCR troops who'll shoot at you if you walk in regardless of reputation. You also suffer a hit to NCR rep when you activate the override, even if you manage to sneak past the guards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NikkolasKing posted:

No, with House or Yes Man you can string along the NCR until the battle for Hoover Dam is won, and then inform them that your robots will be taking over. When the Ambassador asks "Have the Boomers agreed to help us?", one of the dialogue options is "The Boomers have agreed to help me", which always makes me chuckle.

There is the substation override, but you can Stealth Boy in and out to avoid killing anyone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you get to Hated by the BoS (which IIRC is automatic when you genocide them unless you were all the way to Idolized before) doesn’t Veronica tell you to gently caress off and leave the next time she sees you, regardless of whether she was there at the time?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well in my first run, I got to Idolized by them, did the whole BOS quest and whatnot. And Veronica was def my companion as we slaughtered our way out of the bunker after activating the self-destruct device.

I just figured the fact I didn't become Vilified and have her leave was a glitch, like how if you have Cass in your party when the NCR becomes hostile she will stay with you even though she's supposed to refuse to work with you at that point. It's how you can keep her around even on a Legion run.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The algorithm showed me Veronica content I've never seen before just today actually.

https://youtu.be/YKF-iaxEyA4

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well in my first run, I got to Idolized by them, did the whole BOS quest and whatnot. And Veronica was def my companion as we slaughtered our way out of the bunker after activating the self-destruct device.

I just figured the fact I didn't become Vilified and have her leave was a glitch, like how if you have Cass in your party when the NCR becomes hostile she will stay with you even though she's supposed to refuse to work with you at that point. It's how you can keep her around even on a Legion run.

If you are idolised with a faction and do the maximum horrendous crime and get a huge negative rep you'll just hit Wild Child which is still neutral. Final reputation score with a faction is Positive rank minus negative rank (-3 to +3) and wild child is the same as no rep at all. It actually breaks a few things, not functionally but from a lore perspective. You can nuke the ncr and legion, blow up the brotherhood, slaughter the powder gangers in goodsprings etc and if you're at wild child you will stay neutral with the faction

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

If you are idolised with a faction and do the maximum horrendous crime and get a huge negative rep you'll just hit Wild Child which is still neutral. Final reputation score with a faction is Positive rank minus negative rank (-3 to +3) and wild child is the same as no rep at all. It actually breaks a few things, not functionally but from a lore perspective. You can nuke the ncr and legion, blow up the brotherhood, slaughter the powder gangers in goodsprings etc and if you're at wild child you will stay neutral with the faction

And as long as you walk into the Lucky 38 after doing those things, they will love you for nuking them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ropekid streamed some more new vegas, threw a grenade up hill and accidentally killed ED-E lol.

aniviron posted:

And as long as you walk into the Lucky 38 after doing those things, they will love you for nuking them.

I've done the whole 'nuke both factions before getting the resets' thing and yet I've never actually gone and done a full exploration and loot of the nuked zones. I think that and the Sarsparilla star cap quest chain are the only things I've never actually completed fully.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ive put 3 digit if not more hours each into 3, FNV, 4, and still not done every little thing or 100% achievement thing and i think you can only do that if you purposefully go out to do them

think POE2 is the only game ive 100% when it comes to achievements but those are mostly "do things youd do in a game" and not like "drink 15000 nuka colas" or whatever weird side things

still never done a legion playthough. cant stomach it

edit: speaking of its weird the first companion you get on the Intended Path (yeah you can sequence break but still) is boone who hates legion and makes them all attack you, think back in 2009 i was barely aware you could side with legion in my first playthrough

cass probably should have been recruitable at first meet shes a bit more politically ambivalent (though still anti-legion) and one of the most reactive companions in the game to locations and events

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 29, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Berke Negri posted:

still never done a legion playthough. cant stomach it

The one time I did a Legion playthrough, I roleplayed as an undercover frumentarius who had to go make contact with the Legion without any proof of who I was. I can't imagine a character meeting the Legion for the first time and deciding to join them - even a purely selfish man would rather work for Mr. House or take over New Vegas himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Six full playthroughs on ps3 and another 2 on PC and thirty minutes ago was the first time I've ever been to nelson. For whatever reason I've just always ignored that whole square of the map.

Also for the guy talking about sawyer killing ed-e on stream that's why I always have companions essential on. I play with an extremely difficult rule set. Survival, needs gain set at double for eating and drinking, no sleeping for more than an hour in non player housing, no saving, skill point gain set at 1/3, no fast travel except between major settlements, weight limit set at half normal, no putting more than seven points in any skill per level. Even with that I get too frustrated watching rex and ed-e run into my grenades to not just say gently caress it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

The one time I did a Legion playthrough, I roleplayed as an undercover frumentarius who had to go make contact with the Legion without any proof of who I was. I can't imagine a character meeting the Legion for the first time and deciding to join them - even a purely selfish man would rather work for Mr. House or take over New Vegas himself.

Ulysses has some dialogue saying that couriers serve as undercover frumentarii. It could've been an interesting take if caeser didn't give you his get outta jail card cause you walked into the 38 but because you've always been a double agent.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i like a lot of hardcore but hard death on companions just ends up annoying because you cant control them at all so it just ends up you doing a lot of save scumming unless you're some iron run diehard that doesn't care entire swaths of content disappearing because an npc charged a cazador with a power fist and no armor so yeah thats always a mod to make them essential again

Chamale posted:

the most believable ending is probably the one we never got

beelining for the mojave outpost and walking straight back to california

like if you survived someone shooting you in the head would you give a poo poo? you definitely can make more than 250 caps just selling crap to people on your way there

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 29, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chamale posted:

I once asked a few people for RP ideas about joining the Legion and one that has always stuck with me is you hate the NCR for backstory reasons. As was just discussed, none of the other routes put you into real conflict with the NCR, let alone have a commitment to destroy the whole place.

If your Courier hates the NCR for whatever reason, the Legion are the only people who can really take it to them and do real damage, even if they would probably ultimately lose.

Relevantly, I've seen people who like the NCR going House or Yes Man because it's better for the NCR in the long run to have their expansionist ambitions crushed so they have to go back and improve what they've got, lest they just keep growing until they collapse.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i think theres too many other options in FNV for legion to come off as a plausible alternative

theyre just too evil, too monstrous

if you wanted to go with the flow theres house

only good options are NCR (if you do absolutely everything to make NCR better instead of what they ask you) or yes man (less optimal but vegas independent)

legion is just like, well, everyone gets really hosed by weirdos