Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

What was her problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1518271175033442305
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1518271178221137921

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I always really noticed that with the lever-action shotgun, for whatever reason.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

When I first played Fallout New Vegas, I was losing it at the over the top death animations. They're really well done imo, somehow made satire of gore itself

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think I preferred the more realistic ragdoll collapse in Fallout 3. I could tell there was something different about New Vegas guns, but I could never put my finger on it until now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The goofy physics are great considering the cowboy theme. The first Red Dead Redemption had NPCs react just like extras in a John Wayne movie when they got shot which, for me, was perfect.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

The goofy physics are great considering the cowboy theme. The first Red Dead Redemption had NPCs react just like extras in a John Wayne movie when they got shot which, for me, was perfect.

Yeah this is right about where I'm at, the physics really added to the world in my opinion. No shame on preferring the ragdoll, but over-the-top bullshit just really seemed to fit with a post-apocalyptic Vegas atmosphere

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always liked the way Max Payne 2 pulled off a similar effect by defining objects of various sizes to impact the enemy with. Killing blow? Your bullet hits him with the force of a bowling ball, followed by golfballs for each subsequent bullet to keep the guy ragdolling during the surely extremely goofy killcam.

edit: Max Payne 2 is also of the Django Unchained Spring Shoes type of world physics, they definitely did not set a goal of maintaining realism at all

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 25, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's a pretty clear indicator for the player that they got a kill.
Payday 2 has head shots fling the head of enemies up like a rockem sockem robot real quick so the helmets pop off.

There's slomo and stills that show how far the neck slings up to get this effect.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

only just now got into NV thanks to the Viva New Vegas modding guide, despite being a FO1/2 fan from the olden days and disliking FO3- it was always too crashy before, and the last time I went in for mods they made the game too reliant on the player's combat skill of which I have p much none

startled a powder-ganger who was down in a roadside gully, past a short rock formation drop-off- dude hucks a stick of dynamite at me so I sprint right at him, jump over the ledge, and slo-mo VATS him in the face midair with my humble 9mm pistol

coolest video game moment in a while

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MariusLecter posted:

It's a pretty clear indicator for the player that they got a kill.
Payday 2 has head shots fling the head of enemies up like a rockem sockem robot real quick so the helmets pop off.

There's slomo and stills that show how far the neck slings up to get this effect.

A relatively mild example:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should put Hokuto Shinken martial arts in New Vegas 2.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should put Hokuto Shinken martial arts in New Vegas 2.

Isn't that just taking bloody mess?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bic050TP1nc

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I...I don't think I've ever had that much fun in this game, and I've had a lot of fun.

Reinstalling.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

oh jay posted:

I...I don't think I've ever had that much fun in this game, and I've had a lot of fun.

Reinstalling.

You can get this same kind of thing going with Signature Weapon mod and maxing out attack speed with any unarmed weapon. So go ahead and do that with Greased Lightning now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That looks like the Slayer perk and Rushing Water chem. I love the way late-game perks give you the ability to absolutely crush Deathclaws.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Omae wa mou shindeiru

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

What In The Goddamn...?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he has a surname?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I don't think so. The Chairmen were going to be called the Geckos or something before it became "The Chairmen", so people headcanon that being his surname. Another common choice is Siegel, based on the surname of Benjamin Siegel, one of the early hotshots in Las Vegas history.

Personally, I prefer Benny Bing. :shrug:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ms. Benandler Bong

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Benny Benis

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

benny s. grant

no, no relation to the other sort-of antagonist in most people's playthroughs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

benny s. grant

no, no relation to the other sort-of antagonist in most people's playthroughs

Benny-May Crawford?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

MariusLecter posted:

You can get this same kind of thing going with Signature Weapon mod and maxing out attack speed with any unarmed weapon. So go ahead and do that with Greased Lightning now.

I feel like this might crash some people's games. Even with performance mods. Lol.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/7VOqyvy.mp4

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The wiki is confusing with the whole split and merge thing.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

https://www.polygon.com/23164819/obsidian-entertainment-pentiment-game-rpg-josh-sawyer-xbox-pc

New Obsidian game alert!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Josh gets to strike both "historical RPG" and "Disco-like" off his to-make list.

Nice.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Fallout New Vegas is my favorite game of all time but I haven't touched the DLC....

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yaws posted:

Fallout New Vegas is my favorite game of all time but I haven't touched the DLC....

You should, it's pretty decent.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
look it already dropped
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1071130/The_Procession_to_Calvary/

sorry rope kid I don't make the rules

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Does rope kid still post here?

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

look it already dropped
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1071130/The_Procession_to_Calvary/

sorry rope kid I don't make the rules

Lmao!

Also thanks for reminding me this game is out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

That's weird, the DLC are awesome. Except for lonesome road

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Megazver posted:

So Josh gets to strike both "historical RPG" and "Disco-like" off his to-make list.

Nice.

Fewer flashing dance floors than I was expecting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

Does rope kid still post here?

I mostly see him in the Pillars of Eternity thread, but yeah.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clever Moniker posted:

Lmao!

Also thanks for reminding me this game is out.
It's also free on Game Pass (or was as of a few months ago) - I actually quite enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

steinrokkan posted:

That's weird, the DLC are awesome. Except for lonesome road
But it does have the Roughin' It! bedroll which is one of my favorite items in the whole game.