Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkNcgDQG8w

Arizona Killer has to be the best mission in the whole game. So much fun poo poo to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkNcgDQG8w

Arizona Killer has to be the best mission in the whole game. So much fun poo poo to do.

Protecting him was always a big pain in the rear end dealing with timing and bugs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AZ Killer falls under the same umbrella as the Oblivion mission where you're locked in the house and have to kill everyone. Cool concept with godawful coding problems, see also Beyond the Beef.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love stealing the flamer in Beyond the Beef. Going outside your comfort zone and picking up whatever weapon is available is always a fun time.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
All of the DLCs have different strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the base game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd assume that you'd make a Fallout game somewhere in the vicinity of Nevada, but not in the Mojave itself. I don't really know where. Utah is kinda barren and doesn't have that much fertile ground for references. Idaho is even worse. New Mexico could get really weird. Texas is probably too far away. Colorado's been done. I guess maybe Oregon?
From a ways back, but Fallout 2 did Oregon. They could always go North to Washington. We have nuclear plants and subs here.

Unselfishly, I wouldn't mind seeing California again. Aside from what little of it's in New Vegas, we haven't seen it since Fallout 2 one year shy of a quarter-century ago. :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can I introduce you to Fallout New California: Jocks vs Nerds who get all the cumdumps?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Arc Hammer posted:

Can I introduce you to Fallout New California: Jocks vs Nerds who get all the cumdumps?

Or The Frontier, with smelly feet and snake sex

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ApeHawk posted:

Or The Frontier, with smelly feet and snake sex

It still hurts. The game nailed having a big worldspace you wander around in and get sucked into local troubles or events. It could've been an interesting fusion of narrative gameplay and exploration that neither New Vegas or 3 really managed.

But then what it populated that world with...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I heard all the content in the Frontier was just boring endless dungeons with way too many enemies, so there's just altogether nothing lost by not playing it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are some legitimate technical marvels in the mod like Xilandro's dunebuggy but they're better off as individual mods.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

From a ways back, but Fallout 2 did Oregon. They could always go North to Washington. We have nuclear plants and subs here.

Unselfishly, I wouldn't mind seeing California again. Aside from what little of it's in New Vegas, we haven't seen it since Fallout 2 one year shy of a quarter-century ago. :psyduck:

California is basically calm at this point though. The NCR is mostly concerned with making itself sustainable.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Disco elysium fallout that takes place in the core region and is entirely about the ennui and mundane crises of liberal capitalism instead of monsters

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

OldMemes posted:

California is basically calm at this point though. The NCR is mostly concerned with making itself sustainable.

It's calm in comparison to, say, Mad Max, but it would still be Red Dead Redemption or Far Cry or Skyrim levels of lawlessness and violence.

Personally, I actually like the theme of post-post-apocalyptic society rebuilding, so I'd like a game where we get NCR as a seamless open world.

Here's my pitch for Fallout: Agent of NCR.

You're playing as an Agent, which would be your standard Bioware protagonist role of a badass promoted into a special position of authority. Things aren't great in NCR: the parties are in a deadlock, the President is unpopular and impotent, the generals running the several armies on the different edges of NCR territories hate each other and are considering doing a Vespasian, a state or two is murmuring about secession, there is a threat of a raider horde rolling in from the south, etc. Then someone sneaks a small nuke into the NCR Capitol when everyone is there, and you're one of the few people who has the skills and the reputation to attempt to pick up the pieces, figure out how everyone can be convinced to get back together and prevent a war over what's left of NCR from happening.

Alternately, I wouldn't mind playing an entirely city-based RPG about a detective or a gangster in The Hub or something. Atom: Trudograd just made it to Humble Choice and that's a Fallout-y RPG set entirely in a single city that's pretty good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldMemes posted:

It's fiction. They can write whatever they want.

Like, if it were me, the idea that the NCR is just doing an America's rise and collapse speedrun — an idea already introduced as part of New Vegas' For The Love Of God, Please Let The Past Just Die Already theme — would play into things, but wherever you took it would have to depend on what the game is ultimately trying to be about.

Edit: That's really what gets me about New Vegas. It's about something more than just about any other modern Fallout game really gets a chance to be, and that's likely why it withstands the test of time in ways many of them don't or won't.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 6, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

If we go back to California give us an NCR in the verge of complete collapse. The player stumbles in and gets tangled with the factions and interests jostling for control. Do you side with the establishment and preserve the at best mediocre but still somewhat effective status quo, the coalition of militarists and brahmin barons planning on doing a fascism, help communities go their own way and invent reel-to-reel Twitter, or just let it burn and shoot people to death with your guns etc etc

I guess that's a pretty Disco Elysium set-up but like that worked for a reason

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Megazver posted:

Things aren't great in NCR: the parties are in a deadlock, the President is unpopular and impotent, the generals running the several armies on the different edges of NCR territories hate each other and are considering doing a Vespasian, a state or two is murmuring about secession, there is a threat of a raider horde rolling in from the south, etc.

Sounds cool but I'd prefer something set in the future.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

If we go back to California give us an NCR in the verge of complete collapse. The player stumbles in and gets tangled with the factions and interests jostling for control. Do you side with the establishment and preserve the at best mediocre but still somewhat effective status quo, the coalition of militarists and brahmin barons planning on doing a fascism, help communities go their own way and invent reel-to-reel Twitter, or just let it burn and shoot people to death with your guns etc etc
Sold.

Instead of factions vying for an area or a resource as they were in New Vegas, it's deciding which faction within a government gets to decide what that government is going to be.

Topical, but timeless, which is a great place for Fallout to live.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I appreciate the way New Vegas has few characters who are intractably hostile. You can play the whole game as a diplomat and solve problems peacefully, outside of the final battle. Too many games are meant to have a human and relatable protagonist but involve gunning down dozens of nameless jerks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

OldMemes posted:

All of the DLCs have different strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the base game.

actually they are all exactly the same at all times

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Some DLCs do increased damage while doubling DT, some do lower damage while halving DT.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some DLCs spawn three giant green geckos and a pair of giant cazadores that beeline for you at 800mph the minute you exit an interior cell. Other DLCs spawn ROBOSCORPIONS and nightstalkers six meters behind you every four minutes.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

New Vegas 2 with dual protagonists Fisto and Prim Slim

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arc Hammer posted:

Some DLCs spawn three giant green geckos and a pair of giant cazadores that beeline for you at 800mph the minute you exit an interior cell. Other DLCs spawn ROBOSCORPIONS and nightstalkers six meters behind you every four minutes.

Anxiety simulator

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Animal Friend posted:

New Vegas 2 with dual protagonists Fisto and Prim Slim

They team up with Muggy and the rest of the Sink to stop The Toaster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FG3jvNr4I

New Vegas preparing to ambush you with a Centurion hit squad the instant you leave the DLCs having gained 8 levels since you left

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Fallout New Vegas II: The Erotic Adventures of Hard Pete

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Turns out that Pete's last name is actually Johnson. He had a loving long dick. Hence the name Long Dick Johnson.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuLkyyiS188

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HV6ruNrvk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Timeout to note that this is the image of House on the Fallout wiki today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT0pWu_R4rE

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'd really like to see the locations of New Vegas, but in real life its both a. too far and b. incredibly warm.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I'd really like to see the locations of New Vegas, but in real life its both a. too far and b. incredibly warm.

It's a dry heat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The real Lake Mead now has a lower water level than the New Vegas one.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

OldMemes posted:

My wife thought it was hilarious how stoked I was to see Project Purity on our trip to DC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went through the full Goodsprings to Vegas route in 2018 a few days before the game would have taken place in October and it's actually mild temperatures other than the sun, going down to cold at night. Obsidian did an extremely good job depicting the region and Goodsprings in real life rakes in lots of tourism dollars from them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldMemes posted:

I was in Vegas Memorial Day weekend for 6 nights for wrestling; but it's crazy when you overlay a map of the area with the game map and how it fits pretty well; my friends went up to Red Rock; though I drove the long 15 up to Zion (which couldn't get into the park proper since too many goddamn people, go to Bryce instead imo)

Also if you are in Vegas my advice; go to this bar called ReBar in the Art District since it's a good lefty bar, the Rio is nice to stay at, and if playing the slots go with Quickshot brand since they have a 95% chance of return

But yeah it was pretty hot in Vegas, but at least it's a dry heat; also got to take the McCarren Metro

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Zion is worth the trip, but yeah, find some off-peak times to go. It's a circus otherwise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

I went through the full Goodsprings to Vegas route in 2018 a few days before the game would have taken place in October and it's actually mild temperatures other than the sun, going down to cold at night. Obsidian did an extremely good job depicting the region and Goodsprings in real life rakes in lots of tourism dollars from them.

Did you tell anybody in Goodsprings that patrolling the Mojave made you wish for a nuclear winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Twobirds posted:

Zion is worth the trip, but yeah, find some off-peak times to go. It's a circus otherwise.

Yeah, I love Zion but I'd never be try to go on a holiday weekend. Find a weekday in the spring or fall, that's the best time to visit.