Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Did they really change the mechanics for gambling so that you can't just max out luck and always win?

I seriously can't believe Obsidian expected people to actually try and do this if they had anything less than like 10 luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Rinkles posted:

STEP RIGHT UP, GET YOUR FREE FALLOUT (1997) RIGHT HERE! (gog.com)

Quoted for new page. It'a FREE. You need this game.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Captain Walker posted:

Quoted for new page. It'a FREE. You need this game.

Grabbed it. How do I play this right?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Furism posted:

What do you mean? Install instructions, or character build?

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Stanos posted:

Yeah but they wouldn't buy the junk I looted and ammo I never used. They just told me to go bang some rocks together. :saddowns:

Protector Casdin was a magical frag grenade vending machine.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Captain Walker posted:

What do you mean? Install instructions, or character build?

"How do I enjoy this game?" e.g. builds, etc.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Ultimate Guide to Fallout.

tl;dr--Speech and Lockpick, plus a weapon skill you like. Be nice, do many quests, always investigate the situation before drawing your gun, take everything that isn't nailed down.

e: oh, and Charisma is useless even though Speech isn't. Dump it and put the points in Intelligence.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Captain Walker posted:

Ultimate Guide to Fallout.

tl;dr--Speech and Lockpick, plus a weapon skill you like. Be nice, do many quests, always investigate the situation before drawing your gun, take everything that isn't nailed down.

e: oh, and Charisma is useless even though Speech isn't. Dump it and put the points in Intelligence.

Or just go by your gut instinct and enjoy yourself. It's quite hard to outright gently caress yourself over. For a first run you should probably indeed get a combat skill, but you'd manage without one if you wanted to.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I played through once with a 1 in each stat. I reloaded often. Very often. Nearly constantly. But it can be done.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I just can't get into the old Fallouts. Maybe it's the uninspiring audio, maybe it's the isometric approach, maybe it's that the entire game is just kind of ugly, but the whole package just inspires total apathy towards everything and everyone in the Wasteland.

Oh also the core gameplay is worse than Planescape: Torment so there's that. But at least Torment had characters I could care about!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

STEP RIGHT UP, GET YOUR FREE FALLOUT (1997) RIGHT HERE! (gog.com)
Is the GOG page being stupidly slow and the download crashing the browser of anyone else?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vincent posted:

Is the GOG page being stupidly slow and the download crashing the browser of anyone else?

After sporadically trying to download the setup file every half hour or so for three hours, I finally got it to work. The servers will probably ease up soon enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vincent posted:

I was able to register and add the game to my account, but clicking the "open my account" to download button just leaves the page trying to load forever. I imagine GOG is getting absolutely hammered though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Grabbed it even though I have already downloaded it from steam :geno:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Grabbed it even though I have already downloaded it from steam :geno:

Me too... I now own it on GoG, Steam, and have purchased over 12 physical copies of the fallout 1/2 pack over the years. I used to hand them out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Furism posted:

You punch everything in the loving face GROIN and laugh at the damage messages.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I started, found a desert with nothing in it, displaced a rock and found an adventurer that didn't exist, and then got killed by radscorpions.

Fuckin' Fallout.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Me too... I now own it on GoG, Steam, and have purchased over 12 physical copies of the fallout 1/2 pack over the years. I used to hand them out.

This gentleman here deserves a toast! Bravo, I raise my hat to you, sir. :wotwot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

I started, found a desert with nothing in it, displaced a rock and found an adventurer that didn't exist, and then got killed by radscorpions.

Fuckin' Fallout.

First time I ever tried to play Fallout 1 I made it all the way out of the vault and then as I tried to travel to the first town I was ambushed and murdered by radscorpions. I haven't touched it since.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
At the start, most random encounters are an exercise in running the gently caress away. "Jesus how far is the edge of the map fuckingscorpionisrightontopofme!"

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Naky posted:

Finally gonna finish that mod you started like two years ago and were too lazy to place the markers to?

..maybe

There's also no way to really lose FO1 or FO2, like with most games of that era though, when you just start out you will keep getting hosed over until you understand how the game works. I'd advise picking whatever stats or skills you want your char to have, as it will reflect some gameplay decisions you can make (less so in FO1, more of that in FO2) also as somebody said already, run away from random encounters, at least in the beginning, there's no penalty to it and often it's the only way.

Also don't approach the game with modern ideas about what companions are, the ones in the game won't live for long and trying to keep them alive will be nothing but a frustrating exercise in futility.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Police Automaton posted:

..maybe

There's also no way to really lose FO1 or FO2, like with most games of that era though, when you just start out you will keep getting hosed over until you understand how the game works. I'd advise picking whatever stats or skills you want your char to have, as it will reflect some gameplay decisions you can make (less so in FO1, more of that in FO2) also as somebody said already, run away from random encounters, at least in the beginning, there's no penalty to it and often it's the only way.

Also don't approach the game with modern ideas about what companions are, the ones in the game won't live for long and trying to keep them alive will be nothing but a frustrating exercise in futility.

I'm confused by all of this. FO1 had a bunch of timelimits that made you lose if you took too long (in at least 2 ways), and the companions in both games were more than capable of staying alive and are crazy good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm confused by all of this. FO1 had a bunch of timelimits that made you lose if you took too long (in at least 2 ways), and the companions in both games were more than capable of staying alive and are crazy good.

This guy has never given Sulik an SMG...

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

I should've been clearer. You can't really "lose" by making a char so badly skilled that he's unable to survive. You can lose the game, you also can always get killed. If you follow the story somewhat though, it's pretty difficult to gently caress up at least the first time limit the game throws at you, the other one is a slightly different story.

Also my companion comment was only directed at this game, Fallout 1. The companions were poo poo there and later encounters would leave them severly out-equipped and out-leveled in every way. They usually don't survive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The bigger problem was staying alive yourself. In this year's GDC Tim Cain did a retrospective on Fallout's development, according to which companions were coded in a day (or in some similarly ridiculously short period of time) on a whim, and with no added scripting. There was effectively no companion AI. This results in a lot of friendly fire, some from your careless followers, some directed at that motherfucker Ian. This isn't really an issue in FO2.

And yeah, time limits can be a bitch the first time through when you don't know the world well enough. Cain actually wasn't a fan of the mechanic. According to him the whole developmental team was split on the issue, but it remained in the game in the end.

e:Here's his presentation for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 6, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Inzombiac posted:

This guy has never given Sulik an SMG...

Super sledge and combat armor :v:

Police Automaton posted:

I should've been clearer. You can't really "lose" by making a char so badly skilled that he's unable to survive. You can lose the game, you also can always get killed. If you follow the story somewhat though, it's pretty difficult to gently caress up at least the first time limit the game throws at you, the other one is a slightly different story.

Also my companion comment was only directed at this game, Fallout 1. The companions were poo poo there and later encounters would leave them severly out-equipped and out-leveled in every way. They usually don't survive.

Alright, yeah I get what you mean then.

I honestly never had any problems keeping companions alive, Ian was a huge jerk with his SMG but besides that Dogmeat owned in every way possible.

Rinkles posted:

The bigger problem was staying alive yourself. In this year's GDC Tim Cain did a retrospective on Fallout's development, according to which companions were coded in a day (or in some similarly ridiculously short period of time) on a whim, and with no added scripting. There was effectively no companion AI. This results in a lot of friendly fire, some from your careless followers, some directed at that motherfucker Ian. This isn't really an issue in FO2.

And yeah, time limits can be a bitch the first time through when you don't know the world well enough. Cain actually wasn't a fan of the mechanic. According to him the whole developmental team was split on the issue, but it remained in the game in the end.

Yeah ensuring my survival was more of a problem than my companions. I was usually melee or rifles and everyone targets me :(

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Give everyone single-shot weapons and the best armor you can find and it's not terribly difficult to keep the party alive until people start rolling up with 'flip a coin to see if everyone lives or dies' stuff like miniguns.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Clinton1011 posted:

I've seen the first ambush by The Legion completely wipe them out but I have also seen them survive that ambush with no deaths so it is really random.
A lot of factors affect the outcome of this battle. Sometimes the merchants get hung up/strung out over a large area, so when one of them triggers the ambush, it's a merchant massacre. Other times, there's an NCR patrol that can wander through around the same time that the merchants head toward Novac. Unsurprisingly, that results in a battle royale. To make matters worse (?), if you've pissed off the Legion by this point in the game, assassins will be heading through the mountains and can get caught up in either that fight or the Viper camp near Ranger Station Charlie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If Legion Assassins aren't tracking you down by that point, you need to reconsider how you're spending your time.

It was pretty impressive how I could wipe out Legion patrols in the middle of nowhere and gain infamy. I assume they have a dude with binoculars following every party.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Pope Guilty posted:

If Legion Assassins aren't tracking you down by that point, you need to reconsider how you're spending your time.

It was pretty impressive how I could wipe out Legion patrols in the middle of nowhere and gain infamy. I assume they have a dude with binoculars following every party.

Yeah, you should lose the infamy you gain if you kill all of the witnesses. But I guess it would just be too easy to go on a Legion/NCR killing spree without them noticing.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Legion Explorers were originally supposed to have armor with integrated binocular holders on the chest. ಠ_ಠ

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pope Guilty posted:

How the gently caress did he know that I was picking up those star bottle caps?

:tinfoil:

Also I'm at the point in my current run through where I'm starting to look at the DLC, and I was wondering, what's the best order to do them in, plotwise? It seems like they all follow some kind of order to me but I can't really decide on what it is (other than Lonesome Road being last).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, you should lose the infamy you gain if you kill all of the witnesses. But I guess it would just be too easy to go on a Legion/NCR killing spree without them noticing.

I remember in Skyrim I accidentally hit some random civilian while fighting off a random wolfpack on a road. I gained bounty, but then the civilian, *ahem* died, and it said I lost the bounty because there were no witnesses. Loved that.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
On one of my playthroughs the legion sent assassins after me regularly, but when they arrived they were non-hostile. The entire legion was non-hostile unless I started something right in front of them. I just wandered around their camp punching them to death. Next character, same mods installed but they were hostile again. Not sure what triggered that little glitch.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Giggily posted:

How the gently caress did he know that I was picking up those star bottle caps?

:tinfoil:

Also I'm at the point in my current run through where I'm starting to look at the DLC, and I was wondering, what's the best order to do them in, plotwise? It seems like they all follow some kind of order to me but I can't really decide on what it is (other than Lonesome Road being last).

Dead Money, OWB, Lonesome Road. I don't think HH is part of the plot but is rather a side story to the main plot.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like doing hh, dm, owb, then lr

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like doing hh, dm, owb, then lr

This is how I did it too. For me it seemed reasonable to do Honest Hearts first because at that point I was a guy basically looking for work to survive long enough to get in a good position to head into Vegas and confront Benny - it seemed reasonable to get onboard with a caravan and make some money. With Dead Money, I felt like it was a good to come into it shortly after I'd been in Vegas, dealt with Benny (however you choose to deal with him) and now felt free to do a bit of exploring, and basically stumble into that situation and work my rear end off to get myself out of the situation I'd found myself in.

You could make the same argument for Old World Blues as Dead Money, but it felt more appropriate to do it once I'd made myself kind of a power in the Mojave. I was a force to be reckoned with and once I arrived at Big Mountain, I'm thrown on the backfoot initially but I'm in a good position to turn things around.

Lonesome Road definitely worked best left for last, taking place shortly before Hoover Dam. I've brought everything to the brink but there's time to deal with this one last threat/riddle/obstacle from my past, somebody offering answers to questions that have been building up through the game (and all the other DLC).

But the other answer is to take it in whatever order you want! Each DLC is a self-contained story, each can be done at any time in the game, so go with what appeals to you at the time.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

rope kid posted:

A lot of factors affect the outcome of this battle. Sometimes the merchants get hung up/strung out over a large area, so when one of them triggers the ambush, it's a merchant massacre. Other times, there's an NCR patrol that can wander through around the same time that the merchants head toward Novac. Unsurprisingly, that results in a battle royale. To make matters worse (?), if you've pissed off the Legion by this point in the game, assassins will be heading through the mountains and can get caught up in either that fight or the Viper camp near Ranger Station Charlie.
You're forgetting that a pack of nightstalkers patrol around that overpass in the wee hours of the morning. The highlight of my second playthrough was running backwards from the corpse of the Bright Follower until I got jumped by some mole-rats and cut down by a team of Vipers behind a billboard.

Another difference I noticed before the major patches on 360 - I would occasionally get hostile Powder Gangers spawning in the little strip of land between Goodsprings and Goodsprings Source on my first playthrough. Was that a bug, or intentional?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I always clear the first silo in LR straight from the start since you can load up on gear there pretty easily. Plus the nail gun and the generals coat are my favorite weapon/armor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
I think they made Powder Gangers start as nuetral so you could have the option of doing I Fought The Law. I can see why they did that, but as a first time player I was a little put off by how safe the starting area was. I manually set their faction hate to Villify though, by way of shooting heads. I think helping Ringo should have triggered them to hostile, but they don't seem to care if you kill Joe Cobb and his gang.

I hope to god this is the last Fallout game to feature heads getting detached by bullets. It just looks dumb as all hell. Add a junk made gun that shoots table saw blades for that poo poo.

Niggard of Oz fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 6, 2012