Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Smol posted:

It's due to Deathclaws' high damage threshold (DT) and how DT interacts with sneak attacks and critical hits. With 100 guns and no extra perks or special ammo, a LMG bullet to the chest will do 21 damage, while a Deathclaw has 15 DT. DT is subtracted directly from your damage, so single non-critical LMG bullet will do 21 - 15 = 6 damage to the deathclaw.

However, when you score a sneak attack critical hit, normal damage, critical hit damage and DT is added together before the sneak attack multiplier kicks in. Assuming that you have the Better Criticals perk (which multiplies critical hit damage by 1.5), a single sneak-attack critical bullet will now do (21 + (21 * 1.5) - 15) * 2 = 75 damage, i.e. 12.5 times more damage than normally.

I did not realize that was how it worked. Now I understand why the Sniper Rifle destroys things on a sneak-crit. Same with Gauss Rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Teen Hero Greg posted:

That wasn't really what I was asking about, but that explains a lot. Anyway basically I'm wondering how Jet which was supposedly invented by a guy sometime between FO1 and 2 ends up appearing in Pre-War ruins.

Akira Ogata first synthesized crystal meth in 1919 and yet almost anyone can make it in 2012. Why wouldn't a potent and highly addictive drug that can be made from readily available ingredients (brahmin dung and whatever else) still be around? Edit: I am dumb and fail at reading. Squatters and/or drug addicts love abandoned buildings in the Fallout world as much as ours, it seems.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Akira Ogata first synthesized crystal meth in 1919 and yet almost anyone can make it in 2012. Why wouldn't a potent and highly addictive drug that can be made from readily available ingredients (brahmin dung and whatever else) still be around?

I think he's saying, why would you find Jet--a post-war drug--in areas that nobody has touched since pre-war times. A good example of this is the safe in Goodsprings' school.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think he's saying, why would you find Jet--a post-war drug--in areas that nobody has touched since pre-war times. A good example of this is the safe in Goodsprings' school.

I feex, yes. I rationalize by telling myself that there are some addicts in the FONV world who also happen to have killer breaking and entering skills. poo poo, my courier is one of them after all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like to imagine that there was some pre-war reason for keeping a dosage of Psycho in the local schoolhouse.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Exactly how is jet even used? Like is it inhaled like an asthma inhaler or do you jam it in your neck via needle?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fibby Boy posted:

Exactly how is jet even used? Like is it inhaled like an asthma inhaler or do you jam it in your neck via needle?

I assume it's inhaled. It looked more like an inhaler in the earlier games and the rushing water recipe implies that it's ingested rather than injected anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I could buy that maybe jet existed pre-war and was re-discovered post-war by some dude, but that doesn't explain why you can find Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor in places in FO3 and NV, or Iguana Bits or Brahmin Steaks. You can find both a Junktown Jerky Vendor skill book recipe AND post-war food in Big Mountain for example, despite knowing that neither of these things has any business being there.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I always rationalized it like it's not supposed to be this untouched pre-war scene, but just scavengers using and living in places and dying. It makes all the pre-war skeletons in dramatic poses Bethesda litters everywhere a lot less obnoxious.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

I always rationalized it like it's not supposed to be this untouched pre-war scene, but just scavengers using and living in places and dying. It makes all the pre-war skeletons in dramatic poses Bethesda litters everywhere a lot less obnoxious.

New Vegas was definitely better about this than FO3. Anybody remember the followup to You Gotta Shoot Em in the Head where you can find the undecayed corpse of somebody who supposedly died ten+ years prior?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like to imagine that there was some pre-war reason for keeping a dosage of Psycho in the local schoolhouse.

Better Living Through Chemistry viewed through a super science lens, I like it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mirthless posted:

New Vegas was definitely better about this than FO3. Anybody remember the followup to You Gotta Shoot Em in the Head where you can find the undecayed corpse of somebody who supposedly died ten+ years prior?

Yeah that was dumb. That quest is my favourite in the game though. It's so... straightforward, but there's such a variety of things you can do with it. I only played FO3 once but I remember getting all the keys, heading out to Constantine, looting the place dry but leaving the power armour, then giving Crowley the keys and letting him get his drat reward. Felt like the guy kinda deserved it. I never expected to see him again but when I paid a visit to Underworld a while later there he was, bumbling around the place in full T-51b armour. :3:

No other quests were quite so enjoyable, except maybe The Replicated Man. That game doesn't have many memorable sidequests, does it? Reilly's Rangers was decent, I liked that one. Kinda want to give the game another go...

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

Yeah that was dumb. That quest is my favourite in the game though. It's so... straightforward, but there's such a variety of things you can do with it. I only played FO3 once but I remember getting all the keys, heading out to Constantine, looting the place dry but leaving the power armour, then giving Crowley the keys and letting him get his drat reward. Felt like the guy kinda deserved it. I never expected to see him again but when I paid a visit to Underworld a while later there he was, bumbling around the place in full T-51b armour. :3:

No other quests were quite so enjoyable, except maybe The Replicated Man. That game doesn't have many memorable sidequests, does it? Reilly's Rangers was decent, I liked that one. Kinda want to give the game another go...

The wasteland survival guide was pretty great. Then again that was probably only fun because Moira was just so drat happy about everything.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Fibby Boy posted:

Jet is canonically a liquid. If you choose to have sex with the Bishop daughter in New Reno in FO2, she invites you to suck the Jet out of her mouth.
:goonsay:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crigit posted:

The fallout series doesn't really have any need to move on as long as they don't keep making stupid 200 year time jumps. When thinking of the modern fallouts I always mentally slice a zero of the back of that and go on my merry way.

I think that works well for NV, I couldn't imagine that something like the NCR or Legion could exist just a couple of decades after nuclear Armageddon, and it allows people like the Sorrows or brotherhood to have a bit of history. It also effectively demonstrates how pre-war America is well and truly dead.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bilal posted:

Jet is canonically a liquid. If you choose to have sex with the Bishop daughter in New Reno in FO2, she invites you to suck the Jet out of her mouth.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Empty_jet_inhaler :confused:

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Bilal posted:

This means nothing. Smoke or vapor can easily be sucked or blown into another person's mouth. :goonsay:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Well I'm glad that little bit of confusion was cleared up for me. Now I'm wondering what sort of super liquid hydra is made out of.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Going by the crafting recipe, it's cave fungus, night stalker blood, and rad scorpion venom. :geno:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fibby Boy posted:

Well I'm glad that little bit of confusion was cleared up for me. Now I'm wondering what sort of super liquid hydra is made out of.

I picked up some Hydra today and spent ages looking at it trying to work out how it's administered. Inhaled? Ingested? All the other chems are fairly obvious, most are pills or injections, but Hydra... On that note I didn't realise how funny-looking Turbo is.

Which was the drug that causes an incurable addiction? Rocket?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Going by the crafting recipe, it's cave fungus, night stalker blood, and rad scorpion venom. :geno:

Welp I feel stupid. In my defense I don't craft much outside of ammo.

Edit: I choose to believe the post below me is what hydra is made out of.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fibby Boy posted:

Hydra is composed primarily of liquified stem cell research and freedom.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Instances of Jet being in locations that were locked up Pre-War are oversights by the developers. We tried to make sure that never happened, but there are hundreds of containers in the game.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Instances of Jet being in locations that were locked up Pre-War are oversights by the developers. We tried to make sure that never happened, but there are hundreds of containers in the game.

Is there any explanation as to why there are cartons of cigarettes in a vast majority of trash cans, and why OWB is littered with fresh produce?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there any explanation as to why there are cartons of cigarettes in a vast majority of trash cans, and why OWB is littered with fresh produce?

There is actually another courier who wanders the wasteland and is addicted to cigarettes. His home base is actually in an abandoned malboro factory just off the western border of the map. Realizing that it was inefficient to carry his supply of cigs with him everywhere while making his rounds, he decided it would be best to stash a carton in every trashcan he came across on his jobs. After all, who would be dumb enough to loot hundred year old trash cans? If the player collects enough of the courier's stashes during the game so that he has to travel his route for more than two days without a smoke, he can be found dead sitting beside the last trashcan he searched having succumbed to his crippling addiction. This hidden easter egg is actually why the DLC was named "Courier's Stash".

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I did not realize that was how it worked. Now I understand why the Sniper Rifle destroys things on a sneak-crit. Same with Gauss Rifles.

The effect is much less pronounced with high-damage weapons. For example, an Anti-Materiel Rifle (110 damage) does only around 5.5 times more damage with a sneak attack critical (against a deathclaw).

tarabluh
Jun 29, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

There is actually another courier who wanders the wasteland and is addicted to cigarettes. His home base is actually in an abandoned malboro factory just off the western border of the map. Realizing that it was inefficient to carry his supply of cigs with him everywhere while making his rounds, he decided it would be best to stash a carton in every trashcan he came across on his jobs. After all, who would be dumb enough to loot hundred year old trash cans? If the player collects enough of the courier's stashes during the game so that he has to travel his route for more than two days without a smoke, he can be found dead sitting beside the last trashcan he searched having succumbed to his crippling addiction. This hidden easter egg is actually why the DLC was named "Courier's Stash".

You have the best explanations ever. They make so much sense in a turnaround way.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crigit posted:

The fallout series doesn't really have any need to move on as long as they don't keep making stupid 200 year time jumps. When thinking of the modern fallouts I always mentally slice a zero of the back of that and go on my merry way.

This is probably the better way to rationalize it. Otherwise eating 200 year old food from refridgerators is kind of :gonk: :v:

... ok even 20 year old food after a nuclear winter is kind of :gonk: but whatever, robot brains and radscorpions!

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
On my 4th play through and I've just discovered people living in the sewers near freeside. The strip is a pretty messed up place.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

gibsonisacripple posted:

On my 4th play through and I've just discovered people living in the sewers near freeside. The strip is a pretty messed up place.

What are you talking about? Chances are, virtually none of the toilets in the area are in working order, which means you don't have to deal with new sewage. And the old sewage, it's a few centuries old, which means you only have copious amounts of petrified poo poo. And you can probably use petrified poo poo as some kind of fuel source.

The real kings are the sewer dwellers. Mountains of poo poo-fuel.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

gibsonisacripple posted:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2651937/The-people-living-in-drains-below-Las-Vegas.html

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Well that's uplifting :smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well now I'm disappointed by the lack of quests in the sewers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm really enjoying an Unarmed neutral run so far, only at level 8 and haven't bothered to head to Vegas yet. Stealing everything that's not nailed down. Desperately addicted to Med-X. Got Boone along for the ride but I'm gonna have to ditch him, he keeps killing things before I can punch their heads off. Also I'm scared to have him die, this is my first hardcore run.

What are some good unarmed weapons to grab at a low level? I'm rolling with the GRA Power Fist right now. Was thinking of going to get Pushy but... cazador territory :ohdear:

Love and Hate are pretty lethal. Though that's in Cazadore territory too...

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Which was the drug that causes an incurable addiction? Rocket?

No, Ultrajet. Which is utter bullshit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I finished Operation Anchorage (other than the visuals, pretty lame - linear corridor shooter this game is not) and The Pitt (again, great visuals - less outright lame, but just way too drat small. I would have been pisssssed if I had bought this at full price.)

Currently fighting rednecks in the swamp, then off to the mothership, and I'll end with BS.

So far, they're not even close to matching up to the NV dlc, but we'll see. Just got attacked by a hillbilly with a double barrel and three jugs of moonshine :haw:

edit: Also FO3 is a crashing piece of poo poo, occasional crashes all throughout up to this point, but the mansion has crashed like five times in a row now :|

victrix fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 7, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Stroth posted:

No, Ultrajet. Which is utter bullshit.
Actually it's ant nectar. Last I checked the .esm, Ultrajet gives you Rocket addiction which gives you Jet addiction which doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Actually it's ant nectar. Last I checked the .esm, Ultrajet gives you Rocket addiction which gives you Jet addiction which doesn't make a whole lot of sense

That's odd. The wiki says:

quote:

Neither Fixer, nor doctors can heal ultrajet addiction, so use it sparingly.

Doesn't mean it's right, though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

victrix posted:

This is probably the better way to rationalize it. Otherwise eating 200 year old food from refridgerators is kind of :gonk: :v:

... ok even 20 year old food after a nuclear winter is kind of :gonk: but whatever, robot brains and radscorpions!

Radiation sorta preserves food, I guess? I saw a TV show once where some dude pulled year-old, radiation-treated strawberries out of a desk drawer and ate them. :science::pranke:

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doesn't mean it's right, though.

Both no longer hold true. Ant Nectar addiction was fixed in patch 1.2, and I have never encountered the issue with Ultrajet. Was it unique to console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I've just finished up Old World Blues. It was very well done. Great writing. I couldn't help but see the think-tank of kind of tragic and so I couldn't kill them. I was getting kind of sick of Big MT by the end though, mostly because of the kind of samey locations (you can only traverse so many broken-down labs and research facilities. I really liked what I saw of Ulysses-looking forward to seeing more of him. I'm really looking forward to getting back to my Brush Gun though-I couldn't use it in Big MT because the vendor sold like 5 rounds of .45-70 gov't. Great DLC though; I'd recommend it to anyone.