Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can also talk Ulysses down if you have all of his hidden logs from throughout the Divide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

PBJ posted:

So I'm at the end of Lonesome road, and have run into a bit of a snag. I've been trying to get Ulysses to surrender without having to resort to the level 100 speech check, but here's the problem: he keeps lecturing me on how my support of the NCR will all be for naught, even though I actually am playing an independent Vegas runthrough. I have to pass a (reputation?) check that will convince him to see things from my perspective, but it fails. My reputation with the NCR is currently [idolized], but that's a given for every other faction aside from the Legion.

So my question is this: does my reputation with the major factions have to be at a certain point for Ulysses to consider me working toward an independent Vegas, or is it something else I'm missing?

that whole mechanic is wonky. This mod I think fixes it.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Speedball posted:

You can also talk Ulysses down if you have all of his hidden logs from throughout the Divide.

I can't understand why, after everything he puts you through, you would want to do something other than bash his skull in when you finally, finally get the chance.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Depends on the character you're playing. You might just want to talk him down to stop the missiles. Personally I just felt sorry for him. Well, and plus I get a kick out of beating the boss through dialogue.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He's so strange, he doesn't even feel like a normal antagonist in the sense of the word.

I wish he could learn how to friggin' start his sentences with a subject, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Depends on the character you're playing. You might just want to talk him down to stop the missiles. Personally I just felt sorry for him. Well, and plus I get a kick out of beating the boss through dialogue.
And then having a badass "two couriers against the world" fight against the entirety of the Divide, yeah.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

2house2fly posted:

It's who you have the highest reputation with. For House it's the Strip and for Independent I think it's Freeside?
There is no "Independent faction." You have to not have any amount of fame with the NCR, Legion, or Strip.

PBJ posted:

I'll probably just load a previous save any try to mix things up with the NCR until they're back to neutral with me.
It doesn't work like that. Fame (positive rep) and Infamy (negative rep) are tracked separately, and they both only go up.

The mod Lord Lambeth linked to does a good job of fixing LR's faction tracking, but I kinda doubt it'll help you at this point. You might be able to use it with a save from before entering Ulysses' Temple, you might need one from before you started LR at all. It's quite likely you're stuck as a dog of the NCR for this playthrough.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CheeseThief posted:

Man I wish I had known about this sooner. Last week I had to rerun a large section of Dead Money twice due to a powercut corrupting my saves.

Also the next time you have a weird crash, if you have access to your weapons, make a realsave. Then, quit the game, load your real save. Then, use explosives to dismember yourself (a mine works well). Let it load your save back, then save, then reload that save, then go out the door with your pip-boy light off :iiam: It will sometimes fix things.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would you guys want a new Fallout game to maintain the FPS aspects? I think I'd vastly prefer a reworked all-VATs system over a half-hearted and not terribly well done shooter engine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd just like something that has more sophisticated enemy animations for combat. As it is they kind of just strafe around pointing guns at you (though they can take cover to reload and so on, it's just the animations are a bit janky).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

sector_corrector posted:

Would you guys want a new Fallout game to maintain the FPS aspects? I think I'd vastly prefer a reworked all-VATs system over a half-hearted and not terribly well done shooter engine.

Eh, NV's shooting would be alright if they had better collision detection on environment props.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I would adore a game that had the guts to do a fully 3D first person turn based shooter experience. The closest thing I can think of off the the top of my head is Valkyria Chronicles (which I loved) which is squad based and 3rd person.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Was XCOM not like that?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

sector_corrector posted:

I want a Fallout game with STALKER's combat. They did an amazing job making it feel gritty and realistic, and I think it'd be a perfect fit for Fallout.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Nah, you don't even aim in X-COM, it's all percentages.

I don't really care if they decide to go in a more shooter or more RPG direction for the next Fallout game, as long as they pick one and they do it well. Combat was by far the weakest aspect of Fallout 3, and even also New Vegas in spite of the vast improvements to the gunplay that Obsidian made. Gamebryo was an awful engine for engaging combat and VATS, even after it was toned down, just feels like cheating. I don't think either option benefited from the other existing.

Sam. posted:

I want a Fallout game with STALKER's combat. They did an amazing job making it feel gritty and realistic, and I think it'd be a perfect fit for Fallout.

It would be pretty wild to see what a well-funded team could do with unlimited time and access to the STALKER engine. The level of detail that engine goes into for the gunplay is insane. Ddraig over in the STALKER thread was talking about how you could make an enemy that's completely invincible unless you shot them in the eyelid if you wanted to, and the ballistics modeling is good enough that you can deflect RPGs with grenade explosions.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 29, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm pretty open to whatever they decide to do so long as it's done well. I'm fine with GET OUT OF HERE VAULT DWELLER, so long as they add in appropriate amounts of RPG to the mix. I'm fine with a turnbased system so long as, again, it's done properly, even if it's that real time turn based like DAO or KOTOR did. Ideally we'd get a good RTw/P system like 7.62 had (albeit, less buggy and much more polished, but I'm highly doubtful of it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, drat, just for kicks I got the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition but it won't run, at all, on my PS3. It just is stuck on perma-load on the startup screen.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Speedball posted:

Well, drat, just for kicks I got the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition but it won't run, at all, on my PS3. It just is stuck on perma-load on the startup screen.

If you haven't tried already and if it will load the startup menu (before actually selecting new game or whatever), go into the options menu and disable auto-saving. It's a pain in the rear end, but it apparently works for many people who have this bug.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When I played Fallout 3 last it "corrupted"my saves in a way I haven't seen before. I'd be running along, playing nicely, and shut the game off. I'd turn it back on and try to load, and I'd get a pop-up saying "disc is unreadable". Loading an earlier save seemed to work OK, I'd just lose up to ten minutes' progress at a time. Last time it happened I had a companion with me and noticed they were acting weirdly, not fighting back against enemies. Maybe if the companion runs into a bug and you save the game it messes the save up or something, I don't know. Anyway, Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever and New Vegas is bad because it has bugs.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lord Lambeth posted:

Was XCOM not like that?

Is XCOM first person? I haven't played it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah! No. It's always been a turn-based strategy game, it's just that the latest version of it likes to zoom in for cinematic kill-cams and such.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
There was also an X-COM FPS being made that people got really mad about and that's since been pushed back indefinitely.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
XCOM has never been first person. Isometric turn based tactics.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Note to self: get Light Step perk _ASAP_. Getting my legs blown off is just too inconvenient in Hardcore.

I mean yeah, with a high explosives skill you have more than half a second to see and disarm the frag mines, but still...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

thehumandignity posted:

I don't think being filled with empty, generic caves and houses really counts as being utilized.

About half of the NV non-quest locations are generic mines and caves.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Xander77 posted:

About half of the NV non-quest locations are generic mines and caves.

Ten caves and six mines featuring unique layouts, weapons, and encounters. Additionally, they provide habitats for many of the creatures of the wasteland.

With 187 locations, your statement is a gross generalization.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, thank you, that tip did make Fallout 3 run... it's been so long I forgot all the little details about it.

Most of the perks serve only to boost your existing skills, instead of introducing new game-changers. That's actually pretty surprising; and your existing skills don't have alternate utility, either. Fallout 3 is a much simpler game than its successor.

It's also much more beautiful than I remember it being (well, beautiful in "this destroyed scenery is impressive" sense). Also, the dialogue is more often than not pretty hilarious. Just about anything Moira says is great.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, thank you, that tip did make Fallout 3 run... it's been so long I forgot all the little details about it.

Most of the perks serve only to boost your existing skills, instead of introducing new game-changers. That's actually pretty surprising; and your existing skills don't have alternate utility, either. Fallout 3 is a much simpler game than its successor.

It's also much more beautiful than I remember it being (well, beautiful in "this destroyed scenery is impressive" sense). Also, the dialogue is more often than not pretty hilarious. Just about anything Moira says is great.

Like actually "haha this is funny" great or "haha this is so loving stupid" great?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Merry Magpie posted:

Additionally, they provide habitats for many of the creatures of the wasteland.
Do you ever feel like you're reaching for excuses?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Playing OWB for the first time, it just dawned on me that it's basically a humorous take on Unit 731. Walking in on a room full of cut up bodies and terminal entries about experimenting on surrounding populations and prisoners of war was a real "wait, I've heard of this before" kind of thing. Which does put a damper on the fun goofiness of the whole thing, to say the least.

Anyway, the doctors are all definitely going to die now.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 30, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Like actually "haha this is funny" great or "haha this is so loving stupid" great?

Genuine laughter, for the most part. The only thing that's made me eyeroll is Little Lamplight.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

When I went back to the ruins of Megaton after realizing that Tenpenny Tower has like a single goddamn quest (all of Tenpenny's guards said the same line to me in different voices as I walked out of the building), and saw Ghoul Moira and talked to her, I rolled my eyes so hard my lateral rectus muscles and optical nerves snapped and my eyes popped out.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 30, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Speedball posted:

Genuine laughter, for the most part. The only thing that's made me eyeroll is Little Lamplight.

Moira takes second place for "dumbest loving dialog" behind everything prefaced with [Intelligence].

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Speedball posted:

It's also much more beautiful than I remember it being (well, beautiful in "this destroyed scenery is impressive" sense).

This is true. I don't recall any environs in NV that awed me as much as the Scenic View outside Vault 101 as your eyes adjust to the Sun.

Maybe the entrance to Zion, but it wasn't the same.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Strudel Man posted:

Do you ever feel like you're reaching for excuses?

The legendary animals are all found in caves, if hes referring to that.

SpookyLizard posted:

Moira takes second place for "dumbest loving dialog" behind everything prefaced with [Intelligence].

I can't remember a whole lot from FO3 but what was so bad about the Intelligence checks?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Byzantine posted:

This is true. I don't recall any environs in NV that awed me as much as the Scenic View outside Vault 101 as your eyes adjust to the Sun.

Maybe the entrance to Zion, but it wasn't the same.

Some parts of the Divide and the Sierra Madre were impressive in their desolate little way. I liked the mountainous region up in the northwest as well. The strip would have been more impressive if I hadn't seen it in the hour long preview video Ropekid did but it was still pretty nice the first time I went there.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

khwarezm posted:

The legendary animals are all found in caves, if hes referring to that.

I can't remember a whole lot from FO3 but what was so bad about the Intelligence checks?

Generally speaking, they're loving retarded. There are cases where you repeat when someone just said, most notably with Three Dog. [Intelligence] So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio.

After Three dog just told us how he helps people by giving them information over the radio. Whereupon he calls us a chip off the old block and proclaims that we are as smart as our old man. Go play the goddamned game yourself or look it up or whatever you like. Is mindbogglingly dumb.

Fascinatingly enough, Three Dog was voiced by Erik Dellums, who played Doctor Fraiser, the medical examiner in The Wire.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Moira was the best NPC in Fallout 3. New Vegas has loads of great NPCs who could be argued to be the best.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I enjoyed nuking moira for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Moira was the best NPC in Fallout 3. New Vegas has loads of great NPCs who could be argued to be the best.

Best NPC to kill maybe. I can't think of too many NPCs I really enjoyed. Roy Philips maybe, since he was in what was probably the best quest in the game.