Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I kinda wish there was more in the game to the east of Mojave Outpost and south of Nipton. I don't know why, but that little area there, with the canyon and the desert, is one of my favorite bits to play in this game. It looks sweet, with the road which just suddenly cuts off over the canyon, and the dropped van. By the time you get to that area you are the perfect level for just cruising around and exploring the area, maybe chance it with the Super Mutants on the mountain or fight radscorpions. For some odd reason, I really like the plain, salt flats areas of the game, the plain old barren areas of enemies, with a couple little things here and there. That kind of makes it sound like I am wishing for more nothing, but it is well done nothing, somehow. It feels really Fallout-y, captures the feel.

rope kid posted:

Sure, but the schedule was what it was and all of the DLCs were rapidly developed. The best we can do is learn from them for the future.

Any particular lessons you learned working on New Vegas in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

rope kid posted:

Sure, but the schedule was what it was and all of the DLCs were rapidly developed. The best we can do is learn from them for the future.

NV's DLC is still pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Although I admit Honest Hearts out of all the DLC felt most like it was missing quite a bit of planned content. I'm sorry, I know that's the one DLC you were in charge of.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Uh, any idea what's causing the following:

NPCs start randomly puking all over the place while doing their normal routines :psyduck:. The best one was when I walked into the Atomic Wrangler and the Garret twins were casually barfing all over each other.

Also, I'm fairly certain I don't have any weirdo fetish mods installed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Hah, enjoy your vastly more entertaining game!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would've liked it more if the loss of innocence had more of a final gut punch to it. Like maybe there being noncombatants in the Whitelegs' camp that Joshua leads the Sorrows to kill. As it is, I kinda just want to give Joshua the go-ahead to kill the leader and the ending narration is just "Sucks to be Daniel; Sorrows aren't innocent anymore."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would've liked it more if the loss of innocence had more of a final gut punch to it. Like maybe there being noncombatants in the Whitelegs' camp that Joshua leads the Sorrows to kill. As it is, I kinda just want to give Joshua the go-ahead to kill the leader and the ending narration is just "Sucks to be Daniel; Sorrows aren't innocent anymore."

I guess it depends on whether you think being able, and willing to defend oneself and ones interests is a 'loss of innocence'. I help Joshua out every time.

Except for my cannibal cowboy themed run, where I figured my character would do the first set of fetch quests until getting to Daniel, and then get so fed up helping people he didn't care about that he'd demand the map and end up shooting everyone and leaving.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Eel hovercraft posted:

NPCs start randomly puking all over the place while doing their normal routines :psyduck:. The best one was when I walked into the Atomic Wrangler and the Garret twins were casually barfing all over each other.

This is hilarious. Do they make the "puke sound"?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Douche Bag posted:

This is hilarious. Do they make the "puke sound"?

Unfortunately no :( .

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Eel hovercraft posted:

Do you have EVE installed? I remember when I went to ask about what was messin' up my game in the armory IRC channel they said this was one of the super inept side effects of that mod that should have no relation to that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Eel hovercraft posted:

Not real vomit, these guys are faking it: immersion ruined. What the gently caress is with these Obsidian guys, can't even get Vomit Simulator 2013 right! I just want to experience people blowing chunks on my shoes like I was in a real lovely nightclub.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Eel hovercraft posted:

I'd check in the mod thread,, but I seem to recall that there's a graphics mod that causes that to happen. For some reason.

Beaten

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Eel hovercraft posted:

I just looked around YouTube and you're not the only person having this awesome problem.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Admittedly I'm not the most religious guy but the reason I had no problem siding with Joshua is because I had a hard time wrapping my mind around what Daniel's definition of "innocence" is. If a White Legs warrior jumped a Sorrows forager while he was out alone, can he pick up a rock to try and murder the guy? I mean, it's not like wiping out the White Legs was even a pre-emptive thing. If I recall right, Joshua runs up to you and say "poo poo's goin' down, s'go!"

I mean, okay, yeah, there's the option to run. But if their plan in the post-apocalyptic wasteland is to just keep on running whenever they're put in a position where they have to kill a human being, they're never going to thrive. I guess it gets down to what Rope Kid was saying - for my money, Daniel's basically dooming them to a lovely life because of his own religious beliefs. How can Christianity even account for life in the post-nuclear apocalypse?! :psyduck:

Seriously, though. I don't hate him because of the religion thing. I hate him because he wigged out at me when I dared to ask for directions home after all my caravan buddies were slaughtered in front of me. He doesn't want to ruin the Sorrows innocence but he's perfectly happy running yours into the ground.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Fereydun posted:

Do you have EVE installed? I remember when I went to ask about what was messin' up my game in the armory IRC channel they said this was one of the super inept side effects of that mod that should have no relation to that.

Well, I guess that solves it. No way I'm uninstalling EVE because of this (rather awesome) glitch, though. I'm just going to pretend they're puking because of radiation sickness :v: .

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Eel hovercraft posted:

I'm just going to pretend they're puking because of radiation sickness :v: .

Role play as a guy with such horrible hygiene he makes everyone around him physically ill :)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That DICK! posted:

Seriously, though. I don't hate him because of the religion thing. I hate him because he wigged out at me when I dared to ask for directions home after all my caravan buddies were slaughtered in front of me. He doesn't want to ruin the Sorrows innocence but he's perfectly happy running yours into the ground.

I sided with Joshua because gently caress Tribals.

I should finally roll an evil character and murder everyone. Hmm. Even if you are siding with Caesar, you can't try and help the white legs, can you..?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I sided with Joshua because gently caress Tribals.

I should finally roll an evil character and murder everyone. Hmm. Even if you are siding with Caesar, you can't try and help the white legs, can you..?

Their loyalty is to Ulysses, so not even a man wearing the garb of the Legion will convince them otherwise. The best you can settle for is to wipe both tribes out.

Too bad Caesar does not reward you for killing Graham. I would wonder how much Aureus he will offer for the head of Graham, or at least his pistol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rewarding you for killing Graham would mean admitting that Graham was alive in the first place. Caesar's kind of dug himself too deep into a "don't talk about Joshua Graham" hole to do that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

rope kid posted:

I should say that I totally understand why the majority of people side with Joshua. When I wrote the characters and presented the conflict, I knew then that the majority of people would side with Joshua. Daniel's viewpoint has a large amount of additional weight if you share his basic beliefs about Christian salvation. If you don't, people usually perceive the value of their "innocence" as minor (or even negative).

Sort of related; am I crazy for seeing parallels to Corinthians 8:4-13 (I apologize for playing bible scholar; I'm agnostic myself but religious texts are a fascination of mine) in Graham's choice at the end of HH?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

That DICK! posted:

How can Christianity even account for life in the post-nuclear apocalypse?! :psyduck:

I would say that Christianity as it's often practiced- having no conflict between it and accumulating wealth and comfort in the world- probably doesn't have any more conflict with the Wastes than it does with our society. Daniel doesn't strike me as that sort of Christian, however.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Daniel says that the Sorrows do kill their enemies in combat, so I read the innocence thing no so such as "they can't defend themselves" as "they don't like fighting". It seems that Daniel is afraid that if they're around the idea of total war too much, then they'll start to enjoy it and lose a big part of their culture, whereas Joshua sees their culture as being more tied to the park and their lives in it.

After all, it was Caesar showing some tribals how to wage war properly that started the Legion - Daniel is afraid of the Sorrows becoming like that. I preferred to side with Daniel - the culture of the Sorrows is more important than the park, since the white legs have no clue how to live off the land, they won't be there forever, and the Sorrows could resettle it later, and it stops Graham giving into his darker impulses.

We've seen Christianity represented in the Fallout games before, so it's not out of left field. I don't understand why the Courier seems unaware of it since they've apparently traveled throughout NCR territory, where Christianity is widely practiced, though?

Both Joshua and Daniel are really well done characters, and both make good points, which makes it a hard choice - Keith Szarabajka gives a fantastic performance as Joshua. I do try to give Joshua a peaceful outcome though.

I also love Caesar's answer if you ask him about the Burned Man - "And I've heard it's a bad idea to tempt the rage of Caesar!" :argh: His petty egotism is hilarious, especially if you keep trying to talk to him when he goes for a lie down and he flips out with rage and goes hostile (which is why introducing Caesar and Boone is the best idea).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

That seems like a nice way of saying "most Couriers are violent assholes". :v:
As long as EXP and/or loot is rewarded violence will always be the most profitable way to go :v:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I really am in the minority, I much preferred Honest Hearts over Old World Blues.

I liked the idea of OWB, but I found it to be rather tedious in execution. Both OWB featured mostly fetch quests, but at least HH's environment was gorgeous to look at and you were not constantly being attacked by loving nightstalkers and other such creatures. The constantly respawning creatures made it really bad.

Then again my favorite DLC was Dead Money, so :shrug:

DM > HH > LR > OWB

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You liked LR more than OWB? Man oh man....

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anytime someone ranks the F:NV DLCs someone somewhere is cracking their knuckles in anticipation of writing a really long post.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would say that OWB is definitely the best DLC in terms of sheer content, but LR holds a special place as feeling more like an ending than the actual ending did, possibly due to how 'personal' it was for the courier. The rest of the DLCs are side-trips for the courier to bumble into and fix, but Lonesome Road has this whole "You can't stop what's coming" No Country For Old Men vibe which I loved.

It also actually introduces some challenge back into the game that by then is essentially godmode for most players, so that helped.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Twee as gently caress posted:

DM > HH > LR > OWB

I disagree with almost every single word you've written in this thread, but this is correct.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Keeshhound posted:

Sort of related; am I crazy for seeing parallels to Corinthians 8:4-13 (I apologize for playing bible scholar; I'm agnostic myself but religious texts are a fascination of mine) in Graham's choice at the end of HH?
I wasn't intentionally setting it up to draw a parallel to those verses (though Joshua and Daniel incorporate bits of the gospels and Pauline letters into their dialogue), but it is an appropriate connection to make.

It was also inspired a little by the Wilfred Owen poem "The Parable of the Old Men and the Young".

http://www.poemtree.com/poems/ParableOfTheOldMan.htm

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

gyrobot posted:

Their loyalty is to Ulysses, so not even a man wearing the garb of the Legion will convince them otherwise. The best you can settle for is to wipe both tribes out.

Too bad Caesar does not reward you for killing Graham. I would wonder how much Aureus he will offer for the head of Graham, or at least his pistol.

Funny you should say that, I'm planning on shooting Caesar with Graham's pistol at some point. :v: Previously I've done it with a silenced weapon but I think with the crazy .45 wildcat rounds and a swift exit I shouldn't necessarily need that.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

That DICK! posted:

Admittedly I'm not the most religious guy but the reason I had no problem siding with Joshua is because I had a hard time wrapping my mind around what Daniel's definition of "innocence" is. If a White Legs warrior jumped a Sorrows forager while he was out alone, can he pick up a rock to try and murder the guy? I mean, it's not like wiping out the White Legs was even a pre-emptive thing. If I recall right, Joshua runs up to you and say "poo poo's goin' down, s'go!"

War is in no way the same thing as self-defense, even if that is the practical reason behind waging it. It's obvious that the White Legs will slaughter the Sorrows if they don't run or fight back, but on a personal, individual level, going to war against them very much is the same as a pre-emptive attack; waiting for your enemy to attack you so that you have the moral authority to kill him isn't a good way to fight a war. On a personal level, the Sorrows will be called to attack and kill White Legs who are of no immediate threat to them. That is the nature of war: no matter what kind of good reasons might go behind the decision to fight one, war is systematic murder. If I encountered a society that had never engaged in war before, and I had the chance to give my life to keep that from happening, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Wouldn't need to.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
For me, I was rather tired of the theme: war never changes. If it's about just snake-bites-another, then, I don't feel it matters if I'm involved with such superficial choice. So, probably, I bet on Daniel's idealism although I found him basically imposing himself or his interpretation of the Bible on an alien culture as vengeance in Joshua's case - the part where I cannot sympathize either of them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Last night I powered trough Lonesome Road.

I did not enjoy it.

I still haven't gone to talk to Caesar in the main game, here are my perspectives projected to my in game character:

I've wandered the Mojave. I've assisted the flight of tribes from New Zion. I've secured the horrors of the Big Empty. I've been shackled by a madman and forced to evade ghosts and rob a high tech tomb. I still have to convince the NCR to draw back, assassinate the command structure of the Legion, and lay judgement on the factions of New Vegas. I am tired, cranky, and even my good nature is giving way to increasing violence. Yet before I do all that, I have this gnawing plea for a "Reunion."

Entering the divide I'm accosted by the voice of a madman. I've heard it before on tapes, rambling about the Old World, and now I hear it live. He's confused and claiming I'm NCR, gibbering about flags and strength. He tells me I'm responsible for this place. A man I've never met blaming me for ravaging a place I don't remember. He explains how this place came to be and my past self's part in it. That I understand. Otherwise he becomes less lucid, continuing to tell me his beliefs about strength, the old world, the Bear, and the Bull. There is one truth he tells me: I am unable to turn back. I'm free to leave, to get back to the Mojave. I can't just leave it alone. I have to know why I was called here and what he wants with me. I will find out, no matter how many of these godforsaken Deathclaws and glow lizards stand between us.

By the time the Ulysses takes my robot friend, I'm done. I've answered the mystery. He didn't want me. He's just another madman wanting a weapon, no different from Elijah. He wants to reawaken the "giants" that shattered the world. Bad enough the one I detonated in the sky, he wants to bring the rest back down on what's left of civilization. He's claims it's my fault but he's wrong. I can't abide a mystery, or anything left undone, but he's the one abusing my actions. Ulysses launching the missiles is no more my fault than the cracks in the Divide. The choice to launch these missiles is his own. By the time I breach his "temple," I'm filled with rage. I've been used again, though not by force, and yet another psychopath is threatening wide scale violence.

When I enter the Silo, I see him there in the distance, flag flying. He likes to talk. He thinks he knows a lot because he's read a lot of Old World books, and he clearly has a flair for the dramatic. He wants this to be a grand reckoning. He's lost in his own bullshit and warheads are about to fly. I'm a master diplomat and I couldn't talk down Elijah. I'm not going to talk down Ulysses. He's at the far end of the room facing the Old World flag, waiting. I raise my .50 cal and squeeze the trigger.

I'm putting down a rabid animal.

After cleaning Ulysses remaining defenses I'm faced with an impossible decision. Even if I target Legion territory, I can't have that many deaths on my head. The Legion are brutal and violent, but I will not indiscriminately rain fire on their warbands and townspeople. The Legion's reckoning will come at my hand, but only by the blood of their leaders. I'm sorry ED-E, but we have no choice. We have to stop this.

Ulysses isn't the only one who has read old books. If Ulysses is the name he gave himself. I'm not Courier Six.

I am Orpheus.

I mocked Fate by walking alive among the ghosts of the Underworld. I emerged from the depths, but in looking back, left a piece of myself.

I set out down the final road. The one I choose for myself, and the Mojave.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 19, 2013

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Twee as gently caress posted:

I really am in the minority, I much preferred Honest Hearts over Old World Blues.

I liked the idea of OWB, but I found it to be rather tedious in execution. Both OWB featured mostly fetch quests, but at least HH's environment was gorgeous to look at and you were not constantly being attacked by loving nightstalkers and other such creatures. The constantly respawning creatures made it really bad.

Then again my favorite DLC was Dead Money, so :shrug:

DM > HH > LR > OWB

Dead Money's great, i remember literally having a bitter-and-not-so-sweet taste in my mouth and feeling depressed at the end of it. Unfortunately it's also the DLC i hate going through the most simply because i the cloud and audio signal mechanics just become too drat annoying after a while. I honestly don't know how i'd rate the dlc's, i think they're all awesome (though i personally find HH to be a bit behind the other 3).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man there is so much cave fungus in Honest Hearts and so little in the main game.

Was your train of thought, "Well, there's this one resource that barely appears in the core game, can we find a way to spice it up a bit in Zion?" "....sure! I got a ton of great ideas for recipes that use it!" "Well, fine, but now we need more samples of it to be found in Honest Hearts!" "Already on it!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ulysses actually did want you. It's not like ED-E is hidden away, Ulysses could have got him at any time. He wanted you to travel with ED-E, learn his story (I wonder if maybe he put ED-E there himself, and if he did maybe it was him who triggered the audio logs of Whitley to play every now and then) and grow attached to him, so it would hurt when Ulysses ripped him away. It's a small way of making you feel the way he felt when you destroyed the Divide. I also think (though this is sort of fanfiction territory) that he wants you to hate him and try to kill him, so that he can justify killing you as self-defense.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

rope kid posted:

I should say that I totally understand why the majority of people side with Joshua. When I wrote the characters and presented the conflict, I knew then that the majority of people would side with Joshua. Daniel's viewpoint has a large amount of additional weight if you share his basic beliefs about Christian salvation. If you don't, people usually perceive the value of their "innocence" as minor (or even negative).

It seems sort of obvious to say this, but if you don't fundamentally believe the universe works the way that Daniel believes it does, he's never going to be particularly convincing.

If there was one single thing HH would really benefit from, it would be either 1.) a direct conversation between Joshua and Daniel (regarding the ending choice) on which the Courier can listen in, or 2.) a chance for the Courier to hear both guys out and, before making a decision, go back to each and present the other's case and get reaction dialogue.

Like most people, I went into HH wanting to meet Graham because he's such an awesome badass, and Daniel is presented as... well, not Graham's equal exactly, but at least one of his peers. The two hang out together, and supposedly Daniel actually disagrees with Graham behind the scenes and stands up to him (which surely nobody would have done when Graham was the Malpais Legate). We don't actually get to hear much from him, though, and he's sort of Mr. Postcolonialism when you first meet him ("Oh. Ah. Of course, how stupid of me. They probably also think Mary is the mother and Jesus is the child," ""Tribals are smart, but... well, they're ignorant"). The specific Christianity of his viewpoints aside, I think it would really strengthen the conflict for Daniel to actually contradict Joshua onscreen and be like "Yo, Mr. Old Testament, you're doing it wrong."

also the main reason I came to this thread was to post a quote from a random King I had somehow never seen before: "Man, I'm hungry. I'd give anything for a Fancy Lad. Wait, I mean-- you know what I mean!"

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

uaciaut posted:

Dead Money's great, i remember literally having a bitter-and-not-so-sweet taste in my mouth and feeling depressed at the end of it. Unfortunately it's also the DLC i hate going through the most simply because i the cloud and audio signal mechanics just become too drat annoying after a while. I honestly don't know how i'd rate the dlc's, i think they're all awesome (though i personally find HH to be a bit behind the other 3).

Yeah, the bitter-and-not-so-sweet ending is part of why the game is so great. It felt like Fallout: Survival Horror edition.

I was so loving stressed and going OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo once I started those fireworks for the opening of the Casino. Barely any health, no stimpacks or food left, almost no ammo, just running away completely terrified and trying to avoid being killed by the first person I'd see

Personally I really liked the whole cloud and audio signal mechanics, so I don't mind them

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Yeah the Gala is awesome; I know engine limitations prevented this, but I really would have liked to see entire hordes of Ghost People shambling weirdly around in the distance as you're frantically trying to get to safety. Dean references the fact that there are hordes of them wandering around out of sight and beneath the place.

The whole idea of what they are is so awesomely creepy, too. There's something extra hosed-up about the fact that they only wore these bulky, awkward, claustrophobic suits to protect themselves from this noxious gas, but the gas just corroded the fasteners and trapped them inside the very suits that were supposed to protect them, whereupon they helplessly mutated into whatever they are now, however long that took. It's an awful thought and it's so fitting in that DLC.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The collar mechanics I can take or leave, but I was the one guy who really loved the other Villa gameplay. The Ghost People are a neat challenge to fight (though I hate how the Seekers' gas bomb throw is impossible to hit in VATS, now that I've found how you can destroy powder gangers that way) and the scarcity of resources isn't so crippling once you play through enough to know where everything is, as I now have. I would wish for a way to distinguish the different areas of the town beyond color cast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

(though I hate how the Seekers' gas bomb throw is impossible to hit in VATS,)

Yeah that really sucked balls.