Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Samopsa posted:

OWB is pretty cool. Just finished it tonight.
Pros:
All the little goofy jokes every loving where.
The Sink.
The Dr.'s are pretty awesome.
Really big! I loved the backstory on all places you can visit.

Cons:
Damage sink enemies.
Spawns are hosed.
All those "boss" monsters which are mostly even bigger damage sinks but with idiotically high perception.
Because of all the enemies I gained like 10 levels from 16 to 26, which is kinda too much IMO for a DLC.
The millions of metal boxes/footlockers/toolboxes and stuff, making my OCD side come out and check everything. If they weren't there the time spent playing OWB would be cut in half I guess.
Weak overall storyline.
A bit too goofy. While fallout always has that goofy side, it treads a fine line between parody and true post-apocalyptic storytelling. There are some truly sad stories and human-focused plot-lines, but OWB is just goofing off big time.

Those are my thoughts exactly. I get the feeling that OWB had a rushed release without much time for testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Galewolf posted:

Even though i am still playing the OC and haven't touched the DLC 50 odd hours in i am itching to get Fallout 3, never played that one and i just wonder how bad it is compared to New Vegas.
Megaton left a bad taste in my mouth but, in general, I enjoyed myself right up until the end. The ending was so atrocious that it irrevocably tainted everything that preceded it.

Unlike Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, and New Vegas, I've never felt the urge to replay Fallout 3. V:shobon:V

Edit:
One area where FO3 completely dropped the ball was the settlements. People(/I) complain about New Vegas feeling underpopulated, but it's waaay better than FO3 at creating the illusion of "People live here!" For example, one 'town' is literally about three shacks on a destroyed highway overpass. Another is Megaton, a town concept so silly that it's only trumped by a subterranean civilization of orphaned children.

Fallout 3 is basically the Star Wars Prequels of the Fallout universe. A bunch of good ideas are there but it's completely bungled in execution.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 10, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Guys, how do I stick with a character? I get about 5 or 6 hours in, and then create a new character. The exact same character, mind you. But I always create a new one. Why am I doing this? I haven't beaten HH and I haven't even touched OWB or LR yet :smith:

Tsargon the Great
Jun 4, 2005

~=~ NuMBa 1 PoSta~=~
CuTiE

SpaceMost posted:

Megaton left a bad taste in my mouth but, in general, I enjoyed myself right up until the end. The ending was so atrocious that it irrevocably tainted everything that preceded it.

Unlike Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, and New Vegas, I've never felt the urge to replay Fallout 3. V:shobon:V

Fallout 3 is very easily the worst of the series if we don't include Brotherhood of Steel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brace posted:

Guys, how do I stick with a character? I get about 5 or 6 hours in, and then create a new character. The exact same character, mind you. But I always create a new one. Why am I doing this? I haven't beaten HH and I haven't even touched OWB or LR yet :smith:

Oh dear, you've got some pretty bad alt-itis there son. Just keep going, resist the urge to start again. Just think, you can get more information on how to build your character better for the next time!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
For a lot of the drugs and nearly all the booze/pop, it's stuff i'd been hoarding one place or another the entire game; I'd drink water (nasty or pure) and eat non-craftable-item food for healing, unless it was really dire. Only dropped a few drugs when I absolutely had to. You can collect a ridiculous amount of booze, Nuka and Sarsaparilla because the Atomic Wrangler restocks every 3 days, and is one gate away from a Mojave Express box - my base is in Novac, as soon as I get the room.

Slasher and some of the other craftables, I'd did every so often when I had a good collection of ingredients; just before I did the final battle, I loaded the entire contents of my Misc and Aid stashes from Novac, and went to the Sink to craft away. 40k pounds <!> of poo poo became 23k. I was CTD'ing trying to fast-travel from the drive-in after I returned, so I had to drop everything that wasn't food/drink or my weapons/armour, and got down to like 4000 pounds, I think. (Might've been 6000.)

I was planning to do something insane like this from the start - I usually drug the gently caress up going after Lanius anyway. I'd found that alcohol lasts *forever* - after hitting the Wrangler for a load of booze, I drank it all (something like 40 bottles of assorted beer/scotch/vodka/whiskey/wine), and eight-plus *in-game* days later I was still affected. :catdrugs:

I did find that Ghost Sight does not play well with the night-vision Nuka variant; it flared-out a lot of the screen. Adding Cateye, or using a Stealthboy, finished whiting out the screen, or made your Pip-Boy useless, respectively.

And I guess by killing Caesar when I did, after being Idolised and getting Caesar's Favour, the (remnants of the) legion kept filling the dropboxes. I picked up my merch three times after shanking the old guy and putting his bits in a fire.

Since I'm going to do a limited-weaponry Signature weapon run next, I may amuse myself by taking every drink and drug as I find 'em. One really good bender will probably get me through the Sierra Madre, I expect.

My addictions list was... well, most of that. I ended up addicted to the Irradiated versions of Scotch, Whiskey and Vodka, for example, and good lucking finding more of *that*. :shepface:

If anyone else is insane enough to try this, y'all best savescum - the game seems a mite unhappy with clicking 1400 times in the PimpBoy. (If you mouse over the selection, you can spaz on the "Enter" key, it's a little easier on both your hand(s) and your mouse.)

Too bad it didn't dump all the empties around me, though... that would have been a hilarious screenshot or vid, powering out of the mountain of bottles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tsargon the Great posted:

Fallout 3 is very easily the worst of the series if we don't include Brotherhood of Steel.

Nothing will beat Fallout 2 for terrible Fallouts for me. It wouldn't have been nearly as lovely to me if it weren't for literally every action that could lead to a victory state in the game actually leading to a crash to desktop.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, it was definitely the Big Kid-for starters, I made sure to load it specifically against the Legate, and second, it exploded on impact with the cliff next to me.
Big Kids don't bounce. All Mini-Nukes other than Timed will explode on impact.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't buy low yield or tiny tots because their radii are so tiny. I know they're not supposed to be as strong as big kid or normal nukes, but their mushroom clouds are deceiving.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Low Yield is basically "bulk" Fat Man ammunition, the .223 to your 5.56mm. Tiny Tots are best used for carpet-bombing (especially in areas with a lot of nooks and crannies that would otherwise block a single large explosion) or for relatively close-range firing. A single Tiny Tots volley can stack a huge amount of damage in a small area if they don't have the distance to spread out. It can be a viable tactic, but you will take a boatload of radiation damage in the process.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I think the timed nukes are my favorite because you can just shoot a nuke through a doorway, and step into another room that isn't within line of sight to clear a room out. I find it entertaining that I'm launching nukes five feet away from myself and not getting hurt.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Node posted:

I think the timed nukes are my favorite because you can just shoot a nuke through a doorway, and step into another room that isn't within line of sight to clear a room out. I find it entertaining that I'm launching nukes five feet away from myself and not getting hurt.

Those walls could take at least one atomic bomb so it makes sense they could take another.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, ricocheting Timed Mini Nukes is really handy. If you do manage to hit a target with it en route, it will majorly gently caress up most enemies, usually killing it and shearing a limb off. It will occasionally result in a terrible bounce, though, especially if it hits a torso and just flies straight back at you.

EDIT: BTW, Big Kids with a maxed-out Explosives characters (i.e. 100 Explosives, Splash Damage + Demo Expert x3) are almost inescapable harbingers of (player) death.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Why is the Chinese Stealth Suit just one piece instead of the armor and the hood separately?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Chinese didn't manage to steal hood technology before making the thing.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Chinese didn't manage to steal hood technology before making the thing.

Actually it's the other way around. The United States reverse engineered the cloaking technology in the Chinese "Black Ghost" Stealth Armor to create the Stealth Boy and Big MT's MKII Psychoanalytic Cardiac-Dampening Sneaky Stealth Suit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Doug Lombardi posted:

Actually it's the other way around. The United States reverse engineered the cloaking technology in the Chinese "Black Ghost" Stealth Armor to create the Stealth Boy and Big MT's MKII Psychoanalytic Cardiac-Dampening Sneaky Stealth Suit.

Do you like me?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Node posted:

Do you like me?

I think the best part of OWB was that everything had some sort of severe personality disorder, even the loot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Node posted:

Do you like me?

"We haven't seen any enemies in a while.... you don't think they have stealth suits too, do you? :ohdear:"

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I just had sex with Doctor Dala... I think?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think the best part of OWB was that everything had some sort of severe personality disorder, even the loot.

I wish the K9000 wasn't such a crappy gun, it's really adorable.

On a similar note, did I completely miss the power of the Holorifle, or are the enemies in Dead Money just terrible bullet sponges? I was never very impressed with it running through the DLC because it took two or three shots, minimum, to kill anything, but once I got back to the Real World, I used it to wipe out the Legion Fort by one-shotting Praetorians in the head.

I wouldn't be surprised, Dead Money enemies are a general pain in the rear end anyway. They twitch and jump around so much that you can hardly hit them outside of VATS. It's like they're made of paper. Really, really tough bulletproof paper.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AlmightyBob posted:

How much breathing was there involved?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just ran down the I-15 slaughtering Deathclaws straight out of Goodsprings thanks to the Courier's Stash pack. gently caress you Chomps Lewis, I'll fight my way to Vegas like a real man. :c00lbert:

AlmightyBob posted:

Boooooop boop boop boop.

Boop.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Node posted:

Do you like me?

"Entering combat... just kidding!"

"We're out of stimpaks!"

"Out of stimpaks!"

"No more stimpaks!"

After five minutes of that I said gently caress it, opened the console, and gave myself Enclave Power Armor.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I unequipped it as soon as possible because it kept force-feeding me Med-X at the drop of a hat.

If I want to be all drugged up I'll do it on my own time, thank you very much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Doug Lombardi posted:

Sure, they are better at being sneaky all the time because they keep stealing our poo poo. They still didn't have hood technology though, did they?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

rope kid posted:

Big Kids don't bounce. All Mini-Nukes other than Timed will explode on impact.

I'm pretty sure it was a glitch of some sort-in all my efforts to replicate the shot, the Timed Mini-Nukes don't act at all like the original shot did (Especially since they don't explode inside VATS) and all the other Mini-Nukes act like they usually do, i.e. exploding on impact and killing/wounding the Legate and/or me. (After reloading after the original shot and killing the Legate and finishing the game, it bugged out in several other ways, with Cannibal Johnson wandering around the ending slide room and the game freezing on the final end slide, for what it's worth.)

That being said, I've just fallen in love with all of the GRA weapons and ammo subtypes. The unique Plasma Caster and Gatling Laser in particular are just awesome, and the .50 MG Explosive rounds are extremely fun to play with. Absolutely fantastic DLC.

Edit: Also, the best shotgun in the game is Esther loaded with Tiny Tots and that is a fact. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Boogaleeboo posted:

Sure, they are better at being sneaky all the time because they keep stealing our poo poo. They still didn't have hood technology though, did they?

The suit has a really nice hood. You can't find it? That means it's working.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How much breathing was there involved?

Quite a bit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The suit has a really nice hood. You can't find it? That means it's working.

Touche

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Mozi posted:

I unequipped it as soon as possible because it kept force-feeding me Med-X at the drop of a hat.

If I want to be all drugged up I'll do it on my own time, thank you very much.

I couldn't figure out how I was addicted to med-x as I never take the stuff. Then I heard her injecting me and I felt defiled.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

rope kid posted:

Yeah, ricocheting Timed Mini Nukes is really handy. If you do manage to hit a target with it en route, it will majorly gently caress up most enemies, usually killing it and shearing a limb off. It will occasionally result in a terrible bounce, though, especially if it hits a torso and just flies straight back at you.

EDIT: BTW, Big Kids with a maxed-out Explosives characters (i.e. 100 Explosives, Splash Damage + Demo Expert x3) are almost inescapable harbingers of (player) death.

Yeah I learned this the hard way. I bought Esther and thought "well time to show all those uppity irradiated bitches in Courier's Mile what-for." And I did. Along with myself. Many, many tines.

edit: one thing I don't understand about the DLC's is that not only do the enemies scale with you at all times so you always get high XP from killing them, but that XP you get from completing quests also scales with at all times. So no matter what you are walking out of the DLC story with at least 5 levels under your belt.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 10, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I found it confusing that the White Legs dudes were all tribal and had poor equipment, but they were all armed with loving anti-materiel rifles and riot shotguns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They raided a military weapons store on their way through the park. Ulysses pointed it out to them and showed them how to use the weapons, what an rear end in a top hat!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So, I entered OWB just to see the beginning of it, as I'm still only level 10. Is it just me, or is there a very futurama-ish vibe to the writing? "We must defeat him. With science."

Is courier's cache that good? I don't have that or DM, considering getting one of them later this month.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I found it confusing that the White Legs dudes were all tribal and had poor equipment, but they were all armed with loving anti-materiel rifles and riot shotguns.

Joshua Graham says they raided a pre-war armory on a military base.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

So, I entered OWB just to see the beginning of it, as I'm still only level 10. Is it just me, or is there a very futurama-ish vibe to the writing? "We must defeat him. With science."

Is courier's cache that good? I don't have that or DM, considering getting one of them later this month.

Get the Gun Runners Pack, the Cache isnt really worthwhile.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Get the Gun Runners Pack, the Cache isnt really worthwhile.

Ah-ha, thanks. Already got GRA :c00lbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

To be more specific, the cache is just all the preorder bonuses lumped together. While they were more powerful than the stuff you would normally start out with, they were still balanced to be "starting" weapons and as such get outclassed quickly when you start finding higher tier/unique weapons. The non-weapon bonuses were just like 10 extra stimpacks or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I got the courier's pack even though I was already max level and didn't need the items because I wanted to support Obsidian. :cheers: