Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Logan's Loophole might be useful. Doubles the length of chem effects, means you can't ever get addicted.

If you're always drunk, then addiction's not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also put your Intelligence just low enough that getting sloshed dips you into the "Durr me brain damaged" speech options

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the highly intelligent conversation with the drunk when searching for Euclid's C-finder

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've literally never played this game without JSawyer installed, so Logan's Loophole seems much less enticing, since IIRC under JSawyer it locks you at level 20. Or does that still win out in the cost/benefit analysis?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yes, it’s still worth it, imo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You take Old World Gourmet with it, cart around a bunch of Scotch and suddenly you're a drunken rear end in a top hat regenerating like Wolverine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zeerust posted:

I've literally never played this game without JSawyer installed, so Logan's Loophole seems much less enticing, since IIRC under JSawyer it locks you at level 20. Or does that still win out in the cost/benefit analysis?

It's worth it if you are one of the people like me who literally never use any chems unless they have the perk to remove addiction. Otherwise, eh, I guess it depends on whether there are any perks at all that interest you after level 20?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Take Logan's Loophole and be the Hunter S. Thompson of the Mojave Wasteland.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

In a perfect world, you run the Boomer gauntlet and there's Hunter sitting around with a rocket launcher and surrounded by empty whiskey bottles

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I just realised, Caesar's behaviour was in part influenced by his brain tumour.

That might not have been intended but it gives an interesting demention to it all.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just realised,, Caesar's behaviour was in part influenced by his brain tumour.

That might not have been intended but it gives an interesting demention to it all.

:golfclap:

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I just realised, Caesar's behaviour was in part influenced by his brain tumour.

You write Hadrian's material?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm starting a run and playing the DLC for the first time, prolly my seventh or eighth time doing vanilla

Any new mods or anything to recommend? Also help me to make a melee character and actually stick with it for the first time ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Frog Act posted:

So I'm starting a run and playing the DLC for the first time, prolly my seventh or eighth time doing vanilla

Any new mods or anything to recommend? Also help me to make a melee character and actually stick with it for the first time ever

Solid Project is fun for giving you batman style combat takedowns.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Frog Act posted:

First thing that comes to mind...
Misc Items - Use as Weapons

You may also enjoy a combo of

DMC3 Rebellion

and

Skull caps and skeleton suits

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

Do the Honest Hearts DLC as soon as practical, the tomahawks are amazing weapons.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Frog Act posted:

I like The Living Desert. It adds some events and patrols to make the wasteland feel a little busier.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks dudes! I'm having a hard time getting The Living Desert working. I've got it installed via NMM, and as far as I can tell its all supposed to be working, but for whatever reason it is highlighted red in the menu. I installed the NVSE and the extra thing it needed, but not via the mod manager, just directly into the folder. Could that be the problem?

ed: oh and do I run it through NVSEloader.exe or through the NMM launch button? I think I fixed it by opening it via NMM and clicking on the boxes for the DLC .esms, for whatever reason they were unchecked

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 4, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What level do people typically do the DLC? I've done the one with the robot brains and part of dead money before a game breaking bug made me quit, but I bought the last two DLC awhile ago and now I'm raring to play em

Can I start honest hearts around 13-15?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Easily. OWB and Lonesome Road are the ones that are going to throw ridiculously hard hitting HP bags at you.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ironically, the suggested levels for OWB and Dead Money are probably the worst times to do them. I get that they intended them to be challenging, but at the reccomended time, those lobotomites and ghost people are just bullet sponges.

Best go into Dead Money at like level 5-10 and let the cosmic knife carry you to victory.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hell yeah, I'm stoked to try some new Fallout New Vegas content. Experiencing stuff for the first time ever in FNV is a rare treat, especially after how abused I felt by fallout 4, so I'm glad I can do some of it inbetween beating vanilla again. Also someone on reddit manually typed me a list of like, fifty mod recommendations for things to enhance immersion and the vanilla experience, complete with links. I was gratified by his generosity until he told me to "bing" a program that would tell me about mod conflicts (getting script errors installing some things, I'm terrible at managing mods so I just gave up on those rather than forcing it and breaking everything else) and I clicked on his profile and he's a loving Nazi. I don't mean to start a discussion here I'm just feeling some kind of something about receiving a thorough and genuinely good list of mods coming from someone so awful.

Also, if anyone knows of any good nightvision mods that would be awesome, I found one but it needs unified hud which isn't updated anymore (recommend another HUD instead), the recommended one isn't compatible with the nightvision thing I don't think, and it doesn't matter because I can't install any of them anyway due to some weird script conflict.

also I remember finding dead money really frustrating before running into a room that crashed when I left and represented like a three hour gap autosave so I just quit. going into it this time I want to have repair and speech up, right, just like for OWB I'll want Science and energy weapons

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dead Money is so much less annoying if you have Light Step so you don't have to look for bear traps every two seconds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

*double post

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Most of my characters are huge sacks of hitpoints so beartraps were more of an inconvenience than a threat, so I never even considered Light step!

I love this game so much. I appreciate how there are so many solutions to the tasks the game throws at you. It's basically soured me on every RPG afterwards, though, in a good way.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On a different note, I recently took my Hammerhead/Flattop mafia character up to the point where you can side with the Omertas, since it seemed narratively fitting and I don't think I've done it before. They...uh, really didn't think this plan through, did they? "Yeah, let's gas everyone on the Strip to death at Caesar's behest! Then we can take over...uh, the city in which we just murdered all of our gambling profits. And we just betrayed our employer for a guy with a psychotic fixation on wiping out tribes just like us. Good call!"

I'm thinking the best option is to just get House to send in his robbits to kill Sal and Nero, since even if I want to keep the Omertas around, they're doomed with those two at the helm

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

What level do people typically do the DLC? I've done the one with the robot brains and part of dead money before a game breaking bug made me quit, but I bought the last two DLC awhile ago and now I'm raring to play em

Can I start honest hearts around 13-15?

Lonesome Road will let you leave before you are finished, and at level 1 you should be able to make it far enough to get a useful perk for Ed-E, but the rest you should do after the other DLC for story reasons.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most of the DLC scale to your level and are generally best done as early as you can survive them as the enemies turn into bullet sponges if you go in super late.

This is why Logan’s Loophole is actually all upside.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whydirt posted:

Most of the DLC scale to your level and are generally best done as early as you can survive them as the enemies turn into bullet sponges if you go in super late.

This is why Logan’s Loophole is actually all upside.

You don't have to engage with Bethesda's dumb scaling system. Sounds like a loophole to me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ducttape posted:

Lonesome Road will let you leave before you are finished, and at level 1 you should be able to make it far enough to get a useful perk for Ed-E, but the rest you should do after the other DLC for story reasons.

Just getting access to the Commissary is worth a quick trip in to the Divide.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You can definitely make it far enough at level 1-5 to grab a set of sweet US army combat armor, and that's pretty worth it at that stage in the game.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

aniviron posted:

You can definitely make it far enough at level 1-5 to grab a set of sweet US army combat armor, and that's pretty worth it at that stage in the game.

Plus, every time you interact the commissary has 6000 caps for you to unload your junk for.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MariusLecter posted:

Plus, every time you interact the commissary has 6000 caps for you to unload your junk for.

Makes trying to sell those gold bars a snap, gotta admit.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Hell yeah, I'm stoked to try some new Fallout New Vegas content. Experiencing stuff for the first time ever in FNV is a rare treat, especially after how abused I felt by fallout 4, so I'm glad I can do some of it inbetween beating vanilla again. Also someone on reddit manually typed me a list of like, fifty mod recommendations for things to enhance immersion and the vanilla experience, complete with links. I was gratified by his generosity until he told me to "bing" a program that would tell me about mod conflicts (getting script errors installing some things, I'm terrible at managing mods so I just gave up on those rather than forcing it and breaking everything else) and I clicked on his profile and he's a loving Nazi. I don't mean to start a discussion here I'm just feeling some kind of something about receiving a thorough and genuinely good list of mods coming from someone so awful.

Also, if anyone knows of any good nightvision mods that would be awesome, I found one but it needs unified hud which isn't updated anymore (recommend another HUD instead), the recommended one isn't compatible with the nightvision thing I don't think, and it doesn't matter because I can't install any of them anyway due to some weird script conflict.

also I remember finding dead money really frustrating before running into a room that crashed when I left and represented like a three hour gap autosave so I just quit. going into it this time I want to have repair and speech up, right, just like for OWB I'll want Science and energy weapons

Mind sharing the mod list he provided?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Immersive Whiter Ulysses v.4.0.5b

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Frog Act posted:

Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision might be what you want.

Frog Act posted:

CASM is your friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If I go to Divide with a low level character, will it lock the DLC to a lower difficulty?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision might be what you want.

CASM is your friend.

Unfortunately I already tried ARTN and got a weird script error - same with the UI mods that it needed for installation.

I get a nonsense error about script exceptions when I try to install a lot of stuff, like Flashlight/unified HUD/Night Vision.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Mind sharing the mod list he provided?

https://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/9ehg4t/best_mods_to_make_the_world_feel_more/?st=jm0n7qza&sh=1e58be9e

Anyway I beat Honest Hearts and it was definitely a ton of fun. I'm level 22 now, decent science, guns capped, repair getting close. Gonna level a little more for the gun handling perk and getting science to 100 then I'm gonna do old world blues. I never finished OWB, actually, and I don't remember much of it. Are there a bunch of dope energy weapons? I'm thinking about transitioning into them since my strength is relatively low, though I'm gonna take the handling perk so I can use most guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think what you need to do is uninstall all that, including NMM and use either FOMM or Mod Organizer and start over.