Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The Paladin Toaster is pretty hilarious in that fight too

All zipping around with my terrifying 16 Unarmed skill going through power armored gauss gun assholes in 2-3 punches

Besides it's crazy ammo usage, the pulse gun is the best against the BoS. 1 shot and anyone in power armor is going down.

I'm also liking the new traits that Lonesome Road added, taking Skilled and Good Natured with an already high intelligence puts a few of your skills over 50 right away, and most of them over 25.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I've started a new character now that I've got all the dlc maps + gun runners arsenal; doing my first hardcore playthrough, and I'm 2 str, 3 end, 6 per, 4 cha, 8 int, 7 agi, and 10 luck taking skilled and good natured, and focusing on maxing skills quickly.

With such low str guns seem like they might be a problem, what should I focus on using? I'm thinking of using Boone/Veronica for support and pursuing power armor fairly quickly, and the luck should help with money (more so before they changed the gambling odds :( )

Also besides repairing/selling items what's a good way to make money?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Make finishing Old World Blues first a priority. You'll get some perks that enhance Strength.

From what I remember OWB has a fair amount of high skill checks (science comes to mind, but speach and guns/energy weapons too) which makes doing it early somewhat unattractive

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

What about you don't get an objective until right at the end and you just float around at a loose end being a fuckhead/good human for as long as you like.

The beginning of Morrowind struck me kind of like this. While you did have an objective (go meet some guy in Balmora) it was hardly presented as urgent.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

V!ntar posted:

After much grinding I managed to get around 30000 caps, so I can buy pretty much any weapon I'd like from GRA. I picked the Bozar, and it did poo poo damage :( But I saved right before buying it, so now I can pick something else. What should it be?

Two-step goodbye

E: report back with results. After robbing the Boomers/BoS I have more than enough caps, but little unarmed skill.

vvvvv Isn't there an upgrade for a regular power fist that does much the same thing? vvvvv

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 12, 2011

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dush posted:

Billy Knight is awesome. The jokes are really well delivered. Give that VA ten dollars.

"Oh no!"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

50 Foot Ant posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

That's the one. I played for almost 3 hours straight, not a single crash, and I've got all kinds of goofy mods loaded up.

Awesome, for some reason 20 hours into my first modded game I can now no longer fast travel anywhere as I will immediately crash on the attempt. Hopefully this will fix that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

So I ended my first hardcore explosives/melee/unarmed run after finishing all the dlc, and charging Hoover Dam (still using Pushy too), and decided to try my first energy weapons/sneak build.

So far it's mega-easy. A few new things I never came across in other playthroughs: Old lady Gibson's unique Sawed-off, heading back to the Vikki & Vance long after saving Primm and encountering the NCR deserters, and finding out accidentally that if you save inside the silver rush, then steal everything while anyone can see you (so the Van Graffs go hostile), and reload your save prior to thefting stuff, all the weapons you nabbed (which are now back on the shelves) are at max condition.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

robot roll call posted:

Is there a good place to get Turbo? I think I need to cheese the hell out of this. Or 5 magazines so I can pick the train tunnel lock.

As other posters have said, hug the left cliff wall. I've done this every time and even on hard difficulty on hardcore at lvl 4 or 5 never even been crippled. Best way to do it I've found is to stop moving when shelling starts, and crouch up against the cliff. You should only have to stop twice: once before you pass the ruined houses (near a car wreck, careful it can explode), and once just past the houses (make sure the cliff is between you and the base). If you have high agility you can even skip the second hiding spot - they might get 1 shot off at you from the second volley before you're close enough that they stop firing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CrunchyTaco posted:

You're chip outta luck

Best line I'm the whole drat game :colbert:

Also I'd like to see some modder take on adding pc voiceovers for all the dialogue.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Geomancing posted:

I bought a silenced .22 pistol from Chet in Goodsprings on my latest playthrough and decided to test it out by going to do 'I Fought The Law' from the Powder Gangers in the NCR prison. Turns out that it doesn't matter if you shoot a guy in the head while he's in view of his buddies, just as long as they don't see YOU.

You bought it? He has one sitting in the glass case, just steal the fucker.

Also that kind of situation is much funnier with an unnarmed/melee approach as those weapons are considered silent. This is how I always deal with vault 3:

'Sure, I'm a Khan with drugs or something', *punches everyone to dead from behind with a powerfist*

You can even use the person you're about to kill as cover to hide behind!

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 2, 2011

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I sneak murder the hell out of Vault 3, too. It's easy and very good fun.

It is indeed! If you take out motor-runner first you can hear some of the fiends talking about how "Someone is out to get us! :tinfoil: " Which is pretty funny.

Enjoying my energy weapons build although the YCS-138 is overpowered as hell. Made Black Mountain trivially easy, so I'm thinking about strolling through Quarry Junction (think that's the name).

Also: I never realized that at the BOS store you could just steal the key off've what's-her-name behind the counter, get in there, and loot like 15k worth of caps in power-armor.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I finally got around to grabbing the signature armor/weapon mods and now I'm faced with the wracking indecision of what weapon to choose. I've started a new guns build for it, and I'm thinking along the lines of a shotgun.

However I'm also going for a sneak build which might be favored more by a scoped or silenced gun (and further, there are only 2 unique shotguns in the game - and dinnerbell is out of my reach at a low level).

Any thoughts on what to go with?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I've once again finished HH, this time with the signature weapon/armor mod, switched my sig armor over to Joshua Graham's armor (because you don't see enough denim in the wastes these days).

While in HH I had my signature weapon set to the .45 auto pistol but it seems like the bonuses don't carry over to A light Shining in Darkness (I get the 'You are no longer wielding your signature weapon' popup whenever I equip it instead of the plain old .45); I remember reading that you could use a non-unique variant of a weapon and the mods would carry over to a unique one - does it simply not work with ALSID?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Elgar posted:

I did this. But I sneak attacked every single person. So Caesar just talked with me nonchalantly and even threatened me with his Praetorians. The dudes that were all dead and lying at my feet.

I'm pretty unhappy with how you cannot stealth-kill Lucious (sp?) or Vulpes (in the fort at least) without everyone going hostile no matter what. I wanted to knife fight Caesar one on one.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I miss your LP :saddowns: Any luck on unfucking your saves?

Back on topic, something I've been wondering. Is it possible to max out your SPECIAL legitimately? Implants, Intense Training, Small Frame, Four Eyes, the Lonesome Road perk, various bonuses from clothes/headgear/other perks... I spent like ten minutes trying to work it out and then got bored :shobon:

Four eyes is a questionable one as well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Because then you wouldn't learn anything like we all had to as kids with the loving tootsie roll stars.

Holy poo poo I have to pick this up when I get out of the Sierra Madre.

It has a shelf that sorts and displays your gold bars, and does in fact have 'manequins' that you can display armor sets on.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

It's just calledUnderwater Home. It currently only supports DM DLC but someone new started work on it recently, so that is something.

Actually the one I was referring to is called the Underground Hideout and currently supports all the dlc except GRA. http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37884

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 8, 2011

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

It also comes with a teleportation gun that works despite weight limits.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

I'm about a half hour into lonesome road and this is pretty much the best DLC so far
they were all amazing, except arguably honest hearts simply because there wasn't much to do in it [joshua graham owned though]

After rocking all the dlc's a few times now I actually prefer HH to the others (with OWB as a close second due to all the hilarious sexual innuendo).

Something about the atmosphere in Zion is awesome. It would have been nice to have a few more non-cave interiors, sure, and maybe a couple more distinct npc's to interact with, but I think Obsidian struck a pretty good balance between kicking-rad exploration (getting all those viewpoints with Follows-Chalk is awesome) combat, and side-quests without any of them overstaying their welcome.

And yeah, Joshua Graham is great, although on my 3rd playthrough I must have gotten over the kickass voice-acting and actually listened to some of the crazy poo poo he was saying because I didn't quite agree with him by the end.

Also: Chaos in Zion!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Chairman Mao posted:

Also I stole his gun.

"Stole" is kind of misleading considering the Survivalist is a skeleton

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Astfgl posted:

Remember, he doesn't need the platinum chip to get to the Fort. He can do the upgrade from the Lucky 38.

This is incorrect. The *massive* army of securitrons he has stored at the fort can only be upgraded from there; the upgrade he does in Vegas only affects the securitrons in the local area (ie: the Strip).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

rope kid posted:

I'm not positive, but what should happen following an NCR/BoS alliance is a confrontation between BoS Paladins and Col. Moore regarding NCR Heavy Troopers' use of salvaged power armor. The Paladins essentially tell Moore to have the Heavy Troopers take that poo poo off immediately and hand it over. The player, naturally, has to moderate the outcome.. If that never happens, the ending slides still say that NCR hands over its suits of salvaged power armor to the BoS.

Yeah, I've mediated the BoS NCR things quite a few times and never had that discussion, but that paladin is ALWAYS there with Moore afterwards. My ending slides of those NCR runs with the BoS still in the picture never mention power armor at all.

Also: I tried putting on BoS powerarmor after getting them to join as allies and the NCR tried to kill me :saddowns:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Chairman Mao posted:

Yeah, I ended up using the knuckles I found on the Duntons for a few levels. Now I've got a handgun and a sidekick and I can finally kill stuff.

So far absolutely loving this game.

Make a bee-line south for San Francisco. Make sure you save first.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Well, it took a detour through Skyrim, Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3, some Civilization V and Arkham City, but here I am F:NV. Back again you sultry bitch. I just can't stay away. :allears:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Now with the brotherhood, if you chose to make Hardin the Elder, he doesn't give you the option at all for peace, even though he is the more open-minded of the two choices. :wtc: This is just a developer oversight and there is no excuse for this.

What? No. Hardin is more willing to leave the bunker in favor of offensive maneuvers; where did you get that he's more 'open-minded' from?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Veronica's response to this is excellent as well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mass Effect is pretty much antithesis to Fallout.

Mass Effect has it's place, but a Fallout game doesn't need the ME style. While ME3 shat the bed bigtime, I've replayed ME2 a hell of a lot of times, and F:NV an equal or greater amount. Bioware does (or used to do) great storytelling, but so does Obsidian. I guess this is jut a too long 'I agree' type post. Leave the ME type games where they belong, Fallout is better as it's own entity.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Especially since interest in Bioware has been waning ever since they decided to commit to voiced protagonists.

Maybe after DAII, but didn't ME2 sell wildly better than ME1?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

No matter what kind of character I'm playing I love being sarcastic to that guy.

"Why I'm just taking this basket of goodies to my grandmother" is great.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I loved both Honest Hearts and Dead Money. I'm having to stop myself on my current playthrough from rushing into them, I like having as many skills and attributes as high as possible for the DLC so I can get all the conversation options.

What I thought HH did right was the environmental design and set pieces. Zion was a hell of a lot of fun to just walk around and marvel at, and very little of it felt unplanned or arbitrary. However HH is somewhat anaemic in terms of npc content I thought - there are just too few people to interact with. The story is top-notch though; someone noted way way earlier in the thread that HH was the only story that really involved creating something new rather than solely trying to recreate the old world, and that rang true with me.

DM seemed to have the opposite problems to HH; I found exploring it my first time around to be confusing to the point of frustrating, and subsequent runs just came across as a slog. But there's a hell of a lot more interaction, and what's there is fantastic.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anyone care to comment on what a 'no fast-travelling' run is like?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

isndl posted:

I've been doing a hardcore no fast-travel run, and I eventually got tired of it in the late-game quests. Early to mid-game you can queue things up and finish them in chunks by area so it works OK, but the later quests tend to have you running all over the drat place just to talk to someone.

If you're a hoarder, things will suck immensely unless you can break yourself of that habit or you want to slog back to a drop-off point for your items all the drat time. The Mojave Express dropboxes are actually helpful for this (I used the Novac room most of the game as my base, there's a box right there), or you can run multiple caches as someone mentioned.

Hit-squads become very annoying, as they respawn. Novac has one north and one south for example, meaning you can't really avoid them unless you swing wide and add a lot of travel time.

If you are going to do it, I'd recommend going with limited fast travel like someone mentioned. Only along recently cleared routes, or maybe one-way to a base/safehouse, etc.

Interesting, thank you (and thanks to everyone else as well); I'm probably going to try it out, as hardcore is pointless with excessive fast-travelling (food/water are piss-easy to get this way). Also after so many playthroughs it feels like I'm playing around in some kind of bizzarre excell spreadsheet.

As for a character I'm thinking something like a tribal that for some reason loves energy weapons (how this excuses magic teleportation I don't know, but I'm gonna run with it).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bilal posted:

The only reason I play with Hardcore mode on is so that ammunition has weight. Otherwise, you'd have effectively unlimited ammo. Hunger and thirst in NV is just so inconsequential. And sleep deprivation? Never once, not in the entire 280 hours I've put into NV, have I ever, ever, ever, had the sleep meter go above like 100. I don't know if that's a bug or what. I barely even sleep in game.

I found Project Nevada really kicked up the hunger/thirst/sleep rates well, to the point where not having fast-travel would make them somewhat of an actual burden (other than making you find a bed once every 3 days). I'm pretty sure the rates are even adjustable if you want them to be really brutal.

And yeah, I've got increased spawns already, so that should make it less of a ghost desert after a couple trips. Additionally, Project Reality's rad-storms are kickass; I had no idea what I was in for when that first set of air-raid sirens went off.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Sounds like your brain's an idiot.

How does your brain work?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

This is me! I was expecting something even worse than the giant robo scorpion and was pleasantly surprised by a schizophrenic junkie with a heart of gold and a head full of raisans.

:colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Question - I'm in New Vegas, and I really want to (A) go on an adventure and kill poo poo and (B) run up to monsters and punch them into giblets. But everyone keeps giving me quests where I have to talk to people! Boo!*

So I have two questions:

1: What quest should I start, or where should I head for (A)? I've done most of the quests leading up to NV, as far as I can tell.
2: How do I get the shotgun punch gloves to facilitate (B)?

*They're actually great quests, and it's a wonderful game. I'm just up for something long and straightforward, like a fort full of slavers or something.

Go southwest - west of Vegas, find Vault 3.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Can't help you with that, but you could download the signature armor mod from here, get the signature weapon mod while you're at it too!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm thinking of starting a new character with some kind of extremely restrictive theme, ie: only uses one type (or one particular) weapon, wears one specific outfit (using signature weapon/armor), and concentrates on a particular skillset and behavioral attitude - (hordes a specific item, irrationally murders X group, etc.) any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Recompense of the Fallen, NCR Ranger Armour, collects Legion ears. Fill a bathtub with said ears.

Hmm... rolling into Cottonwood cove with Boone is always fun...