Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
If there were never more video games made and I could only play one game forever it would be New Vegas. I can't wait to get home and play Old World Blues tonight, Honest Hearts and Dead Money were awesome even though they've leveled me from 20 to like 28 really rapidly.

I just wanted to have a gush on the first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Omnicarus posted:

Between FO:NV and Civ V I haven't bought a non-DLC game in almost a year :ohdear:

I buy other games only to quit them halfway through and head back to New Vegas.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

This too, and also no fanart. Thanks for not being the Mass Effect thread and ruining it for non-creeps, New Vegas fans!

Fallout seems to attract a different class of game player. A better class of game player :chord:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Counterpoint the entire FO3/FO:NV nexus community

As soon as I hit post I remembered that NMA exists.

Wanted to post Fallout: New Vegas v Planet of the Apes here but I can't find the image :(

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Did that with Deus Ex. Should finish it soon.

New Vegas ruined DXR for me because I rushed DXR so I could get back to playing Fallout.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Doug Lombardi posted:

NMA was 100% correct about Fallout 3 and they liked Fallout: New Vegas so I don't get the criticism.

The vitriol was ridiculous.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I didn't enjoy FO3 nearly as much as New Vegas, but I still gave it two playthroughs and had fun with it for what it was. It did have a few really cool elements and the Washington ruins were pretty well realised.

It all bodes well for TES: New Rohan.

e: I'm really sorry I made a joke about NMA now.

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 26, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Zilkin posted:

Well I bought it, was even wrong about the price, the game + DLCs was only 60 euros, not 70 :v: Anyway if this game really is a lot better than Fallout 3, which I also liked, that money should be well spent.

I don't want to pump it up, but it's a lot better and you will have a loads of fun so long as you are true to Caesar.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Fallout 3 has Liam Neeson as your dad. There it cannot by any metric be bad.

That said, New Vegas is still better.

True. Though I remember being on blackout for FO3 (I wanted it to be great and needed to avoid the hate) and when I started it up I was like "woah that's Liam Neeson." It was unfortunate though because the rest of the game couldn't really live up to Liam Neeson being my surprise dad.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because it's not an objectively bad game. Not doing what you (not you specifically) wanted the game to do does not make it bad.

I agree. If it was branded something other than Fallout it would have been a 7-9 depending on the source of the review and people would have just moved on. I get that people love the Fallout brand though, so even a pretty good game with pretty good stuff was going to get attacked.

Anyways how about that Fallout: New Vegas game? That was a great game. I'm still playing it!

Jerusalem posted:

I did not come to this thread to praise Caesar!

On the cross with you buddy.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I just wanted the XP, I'll always gently caress over everyone in the end :clint:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I often end up working with the Brotherhood of Steel because:
a) they have a cool name
b) they have cool gear and
c) I'm a selfish shithead.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Anou posted:

So, in Fallout 2, you could beeline to San Francisco and Navarro straight from the Arroyo and grab the Power Armor and the high powered weapons. I was thinking of the New Vegas equivalent to that kind of blatant powergaming.

What I got was:

9 Intelligence and 9 luck at the beginning and tag lockpick to crack the safe in the school to pick up the stealthboy.

Stealthboy? Just hug the rocks on the right and it's pie. I did it with 13 sneak and just ran screaming most of the way to Vegas. I saw a giant ant in a barn, scared the poo poo out of me!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Anou posted:

Huh, I never knew that. I guess the 9 intelligence / 9 luck is unnecessary too if you don't really care that much about skill points. All you need is somewhat high luck (I'd say 7+) to make the Blackjack games not an exercise in frustration.

I went with luck 10 so I could double down on a twenty and pull an ace :v:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Throw Cass some good armour and let the good times commence!

I walked in there and those smug loving Van Graffs were probably still thinking how it was funny that I used something as quaint as a hand gun. Probably thought they'd found a real sucker, bringing in Cass and then getting all upset they were going to kill her. Couple of dumb chumps. Every idiot knows laser and plasma poo poo is the best, it goes without saying! Energy weapons skill for life, that's the Van Graff way.

Then I pulled out a grenade machine gun.

Explosives bitches :clint:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

100 guns and my anti-materiel rifle still isn't phasing them. :negative:

Explosives forever.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I'm seriously having so much fun right now. I've got A Light Shining in the Darkness and it has changed my brain. I accidentally left Ed-E and Cass at the fort while doing some poo poo for House which had made the Legion hostile towards me. So I had to go back into hostile Legion territory to get my robot and my lady friend back. Donning Josh Graham's armour and .45 I thought to myself, "is this what it's going to come down to" as my careful machinations to play the sides off against each other unravelled.

I fought my way to the peak, A Light Shining in the Darkness doing just that, Legionaries were illuminated by the vengeful return of Joshua Graham's avatar in the waste. Ed-E and Cass were all right on top of the hill, blasting away when I got there. We hit Caesar's tent and my grenade launcher obliterated everything in sight thanks to the Boomers, from whom I had liberated a large number of missiles and 40mm grenades before killing their leaders and ineffectively firing a sniper rifle at their children just to make sure...

The Brotherhood, who had made me their honourary brother and their close friend, found me arrive in the very power armour they had gifted to me for my meritorious service. They bid me hello but as they raised a hand in salute they found themselves awash in high explosive fury. The zealots died in droves before I annihilated their bunker, ridding my wastes of yet another threat to the perfect harmony that was to come.

I returned to Vegas and put a .45 round into House. This is my town now.

I have set off into the hills, I believe a tribe called the Khans take refuge there.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

you can release companions to go back to the 38 if you go to the terminal built into the side of the gun runners :ssh:

I was telling a cool story, thanks rear end in a top hat.

Also, I did not know that terminal could do it remotely... I always wondered what the gently caress the point of that thing was.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

By the end of the game, I was rolling in full Brotherhood Power Armor, carrying the Inversional Protonic Axe, and had basically all the perks related to melee, including the knockdown one, the stonewall one, Piercing Strike, etc. I was pretty much running up to people as they emptied a full clip into me to no effect, and then one swing would cause severed body parts to go flying everywhere. I essentially turned into a horror movie monster. This game is fantastic.

I've got Pushy and 95 melee + perks. Every now and then I decide I just want to be scary death God that punches things and sends them flying hundreds of yards.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

ComradeCasey posted:

Hrmm yes fanfics goonsire post more!!

Actually the fanfics are fun since it's a game where people enjoy playing their own dude with their own idea of what their character used to be. Most of the thread's probably enjoying the pics of other people's guys and hearing about fun poo poo they've done or stupid things the game has tried to do to then. Maybe cheer up a little bit.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They're really awful and embarrassing. No offence to the folks who came up with fleshed out lives for the pretend people.

This is the whole point of giving the character no discernible background outside of "is a courier."

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

When a game immediately asks me what type of dude I am with specific questions about my ability as well as my personality (which the Doc does) I sort of think "why is this guy like this." That's half the fun of an RPG.

I've never played a pen and paper RPG because I don't have any friends who would do that kind of poo poo, but the character creation aspects sound really neat.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

All my guys have low int and charisma because I want to know how people who aren't me feel.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I had fun once, it was terrible.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Cleaning out the Sierra Madre and buying a lifetime supply of buffout and stimpacks is the only way to play. Thanks Luck 10!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about brutally murdering every faction in the game that didn't have something tangible to offer my utopian New Vegas. Basically not offering something tangible has gone from originally being hostile or morally offensive to being vaguely threatening to having a heart beat.

This thousand year robot reich had better be worth all the heart ache.

I just saved the president and as his vertibird left I killed all the NCR present. They were cowering, I shot them in the back with A Light Shining in the Darkness one by one. What have I become, I just wanted to make a little money in the beginning. How did it come to this!?

J Bjelke-Postersen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 27, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

My current endgame is pretty much ED-E picking up the robot times and bringing it to me while I sit on the Lucky 38 steps in a rocking chair spinning my .45 with Cass inside making me some lemonade pumped full of Jet.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I just started Old World Blues last night and :psyduck:

It's like I fell into an episode of Futurama and I love it. I sure am glad I had to patience to sit through all of the dialog at the beginning though.

OK I just bought the first 2 DLCs, wanted to take a break and now I'm buying this. Thanks for nothing.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I sort of rushed the first two and will do them again. I'll really go through OWB with a fine tooth comb seeing as everyone rants on about it being the poo poo.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I'm about 5 minutes into OWB and this is the best DLC ever already. Just wanted to come in and let your guys know.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Dead money would have been more fun if there weren't so many loving bear traps that blend in with the brown and purple environment all over the drat place. It makes the Light Step perk almost mandatory. :argh:

My favourite parts were running through the mist frantically and hearing SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP as I went and coming out the other side with 30hp and busted up legs.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I am genuinely afraid of the toaster in OWB.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I'm so glad my home appliances don't have emotional/psychological issues like all the poo poo in this apartment.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

Look inside your [new vegas folder]\data\music\special folder if you're on PC.

This is cool, thanks *spits out a hundred wonderglues*

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Just cobbled together 400 rounds of .45 Super Hand Load. Oh yeahhhhh.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

The best was Megaton coming for revenge and just casually gunning them down without breaking a sweat. Idiots.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

They look soooooo pretty at night.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Radiation.

edit: alternatively, a Radioactive wizard did it.

Actually I think the answer you are looking for is SCIENCE!

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Go the Pyromaniac route, but instead of Gehenna, rock a Saturnine Fist Super Heated. Then toss in Paralyzing Palm and the other tasty unarmed only goodies for good measure.

Watch poo poo die.

Does paralysing palm work while you are using glove weapons?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Bobfly posted:

So... I just got this game, and now I'm in the process of dreaming up a character concept. I really like the concept of the cowboy perk, but I was also thinking about a NINJER! build of mostly stealth, melee weapons and light armour. How idiotic is this on a scale from 1 to 10?

You can definitely do this, light armour like Sierra Madre Security and Josh Graham's give you high DT on light armour. You'll want to hook up guns or energy weapons for killing stuff like Deathclaws though. Maybe incorporate guns and be a sniper ninja?