Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

SeanBeansShako posted:

My best friend is an idiot who still won't play Fallout New Vegas for PC or X-Box 360.

He still is thinking like a fifteen year old and that FF7 (top notch JRPG, but come ON!) is the best RPG ever maaaaan. Weirdest thing is he saw the trailers for this game and got all pumped up then lost interest.

I wish I had a best friend who liked this game as much as me :smith:.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought this game brand new at release prices for a friend of mine who isn't a hardcore gamer but loves pc RPGs (Arcanum is his favorite game ever). He played for about five minutes and then said he was too confused to continue and never even attempted to play it again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
So I've always been kind of bad at designing a SPECIAL build in this game and pretty much always end up with 9 int and everything else at 5 but I want to play through as a Unarmed dude. I'm using the XFO mod and have the SPECIAL changes enabled, can anyone give me a SPECIAL layout for melee? Preferably something that doesn't drop int super low because I love skillpoints, but especially with every stat being a much bigger deal I'm kind of lost.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 2, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I just completed Honest Hearts and thought it was pretty cool, I had fun the whole way through and I really liked the zone, but it felt disappointingly short. A big step up from Dead Money, which I didn't at all like. I started OWB but I just can't get in to it, I know the Fallout universe is pretty goofy and out-there but OWB is a little too goofy and out-there for me and it just feels like the whole thing doesn't really belong in the Fallout universe or fit in with the rest of the game. Does this get better past the first hour or so or should I just load a save prior to entering and move on to Lonesome Road if I'm not enjoying it at this point?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I really disliked DM for a number of reasons. First, the setting wasn't different enough from the base game to make it feel fresh or unique. The interiors could have been wholesale ripped from other parts of the game and I don't think it would look any different.

The red clouds were just annoying and unnecessary, I get their existence from a lore/backstory perspective but mechanically they only served to discourage exploration. The enemies were pretty horrible, the whole gimmick where they come back to life if you don't butcher their corpses was entirely pointless and just added a few extra seconds to the time you spend looting (cutting a limb off after shooting it down). It's entirely possible that I totally missed a lot of it because I felt like it really didn't want me to explore at all (red clouds coupled with incredibly little to find), but it seemed linear as gently caress.

The security holograms were by far the worst part of the entire thing, though. I didn't have high enough Repair or Science or whatever's needed to shut them down which forced me to play Metal Gear Solid. Invincible enemies that you need to sneak past are never fun in any game and this is totally not a game I would ever expect forced stealth segments in.

The characters (aside from God and Dean, who were awesome) were pretty lackluster and there was no cool loot to find.

HH on the other hand gave me a decent sized map to explore, lots of cool poo poo to find, more varied enemies that weren't annoying to fight, some cool loot, and the awesome Survivalist stuff to read through. There weren't really any cool characters besides Graham but DM wasn't much better off in that regard.

I plan to play through HH on subsequent playthroughs but I can't see myself ever touching DM again.

Edit: And I forgot the loving radios. What an annoying piece of poo poo gimmick that was. I take back what I said about Security Holograms being the worst part, Radios were even worse.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 9, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Has anyone tried out the Badass Wasteland Restoration Mod for FO3? It looks like it would totally change the ambiance of FO3 in to something much different, I like the idea of fighting through a 'living' wasteland instead of a 'dead' wasteland. Does it look as good in-game as it does in the screenshots?

I'd just download it and check it out but my copy of FO3 is on 360, though my recent re-playthrough of New Vegas is making me kind of want to pick it up on PC and mod it.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I'm still exploring Vanilla and I just made a retired old vet who was trying to do the right thing commit suicide, now I feel like poo poo.

The rear end in a top hat options in New Vegas honestly make me feel really bad and I've never been able to play a dick character because of it :( I've played through like three or four times now and it's been a goody-goody character every time.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I want the next Fallout to return to isometric, or something similar.

I was going to disagree with this because I actually think that the jump to first person helped immersion and atmosphere immensely, but then I realized they could just do it DA:O style where you can freely switch between isometric and first person exploration, with the combat switching between turn-based or realtime appropriately. That would be pretty cool. Hell, give me first person exploration and whenever combat starts zoom me out to an isometric view and give me classic turn-based Fallout battles.

Edit: All I really want out of the next fallout is more of the same in a better engine. New Vegas is to me what Deus Ex is to a lot of goons, I think it's literally my favorite videogame of all time.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 12, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I'd be interested in seeing what's up with the Legion in Arizona. It'd be a pretty good setting that would provide some varied locales while still keeping with the OG Fallout Southwestern US vibe. If they threw in some areas like the Mogollon Rim you could have your lush green forest (it would look a lot like the northwest part of New Vegas where the super mutants have taken over that lodge, I forget the name of it, but larger) and you could also have plenty of open desert wasteland, plus there would be some drop-dead gorgeous scenic vistas. There are also a lot of small communities around Arizona with only a few dozen residents at most that would make the transition well to small survivor-towns in the postapocalyptic wasteland.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Galewolf posted:

I like playing the game without it and only plan a single run just to get over it. I always thought Fallout 2 went overboard with zany stuff and it is great that we have an option to shut it down (but also be able to play).

As everyone else has said the Wild Wasteland stuff doesn't really make the game any zanier. It's almost entirely just references to things in other media and a lot of it is worth a chuckle without being overbearingly goofy.

I've never played without it, though, just because Skilled is the only trait I like.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
For some reason, I always had the idea in my mind that Fallout Tactics was a horrible mess but I never actually played it. I've been seeing a lot of talk about it in this thread, and I really love strategy RPGs, is it actually a good game?

I understand that it has some flaws but is it fun despite them?

Edit: Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked multiple times before but I can't search :(

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I just started an Energy Weapons playthrough and I'm having a lot of trouble finding ammo early. I've been using a Recharger Rifle as my main weapon because I just can't find enough drat Energy Cells to make use of my Plasma Defender :argh:

I just stole everything out of every locker in the Hidden Valley bunker which gave me a few hundred, but are there any shops that sell particularly large amounts of Energy Cells? Every shop I've seen only have like 15-20 in stock at any given time. The Silver Rush doesn't even have any at all for sale even though they're on the shelves on the wall. I could steal them by moving them in to another room and then looting but I'm trying to play through without using any glitches or exploits or cheats whatsoever.

I've never played Energy Weapons before or really even paid attention to where I found lots of energy ammo, OWB is the only place that I can think of but I'm currently only level 6 and I don't know if I could handle nightstalkers and roboscorpions yet. Especially since this is a combat-lite character and I've been relying on ED-E and Boone so far (since I can't find any drat energy cells :argh: )

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 18, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Cowcaster posted:

As always I recommend discovering the RepConn HQ as soon as possible (the one south of Freeside, not near Novac). Once you clean that place out you'll be set on energy weapon ammo for life.

Thanks for this, it made my life much easier. I was hoping for a truckload of Energy Cells since I really like the way the Plasma Defender looks and wanted to use it as my main weapon, but between the Q-35 and the ~1300 MF Cells I found I think I'll be fine.

Also thanks to whoever answered my question about Fallout Tactics a few days ago. I grabbed it on GOG and I'm having a lot of fun, it's right up my alley and I can't believe I spent the last 10 years ignoring it because I thought it was bad for some reason.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
the Multiplas Rifle kind of feels like an energy shotgun to me.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

toadee posted:

Thanks to all, I went a bit farther in and yah, just not my thing. I can see why people would like it though, if you're into that sort of setting it seems well done. Are the rest of the DLC radically different/more traditionally Falloutish?

There's a mod on Nexus which lets you skip Dead Money and get any of the rewards/achievements/etc that you want.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

robot roll call posted:

I think the point is someone is just going to take his place.

Yeah, the impression I always got from it is that Caesar's already falling and he probably didn't have long left as the head of the Legion anyway - the legion officer that you interrogate at Camp McCarren mentions that Caesar is becoming weak and indecisive and it's not a stretch to imagine that he's not the only Legionnaire with this perspective.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

redmercer posted:

So I just loaded an old save to get out of Dead Money. Is Old World Blues viable for a dumb puncher, or should I wait for a smart-shooty playthrough?

I've never played a melee character, but OWB at least has some cool Unarmed weapons you can use.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Astroturf Man posted:

Take Logan's Loophole as a character trait and take the drugs. All the drugs.

Counterpoint: Take all of the drugs without taking Logan's Loophole. :colbert:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
One thing that you guys seem to be forgetting about Skyrim is that your "no" answer is "Close the dialog window" - you can close a dialog window at any time, you're not trapped in to saying "yes" to everything. You can either say "yes" or you can exit the conversation and walk away (or kill them).

It's not quite as immersive as New Vegas but let's face it, did anyone actually expect any new CRPG to be better than New Vegas?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I actually kind of wish New Vegas was my first Fallout game because I feel like it was the best "game" out of all of them (1 and 2 were better in some ways, but I wouldn't say that they were better "games")

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Jerusalem posted:

I'd say there is about a 99% chance there will be, the only thing potentially holding it back is the release of the Ultimate Edition which they may be hoping to make extra sales from.

Even if it's not going on sale, it's worth waiting for the Ultimate edition to release, because it will probably be cheaper than buying the game+all DLC at full price currently.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

lizzyinthesky posted:

The bitch deserved it for what she did. Of course I should have bought the room first but still.

You can still get the room after she's gone. I'm not sure how, exactly, I think just by having high enough rep with Novac.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Brandy Alexander posted:

What's with all the FO3 hate? It's an amazing game, is it just that NV is so much better?

Yeah, pretty much. NV did everything better than FO3 did. I liked FO3 enough to beat it, but after playing NV I could never go back to FO3.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Is there a goon-supported New Vegas Modpack? I played the hell out of the game on 360 and a goon kindly gifted it to me on Steam during the last sale so I'd like to play with as many mods as possible. Should I start putting things together on my own or is there a pre-existing pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

redmercer posted:

Fallout: New Vegas might be the first CRPG that actually makes me feel like playing a role.

I know how you feel. I had a total "oh poo poo" moment once when I was walking around outside of Vegas and realized that I actually felt like I was walking around outside a bombed-out Vegas instead of playing a game. It's the most immersive game I've ever played and actually makes me feel like a part of the world in a way that no game before or since has managed to.