Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

I like having an updated OP, but I take issue with the statement that there's no useless perks. I mean can anyone really justify taking Retention? Or Entomologist now that we don't have to deal with FO3's albino radscorpions? And all of the radiation related perks, pretty much, since rad-away is generally plentiful and the ones that give benefit for radiation are never worth it. And the ones that allow you to redo broken locks/ computers. And the one that makes nightstalker squeezins give bonuses because honestly by level 20 you're not gonna see a nightstalker again unless you're exploring all the caves/ doing Lily's quest.

Yeah, there's still alot of useless perks. I usually pick Intense Training to qualify for better perks if I can't get anything good at a particular level.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dead money would have been more fun if there weren't so many loving bear traps that blend in with the brown and purple environment all over the drat place. It makes the Light Step perk almost mandatory. :argh:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I decided to start over on account of poor perk choices (took Intense Training too many times) and the fact the Charisma doesn't do squat for DLCs. I bought the Courier Stash and Gun Runner Arsenal DLCs and let me you tell you, Courier Stash makes things alot easier by starting you off with some fully repaired weapons and armor, I am one-shotting the geckos with the Weathered 10mm pistol. I also find it funny how the "Weathered" version looks shinier and newer than the regular 10mm pistols lying around.

I tired doing Dead Money at Level 32, but the Ghost People have way too many HP at that point and crappy weapons they give you don't scale in damage. Considering doing it as soon as I get Light Step, there's way too many loving camouflaged bear traps to go without it. Getting my legs crippled all the time sucks. Also going to deal with Father Elijah in the most satisfying way, with a shotgun blast to the face, assuming I find a shotgun there. My characters in all games do not negotiate or sympathize with their captors.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 29, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How useful would the Junk Rounds perk be in Dead Money? Seeing as you don't have access to your uber gear there, being able to make some extra bullets out of all the random tin cans lying about could be useful.

While we're on the subject, what would be an ideal build for Dead Money? I'm guessing you'll need Melee Weapons or Unarmed since ammo is scarce. A low level might also help to prevent the enemies from being bullet sponges. There's bear traps all over the place so you'll either need the Light Step Perk or a gently caress-ton of Doctor Bags, or just be really careful where you step.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 29, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Star Guarded posted:

Is there any way to reduce crashing? It used to never crash but now that I'm around level 32 and have completed all of the DLCs besides Lonesome Road, the game crashes probably every 3-5 times I transition into a new area (i.e.: goes into the loading screen and crashes). Is it like Oblivion and I left too many doors open or something?

It will crash alot just because Gamebyro is a crappy engine. There are a couple things you can do to reduce crashing and make it less painful when it happens however:

Turn off autosave and resist the urge to quicksave every five seconds. For some reason the game crashes more often if you do so. Turning off the Steam cloud will also help. Manually save or use one of those autosaving mods. If you're gonna fast travel or enter a new location, do a manual save beforehand. At least if it crashes you won't lose progress. Having too many saves will also cause the game to crash often. Keep about 5-10 manual saves and never overwrite the old ones, save in new slots and delete the one ones.

Following these steps should go a long way in reducing the amount of crashes, plus it'll make the game slightly more challenging. Or just live with the crashes and pretend it's the Courier having a stroke and temporary memory loss. You did get shot in the head, after all. :commissar:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Leinadi posted:

Anyways, the Riot Shotgun is probably one of my favorite guns. If you couple it with the "Stay Back" perk, it's just glorious. Especially since the Riot Shotgun has like zero recoil, you get this really nice sense of being a unstoppable terminator, just moving ahead and shooting people while they fly around, unable to withstand the barrage.

Don't forget the Shotgun Surgeon perk as well. They go flying and you rape their DT.
I love the Riot Shotgun, fast rate of fire, great damage, versatility with the various ammo types, and is utter rape with the shotgun-based perks. Plus it sounds awesome. Real fun to engage a group of baddies and go *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM* and watch the bodies fly. I really wished they included the Pancor Jackhammer in this game even if it really didn't fit in the Fallout universe, and I'm really disappointed that there's no GRA shotguns.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Are there any mods to reduce the amount of XP you get from killing enemies? You see, I have a problem with the level cap. Sure, 50 is a pretty high level, but you can reach it pretty quickly if you do all the DLCs since the enemies there always give 50 XP a pop. I want to do the DLCs, but I also want to explore the Mojave and I lose motivation once I hit the level cap. I like getting XP, but also I like exploring, and at the normal rate, if I do all the DLCs, chances are likely I'll hit the level cap or get pretty close to it once I finish them, and I'll haven't explored the rest of the main area. Now, I could ignore the DLCs, but seeing as how I paid about $40 for them, I would like to see their content. This is a huge game and the level cap is a real downer.

I do have an interesting workaround that might work well, I pick Logan's Loophole and Skilled as my traits, then ignore the DLCs until I either get Jury Rigging or I hit level 30, which you are capped at with Logan's Loophole. Then do DLCs and not level up quickly, plus avoid extreme scaling of enemies, finish all DLCs, and then head back to Big MT and use the Auto-Doc to swap Logan's Loophole for something else, like maybe Built to Destroy.

Now, if there are any mods to reduce XP gain or remove the level cap, please let me know.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is the independent ending really the best? I was considering going pro-NCR but then I realized that they're stretched too thin and very bureaucratic, and most of the reasons the Great War happened was due to government gently caress-ups, how would I know if history won't repeat itself if NCR is in charge? Obviously Caesar's Legion is worse, they would just enslave everyone and let's face it, I shoot those football-pad wearing cosplayers on sight due to how horrid their crimes are and how stupid they look. Guess who I'm going to nuke in Lonesome Road?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Where should the next Fallout game take place? I wouldn't mind it taking place in Florida. It's a pretty weird state to begin with, so all sorts of wacky post-apocalyptic stuff could happen there. You would also get to explore beaches turned to glass and the ruins of Disney World. It could be like Fountain of Dreams, except good.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

jvempire posted:

Another odd event in the wastes is when monsters crawl into the ground to hide from the onslaught of Boone.

Yeah, I noticed that glitch too. It's real annoying when I want to fast travel but I can't because a bark scorpion decided to bury itself in the sand and me and my companions are going ape-poo poo wasting ammo trying to kill it so I could warp to my destination.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I started Lonesome Road. Riot Gear is easily the best looking armor.

Boone's looking pretty snazzy in it too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Holy crap, the Courier's Mile. Do not go there unless you have a high red resist and plenty of Rad-X and Radaway.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Agreed posted:

Man, I can't wait to actually play through the DLC and finish the game. Work has been nuts... Will continue to be nuts, I'm sure. But I've managed to adjust my habits lately such that I've got some time cordoned off for just enjoying something for an hour or two a day. All I've really been able to do with New Vegas in particular since getting the new computer is load it up a few times and do a few things, mainly to :aaaaa: at how cool New Vegas on an SSD is. Transitions between cells are completely seamless, it now plays like you'd expect it to on modern hardware. Most games get some benefit loading from an SSD, but not much; still, I watch Newegg for deals on them and have found that direct comparisons show that games are I/O bound enough at loading, given modern hardware otherwise (Sandy Bridge is loving fast, basically), that they do enjoy if nothing else some benefits in loading time with an SSD.

Since I could never get large address aware stable on my installation, even though it's been fully migrated twice and still works fine without crashing otherwise, moving to the SSD turned it from being annoyingly noticeable when it was loading new stuff because of its pretty outdated engine to being super smooth at all times. I think HDD thrashing causes way more issues for this game than anything else at this point, if anyone has an SSD I can vouch that it'll migrate quite happily and the removal of noticeable I/O is a hell of an improvement.

My previous computer walked all over the recommended specifications, the new one is a hell of a lot faster than the old one, but definitely moving it to an SSD was the biggest improvement. Not necessary by any means, but a biiig jump in the seamlessness of everything compared to even a fast HDD. I think I'm about 65% through the main quest, I've got leveling slowed down substantially and I'm trying to see and do all that I can with a NCR run. Can't wait to dig into the DLC. Everything I've read about it seems to indicate this is really good usage of the idea of DLC. I am amazed my installation has remained stable through two migrations (one from the old to the new computer, then when I got a great deal on a second SSD, moving it all again to the SSD). Considering Gamebryo is not known for stability and Obsidian isn't either, I'm pleased by the fact that despite extraordinary circumstances I haven't had any crashing at all in many hours of gameplay. The many-saves mod feels more like convenience than necessity, which was not the case at all for Fallout 3. Cool.

Does moving it to a SSD reduce the amount of crashing? Since it crashes mostly on transitions or fast traveling, I'm guessing it may have I/O issues with standard hard drives. I would love to get a SSD, but they're so expensive.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

At least you don't get good/bad karma for killing NCR/Legion NPCs (even though I still firmly believe any faction who enslave people and set women's rights back a thousand years are clearly evil). It really hits the message of a grey and grey morality.

I guess if you really want bad karma, just steal a bunch of poo poo and eat people. Or don't even bother, Karma is useless in this game except to qualify for certain Level 50 perks, and by the time you hit that level, you're pretty much already a demigod.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Anyone else find Energy Weapons boring? Guns are alot more fun to use.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Geomancing posted:

I'm getting seriously pissed at the Legendary Assassins that Caesar is constantly sending after me. I'm all of level 11 and I have guys with Super Sledges and Thermic Lances on my rear end, so constantly that I finally just started using the console to 'disable' them. I did that to FIVE groups of four assassins each going from Wolfhorn Ranch to just north of Novac. Every quarter of a mile I get 'THE CAESAR HAS MARKED YOU FOR DEATH!' and it's yet another bunch of overpowered, heavily armored assholes I can only kill by chugging chems like I'm at a rave. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be, they were NEVER this common before, and not as high level either.

Bring Boone along or wear NCR armor. They'll shoot on sight instead of sneaking up on you and initiating combat. I look forward for those assholes to show up because that means easy loot to fix my gear and to sell for caps.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I kinda want to do a cowboy build too. I guess it's because of the Wild West vibe the game gives. I mean, you've got all those cowboy hats, the desert, the Survival skill, and all those lever action guns and revolvers.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I just realized the symbolism of the number 21 and why you get a Vault 21 jumpsuit and why the Yes Man Duster has the number 21 on it, and why Vault 21 settled all their problems with gambling. 21 is the highest value you can get in Blackjack without busting. :aaaaa:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

JawKnee posted:

I've started a new character now that I've got all the dlc maps + gun runners arsenal; doing my first hardcore playthrough, and I'm 2 str, 3 end, 6 per, 4 cha, 8 int, 7 agi, and 10 luck taking skilled and good natured, and focusing on maxing skills quickly.

With such low str guns seem like they might be a problem, what should I focus on using? I'm thinking of using Boone/Veronica for support and pursuing power armor fairly quickly, and the luck should help with money (more so before they changed the gambling odds :( )

Also besides repairing/selling items what's a good way to make money?

Make finishing Old World Blues first a priority. You'll get some perks that enhance Strength.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

My main problem is that I bring way too much ammo with me. Both my companions' inventories are filled with various calibers and about 75% of my weight is ammunition. Probably should stay away from ammo guzzlers like miniguns and assault rifles and stick with high damage per shot weapons like rifles instead. Even then though, rounds for the Anti-Material Rifle are like half a pound each.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Who cares how goofy the Legion are, just shoot them all.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ddraig posted:

High charisma and have your companions do your killing.

Hey, technically you didn't kill anyone :smug:

With my Charisma of 7, Boone and ED-E pretty much kill anything before I can even see the enemies or before I can draw my weapon. drat kill-stealers! :argh:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, Courier's Stash is pretty broken because it gives you all those fully repaired weapons and armor. If you don't want to use them, just toss the items off a cliff or something.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How viable would an explosives only run be? The only thing I'm guessing you should look out for is friendlies getting caught in your explosions.

Also, I might add that Esther+Big Kid nuke+100 Explosives Skill+Splash Damage = One nuked Courier. No matter have far away I fire the thing, I always end up crippling my legs and lose 50-75% of my HP.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 11, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what are the tips for fighting that gigantic gently caress off Deathclaw in TLR?

Riot Shotgun with Shotgun Surgeon and And Stay Back! perks. Deathclaws can't do poo poo when turned into helpless ragdolls.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

While I love my Ulysses and NCR Courier Dusters, I wish they came with sleeves.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Not to sound like a jerk, but I never understood why people insist on using SLI/Crossfire setups when so many games have so many problems with them. The money used to buy an extra videocard and specialized motherboard could be been better spent towards a more powerful CPU and GPU. Of course, I don't use AA, because at high enough resolutions, the jaggies aren't even noticeable.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 16, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I hated Dead Money just because of the bomb collar. My characters are not someone else's bitch. Anyone who attempts to do so will get a Power Fist or shotgun blast to the face. :fuckoff:

I will gladly do whatever stupid Fed-Ex quests you want me to do, just don't enslave me and force me to do it.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 16, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

All I want for Fallout 4 is a working vehicle you can drive, walking/fast traveling everywhere gets old fast. I'm also surprised that there's a lack of ramshackle, jury-rigged, Mad Max style vehicles. You'd think that someone out there would be able to fix those old cars rusting away.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

You can get a restored Chrysalus in Fallout 2.

I know, and it was awesome. Though kinda weird, since your character is a tribal. Where did the Chosen One learn to drive? :iiam:

Actually character progression is so weird in Fallout 2. You go from a primitive savage all the way up to a power-armored badass who can easily hack computers and has more scientific knowledge than all the gameworld's scientists' combined, and you can do this in less than 10mins if you know what to do.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

randombattle posted:

How hard is to drive when there is no traffic or road laws to worry about. The only thing he needs to do is gas pedal = go and don't hit rock.

Good point, and I do think you accidentally run over a ghoul in a random event.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Cass is alright, but Raul can be a total killing machine.

What weapons is Raul good with? I'm guessing weapons that are affected by the Cowboy perk?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

VATS is awesome for wading into a group of raiders and power-fisting them away like you are Neo from the Matrix.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Coolio posted:

The Logan's Loophole trait is the best trait in the game because it prevents you from turning every enemy into huge hp sponges just because you keep getting experience. It also gives some awesome bonuses (note that the drug duration extension applies to every consumable, whoops). Level 30 is more than enough to max out every worthwhile skill and get all the worthwhile perks.

OWB is really obnoxious when with 100 melee and all the relevant perks it still takes like five or six swings of a proton axe to kill a single robo scoropion. Also being unable to kill Lonesome Road enemies with a fully upgraded Red Glare and 100 explosives.

Don't forgot Skilled, which give +5 to all skills but reduces xp gain by 10%

Haven't touched New Vegas in a long time, Skyrim and my 3DS have been eating up my precious free time lately.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

physeter posted:

Been trying to come up with a good build for my next play and I've decided on Myron from FO2. I have his SPECIAL but does anyone know his tag skills?

Energy weapons, science and medicine probably.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Synonymous posted:

I finally got OWB working and holy poo poo it's my favourite DLC of them all so far (just starting Lonesome Road then I'll have completed all of them). Boros is loving amazing, someone compared him to an old sci-fi narrator and that's perfect. I mostly went through it Salt-Upon-Wounds fisting everyone to death, why have I not built an Unarmed/Melee bruiser yet? Punch robots in the face erryday.

It helps that OWB has some very awesome melee and unarmed weapons, I was so happy when I got my hands on a Proton Axe, it was like playing Wasteland all over again. :allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Fallout in Florida would be pretty cool.

Visit Disneyland and meet a cult who worships Mickey!
Explore the Everglades! (remember to bring a radiation suit!)
Fight mutant alligators that make Deathclaws look tame in comparison!
Fight off Killer Clowns!
Find the Fountain of Dreams!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I believe it does, yes. Now where did I leave that .gif from TFR of Arnie swinging one around his wrist?

This what you're looking for?

Although I think more of this when I think of a shotgun build.

I'm tempted to start over and make a Hobo With A Shotgun build. The Riot Shotgun was pretty much the only weapon I used once I got my hands on one anyway.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, everytime a Legion hit squad shows up I'm excited. "More loot and XP? You shouldn't have!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I'm about twenty hours into my new game, and I've always had great luck as far as bugs are concerned. Unfortunately, my game crashes more than it ever has. I'd say I probably get a crash for every four hours of gameplay. I have a feeling that it's due to the fact that I'm using a high quality texture mods. Should I be concerned about the crashes getting worse?

My game crashes alot and I'm not using any mods. I just chalked it up to it being a Bethesda game, buggy to begin with and mods only increase the chance of crashing. :v: