Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tenzarin posted:

The next fallout game will look amazing based off the improvements shown in skyrim.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but Skyrim has me most excited because of what it could mean for the next Fallout games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

rossmum posted:

Counterpoint: Bethesda are writing it.

On top of Bethesda doing awful, awful things to the Fallout name, and having the writing ability of an emotionally handicapped five year old, there's the simple fact that despite the improvements, Gamebryo is still an obsolete and clunky engine and I suspect the gunfeel will still be pretty poor (which is my biggest gripe with NV).

Yeah, but it's still a new post-apocalyptic sandbox to run around in. I put in a stupid amount of time into Fallout 3 even though the story and most quests weren't very good. Maybe if we're lucky they'll bring in some Obsidian folks to help write Fallout 4, but that's just wishful thinking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Would you want your courier running a city? I sure as hell wouldn't.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

No Enjoy New Vegas and go back to 3 whenever for a new experience. They can compliment each other. However if Fallout 3 'Had What New Vegas Has' it would be way better. Not to say Fallout 3 was terrible, I have logged 300 hours there, but New Vegas is an improvement.

So in conclusion, you won't hate playing both awesome games.

I'm going back to Fallout 3 with the "Requiem for the Capitol Wasteland" mod through New Vegas. Bringing the Mojave (and GRA weapons) to the East Coast is gonna be awesome :clint:
(and probably buggy as sin)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

strategery posted:

Just got to the last part on "the lonesome road". I love how it went from semi-difficult to "we are just going to loving rape you now". gently caress THIS.

Esc > Options > Difficulty > Very Easy

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

redmercer posted:

New Vegas is really good at handling "Oh, you already killed that guy in one of your many killing sprees? Well done." moments. Sequence breaking is handled more "Well done!" and less "Oh poo poo!", for lack of a better description.

I'm playing through Baldur's Gate right now and it's so jarring to have to talk to everyone twice just to get that sort of thing done. It's no huge inconvenience but it's a really nice touch in New Vegas.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finally got around to the Great Khans, and according to the marker, Melissa is somewhere in the Quarry.

Only problem is that I can't seem to make any headway into the valley before being mobbed to death by Deathclaws. Is there any way to confront them?

Stealth boys to sneak around them, or to reliably get sneak attack crits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TOOT BOOT posted:

How about a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game with a smaller scale, but randomly chosen main plot with associated setpieces?

A lot of times the best content has nothing to do with the 'story' anyway. I can't say I've ever felt any great urge to rush through the story in a Fallout or ES game.
So it would be like Fallout Madlibs?

One day, [NAME] woke up from his [NOUN] and saw that the door to his [VAULT/HOUSE/BUNKER/CAR] was open! He looked out into the [US LOCATION] and took in its marvelous sights. Just then, a pack of mutated [ANIMALS] attacked! So he pumped himself up on [CHEM] and hit them with a [UNCONVENTIONAL BLUNT WEAPON] and they all died.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

cat with hands posted:

So how is the "honest hearts" DLC supposed to play?

Follows-Chalk, at a distance, is another guy without a shirt hanging around guys shooting at you. He ate grenade on my first playthrough, and I ended up killing everyone in Zion because everyone turned hostile. I went back and did another playthrough and enjoyed it plenty.

Speedball posted:

I don't even know if it's possible to save anyone in your caravan during the White Legs ambush. They all seem to get sniped to bits before I can even target any enemies.
You can't, their heads are scripted to explode.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Clinton1011 posted:

Anyone else love to use the battle rifle(m1 garand) just to hear that ping sound when the clip ejects?

If you don't walk around hitting 2 over and over again to change ammo and hear that satisfying ping, then you're no friend of mine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I don't understand why people glitch the gold at the end of Dead Money. Can't you just open the console and give yourself money? Letting go is a theme of Dead Money, and reverse looting a father elijhas eyeball and carrying it across the forcefields is breaking it just as bad as using the console or a mod abd it breaks the theme.

There's fun to be had in breaking the system.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SpaceDrake posted:

So, is there a known bug in FNV with, uh, the player's head exploding seemingly at random? :ohdear: I don't have Honest Hearts or Dead Money installed, but I do have OWB and Lonesome Road.

I did a Google and I noticed one or two threads about it, but nothing like a definitive answer.

You say bug, I say feature.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Police Automaton posted:

How would you people feel about traveling groups of NPCs (not randomly spawned) belonging to several factions or being indepedent, a bit like in the STALKER games?

I'd really love this. It's one of the reasons I like that caravan encounter so much. I was playing through with Project Nevada and the moment Boone and I saved that caravan, a Legion assassin team showed up. By the end of it, Boone and I were the only two standing. Turns out that Brahmin make great mobile cover.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought that was laziness (who wants to render a unique model for some dude whose face you will never see?). I never considered Lanius' legend being fabricated to such an extent, but it makes perfect sense. New Vegas continues to surprise me.

(the fanfilm will explore none of this)

It would also be kind of lame if Legate Lanius was just Gamebryo_Male_033 or something like that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Of course now when I do my next playthrough, I can do things the opposite way and see all the stuff I cut myself off from. And for once, I actually DO want to play through the whole game again just to try out a different approach and see how different that makes things.

Playing through as the Legion is worth it if only for Arizona Killer and a different perspective on the Dam. There are nowhere near as many missions, but what ones there are rule.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Also I'm sure at least a few of you have friends who think Fallout 3 is better (usually without having a good reason why) solely because it came before New Vegas. I have a friend who played through Fallout 3 for a good 50 hours or so and he might have gotten about 20 in NV, rushed to the end and never beat it. Some reviewers were probably similar.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

El Disco posted:

I just started playing Old World Blues and holy poo poo I was not expecting to hear Doctor Venture! :neckbeard:

Hope you have Wild Wasteland turned on. WALKING EYE!

SRM fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 25, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fintilgin posted:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover that they intended to do this, but 'caps as money' was something Bethesda wanted to keep as a series touchstone. Actually, as an interesting side note, I remember reading an interview along the lines that they originally had considered setting 'New Vegas' in an entirely different (unstated) city, but that Bethesda had wanted to reserve that city for themselves and it was one of the very few changes they requested. I really wonder what city that was!

My money's on Boston because of The Institute that's hinted at a bit in Fallout 3. I think it's just an excuse for them to make a Blade Runner city with a wasteland around it. The Institute was introduced in Fallout 3 anyway, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fintilgin posted:

That dude and his thugs have never made it out of Nipton in any of my playthroughs.

Killin' Legion all day every day.

Vulpes hasn't survived any of my playthroughs whatsoever. Even on my Legion-loyal run, he died when I opened the door to the Lucky 38 Suite to find him standing there in front of me and my .44 in hand. I shot him out of reflex, honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Game over, but it tells you pretty explicitly when the point of no return is.