Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm playing on Xbox, does anybody know a way to get Veronica's companion quest to start? I've visited every location you're supposed to take her to and I've never been able to get a conversation out of her. I've tried giving her a dress and that has no effect either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Wear an NCR disguise to make Legionary assassins ignore you? :raise:

Did you mean steal some Legionary armor and wear that outside NCR areas?

No, if you wear any faction disguise, NCR/Legion assassins won't spawn to come after you. Disguises hide your karma, which can work for or against you.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I really regret playing 3 after New Vegas. If you only have time for one then definitely Vegas. 3 isn't bad but it pales in comparison.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

I don't have a good grasp of the faction system yet after 5-6 hours of playing NV. I defended the first town from the Powder Gangers and now the Powder Gangers hate me and try to kill me on sight, I get that much.

Faction outfits are basically just a way to temporarily override whatever your current standing is with a faction, right? I'm pretty early in the game but the NCR folks at the Mojave outpost don't seem to react any differently to me whether I have on an NCR outfit or just normal clothes. I didn't have any prior standing with them as far as I can tell.

It would make more of an impact if I was trying to temporarily pass as friendly with a faction I was hostile to by wearing their uniform, right? And that's where you have to start being careful about not getting detected?

Faction outfits are good for two things. The first is to stop assassin squads from spawning and trying to kill you, which was discussed a few pages back. Any faction outfit will stop assassins from showing up.

The second, as you said, is passing as part of a faction that dislikes you. A faction disguise will get you past low level troops, but named characters and high level enemies (NCR rangers, Legion centurions, etc) will see through it and attack you.

Note that it's actually a bad idea to wear faction clothes around a faction that already likes you, because it replaces positive reputation with neutral reputation.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Wild Wasteland doesn't show up when I level and get to pick new perks, can it only be taken at the start of the game?

Yes, traits (Wild Wasteland) are different than perks. In the main game, you can only pick traits at character creation, although I believe OWB lets you change traits around.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I am loving this game so much. I'm at the point where I can choose who to side with in the main quest, and I'm inclined to go with the "none of the above" option. How far into the other questlines can I go before being locked out of it? There's some NCR quests I want to do. Specifically I understand that you can save the Brotherhood of Steel by doing a certain NCR quest, and while I don't care about them one way or the other, I like Veronica too much to let everyone she ever knew die off.

If you complete the quest "Still in the Dark" for the Brotherhood, and have good Brotherhood reputation, you should be able to broker a truce with the NCR. Get to the point in the main NCR quest – "For The Republic, Part 2" – where Moore asks you to take out the Brotherhood, and then talk to Elder McNamera. If you replaced him with Hardin, a truce will not be possible.

If you follow the Yes Man quest long enough, you'll automatically fail "For The Republic, Part 2" and Moore will disappear from the game. You can still do other NCR quests and maintain a good NCR reputation. Yes Man is always available – and unkillable – so follow the NCR line as long as you can, and switch over to him whenever you're ready.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

It's a nice thing to do for Joshua Graham too. I get the impression that Joshua never really liked the Legion or Caesar very much, even before the whole burning him alive thing. Is there any siginificance to the fact that he's wearing his own armour in the flashback slides, rather than Legion gear?

I interpreted it as meaning that Joshua never really bought into Caesar's ideals, and just got caught up in the violence that allowed him to express the darkest parts of his character, before being chucked off a cliff made him think about his actions, regain his faith and look for redemption.

Sawyer actually answered the question earlier:

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/196859492246262438

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How much of a slog would Dead Money or Old World Blues be at level 30?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

MegaGatts posted:

Currently I'm wondering what happens if I activate the robots, but then side with the NCR.

If you're curious: Nothing happens, unfortunately. There's no way to use the Securitrons for the NCR, and it doesn't turn them against you. It's nice insurance if you ever decide to go Yes Man at the last minute, but it doesn't do anything from a storyline perspective.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

According to the Fallout wiki, you can convince Chief Hanlon to stop falsifying reports by telling him that Caesar has brain cancer.

But as far as I can figure, the only way to gain that knowledge is to work your way up Render Unto Caesar, which would vilify you with the NCR and make it impossible to complete Return to Sender. Does anyone know if the wiki is mistaken, or if there really is some way to let him know and complete the quest?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Before you kill Veronica in the bunker like the above poster suggested, do Dead Money, get Elijah's message, and take it for yourself.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cirofren posted:

I did, yes.

I roamed past every single hut in the canyon entranceway, up by the lodge, the huts by the arena, and the trailers at the drug lab. Killing them all is completely out of character but I've given this genocide a real go twice now and the quest won't complete.

I've never played it on the PC, but the wiki page looks like it has some console commands for solving your problem:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/For_the_Republic,_Part_2

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

-The Powder Gangers are hosed no matter what you do. I'd let the Legion deal with them, they die either way and it sends a message.

The best you can hope for is to have the Vault 19 gangers join up with the Khans, and then have the Khans leave the region for the northwest.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

The other night I caught an episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Old Man in the Cave," about a mysterious unseen figure who helped a bunch of nuclear apocalypse survivors. I feel like Fallout writers must mainline TZ episodes for inspiration. Confirm/Deny?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark#Behind_the_scenes

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Weird, I guess someone on the wiki was making assumptions.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

If Dead Money is pissing you off take the perks Fortune Finder and Them's Good Eatin' and also the perk that's like Fortune Finder but for ammo if you really don't want to use melee weapons. The Sierra Madre chips which the vending machines use for crafting are affected by Fortune Finder so you'll be swimming in them after a few minutes, and Them's Good Eatin' pretty much guarantees you a load of free food items. I think that only comes with Old World Blues, so be sure to download and install Old World Blues. Anyway, those perks make the whole thing much easier and defeat the point of the expansion as much as exploiting the engine to steal all the loot at the end.

In addition, take Light Step. It's never more useful than in Dead Money.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

One of my main problems with LR is that it's theme is that the player's actions have consequences, but then it subverts this by forcing the player to take an extremely reckless action to complete the scenario. The choice is "experience all the content you paid for or refuse to launch a nuke". When my first character entered the DLC I had managed to play the game as a good person who tries to consider the consequences of my actions, and I really tried to think of a way my character could justify launching a nuke, and finally said "what the hell, it's just a game" and finished the DLC. I get to the end and at this point I'm supposed to accept a sermon about my actions having consequences and have a moral quandary over which nuke I launched, when I did the same thing previously for entirely non-RP reasons because the DLC forced me to?

Speaking of role playing, it's kind of weird that you only get the ultimate NCR/Legion armor for nuking the NCR/Legion. I guess you can justify it from a Legion perspective as beginning your own centurion armor or whatever, but it's pretty bizarre to see an NCR character running around in the armor of the 87th tribe and centurion helmet.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, her and Red Lucy will have sex with a male character as a quest reward. No equivalent for female characters that I've seen. The game usually is pretty decent sexism wise, for a mainstream game made in 2010 at least, it's a shame this particular bit made it through. I remember reading that they were both written by the same guy, so I choose to blame him.

Female characters can sleep with both of them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dodecalypse posted:

Having recently finished Dead Money, the ending cutscene talked a lot about other DLC locations like the Divide, and what happens there. Is there an order I should be playing these in? I mean, I thought I'd do Dead money first since it was the first released.

But I don't really want to get any weird time stream things going on in courier's story.

The release order is fine. You should definitely do Lonesome Road last – ideally right before the final battle at Hoover Dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How does Cass' ending work if you kill the Van Graffs but turn in evidence on the Crimson Caravan?