Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Turtlicious posted:

Fallout 3 was denser when it came to content, there was something every few feet and a walk to the market could take 5 minutes or 5 hours depending on how many places you explored, even though New Vegas had more content it just felt empty, I'm doing the main campaign right now and when I walk to places I actually have to deviate from the roads quite a bit to find the extra things.

I hate to point out the obvious (and I know it doesn't make great gameplay) but isn't that how it should be? In a nuke-hit Washington DC there are going to be abandoned buildings, communities etc. everywhere, simply because of it's pre-war population density. Conversely, the Mojave is basically New Vegas and a few isolated towns. Post-war people are going to gravitate towards them rather than try and make it on their own in small groups, due to the hostile nature of a desert. I think all the abandoned shacks are a great touch in that regard (is there an actual back-story of them?). One thing I did enjoy was Freeside (more specifically, just outside Freeside). You can really see where people have tried to get to New Vegas, couldn't get in, and have been forced to make their lives in the outskirts. Very refugee and makes it seem a bit more real.

I've played both games for the first time in the past few weeks (don't ask why I've never picked them up before, I've done nothing else since I started). I didn't like 3 at first, then I realised that I hadn't bothered to explore, basically at all. It took playing through NV, then going back to 3 for me to realise how much I had missed. Unfortunately, I had grindy sewer levels, so getting around the capitol was a pain in the rear end. NV was better for this (as I could explore mostly on the surface), until I pissed off both the Legion and the NCR, forcing me to run around in the respective armour (until I'd invariably forget and have to fight my way out). I liked the Brotherhood in both games, and I was kinda pissed when Caesar wanted me to blow them up. They seem like the least assholeish out of the three major factions, and I thought Caesar could've used them to combat the NCR. I might have missed something though - I haven't quite finished up NV due to assignments so it could crop up in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

My biggest gripe with New Vegas came at the end of my very first play through. I had run through all the mainline quests, and was going around trying to find all the locations. Looked at my map, though "Oh there's that huge expanse off to the west, I'll go look there next." Wait, nope, there's absolutely nothing. It seems like they wanted the map to be either square for aesthetics, or just to seem bigger than it actually is. All the locations (barring a few outliers) are on the spine of the map. There's so much wasted space that could have something cool in it. Compare this to 3, where the whole map is utilized (for better or for worse).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

thehumandignity posted:

I don't think being filled with empty, generic caves and houses really counts as being utilized.

At least there was something there. It just seemed to me that they had this whole third of a map that wasn't used, maybe they should've cut it off or something.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm running (well, more of a slow meander, took me hours and hours to reach NV itself) through NV for a second time, realising that even when I thought I'd discovered everything in my first playthrough there's just so many quests and things to find. Maybe it's because I've never been much of an RPG guy (at least, in the Fallout/Elder Scrolls kinda way) but it's amazing how I can play the game twice and find myself going in opposite directions. The first time I decided to go all Legion badguy, which was fun for a while before everyone hated me. This time I'm a gunslinger, who's do anything for caps but with an affiliation with the NCR. I didn't even realise half the quests on the Strip even existed (though this has the slight negative effect of making my quest log look awful).

I have a question though: seriously what is the best way to kill Deathclaws because gently caress them and gently caress them hard.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I've gotta say, I've just finished playing through all of the NV DLC, and I just haven't enjoyed any of them. I appreciate the settings and characters in each, but they didn't feel fun to me. Each had annoying bullet-sponge enemies that took forever to kill, which made me try and rush through it all. I suppose if I go back and play through them slowly I might like them more. It probably doesn't help that I'm eager to get back and finish the story.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

DamnGlitch posted:

I doubt that more than speculation; the fact that the territory conforms mostly to state borders after the apocalypse is suspicious, at the very least.

Probably speculation coming from statements like "The Brotherhood are in Texas" or something - that don't necessarily mean the whole state, but it's easier to represent that on a map.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I want Fallout to go new places, not revisit California/New Vegas or whatever. Chicago/Detroit is an obvious choice that I'd be happy, apart from The Pitt we haven't really seen a manufacturing/factory setting so there's plenty you can do with that. For a "4.5" or whatever in the vein of NV, somewhere in Texas (I know BoS was set there), where there can be a clash between the Brotherhood and some Mexican-based group, similar to the CL v NCR battle.

Revisiting areas can be interesting but there's so much of America left to explore, so many places unaccounted for. It would be a shame to keep it contained to the same areas.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I just got done playing through HH (and just started OWB) for the second time, and whilst I really enjoyed the scenery and locations there is something that bugs me. Zion seems like a really big place - I went in with the perk that reveals all locations and there were loads - but you never seem to go to all of them. I did both companion's side quests, all of the optional stuff in the missions, and a bit of "oh hey what's that over there" exploring, but there were still a bunch of unexplored locations. Compared to OWB, where you seem to be sent pretty much everywhere on the map, and HH seems like it lacks a few more quests just to really open up the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

So I just finished up Lonesome Road and then went ahead and did the final quest (Independent Vegas), and I've gotta say I'm disappointed with both choices I made. I decided to reason with Ulysses, but then the epic battle that I remember from previous playthroughs turned into Ulysses killing a bunch of Marked Men (most of whom I couldn't even see because they were cloaked) and me standing at the back looking dumb. It's still my favourite DLC but that was a bit tame by comparison to the other endings. The final quest had a similar problem - it just didn't have the same feel that a NCR or Legion victory does. I think I was expecting a lot more from the Securitrons to be honest. Apart from a couple on the dam and then the army showing up at the end, I barely saw them.

Anyway, time to install the jsawyer mod or whatever it's called and go through it all over again!