Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
OWB is pretty cool. Just finished it tonight.
Pros:
All the little goofy jokes every loving where.
The Sink.
The Dr.'s are pretty awesome.
Really big! I loved the backstory on all places you can visit.

Cons:
Damage sink enemies.
Spawns are hosed.
All those "boss" monsters which are mostly even bigger damage sinks but with idiotically high perception.
Because of all the enemies I gained like 10 levels from 16 to 26, which is kinda too much IMO for a DLC.
The millions of metal boxes/footlockers/toolboxes and stuff, making my OCD side come out and check everything. If they weren't there the time spent playing OWB would be cut in half I guess.
Weak overall storyline.
A bit too goofy. While fallout always has that goofy side, it treads a fine line between parody and true post-apocalyptic storytelling. There are some truly sad stories and human-focused plot-lines, but OWB is just goofing off big time.

Overall, while I got more cons then pros, I really enjoyed it, but it felt like a bit of a slog because of the amount of damage-sink enemies that spawn in front of your nose. Luckily I modded the game with signature weapons and I have a 95% accurate riot shotgun with 1200 DPS and -25 DT on enemies and replenishing ammo to get trough it. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I've played Honest Hearts and OWB now, starting Dead Money. Just finished the intro quest, gathering all 3 companions.

So far, I've liked Honest Hearts best. OWB was funny without much substance, and it seemed like a bit of a slog thanks to the bulletsponge enemies with high respawn rates. Didn't really care for much of the new gear, liked the backstories, but too goofy.

Honest Hearts gave a good vibe to me, I loved the visuals and the main characters. The Survivalist was awesome, one of the best written character-arcs in the game IMO. It didn't went on too long, and there was no big bullshit in the DLC. I really liked the layout with the small streams and stuff, looked gorgeous. It was the first time really in a long time I enjoyed playing the game just to find new spots to look over the terrain. The tribal art was awesome too.

The quests where a bit simple, and the followers not that interesting. I suppose the character arcs of Joshua and Daniel are a bit simple, but I liked 'em anyway. The ending sucked though, just a box with gear? Everybody is just gone? Meh.

Now Dead Money. Feeling like a slog already. The visuals are ugly, it's like MEGA-BROWN thanks to the cloud. It has a nice horror-vibe going on, especially with with rescuing Christine, drat. But the enemies suck until now, no fun. They are easy and boring really. I also hate God, drat that guy just WON'T SHUT UP. He is constantly blabbering his 3 token lines. I feel it's a bug or something, hope it will go away soon.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Three things about Dead Money:

1. Don't follow the arrow, except in a general sense. It was set up deliberately to reward people who don't just follow the arrow blindly and the area is really easy to navigate if you just take some time to explore.

2. DM is better mechanically at low levels before you have everything maxed and you have very few HP. Unfortunately you can't change this.

3. DM is better in story terms before OWB so two of the characters and the background to the Sierra Madre aren't well known to you. Unfortunately you can't change this either.

1. I never do anyway; I explore every nook and cranny always.
2. Yeah, I gathered. OWB gave me way more levels than I imagined.
3. Luckily I skipped most of Elijah and Christine's logs and such in OWB. And chronologically, isn't OWB leading to Dead Money anyway? I mean, this way you follow the characters' path. I didn't really pick up anything from OWB that can be classified as spoiling Dead Money. You know about Elijah anyway if you went around the Mojave anyway. And I spoil myself always by reading too much articles on the wiki. :(

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's great that F3 played on the other side of the US and nothing really interesting happened during the plot, so we can just forget about the plot and write it off as a fun game for it's time and move in with NV's plot.

I would lovelovelove a settlers/anno-type game set just after the war, with you as a control-vault overseer, opens 10 years after the bombs drop, and go build up a society. Like Vault 8 in Fallout 2. Or one where you can pick a starting Vault, like the control vault is easy-mode, and you can also start with a necropolis-like vault for hard mode or something. Would be pretty awesome! It would play basically like this zombie-apocalypse flash game: http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Best thing dead money gave to me: the stay back perk.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I'd even say the DLC's are better then the main game. Sure, you lose that free-roaming feel, but you gain so much in a closed setting storytelling, and everything can be connected instead. In the wastelands it's pretty hard to do foreshadowing and such because you can just skip almost everything if you want to. You can run to Vegas in the beginning and never even hear about the Legion for instance.

Also, I like the HH system of taking poo poo with you the best. In OWB I never used anything I found there because I had better poo poo with me already, in Dead Money you have no choice and it feels like a bit of a slog sometimes, and in HH I felt it was just right. I got a few guns and a piece of armour and that was it, excellent.

My ratings until now (halfway trough DM, doing lonesome road afterwards):
HH > OWB > Dead Money

I really liked doing OWB before DM, because of all the foreshadowing of the techs. It works better then the other way around IMO. HH just ties in directly with the main storyline (thanks to Joshua), and I feel it should be done around the time after your chat with Ceasar in the main storyline. OWB -> Dead Money is a true sideplot, the only connection is with the BoS questline. It's cool to know who Elijah is before you start the DLC's however.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I'm gonna go melee/explosions/survival for a change of pace. What should I choose for stats? I'm thinking 9 str/9end/?

If you're powergaming, you always want to start with at least 9 int.

Melee/exp/surv doesn't need much skillwise. Explosions and melee weapons don't depend that much on skill in the first bit of the game. A smack to the head is a smack to the head. You can try to rush to Chance's knife at the start to get a really good melee weapon. Try to demolish the powder gangers first to get a good stash of explosives. Pump up survival first if you go this route to get some great poisons/drugs/food.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Sweet. What is Chance's knife and where do I find it. I always kill the gangers, gently caress those guys. :colbert:

quote:

It's located in Chance's grave, north of Goodsprings on a hill near Tribal Village along with Great Khan simple armor. A shovel is needed to access the loot.

Once at the Tribal village back track towards the main road while looking south. You should see a path leading up the hill and at the top is Chance's grave.

e: It's pretty hard to get there without getting owned by Cazadores, but after a lot of save-scumming I got past 'em and got it first thing. Really made the first half the game easy.

Another thing you can do: Kill Vulpes when you enter Nipton. He carries a Ripper, which is another great weapon to start with.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Well, you don't need to see anything outside melee range, and you can get E-DE to tag along if you want to anway. It does increase Explosives, but hell, skillpoints are easy to get. The only thing that's useful for you is Better Crits, but you can live without that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

loving a' man. Just make sure your first priority is to get Oh Baby for maximum bashing-people-in-the-air fun.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Dead Money is literally a gift that keeps giving. Like 50 weapon repair kits every 3 days or something? You can just buy poo poo from vendors and sell it back fully repaired to get loads and loads of caps.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Pretty logical, considering the amount of voice work. Just like in Deus Ex!
They could've put it on more terminals/journal entries though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nope. I finished the strip after all DLC and doing about everything possible outside it, and steamed from the Strip until the endgame in one fell swoop with my level 50 pimp-rear end destroyer with almost everything maxed. Yay for DLC!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The Power Armor didn't break the game. It made it easier yeah, but not a big difference like the Stealth armor, which just made you invisible to almost every enemy in the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kharmakazy posted:

Punched him unconscious bear handed and just kicked him to sleep.

bear hands are the best hands.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

If you want to break the game, rush to New Vegas first thing and kill the gommorah guard. He carries a riot shotgun. Use that as your signature weapon. At high levels it gets 99% accurate at long range with buckshot, deals insane damage, and gives you back so much ammo that you never have to buy more: just craft empty shells. Also, stay back and shotgun surgeon already made this gun hyper powerful.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Loved them all, except dead money, which felt like a slog to me. But still glad I played it and worth the money. So yeah, take them all, they are really high quality: fun to play, neat new items, storylines are good as well.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I'd rather chill out after doing all that crap, instead of running a giant city. House can do it, if he just builds a rad building for me somewhere to stash all my goodies.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Intelligence 10, Charisma 1? He's Mr House already.

Have you seen his awesome moustache?! That nets him 8 CHA points easy.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

eating only apples posted:

He has five :v:

Appropriately, he also has 1 Agility.

That are just his base stats, his moustache is obviously classed as equipment :colbert:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

How? You didn't explain what is wrong with it. And the 3rd person camera is pretty clunky, yeah. I prefer first person.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kalos posted:

Honest Hearts is good, but it feels like the courier is pretty superfluous to the whole storyline.

I loved Honest Hearts, and this is one of the reasons. I don't really buy into the 'one dude can change the course of history' stuff. While single guys/groups are often the catalyst, it's the broad movements of cultures that really make the changes. In HH you are a catalyst but not the main driving force, which is neat. I also really enjoyed the scenery and fighting a flaming ghost bear while hopped up on tribal drugs. And of course the loving Survivalist story, best 'sideplot' in the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have the retail version - I haven't actually gotten around to playing this, though. But since the OP says you have to tie this to a Steam account, I assume that means I can just buy the DLC off of Steam. With the summer sale on, they're selling each for $6 (but I think I'll wait and see if there's a better sale than -40%)

Can someone elaborate more than the second post on what each of the four main DLC packs offer?

So, four story DLC's and two item packs. I'll start with the item packs.

-> Courier's Stash
This is just a collection of pre-order bonuses. Not really worth it, but if you can pick it up cheap in a bundle or something it's OK. They vastly increase your survival ability early game, which kinda ruins the start for me.

-> Gun Runner's Arsenal
A lot of really expensive or rare and terribly powerful weapons added. Really cool actually, but it's more like a mod. It also adds some challenges and mods for guns. Good expansion, would recommend if cheap.

Story DLC's:

-> Dead Money
The first one. A kinda survival-horror themed expansion, will start you off with an empty inventory and enemies in this expansion are better off avoided. Full of traps as well. The story is pretty neat. Some people absolutely love it, others detest it. Has some nice rewards for finishing (essentialy making you rich as gently caress if you play your cards right). Personally I thought it was a slog and not really worth it, on top of overpowering your PC after finishing. The only part of the game I just god-moded trough.

-> Honest Hearts
A more open-world approach. You enter Zion, a place untouched by the atomic bombs. It's a nature reserve and is really pretty. You ally with some tribal warriors to kick out evil tribal warriors. The 'good' tribe is led by Joshua Graham, the Burning Man you hear a lot about while playing F:NV. There is a side story consisting of hidden caches with logs, detailing the story of a man who found Zion just after the bombs fell, explaining the origins of the tribes. It's some of the best writing in the game IMO. I heartily recommend this expansion. Again, some people like it, some hate it. The story is not at all focused on the PC or Vegas, it's a self-contained storyline, which is different from the rest. Has 2 of the best weapons in the game to take home with you, as well as a shitload of survival recipies and ingredients.

-> Old World Blues
You teleport to a 50's mad scientist playground, where the only intelligent beings are giant idiots (and floating brains in jars). The rest of the map is littered with science experiments waiting to kill you. On the other hand, the map is also littered with nice toys to kill the gently caress out of everything. The tone is more whimsical and funny compared to the other DLC's. The main plot revolves around stopping an 'evil' scientist while helping the 'good' ones. The side plot revolves around characters you will meet in Dead Money and Lonesome Road. They are only mentioned in diary/log entries though. Some really nice gear is to be found, as well as a great base where you can teleport whenever you want once you finish OBW. Heartily recommended.

-> Lonesome Road
Never played it. This DLC concludes the Courier's personal story when you finally meet Ulysses, the guy who's left traces all over OWB, and was the dude who set you up with the platinum chip delivery job. The DLC itself is kinda corridor shooter like, and the story is kinda focused around "don't shoot the messenger" and old world symbolism. Like I said, I didn't play it.

So, that's it. My advice is to get them all. I stopped playing NV, but maybe I'll get all DLC this sale and try again. One big tip: Do OWB before level 20 or so, afterwards the enemies become MASSIVE bulletsponges. Same with the rest of the DLC really. The enemies in the DLC give massive amounts of EXP so be careful.
Also, the order in which to play would be (IMO): Honest Hearts whenever, then OWB, then either Lonesome Road or Dead Money. OWB starts the story of the main antagonists of both DM and LR, and I think it's better this way. But the storylines are self contained enough, you won't miss anything by choosing a different path.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kalos posted:

As far as Dead Money is concerned, I'd consider it the best expansion. There's some real challenge, good character arcs and it fits very solidly withing the storytelling themes of New Vegas.

Continuing on the path of being the polar opposite of Samopsa, Old World Blues was a mess of bad scaling, a lot of horrendously forced "hilarious" dialogue and generally a combination of everything that was the worst of what Fallout's transition to 3D had to offer.

I do second the notion of getting them all though. Using everyone else on the planet as a precedent, you'll hate either OWB or DM, love the other one, and have mixed feelings on the remaining two.

Yeah, it can go both ways. It might be because I did Dead Money at almost max level, but I thought the enemies in DM were even more like bullet-sponges then anything I encountered in OWB.

Oh, and I liked the story in DM, but just absolutely detest the gameplay. That's why I was really happy with my god mode cheat!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah that hotel can be kinda tough for a low level player. You can skip Primm if you want, just follow the road further on. For some info for what the hell is going on, enter the building opposite, it contains friendlies.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nope, Goodsprings is totally non essential to the plot. They just point you to Primm, essentially. Anyway, to truly 'ruin' the plot (not really possible actually! But to explain would be spoiling) you need to go a lot further. Before you enter Vegas you don't really meet anyone essential to the main plot as such, except maybe Ceasar if you go really out of your way. The main plot is really open ended and can always be finished.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Remember that the Mojave/Vegas is a frontline, not actually part of the inner NCR territories. Things are probably way different in their homelands, seeing as they had 100+ years of peace and control by now. They are actually losing when the game starts, and have been losing for a while, see the whole Boulder bomb thing. This is not a thing to hold against the NCR. Well, maybe they should've retreated or sent more men, but the whole Divide thing hit them hard.

quote:

Outside the Divide, the disaster became a blessing in disguise for the Legion: cutting off NCR supply lines along Death Valley Road and the Carson Pass Highway, it granted Caesar's Legion time to recover after their loss in the First Battle of Hoover Dam.

So yes, the NCR precense in the Mojave is weak and crumbling, but it's not only NCR incompetence that fuels this situation.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SeraphimKensai posted:

I recently started playing New Vegas again. I had bought the PS3 vanilla standalone and it was still pretty sweet (200+ hours into it), however during Steam's summer sale a couple weeks ago I bought the ultimate new vegas version to play the DLC and such. The Garden of Eden Kit is amazing, and have been goofing off trying to come up with various new weapons and such, like a 12 gauge shotgun that integrates some of the famous dart-gun's effects from FO3 into non-lethal shells which also cause an explosive flashbang, and different "enchantments" for armors and such.

Has anyone else been modding New Vegas?

Go here, son.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fallout 3's game world does not make sense even one bit. It's a random collection of (some really fun and interesting!) locations. No logical roads, settlements are just there: Why the hell build a town around a bomb? Why is Tenpenny tower still standing in the middle of nowhere? Why build a town on the edge of a broken bridge? Rivet city I can understand, but why do you have a shitload of mutants as neighbors, no traders can access your town. I can go on and on. The only part that makes a bit of sense is the DC interior as it's just a giant heap of rubble and buildings. I can never ever find my way around the Capital Wasteland, because nothing makes sense.

New Vegas is totally the other way around however. Not much exotic and really fun places to visit in the main game, it's more mundane. The characters and plots make the fun. But the whole world makes sense! Settlements are on roads or close to water, Trade routes are mostly open, there is even a train line built. This makes the game way more logical and enjoyable for me. I can actually navigate most of the game without using the map.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

But the same goes for Fallout 3:

Wikiuser posted:

I did my own map overlay in Google Earth and found that if you align Olney, Bethesda, and Andale (Annandale), most of the other locations match close enough. The only major offset seemed to be Germantown, which is well south of Olney in-game, and yet is 2km north of it in real life

But it still doesn't make any sense in-game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yes, lots of things are pretty much made up in New Vegas, but it still makes sense. I don't think Helios One is there in real life either, or the REPCONN test site.

Here's a neat site about real life New Vegas locations, including a page on Novac.

e:error: bitter springs does exist!

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 1, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Use the saturnite fist and the protonic inversal axe. It does not matter what your skill levels are, you'll wreck poo poo.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also, go with the Powder Gangers for the first round of quests, then join the legion in Nipton and you're pretty much set up until vegas for the evil part. It's not that hard.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fo3 had no logical economy whatsoever. No production of anything anywhere, no food, no fresh water, no trade routes, no farms, etc. Don't even try to think about monatery systems in that game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

rotinaj posted:

In Skyrim, you break the economy if you enchant Banish to weapons. Vendors go nuts for Banish and pay exorbitant amounts. Is there an exploit like that in FNV?

Play Dead Money, finish it with a big wad of pre-war money, and a never ending supply of free weapon repair kits to repair all weapons you find to 100% durability, sell them for mad caps. Alternatively, give no fucks about the message the DLC is trying to send you and go home with a loving giant stack of pure gold and be the richest dude ever.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, it's the antepenultimate quest for Ceasar's Legion. Your only other option left at that point is Yes Man, IIRC.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Probably not, as the basic aesthetics of the game are purely based on '50's :911: 'merrica :911:. The setting won't make a lot of sense in other parts of the world.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Not at the beginning it isn't. In FO3, you can leave the Vault and walk anywhere and not run into problems. While you can do that in FNV, its a lot harder, and you'll feel like you're forced to do the plot more. Unless you know what you're doing, FNV feels more on rails until you hit Vegas, and then it opens wide up, whereas FO3 never loses that roaming quality.

Uhm, you can just loving ignore the entire plot of the game in F:NV, and run wherever. 2 paths you can take at the start are very dangerous (cazadores/deathclaws), but the other paths are very do-able to a starting player. You can head over to the jail to deal with the powder gang, Primm to deal with everything there, or just move on towards Nipton. You can head over to Hidden Valley to see what the BoS is up to. You can also go to one of the (IIRC) 3 shortcuts to get to Novac without taking the long route, or go explore whatever you want.

Or you can just follow the main quest and encounter lots of interesting things to do for the first few hours and then you'll reach Vegas with Boone & E-DE (probably), having some nice gear and enjoying the setting.

In FO3, there are a bunch of mandatory tutorials, dicking around in the vault for like and hour, and then you're set free. The quest points you towards Megaton to ask around, which is the same way New Vegas handles it. The difference: In New Vegas, 3 shortcuts or so are 'soft-blocked' by high level enemies, and in FO3 the map is wide open without any blockades so you can walk anywhere, but the world makes no loving sense at all.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also, if you upgrade the securitrons I believe Victor gets overwritten as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I heard that on a podcast. :rip:

Before I called it a night I managed to buy a named sniper rifle with my blackjack winnings. I can't wait to get home and use it.

Whaddup WOFF buddy :hfive: