Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So any suggestions for fun melee and unarmed weapons in vanilla NV or the DLCs? I just played through all four of them and I realized I still have the achievements for those weapon categories available, so I figured I'd start using them as I wrap up the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the most important thing to save all characters is to never say anything that can be perceived as negative to Dean Domino. The guy is a freaking diva. Hell, why would I even want him to survive?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Can I murder all the companions in dead money as soon as I see them or will that break something

Yes, your neck.

Edit: Look at me not reloading the page.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I did HH first and bought my first weapon (as opposed to stealing and scavenging) just before it. It was the rifle with the Spanish name from the Gun Runners. It did it's job, although only being able to load 3 rounds at a time is not really optimal when fighting multiple mutated bears.

Finding the Survivalist logs and eventually his Rifle was thus quite a treat. Upon finishing HH I left my own rifle by his skeleton before leaving Zion. And the Survivalist Rifle served me well during the remainder of the travels... even against the thick bullet-sponge armor plating of robo-scorpions.

I'm so glad I visited the Great Khan armorer sortly after HH, because she stocked a lot of ammo for that rifle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The cook's quests also have zero reward, right? Or it's just some supplies that are far from exciting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

They're supposedly stuck in a part of the vault that you can't access (so you can't see or talk to them). If you do save them you'll encounter them in the office park south of the Sharecropper Farms.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Novac motel room (dinosaur town) is mostly what I used during my playthrough as well. It's easy to gain permanent access to (and early in the game), close to the Novac fast travel spot, close to a Mojave Express box, close to two crafting tables (they're in the gas station garage) and it has a nearby merchant (Cliff in the souvenir shop, although he's only there during daylight). The only thing I'm not sure about is a campfire, although I think there may be one in the motel courtyard.

How does The Sink handle companions when you teleport? I did OWB quite late in my playthrough so I never returned to it when I wrapped up all the quests in the DLC.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 12, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played it with a 360 controller and it was fine. I only had to bind auto-walk to a different key for it to work with a controller.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I couldn't imagine playing this game without the glory that is Courier's Stash.

gently caress yo dehydration, I got me my Vault 13 Canteen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Funny because Veronica doesn't seem to want to hit things while we are in combat because crouching down causes her just to make an angry face and do gently caress all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

When I got this assignment I was hoping there would be more gambling.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"Wait, wait, wait a second. What's going on? Am I playing Vergil to your Dante?"

"I'd like to assume that we're tiptoeing into the mouth of hell out of academic curiosity, but I'm not so open-minded that I've lost my brains."

Arcade isn't very thrilled about being your companion if you decide to visit the Legion fort.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 3, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'd personally put Honest Hearts before Dead Money, since the latter has way more skill checks than HH.

It might not matter that much if you run the J. Sawyer mod though, since I believe it lowers the XP gains from quests.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think I used a Steam Community guide for that when I played it past year.

Edit, oh, new page. Might as well look it up then.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 11, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I once killed 5 Deathclaws with the silenced .22 pistol. I also killed 3 Cazadores with time bombs since I ran out of long fuse dynamite and didn't have the perk required for tin grenades.

Those three star GRA challenges loving sucked if you didn't want to kill named NPCs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, I agree it's a bit contrived since even without the existence of the baby, siding with the "noble savior" probably leads to a worse scenario than siding with the "evil bad guy". It didn't need that cartoon-esque act of evil to possibly swing your opinion on that choice.

Hmm, now that I've been thinking about it, it's funny how the movie Interstellar and The Pitt might be sharing a theme.
SPOILERS FOR INTERSTELLAR AND MORE SPOILERS FOR THE PITT OBVIOUSLY
In Interstellar Dr. Mann mentions that Plan A exists so that people would work on Plan B, since few people would put the survival of the human species above that of their own survival. Now it's been a year since I played The Pitt, but isn't Ashur essentially using slavery as the building blocks for a brighter future? People wouldn't want to labor in the tough conditions of the factories when there is no direct benefit for them. They are more concerned with their own survival and their freedom. Ashur sees the big picture, the other guy just wants to end the suffering (even though the wasteland probably wouldn't offer them a better existence).

It's actually quite frightening how you might end up justifying slavery in The Pitt. Most of the content in the DLC isn't that memorable, but that moral choice definitely is.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 28, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I remember Arcade's and Dean Domino's dialogue files having frequent notes. Also, whenever a character pronounces Caesar as kaizar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the area housing the commie ghouls is somewhere near the cemetery. I didn't visit it until I was done with all the DLC and started actively looking for unexplored locations using a wiki.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"If Three Dog were here, he'd say something witty. But he's not. 'Cause somebody killed him. So you get me playing music. Yay(!)."

Killing Three Dog was one of the last things I did before retiring my 100+ hours character. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Margaret's voice.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

They had a place in the fridge of the Novac motel room.

They kept all the human meat food items company.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

uaciaut posted:

A few companions, like Boone and Gannon, have a story point-based system where you need a number of points that get activated as you play the game to "activate" their loyalty mission.

Are these points saved if i drop one of said companions temporarily for another?

I.E. i get 3 points with boone, generated through killing vulpes and saving the nelson prisoners, for example , then i drop boone, go do some questing with Raul and later come back to Boone to try and get 2 more points and finish up his story/loyalty quest. Will said 3 points be saved?

Yes. Since there is just a limited amount of points you can earn it would be very restrictive if they weren't saved.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I have. Unless you have no problems with killing NCR and Legion NPCs you are going to hate the achievement for doing three 3 star GRA challenges. I didn't want to do the former so at a point I killed two Cazadores with time-bombs. You know how that works? By standing on them...

A tip for that particular challenge (Crackerjack Timing): you can use different weapons to soften the target, but you have to finish them off with the required weapon AND you need to still be holding that weapon/explosive when the target dies. That also means you shouldn't bring companions along or park them in the distance.

The Deathclaw one can be cheesed in the Quarry. If you walk to the top of one of the conveyor belts and jump you can get in a spot where the Deathclaws can't reach you... well, most of the time. At this point you can take potshots at them, although their pathing will go a bit zaney and they won't stay in a single place. So yeah, it'll take a while.

Edit: You know what, just look those challenges up on the New Vegas wiki. I remember something weird like not every Cazadore or Deathclaw counting for those challenges. The articles also have other tips for doing the challenges so you don't waste your time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I always treated Big Iron as a sign that I should switch to a different radio station, just like the long pause on the jazz station from Old World Blues.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's played on two stations, even Butcher Pete would get old if you hear it that frequently for 100+ hours :colbert:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 22, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Fereydun posted:

hmm yes, you all have great points about your songs but there is only one clear and obvious choice

it stays rare enough to never get old and it's always great

Most of that song might as well be gibberish to me, because even if I look up the lyrics I don't get half the references in that song (I'm not American so that probably explains some of it).

It's like getting a glimpse of how badly some commercial rap songs from our time will age.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Red Glare is decent if you have a group of enemies coming for you. It's not the kind of weapon you use if want to snipe that Deathclaw with rocket. So yeah, don't use it in VATS.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 24, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Dead Money's big reward is the money cheats the vending machines and their codes give you.

Yeah, getting a shitload of weapon repair kits through the vending machine is pretty awesome. I was quite high level by the time I hit Old World Blues, but at least I didn't have to worry about my weapons deteriorating when dealing with those mechanical spiders.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Take pity on every poor soul that ended up encountering a feral ghoul reaver before level 20.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The area southwest from Bitter Springs, north from Lake Mead has plenty of cazadores by default. No idea about the deathclaws.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

I don't think she studied at an accredited institution.

Maybe she has a theoretical degree as well.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Totally different note, is storage in the Novac hotel room safe?

I looked it up on the wiki just to be sure:
"There are numerous containers in the room, all of which are safe for storage except the suitcase by the door to Novac."
I myself never had problems with it and I just kept storing things in that room, even after OWB.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Garrand posted:

I think that's pretty much why all my runs ended up with Fawkes and Dogmeat as companions because they scaled to such hilariously broken levels of health. Pretty much the only way to combat the bullshit of those high tier monsters..

I deliberately didn't bother with Dogmeat until I got the Puppies perk added by Broken Steel. I think that's at level 24.

Dogmeat never even came close to dying. The last thing I did during my playthrough was to try to kill it and it took about 15 minutes of non-stop violence. It was a goddamned raid boss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think the idea is that Dogmeat will respawn after a certain amount of times has passed, so you can recruit it again after it died.

I'm not sure, because after picking up Dogmeat at/after level 24 it never died until I made an deliberate attempt to kill the dog (and that was how I ended my playthrough). So yeah, it is pretty much a waste of a perk, because once it becomes available it already is a god. The exception might be if Dogmeat died long before the perk was available, since I assume it works retroactively.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 25, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

sout posted:

Do you guys ever let companions die? Truth be told I never really play Hardcore mode (I know, I'll probably try it over summer a bit) but in Fallout 3 I'd always reload if anyone got killed. The only one I can remember letting die was Dogmeat in Fallout 1, because he was more trouble to keep alive than he was actually worth imo.

In Fallout 3 I ran with the dude from Megaton for nearly the entire game, which is why it is a bit awkward that I can't remember his name. I used to reload when he died (Feral Ghoul Reavers are nasty), but when he bit the bullet during the final mission from Broken Steel I just let it be. I was too busy playing around with that lightning bazooka they give you and he got bumrushed by Enclave troops on the airway.

While wrapping up my play-through I used Clover, even though they way she acts made me cringe. I just decided to roll with it and ended up giving her a police officer hat, cop shades and one of those raider outfits from The Pitt that is basically a bra/bandolier made of two rocket shell tips (it looks as ridiculous as it sounds). I also wiped out the slaver camp, so even though I was playing an evil cannibal I guess the inner SJW was satisfied.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 31, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bholder posted:

Oh boy, prepare for all the cries how this game is going to be poo poo compared to Fallout 3 New Vegas

We all know that Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game.

lol nma lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Someone should probably have created a new thread for Fallout 4 like 7 pages ago.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

There is one in GBS.

Oh, indeed: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723658

Probably too late to herd the hyperbole cattle thataway though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I have to bitch about the graphics for this game based on a trailer, even though I am going to install a dozen graphics mods regardless of how the vanilla game looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Shooting his gun out of his hand and using it to kill him is probably one of the most fun Challenges in the game.