Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Why doesn't this game have dune buggies and fast cars? It just seems like its missing something critical here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Ouch, that moment where you've played with tons of graphics mods for 13 hours then Honest Hearts loads up and you're treated to Durotar textures circa 2005.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
'When should I do the DLC!??!' question (sorry).

I hit around level 18 after finishing Honest Hearts, story-wise I've got no further than Freeside working for the Kings / Silver Rush(?) and lots of other side quests.

I'm reading some conflicting stuff about when to do the other DLCs next and if they'll be in sync with my current progress with the story. In short, what DLC should I do next, at what level, and should I worry about being too behind in the main story quests while doing them?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Fallout 4 will have a voiced main character who looks like every assassins creed dude, convo wheels and no stats

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
No vehicles on display :(

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
lol they said war never changes again it really is deep

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Thinking about it, the soldiers kept saying war never changes and they were right

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Can someone make a FO4 thread so people can get back to talking about a good game that's actually released

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Lmao

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
There's a bit in New Vegas where you read a terminal about a guy who spends 30 years from 2077 not being able to leave his cave because of Nuclear Winter - something that can last for centuries based on what you read. I doubt 30 years after the bombs fall everyone's ready to leave the bunker and make functioning societies.

Regardless, video games tend to do whatever they want anyway.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

SpookyLizard posted:

You're thinking of the Randall Clark, the survivalist from Honest Hearts, and he didn't spend thirty years in the cave. He spent three months in the (first) cave. It was apparently highly radioactive outside in Zion, and then there was a horrendous windstorm and rads dropped by 500 overnight. Then there was green glowing snow, and then things went back to normal. Ish. Then he spent the rest of his life in Zion, delivering us the possibly the best story in the franchise.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark_terminal_entries

Holy poo poo I only saw one terminal and briefly read over when he was an old man in the caves. I interpreted it from there. Shows how much there is in this game, and how much you can miss if you're not thorough.

:Edit: I can have two companions follow me at once? Is this normal or a mod?

maev fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 5, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Reading some initial reviews of New Vegas on release. Funny how Rock Paper Shotgun proper slams it as fully poo poo, with articles relating to it later on negatively as a bad game. :)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
" It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-gently caress."

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Do you guys use JESawyer's balance mod along with the Nevada one? Or do you jsut use the former?

Also regarding Lonesome Road, I've heard that its a kind of 'ending' DLC. When do you recommend I do it? I'm level 28 doing OWB and in regards to the main quest I've only just met house and killed Benny.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Just finished old world blues.

:catstare:

I wasn't prepared for that.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Is JESawyer's mod genuinely fun? I mean, places like OWB and even Dead Money just seem like they're going to be loving torrid. Also being able to carry no more than 3 teaspoons.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Holy poo poo, 17 hours to get to the strip. Decided to do Dead Money and OWB before continuing the main story quest.

41 hours played. :negative:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

2house2fly posted:

Those two are pretty much the most content heavy DLCs I've ever played, and could probably be sold as full price games with some extra polish and development time.

Third or fourth time playing through OWB I was in Higgs Village and realised one of the roofs was within jumping distance of a pile of crates. I thought well obviously there won't be anything up there but it's fun to run around on roofs so I ran around on the roofs and found a skeleton with some beers perched on one of them. To this day I feel like that guy was put there for me :allears:

OWB feels like an MMO expansion in the best way. I'm a terrible open world explorer, but finding poo poo around which referenced the upcoming courier Ulysses, Elijah's trips and experiments, Chinese concentration camps and their implications with American tech really makes exploration its own reward.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I'm on the part where in at Caesars camp with the platinum chip, what's the points of no return for working with factions? I'd like to do wild card but it seems a bit sucky to miss out on one of the main storylines (unless it has one of its own)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Man finished New Vegas for the first time, and the Wild Card ending where I nuked the NCR AND the Legion then ruled the Strip (and the strip alone) with an army of Robots really hit home a 'King of the ashes' oval office vibe that few games do. It was immensely satisfying (and a bit shocking) to see parts of Legion and NCR territory completely hosed by the nukes I launched. Adding those areas to let the player visually see the impact of what they did was a great touch. The societal impact of your actions really hit home in a game where the setting is built up as well as NV.

In short, great play-through. Going to have to do a run which doesn't involve the immolation of millions(?) of men women and children in nuclear fire though.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
But What do they eat?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I haven't got around to playing it but my partner has, and it just seems like a constant eugenics cycle of finding women to impregnate, putting them in sexy +1 charisma nightware with the guy wearing a clergy outfit complete with bishops hat in order to get them to procreate.

Well it certainly does seem Vaultish.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
House is such an arrogant prick that I went from thinking he was a cool dude to happily ripping out the cables from his dessicated body before shotgunning him.

I can only tolerate so much 'worthless errand boy working for MY glory' dude in an open world game. Especially if it so singularly focused on one dude. At least the NCR has the whole greater nation / society running on broadly good ethics to make working for it palletable.

Saying all this one of the best things about New Vegas is you aren't put on a Jesus Pedestal which is refreshing.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Hi mate we've only just met but if you could just get this woman to walk in front of my sniping spot ill blow her head off and we can travel together ty. We are all mentally balanced and nice people

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
A-way, true to Kai zar

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

The Locator posted:

My very first play through, I ran into the guy in Nipton, listened to his story, nodded my head a bit, and then as they were trooping out of town, put .308 rounds into the back of their heads. No regrets.

Later on in the Strip, I get a message saying that Ceasar has given me one opportunity to come clean, blah blah.. Went to the Fort, slaughtered all of them including Ceasar. gently caress those guys.

Look at this person who doesn't understand his ~~Hegelian Dialectics~~

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Part of my standard play-through is to let the Van Graffs melt Cass. Sorry about your waifu gents

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
20 hours through my second run through and I'm really dreading doing Dead Money again. I think I honestly might give it a pass and head to OWB instead.

Even with JSawyer I've reached the point where I have some loving ridiculous YCS gauss rifle gun and T-51b armour. I wish powered armor felt like it had a lot more weaknesses like severely restricted carry weight so I felt more inclined to use something more Courieresque.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I sort of disliked how despite being almost finished with the Yes Man quests and my full intention to nuke the NCR and Legion to secure Vegas for myself, all I got from Ulyses was THE BEAR THE BEAR (Then got a bear coat after I nuked california).

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
You're referred to as 'kid' a lot in the game so I can't imagine you're older than around 19 - which makes backpacking for years around the Divide seem a little stretched.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Doc Mitchell for one I'm sure. If not it was at least the Remnant guys, granted they're old but still.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

HHammond posted:

Oh excellent, we're talking about Lonesome Road! I wanted to ask you guys a question about it.

So I just replayed Lonesome Road and I freakin' loved it. I wasn't a huge fan the first time but this time I just ate it all up. Ulysses is great, the backstory is great, the themes are wonderful.

War, war never changes. But wo/men do, through the paths they walk... and this path, is at its end". :dance:

But anyway, I have a question for people who've played the DLC more thoroughly than me: do we ever get any concrete evidence that the Courier actually was responsible for this delivery? I mean, I know Ulysses says they did but I don't really think Ulysses can be held up as the most reliable of narrators. Is there any file or something that explicitly states "The Courier did it" other than the word of Ulysses or Chris Avellone?

The Bear and the Bull

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
That ranger combat gear you find in Honest Hearts, the one with all the Chinese city names on it and 'Forgive me Mama' on the front of the helmet. From this can you assume the US in Fallout's lore occupied parts of China before the nukes fell and were basically tier 1 scumbags while they were there?

maev fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 4, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

2house2fly posted:

Right, but I was trying to put into words that seemed sane to me.

You seem to be struggling a lot over someone raising a well-defined point about the meaning of a DLC in the New Vegas thread.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
So RPS went from declaring New Vegas to be a terrible bad game of terribleness in its intiial review to one of the best rpgs of all time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/10/best-rpg/4/

Backtracks!

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Because they're a progressive site who care a lot about ethics in game journalism :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
My game's come to a screeching halt the second time because I decided to do DM again. The characters are well done but I don't find them interesting enough the second time around and the game-play is toxic (hah). Elijah and his little heist can gently caress itself.