Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Big guns (lowercase) always seem to run into some weird conceptual issues because their weight (and the weight of their ammo) seemingly demands some inherent superiority. You make a strategic sacrifice, of sorts (carrying less) to haul that weapon around, so it should be more beneficial in some way than a weapon that weighs less.

In F1/2/3, I practically ignored Big Guns. I almost always used Small Guns until I could roll over to Energy Weapons and then carried that through the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Happy two-year anniversary to F:NV. :toot:

rotinaj posted:

Still. Playing Ivan Drago or John Matrix or whathaveyou ends up quite fun.
:c00l:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rope kid fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 20, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The modded katana is the End of All Things, especially if you have a handful of the melee-oriented perks like Piercing Strike and Slayer.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Of the four story-based DLCs, OWB did have the most time/resources spent on it, HH the least.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

VaultAggie posted:

If you had had more time to spend on HH, what else do you think you would have included?
I think it's less about what else I would have included and what more we would have tried to do, overall. Before HH even started development, I looked at the larger team's overall schedule. The core game had an announced release date and we knew the first DLC was supposed to be out before Christmas, so that was an informal (but very important release date). However, that was only the Xbox version, and there would likely be additional work required for the PS3 and PC versions. Also, we knew there would be patching for the core game.

With the expectation that work on core F:NV (patching) and DM (PS3/PC) would extend beyond the Christmas window and the understanding that many folks on the DM team would then roll on to OWB, it was clear to me that HH was not going to get a luxurious amount of time. Everything on HH (with the exception of the opening fight, which took a little longer than expected and generally was my bad idea) was designed to be extremely straightforward and simple in execution. It's not that the team didn't have interesting ideas, I just summarily relegated anything with complexity to the back end of development. The idea was that a solid core, if plain, was still solid. If we had time to experiment around that core later, we could do so.

Surprise! More time didn't come. That might seem strange since there was a large delay between DM and HH, but HH stopped development well ahead of OWB. In the meantime, we were developing a code fix that was necessary for both HH and OWB -- but the content in HH was locked fairly early. HH has, effectively, fetch quests because as soon as we started implementing new and zany things, a mental hourglass was draining in my imagination with a laughing skeletal figure looming over it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

3Romeo posted:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the lowered experience rate doesn't work with the expansions (at least the version I have, it doesn't). So you'll probably want to save those for last. I hope there's an updated version that fixes that
The current version of JSawyer decreases quest XP in the DLCs by 66%.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fewd posted:

Did JSawyer mod reduce the weight you can lug along into the Honest Hearts DLC area?
Yes. I don't remember the new limits, but it's roughly proportional to the overall lower weight limits.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Synonymous posted:

Does it? I've had many a Two-Step Goodbye kill blow up and take a civilian with it with no hostile response, even right in front of a Westside militia. Mind, maybe that's because the explosion is quite detached from the initial damage?
Two-Step Goodbye's explosion is caused by a scripted effect, so it effectively has no "owner". That's also why you don't get XP for kills caused by the explosion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kalos posted:

Veronica too. This game loves breaking the spirits of idealists.
And Daniel. :unsmigghh:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Daniel has found the one society in the Fallout universe to live outside of the rule that "War Never Changes", so it's pretty understandable that he would try to preserve that, even if he doesn't have the best plan to do so and couches everything in a patronizing missionary mindset.
In The Mission, Roland Joffé directed a great scene where the rehabilitating slaver Mendoza (played by Robert de Niro) reads from 1 Corinthians 13 and shows him (and the Jesuits) interacting with the Guarani. At the end of the passage, he's sitting near a river as one of the Guarani boys spears a fish. It's really fantastic punctuation.

The scene.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Oh my gosh they cut radioactive tumbleweed enemies? Rope kid what is wrong with you??
They wound up causing some terrible problems (though they weren't "really" enemies). I think the issue was that they were all marked as persistent references so they didn't cause some odd loading problems whilst they rolled around the wasteland, but that caused additional bugs. They wound up in some odd places, too.

Apparently radioactive tumbleweeds are a real-life problem, too. They will absorb a surprisingly large amount of radiation and then just roll all over the place.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/15/local/me-51273

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've never seen (or heard of, before seeing that footnote on the Wikia) that episode.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 11, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Before working on F:NV, I only had "normal" video game player-level knowledge of firearms and had practically no hands-on experience with anything more powerful than a common air rifle. During F:NV's development, I studied firearms a lot, took a handgun safety course, bought a handgun and several rifles, and spent a lot of time at firing ranges. I also learned how to field strip and clean my firearms, though I never did a full detail strip.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Reveilled posted:

I think Rope Kid once said that part of the design document was that the game had to be possible to complete, even if you had a infinite ammo, always-on flamethrower sticking out of your chest.
Pretty close. Characters could get out one dialogue (if they were behind a door or immediately after a transition), but no one could be marked as immortal (other than kids) and designers had to design their quests assuming that players killed every NPC as soon as they were able to pull a trigger.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Colgate posted:

totally worthless for some reason... like hollow points in New Vegas.
HP and JHP are extremely powerful as long as the targets have low DT.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cazadores, Nightkin, Feral Ghouls, and Night Stalkers are some of the best enemy types to use HP/JHP against because they tend to rush you and either come at you fast or come at you invisibly.

A 9mm SMG with HP can shred most everything in REPCONN, including all of the Nightkin. It's true that it's not strictly required, but HP ammo makes it much, much easier.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This reminds me, I'm pretty sure Vaquero Raul is like the most broken thing ever. One time after I gave him a Brush Gun, then we got attacked by a high level Legion Hit Squad.

By the time I drew my weapon (the Avenger), they were all dead and Raul was finishing reloading while saying "I've been doing this a lot longer then you have, pal."
Old Vaquero Raul with Medicine Stick and .45-70 Gov't SWCs is a relentless wind of death blowing across the Mojave.

Once, for fun, I had Raul in that configuration and added Joshua Graham as a companion, then went walking into Quarry Junction with my weapon holstered. I don't think any of the deathclaws even landed a hit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Trustworthy posted:

Cacti don't give no fucks.

Saguaro in the Mojave. :colbert:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Personally, I never felt like we needed to "make" people use melee/unarmed weapons if they didn't want to. I've seen a ton of players assume that melee/unarmed were weak until they did a melee/unarmed run and realized that both weapon types are viable. Dead Money's/OWB's melee/unarmed weapons aren't dramatically more powerful than the weapons in the core game, but the fights there tend to take place at closer range.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

It's a pretty sad game, really. It's like the whole New World is still grieving the loss of the old one. Plus the deathclaws. They make me sad too.
One of the themes we identified early on for F:NV was "recreating the new world in the image of the old".

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Trustworthy posted:

I wonder what sort of design thought went into that. Did the devs like the character concept so much that they were thrilled to use the character motif twice?
The F:NV/F3 development teams were at different companies, but generally speaking, my attitude when presented with "someone already did this" as a problem is to not care at all. I won't go on a crazy rant about it, but I think people should worry a lot less about doing something original and a lot more about doing something well.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Speedball posted:

So did they make all the GRA guns insanely expensive to justify you jacking up your Barter skill?
The uniques are absolutely money sinks, but most of the "tier 5" uniques (e.g. Sprtel-Wood 9700) are only marginally more powerful than their base items or are just powerful in a different way. The GRA versions of standard weapons and the new weapons like the 25mm Grenade APW are priced similarly to their core game counterparts.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

HitTheTargets posted:

Isn't it implied somewhere that most Veteran Rangers are Ghouls?
No, but there are a disproportionately high number of ghoul VRs. When I created the VR templates, I shifted the numbers so there were a significant number of ghouls. Among ordinary/patrol Rangers, there were supposed to be ghoul Rangers at Ranger Station Echo and a super mutant Ranger at Ranger Station Foxtrot, but I think those were cut for some reason.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

StandardVC10 posted:

That reminds me- I don't think I've ever found a good timeline for how long the Boomers have been around in their "current" form when I've played. Pearl implies a pretty long tradition, lasting the duration of her life or longer, while Chris Haversam from Repconn HQ seems to have worked in Vault 34 before it completely fell apart, while a log in Vault 34 suggests that they left while things were getting bad but before the vault's near-complete ghoulification. While Pete's speech suggests there was still radiation at Nellis when the first Boomers settled it. I figure the Boomers left at least a generation or two before the Courier meets them, while their vault persisted some time longer, but I might be missing some important bit of dialog.
There are unintentional timeline errors between Chris' dialogue and the Boomers. Chris was written very early in development (Novac was the first town we built and REPCONN Test Site the first "dungeon") and the Boomers were written near the middle/end.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

During testing, I went to sleep at The 188 and woke up to the sounds of gunfire. Legion assassins were attacking the NCR heavy troopers stationed there. Since almost everyone but the Forecaster and the brahmin are allied with the NCR troops, it became a battle royale. I actually had difficulty finding where the assassins were, so by the time I got up top, the last assassin had finished the last heavy trooper just before I put him down. The only survivors were the Forecaster and one brahmin.

oldskool posted:

It's it a bug that the Yao Guai in Honest Hearts have 0 DT? Follows Chalk acted like they were a huge threat but literally every weapon I could find tore right through them.
Some of the more powerful beasts in F:NV + expansions have no DT and a boatload of HP, in part to keep automatics and HP ammo valuable.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 28, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Mojave Wasteland is "taller" (more tiles top to bottom) and narrower than the Capital Wasteland, but has about the same number of tiles overall. In retrospect, we should have created an irregular map border (as we did with Zion Valley), but I honestly did not expect people would have this much Trouble With Maps.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Both the Mojave Wasteland and the Capital Wasteland are surrounded by 4-8 times as much terrain as their respective "game" volumes. The terrain is textured but not populated and exists purely for LoD rendering in the distance.

Speedball posted:

Rope Kid, did you invent the "healing poultice?" That stuff's a lifesaver.
Eric Beaumont did, I think.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's always been called Karma.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Speedball posted:

If you're going to take shortcuts my favorite is to go through Hidden Valley and Scorpion Gulch. It's full of armored radscorpions, true, but it feels a little less like cheating to sneak to New Vegas that way.
We provided that route specifically for that purpose.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Smol posted:

Rope kid, who wrote Primm Slim? I just love his dialogue.
I believe that was Akil Hooper. His appearance (boots, hat) was designed by Kristen Altamirano.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Devs in New Vegas actually tried to balance weapons based on the power of their real-world calibers, which is why they buffed 10mm, added 9mm as a replacement low-tier ammo, and got rid of .32 entirely (Because it was completely ludicrous).
The exception to this was .45 Auto (ACP). To make it appealing as a mid-tier semi-auto caliber between 10mm and 12.7mm with a 7 round magazine, I had to give it TRUE TALES OF THE 1911 stats.

I still feel slightly bad about it, but people like Last Man Standing-style .45s that throw guys 20' through the air, so...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TheJukku posted:

I get that, but where are the wastelanders getting the common church latin version? I thought half of them were illiterate, and the other half still weren't familiar with Julius Caesar. Which is kind of the point of why he chose the Caesar's Legion thing in the first place.
As far as familiarity with old world terms/names/ideas goes, regular folks in the Mojave Wasteland are Rhodes Scholars compared to the tribals Caesar encountered when he went east. Even if wastelanders don't know anything about Julius Caesar, the name "Caesar" or "Cesar" could be passed along pretty easily in some form. People today use plenty of names and phrases without actually understanding where they came from or what they mean.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Speedball posted:

Rope Kid, you're the Honest Hearts guy, right?

Let me just say that hiding so many traps under tumbleweeds in the caves was both brilliant and really nasty.
In the core game I also had designers hide mines under (usually NCR) corpses or aim one trap at another (much worse) trap.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SpookyLizard posted:

The problem with this scale is the consoles. They had to remove unnamed NPCs from areas in FNV because of how little RAM is available, at least on the xbox, and no developer is making their non-xbox versions Large Address Aware for some godforsaken reason.
Total RAM is the same on the PS3 and Xbox; the PS3 has a divided memory pool.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

thrakkorzog posted:

Not to mention that a lot of people when shown an 'unbeatable' situation, will simply say, 'gently caress it,' save their game, and attack just to see how hard it is.
I've had a lot of people tell me that it's impossible to do anything out of order on the crit path even though a) we specifically designed everything prior to meeting Benny to be done out of order and b) plenty of people do it all the time, sometimes on their first playthrough, sometimes on subsequent playthroughs.

We set up challenging optional combats/routes so that if you take on the challenge, you'll feel like you've actually accomplished something.

Rinkles posted:

Oh yeah forgot you were a crazy person.
I also like to play crazies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rope kid fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 15, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They weren't arbitrary. The collision volumes are at the edges of the playable world (as they are in F3) and in areas where visibility or navigation were particularly problematic. It's true that we could have avoided putting some of those collision volumes in if we had planned the world with those visibility issues in mind from day one, but that wasn't logistically possible given the time we had with the engine.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Bright Followers are scattered because REPCONN was overrun by super mutants and feral ghouls. They wandered into the wasteland and died, conveniently, where you might stumble across them.

Plasma defenders are set to spawn on their corpses when you're 8th+ level. Prior to that, they drop laser pistols, plasma pistols, and (I think) occasionally a recharger rifle.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 16, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Twee as gently caress posted:

And yeah I don't think the Fallout games should necessarily touch racism, but I find it quite interesting that they made this whole army that seems highly fascist and whose ranks are basically pure snow white 95% of the time, and mentions the way that they incorporate 'savage tribes' into their ranks, yet it's never brought up at all in an open manner. I wonder if Obsidian wanted to touch the subject but decided to stay away from it at the last minute.
Fascism and racism do not always overlap. They don't overlap in the Legion.

Best Friends posted:

Just remembered in Honest Hearts, isn't the White Legs all being caucasian A Thing?
No. Each tribe in Honest Hearts consists of one mixed race. The White Legs got their name from living near the Great Salt Lake. They also cover themselves primarily in pale body paint.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was very important to me that Joshua comes across as a real person. That's one of the reasons why when you first encounter him he's doing something mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pope Guilty posted:

I honestly found the stuff about the innocence of the Sorrows repellent. The White Legs don't care. The Legion doesn't care. And the NCR and House aren't going to care. Nobody's going to. Sooner or later that innocence is going to get the entire tribe wiped out. Can't run forever. Condescending crying over the noble savages isn't going to keep them safe.
People who believe strongly in Christian soteriology often don't give much weight to mortal life/concerns. Some sects are fully committed to practicing beliefs that virtually guarantee their extinction (e.g. Shakers).