Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've been through the game a few times, and have been trying to think: is it possible to go through the game without ever resorting to violence, as it was in the first game? Obviously some side quests are out of the question, but assuming one works either with Yes Man or NCR and recruits no allies, I think all the main storyline quests and requisite traveling can be completed without the player resorting to violence. The only two possible hitches I can see are the end of How Little We Know and crossing the dam. I suppose the dam can be crossed nonviolently with the aid of a few Stealth Boys, but I'm not sure if Cachino has enough health to finish Nero after you get Big Sal to turn against him. As for other possible sticky points, Goodsprings and Primm are just going to have to be let alone, and Hardin will have to be content to work under McNamara. Can anyone else think of a reason this idiotic plan can't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Smol posted:

Perfectly possible. Just remember to raise speech or barter, avoiding combat in the endgame requires 100 in either one.

E: Although I think you need to either destroy the Brotherhood of Steel or cut off Mr. House from his isolation chamber (which will kill him, eventually) to finish the game. So maybe a pure pacifist run isn't technically possible.

Yeah, I was accounting for all those things. The BoS can be spared if you're going with NCR or Independent, and if conning the Master into suicide counts as "non-violent", I'll give the courier the benefit of the doubt for simply disconnecting House from his army rather than killing him outright. The 100 speech or barter goes without saying.

Of course, I normally prefer to deal with Lanius by one-shotting him with the Anti-Materiel Rifle and Match Hand Load ammo. Best anticlimax to a final boss encounter I've ever seen.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

You're playing the game wrong if you haven't spent the aftermath of a particularly hairy battle chopping every limb and the head off of an enemy, covered in blood and screaming at the sky. :black101:

Oh, come on. Nobody does that. Sensible people pick up corpses with the Z button and use them as punching bags. :black101: When the first one splatters, you drop it and pick up another, Captain America style.

Also, on the topic of Dead Money, I find it a lot easier to go in at a low level; say, five or under. The ghost people have far fewer hit points and go down before they get a chance to do a lot of harm.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I hate how I can empty the fort and she still thinks she has to slave away. YOU'RE FREE! RUN, YOU FOOL!

But, if she does that, who's going to take care of the immortal child legionaries running about? :3:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

How does one go about temporarily disabling DLC content? From the splash screen, I checked under "data files" that only the default game (FalloutNV.esm) is supposed to load, but then all the DLC gets enabled once the main menu comes up. I'd like to start off with none of them enabled, then load them individually at certain plot points.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Launch your FalloutNVLauncher.exe, select "Data Files", and disable the other .esm files. Enable them the same way.

That's what I've tried doing. I disable all .esm files except for the default game (FalloutNV.esm), then as soon as I launch the game, it enables all the other files anyways.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

DSauer posted:

The DLC has .NAM files which will cause them to be automatically loaded anytime you start the game regardless of turning them off in the launcher. Delete the .NAM files in "%Install Folder%\Data\" and you can selectively activate them like normal.

That worked for me, though I just moved them to another folder in case I feel like restoring them later. Thanks for the assistance.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

On the subject of OWB, is there any legitimate way to get hold of a second cyberdog gun? I know the default gun with its mods is better than the workbench-upgraded version and therefore wish to keep it, but I'm curious about the alternative and the idea of having a .44 magnum minigun appeals to me.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Boogle posted:

Pass the guns check when you first enter Big MT. Then pick up a second one in one of the labs off of a unique trauma harness.

FauxGateau posted:

At the beginning of the campaign during the initial chat with the Think Tank a guns speech check comes up. Following through with that should get you the second/first cyberdog gun. I think you need 60 guns skill.

Edit: Beaten.

Thanks. I've only been through once and missed that speech check, having concentrated on energy weapons up to that point. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Akalies posted:

Some .45 and 12.7mm ammo. You'll get some awesome weapons at some point that use them. Outside of that chems are a bit harder to come by in HH.

There's a weight limit, but you can take whatever you want in.

Except you can't get hold of .45 ammo outside of HH, if I recall correctly. But by all means, gather lots of 12.7mm ammo.

My advice: take some sort of light, expendable armor you can ditch later(there's a very good armor/helmet to be found), the sniper rifle, shotgun, and a bunch of doctor's bags and some weapon repair kits. Your enemies will supply all the submachine guns you could ever hope for, and if you're at a high enough level, they'll sometimes be toting around AMRs.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Inudeku posted:

What do you guys think about taking the Explorer perk right at level 20 on a first ever playthru? I love exploring, and it'd also be nice to discover stuff on my own, but there is so much poo poo in this game. Wondering if anyone tool it and it "ruined" their experience.

I wouldn't take it right away, but taking it later wouldn't ruin anything IMO. By the time you're ready to take on the end game, you'll probably be looking for some other stuff to do to get you those last few levels. Explorer can point you to a few places you might otherwise easily miss.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I never got any of the DLC for Fallout 3. I had been through the game several times, thinking it was pretty neat. Then I found out what Bethesda did to Harold. :smithicide:

It destroyed pretty much any desire I had to revisit the game.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 21, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Yes, I think they are. The alien ship is always there, with the alien blaster and some cells for it; the Firelance comes down in a fireball after you've picked up the alien blaster, and scatters God only knows how many cells across the landscape. Most of them lying underneath scrub bushes so you never seen them, or lodged in rocks and can't be picked up.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I'm going through Dead Money on hardcore for the first time, normal difficulty. I think maybe I should have purchased the health-regeneration implant before entering the bunker; there's nothing quite like the thrill of facing down Ghost People with nothing but a Cosmic Knife and ten hit points due to being a miserly scavenger who has to pick up goddamn everything in the villa. Gotta clean out those hologram vendors' pre-war money somehow.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

On the topic of Survival uses, I'd like to toss in a good word for caravan lunches. Got a bunch of useless pre-war junk food? Toss them in a lunch box and you won't have to eat again for days.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I just finished up my hardcore run of Dead Money. I came away with a little over 31,000 Pre-war money and all 37 gold bars, plus the holorifle. I didn't cheat. What the hell is wrong with me? :psyduck:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I suppose shoving 37 gold bars into an eyeball doesn't count as cheating, but its pretty close. :colbert:

Didn't do that either. I slapped on the Assassin Suit, read a La Fantoma! and used a Stealth Boy. While he was busy fiddling around with the vault console, I was walking through the door where the blue barriers normally are. By the time Elijah noticed I wasn't there, I was halfway to the elevator corridor. :smaug:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 30, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Not to mention that if you can't afford them while working your way through the DLC, you can always come back for them later, any time it's convenient for you.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

That reminds me, what exactly does completing GRA achievements do for the player? I thought they would unlock GRA weapons/upgrades/ammo at various vendors, but it seems they all stock these things from the start.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

None of that matters. All you'd get out of a Fallout dating sim would be a fade to black and the "Well Rested" perk.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I have never been able to find a use for placed explosives. Seriously. It's probably the ADD gamer syndrome resulting in an inability to plan ahead, but I never seem to place them right before engaging an enemy and when they show up on my radar EDE+Cass/Veronica/Cass/Arcade are already running off to fight them so I haul rear end to shoot them too and never even think to place any down.

Mines and satchel charges are the only way to handle the final showdown in Lonesome Road. :iia:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 25, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to take on Lanius with the Abilene Kid LE BB gun the other day. :stare:

Why have I never used this thing before. "Shoot your eye out" indeed.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 31, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

How do you have the patience to do this? I hate having to wait thirty minutes for every loving junkie to take their turns.

What junkies? You mean all the dead ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

It's a suit. Very snazzy, but not the sort of thing Vera would wear.

And yet the Pre-War Bonnet looks the same no matter who's wearing it. :clint: