Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Vermain posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that this was intentional. If there's something New Vegas is good at doing, it's subverting your expectations: the freedom-loving democracy of the NCR is largely composed of a bunch of warmongering shitheads; the mysterious and powerful Caesar is nothing more than an intelligent, aged thug who's apparently from post-apocalyptic Brooklyn; and so on. I thought it was frankly brilliant that this character, spoken of in only hushed tones, whose very memory is erased from the annals of the Legion, is nothing more than an ordinary, albeit mummified, man.

Yeah but then you have the legate who was actually more than what I was expecting,I was rather disappointed when the biggest baddest legate was an average joe wearing a mummy mask.
EDIT- Appearances wise I mean.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I'm honestly looking forward to Bethesda's Fallout 4 after how much better Skyrim was to Oblivion. Sure the story will suck but they got that world building where I can find corpses with valuable poo poo on them that tells a story. Something that New vegas was missing in my opinion.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Scorchy posted:

I dunno, I prefer live people to tell me stories and not dead ones.

Its east coast-west coast man. West coast got people,east coast got corpses.

If Bethesda would just hire writers not influenced by the black-white school of thought (and better coders) they would make my perfect game,or maybe Obsidian gets bethesda's world builders,whichever comes first.

redmercer posted:

Presumably his next move after Boulder Dam is a great push to Oakland
He already conquered the pitt.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 10, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

My favorite "insufficient skill" dialog choice will always be "I know a lot about medicology!"

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fo3 had a loading image depicting a girl with her robotic horse. Knowing Bethesda, I'm really surprised that we didn't get some sort of robotic horse in Fo3. You could get around Gamebryo's terrible cell transitions by limiting it to 12-15 mph (like the Oblivion horse) and it would totally make sense.

When a game journalist theorized that fallout 3 would have a robot horse due to that screen,a certain website of sperges literally called Bethesda hitlers and kept making robot horse jokes even after release. Adding robo-horses would probably have been more trouble than it was worth.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Akalies posted:

It seems like any time a game journalist writes something about New Vegas they have to call it buggy, but never support their claims.

Ps3. Guess what I got New vegas on first. :saddowns:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I'd love some weird alternative universe where Fallout: NV came out before Fallout 3. Those F3 reviews would be ruthless.

Well then Obsidian would have to build the engine which Bethesda would use... I'm glad that universe does not to exist.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Meaty Ore posted:

I never got any of the DLC for Fallout 3. I had been through the game several times, thinking it was pretty neat. Then I found out what Bethesda did to Harold. :smithicide:

It destroyed pretty much any desire I had to revisit the game.

You mean the best moral decision in the game?
While Fallout 3 was not the best game I completely accept what happened to Harold because it gave me an interesting location.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 22, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Harold was a big mean jerk just because I asked questions to confirm the obvious in Fallout 1. I'm sorry but you people have rose colored ghoul glasses. :colbert:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

rope kid posted:

That experience in no way matches anything I experienced in the first few levels of Fallout 1 or 2.

I agree for 1 but I'd always get shredded by an NCR burst when I got that random encounter where they are fighting bandits. Why do you hate me NCR? I helped you win the Mojave in the future. :(

EDIT-But a burst isn't a rock I guess.

also there is that house in the Hub where a guy has an auto-shotgun in 1. There is a good chance he will shred you.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 28, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

RentACop posted:

He was good in the opening cutscene, I'm not sure why most of the other dialogue is flat. It felt like he wasn't used to the "ring-ding-ding daddio" slang and they only had time for one take or something

I would not be surprised if that was the case.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

That actually happened to me on PS3. Buying more than one of those "break-down" items would crash my game and buying only one would make the rest disappear. It doesn't happen to me anymore now that I'm on the PC.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

So this a thing that happened to me.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Saoshyant posted:

Gamebryo, Gamebryo never changes. Yeah, it never does. This is a bug found right at the very launch that was supposedly fixed in one of the patches, something about bad geometry not placing elements in their right place at all times and those had to be fixed one by one, manually. Are you running unpatched or is it still something that happens today?

I'm all patched,Unless steam didn't do it automatically for some reason.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Count Chocula posted:

The Enclave didn't DO anything evil in FO3, though. Super mutants killed and enslaved people. Slavers enslaved people. Ghouls were a mixture of good and bad. But playing through the quest normally all the Enclave did was pump sub-Fox News propaganda and Sousa marches. I hated them because the game told me to, but I didn't see them do anything bad.
Those big satellite dish towers on the north part of the map have piles of ghoul corpses next to furnaces on the inside of them. It's implied that the enclave are doing some "cleansing" alongside President Eden's plans.
EDIT-of course they have enclave inside them which I should probably add.

Count Chocula posted:

Maybe because I've been reading the Roman History thread in Ask/Tell, which made me really like the Romans. For anyone doubting the realism of Ceaser's Legion, read these posts from a guy who thinks we're not enough like ancient Rome now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=183787

wow,this guy is literally arguing that we have regressed from the time of Hellenistic culture because society operates differently. :psyduck:

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 3, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

achillesforever6 posted:

Wait I thought you kept the rebreather after that mission?

You do,but the guy never gave him one in the first place because he won't talk to him.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

NCR money used to be precious metal backed until the BoS destroyed their reserves though. The reason their currency kinda sucks in New Vegas is because they are backing it with water.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

rope kid posted:

No. NCR money is fiat currency. Hub merchants back caps with water.

Oh,drat it. I need to talk to the guy in sloan again. I think he explained it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

wasabipimpninja posted:

I cant loving finish this game, it keeps crashing on me especially with the DLC, step forward crash, crouch crash, fart crash.

To be honest thought it was a better game than fallout 3

Are you playing on Ps3? If so you're hosed. Never buy a bethesda engine game on Ps3.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Megazver posted:

So they're teasing a new game:

http://www.obsidian.net/

Judging by the fancy font and strange names,it looks like a fantasy game. If i'm right,so much for Chris Avellone being done with fantasy.

Fake Edit:or the 4 stands for Fallout 4.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Stroth posted:

Why the hell is Dala an asian man in that picture?

I'm pretty sure she just has short hair.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

OldMemes posted:

Yes Man isn't a person, it's a robot. I don't trust it. :colbert:

House does have a nice side - he let Sarah stay in Vault 21 after he won it, just because she begged him to let her stay. She probably has to pay rent like all the other Strip residents, but aside from that, she's got the whole thing to herself.

If House was that selfish, he'd probably just go "Nope." and fill it completely. The guy has got a softer side, and Sarah is defiantly one of the best NPCs in the game. She's just so happy to be in Vault 21. :3:

Instead he just filled up most of it and took all the valuable electronics!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

antidote posted:

Bingo. I can't imagine anyone playing FO1 and FO2 and preferring F3 to NV. It just doesn't make sense.

As someone who's played the originals,I just preferred the urban environments to the seemingly empty desert one. v:shobon:v

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, getting back to the Chinese thing, how the hell does the Lone Wanderer read the spec op book?

I just assumed that the spec op book was printed in English for distribution to Chinese sympathizing citizens.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

well they are 200 years old so they probably just fall apart when you read them.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Excelzior posted:

I can agree all of the DLCs revolve around this theme, yes, but how do you figure New Vegas itself does? You track down the man who tried to murder you, then work for one of the factions who can't get over the past in various ways and irrevocably end up at the second Battle of Hoover Dam.

New vegas proper is about the futility of trying to escape the past.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I made that up btw but I can see it working.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

getting 10k chips from blackjack with 5 luck at the sierra madre was literally the least fun I ever had in a video game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Fuzz1138 posted:

I didn't mean that there's a surefire way to "beat the system" or that it would even give you a majority chance of winning.
I suppose by admitting that my source is wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackjack#Basic_strategy) I'll be making myself look more foolish than if I had cited some card-counting book, but apparently the theory is that there is an ideal bet/fold/forfeit strategy for each hand that will "minimize" your losses, i.e. you get maybe a 49% chance of winning at best. It's better than going in betting all willy-nilly, but probably not by much.

that page and a "bit" of save scumming are what allowed me to break the sierra madre.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Its cool and good how a limb being crippled prevents you from firing your gun for 4 seconds.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Gyshall posted:

I always gib the poo poo out of Caeser and then scream JOSHUA SENDS HIS REGARDS!!!!!!!

fixed to be more applicable to me.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Crimson Harvest posted:

Lets do it bro. You can use your boring .45 auto and I'll defeat you with laughter at your bad taste.

you are the king of bad opinions.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Sorry for the tumblr bullshit but I thought this thread might get a kick out of this. http://the-pietriarchy.tumblr.com/post/125347115372/how-did-this-happen
Basically a quote from Honest hearts went viral on the group of people who put quotes on sappy backgrounds and none of them know where it actually came from.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Yeah I also had to push Ted, but it worked for me.

Mierenneuker posted:

That is a cruel thing to do to an openly gay man,

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Every bethesda engine game has the one quest that is unimaginably buggy and never got fixed for some reason and I love it.