Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone deciphered what sounds like Morse Code on the possible F4 teaser site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

He also responds differently to a low intelligence character which the game really needed more of.

Is there a video of this? I'd like to see how he responds to someone on his level.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

New Vegas was kind of a string of setpieces too. This becomes really obvious if you ever do the Honest Hearts DLC, the map there is like a super-condensed version of the regular map.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, when I went back and played some Thief Gold. I did the first level which involves you robbing a mansion and I started thinking about how different the game would be if this were open world. I think every aspect of Thief would suffer, ultimately. Nothing would ever reach the quality of a well-designed mission. The best thing you could do would be something like Thief 3, where you have a mini-world to dick around in in-between the scripted missions. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but hopefully someone here understands roughly what I'm trying to say.

I feel like you're trying to say that a smaller world with a tighter focus is more satisfying than a huge open world that can fall apart under any level of scrutiny. Deus Ex is a good example too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel you can have both somehow, but I'm not sure how. In a way the New Vegas DLCs are exactly this.

I agree that it can be done and feel New Vegas is a good example. And The Witcher 3. The open world serves as a backdrop to a tightly focused story. Where-as Bethesda makes a story as an excuse to explore an open world. Different design philosophies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm playing through the game again and just wanted to say that, after all these years, I still love Vault 11.

Which one is 11, the plant one or the murderocracy?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Malpais Legate posted:

It's also basically the only way you can get Fallout 3 to consistently work on a modern machine. poo poo crashes all the time unless you run it through TTW, and that still has issues.

Eh, there’s one small ini tweak for Fallout 3 that needs to be applied and it runs fine on modern OS’s. TTW is still overall the better experience, but if you only want to play Fallout 3 as it was intended, this mod is not necessary.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Played NV numerous times and don't think I've ever heard of/played this Hard Luck Blues quest. How do you get it? I've always been good to the Boomers, but don't remember this quest being handed out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You have to go to the sharecropper farms which are near New Vegas/Freeside and someone there complains about trouble with the water pipes, which eventually leads you to Vault 34.

drat, not sure I ever did that. I remember combing the desert during my shoulder surgery/Percocet days where I binged on video games, but that one eludes me. Time for another replay!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I completely missed that whole area, Aerotech Park, Westside, and The Thorn in my first playthrough. Feels like I stumble across something new to me every time I play.

Aerotech Park....that doesn't sound familiar either. That's not the same as "ghouls go to space" quest is it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It really does impress me just how much the devs crammed into the map. While unfortunately many of the locations are under-utilized, it's still absolutely wild just how many places there are across the map—Crescent Canyon, the sewers, the cave inside Lake Mead—that the vast majority of players will never see, even amongst those who've played the game a half-dozen times.

Speaking of sewers, are there any major quest chains down there? I've explored a bit, but don't remember much reason other than initiative to go down there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CASM and the stutter fix are all I ever use anymore. I think the game is fine mostly vanilla and just needs to stability touched up. I don't mind the old textures either, because lots of times updating them makes them stand out more from any other texture that isn't updated.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CharlestonJew posted:

same, though I would also recommend installing the sprint mod just to shorten travel times in some of the emptier areas. Also helps a lot when you're rushing to find a radio in Dead Money

I don't run anywhere anyway. I walk and listen to Johnny Guitar.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dead Money: It's frustrating most of the time while I'm playing it. But when I'm not playing it I think about it and look forward to going back because the characters and story are that good. It's a paradox. Paradocks. It's a Pair of Docks. Two Docks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can someone refresh me on wtf was the deal with E D E in Lonesome Road? Was it the same E D E, as the main New Vegas, or a different one? It's been a few year since I played and that confused me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That's what I thought more or less and it was confusing because it felt like the narrative was trying to get me to care about and connect with Nu-ED E . And I wasn't sure why I would since it's not the real ED E from the Mojave, the one that's been travelling with me and sharing experiences. Unless they have a shared conciousness, I'm not sure why the "real" ED E couldn't have been pulled in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I feel like it would've been ok to have "real" ED E show up in New Vegas and just have some in-game reason why you don't mention anything about Lonesome Road after it's over, which would keep the requirement of not bringing DLC content into the main game. Plus in the very same DLC you can nuke a major settlement from the DLC, so it kinda breaks its own rules there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Entorwellian posted:

Beat the game again, this time doing all of the DLC and going for a NCR ending.

Game is janky as gently caress but, having played games since the late 80's, New Vegas is the best game I've ever played.

If you like open world game that also have a strong narrative, New Vegas and The Witcher 3 are the ones I can think of that really pull this off. If you like New Vegas and haven't played Witcher 3, you should.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone play New Vegas on Windows 10? Ever since I migrated, the game crashes on me fairly regularly. This is with nvac/casm/4gb patch installed as well, and no other mods aside from the official ones. Wasn't sure if there was something I'm missing? I've done a completely brand new install and removed all old config files, there are no old mods, etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Giga Gaia posted:

if you have stutter remover and its still happening, try editing sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover.ini and setting bReplaceHeap to 1 instead of 0.

I'll give that a whirl, can't remember if I installed that or not. Thanks!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not for everyone but I will recommend ENBOOST because it has done wonder for me in keeping my game from crashing.

I'll check this out as well. I'm not interested in any graphical updates, but I could do a basic ENB type thing I suppose. Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Raygereio posted:

So Amazon "accidentally" revealed that there will be Fallout collection releasing on the same day Obsidian's Outer Worlds.

It looks like a basic, low-effort re-release. If you never picked any of the games up I suppose it's okay value for money. But it doesn't look like it comes with anything makes it worthwhile for anyone else. I guess Bethesda/Zenimax is hoping that the gaming press will generate some Fallout vs Outer Worlds controversy for them and it'll generate sales from that?

What’s the point? They already released the atomic collection with the big bomb thing. I have that one and it’s dope.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You can build anything. There's enough levels/skill points that you can focus on something, and still master most of the other skills as well. I usually go talk/guns/melee or maybe unarmed. Melee is especially useful in Dead Money and Old World Blues.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can y’all believe this game’s 10 year anniversary is less than a year away? What in the gently caress?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beat part of Joshua Graham was his custom animation of going through an endless stack of guns.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 1 and 2 are awesome and not difficult to play, nor do I find the interface that cumbersome. And I didn’t play either until the summer of 2008, before Fallout 3 came out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Now just imagine if EA bought CDPR to remain competitive! :D

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

With Microsoft now owning both Wasteland and Fallout, I doubt we’ll ever see an isometric Fallout. With Wasteland filling that space there’s no reason. Instead...Fallout will just move towards being a looter shooter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Garrand posted:

Were you under the impression that Bethesda had any desire to make an isometric Fallout game?

Sorry, my comment was a sort of reply to a dude up thread who mentioned the possibility of Fallout in the Pillars of Eternity engine. But I didn’t quote them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Well gently caress looks like I’m reinstalling Alpha Protocol again. Thanks goons!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, 4 has by far the best companions Bethesda ever made but the average character in almost any Obsidian game eclipses them in every category.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Someone said it before, but The Institute is The Think Tank played completely straight.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

moot the hopple posted:

How long does Microsoft have to continue it's studio buying spree until they have the OG New Vegas team under their umbrella?

I think they have them all now don’t they?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Woebin posted:

Yeah maybe I'll just hook the PC to my TV after all! The thing is that I specifically want a game to dive into and just explore in a chill way, do some dungeons and find nice stuff, without the hassle of unplugging my work computer at the desk and plugging my personal PC back in. So yeah, PC plugged into the TV might just be the best solution for me. I just need to solve controller use with the mods I want (which is why a console version appeals, in a weird way; if I can't have mods I'll just shrug and play without them, but if the option is there I know I'm gonna spend a bunch of time and effort setting things up and probably breaking them in the process).

Anyhow I've been playing Skyrim on the Switch to scratch that itch, and that's okay in its way. FNV is just a better game that I'd rather be playing is all.

I play New Vegas with an Xbox 360 controller on PC. It works out of the box with no loving around.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chamale posted:

I loved 3 because I like exploration more than I like talking to people, and 3 has more to explore than New Vegas. Is there any way to get it running stably on Windows 10?

Google “Windows 10 INI fix” and that’s all you need. TTW is a ridiculous amount of work to get the game running good and it’s not necessary. Then drop in the unofficial patch, FOSE, and the Tick Fix. Voila.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be fair this is still a bunch of work.

But I get it, TTW isn't exactly the vanilla Fallout 3 experience and it's also time consuming to install. Personally, I'd still recommend it because New Vegas just plays better and its modding community is way more impressive at this point IMHO.

I’ve never seen that before. That’s not the Win 10 fix I’m referring to. It’s just two lines you edit in the INI file. I’ll add it here when I’m not phone posting.

Edit: In your Falloutprefs.ini file, change the following:
bUseThreadedAi=0
To
bUseThreadedAi=1
And right below that add this line:
iNumHWThreads=2
And that’s it! That’s all that’s needed to prevent Windows 10 from making Fallout 3 impossible to run. Then throw in the Tick Fix with FOSE, the Unofficial Patch, and you’re Golden!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 5, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ThaumPenguin posted:

Which makes it all the more absurd that the Steam version doesn't come with it enabled by default.

IIRC the GoG version of Fallout 3 does have the ini fix and the 4gb exe upgrade patched in already, because of course it does.

Yep, GOG does include the INI fix. Didn’t know about the 4GB patch though, it’s dope!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chamale posted:

I've tried this and still, every save file starts crashing after a few hours of gameplay and can't be fixed.

Weird, I’ve been playing on multiple saves, modded and unmodded, for dozens of hours.

By chance, are you using Mod Organizer and maybe haven’t made the INi change thru Mod Organizer’s INI editor? If not, I’m unsure what else it could be.

Edit: also make sure not to use Stutter Remover. It has some issues with Windows 10, and Tick Fix supersedes it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really enjoyed the four or so albums he made with American. poo poo like When the Man Comes Around belongs in New Vegas:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always liked the idea of Deathclaws being Jackson’s Chameleons, except they don’t have the cute grabby feet, prehensile tail, or conical eye stalks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without TTW. It requires an INI edit in addition to some stability mods like New Vegas, but still runs fantastic. I need to redo my installation now that my PC has been rebuilt from the ground up. Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

steinrokkan posted:

Morrowind was awful to play (and also to find the story between hundreds of lines of copy pasted generic dialogue). Yes, you could break the game and kill God, but it's all completely unenjoyable.

Nah, Morrowind is awesome in pretty much every way including gameplay. I even like the whiff-whiff-smack combat. I’ve been playing it regularly since the day of its release and it has absolutely not gotten stale, and no Beth game since has given me moments of awe like stepping off the boat into Seyda Neen.