Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Down With People posted:

How viable would a pacifist run be? Like, a character who never directly harms anyone, just lets their companions do the work.

I've (mostly) been doing that. So far, between ED-E and Raul, I really haven't had much to worry about combat-wise. If you're 100% trying to avoid any combat skill and stealth skill then you might have trouble with whichever expansion pack you play first, but they all give hilariously overpowered weapons/armor so by the time you finish one you won't really have to worry about the others.

Currently on my first run of New Vegas, so far I've been trying to be as nonviolent as possible, with the exception of Dean Domino (Didn't know you had to be as non-confrontational as possible or he attacks you in the end, and he's a pretty huge rear end in a top hat anyways) and Legion/Caesar. I've finished all the expansions and I have to say, I can't imagine why people would be so divided on them. They're all so great, Old World Blues is hilarious, Dead Money has Dog, Lonesome Road has Ulysses, and Honest Hearts has Graham + tribal mormons.

Was kind of disappointed in Raul's quest. I guess I was just imagining it would be something grander than "i'm no good at fighting anymore, think I'l just fix stuff better" "[speech check]no" "okay". Granted he's the first companion I've done a quest for, so I guess I was just expecting more.

I know this isn't the modding thread, but how's the FO3 + New Vegas merger mod? does it let you jump between the two whenever, or does it drop you in NV after completing FO3?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When I asked in Steamgoons IRC before starting the game they recommended Dead Money -> Honest Hearts -> Old World Blues -> Lonesome Road. Having played them all now I'd honestly swap HH and DM around, mostly because Honest Hearts is the most subdued expansion and has the least game-breakingly powerful weapons. I also started OWB at like, level 30 and had no issue with scaling (the Nightstalker high-school test was incredibly obnoxious, though.)

By the way, if you want to use the expansions to completely break the game utterly (even more than they already do with their insane weapons), make sure to collect as many cartons of cigarettes in the wasteland/OWB as humanly possible. When you finish Dead Money you get access to Elijah's cabin, which has a Sierra Madre machine. In OWB there's like, 40 cartons of cigs, which when returned to the machine gets you a gorillion chips, which in turn translates to infinite super stims and med-x forever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Cartons of cigarettes are way too heavy to carry a significant amount around, and if you want a large amount of SM chips, you only need to wait until you recruit all three companions to get the Sierra Madre snowglobe, which conveniently dumps 2000 chips into your pocket.

Carton's aren't that bad in the Mojave, since you have 420 pounds of storage with your companions, and OWB gives you a really nice fast travel home. I did get the snowglobe but then I transferred all my chips at the time into pre-war money.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I also did OWB at like Level 10 and had to run away a lot, especially to those goddamn nightstalkers (they were far more deadly than the robots and lobotomites running around, which seemed to scale pretty well to my level).

This absolutely. I breezed through the Securitron Factory and ate 50 rockets to the face without flinching, but the goddamn nightstalkers devoured me, AND had a tendency to get so close that VATS just went full retard and shot through them. It was the only time I wished I had the animal friend perk so far.

They were also the enemy that caused VATS to glitch out for me the most (specifically, it enters slow motion and I start aiming but I never fire while 50 nightstalkers start chowing down, for about 30 seconds).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Welp. Guess there is something I'm missing out on. I think I'll live though. And a correction for above, since that screenshot reminds me - The .45 is just for melee. The missile launcher is my primary :tviv: weapon, and came in very handy with the deathclaws. The Legendary Boatfly in OWB ate about 20 direct hits with that thing BTW... anyone else try to fight it?

When I found it never attacked me, no matter where I went, the fight with it just consisted of my standing slightly nearby, filling it full of holorifle shots.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, I sympathized with Ulysses; he lost his birthplace and community to Caesar, and, after finding a new home to begin again, lost it to NCR, Caesar, and the player. I consider that a pretty valid reason to hate the player, especially since the player ended up bringing said community the worst fate out of the three.

I also really liked his voice acting, different strokes for different folks I guess. The expansion itself was pretty weak in terms of interesting locales, but I thought that was kind of the point, showing the player all the damage his actions before the game did, and how much devastation the nukes Ulysses plans to use will bring.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 9, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sudoku posted:

Ulysses took way too many words to say his purple prose that after a while I just kind of gave up on understanding him and rolled through his dialogue. Who talks like that, especially post-apocalypse? Also, the dude's a massive goddamn hypocrite for calling the Courier out on delivering the package and ruining things even though he ran around setting up almost the entirety of the game to happen and the previous 3 DLCs in a similar "didn't know it'd cause that" way.

Also, about your big choice at the end: The choice really doesn't have any "impact" on the game itself. Hell, if you choose the most evil option possible, you get the best rewards of two new areas to check out, and if you do LR early you can even 100% get away with it. I was extremely disappointed in how it had a "right" answer gameplay-wise and how it ultimately had no impact on the rest of the game.

for the first spoiler: He actually does regret what he taught the White-Legs, evident in the audiotape where they pay him tribute. I don't recall him actually doing anything to Big MT that Elijah and Royce hadn't already done, save for almost awakening Think Tank to the fact that they're in a pointless loop. The only real tragedy beyond the White Legs I can recall is directing Elijah to the Sierra Madre, of which the biggest effect was a bunch of wastelanders getting kidnapped occasionally. He found the Dam for Caesar, but that was after he his tribe was destroyed and he was conscripted into Caesar's Legion, I don't recall courier having a gun to his head to deliver the detonator. He let Courier Six carry the platinum chip, but he likely didn't know of its significance.

As for the second spoiler: I actually like it when that happens; the "good" choice in a situation should typically be the least rewarding of the options, because being a good person should be its own reward. The "bad" choices should heavily reward the player to tempt the player and give them reason to be "bad". Yes you get the most out of detonating both places, but you also kill a lot of civilians, slaves, and soldiers that might not have been willingly conscripted, ala Ulysses' tribe.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 9, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked Honest Hearts because of a lot of the reasons mentioned already; interesting locale, civilizations post-war, lots of optional content, Salt-Upon-Wound's helmet looks awesome with the stealth suit, et cetera. The one thing I wish was changed/added was the lack of quests/story for the White Legs, I think it would have been pretty cool to see things from their perspectives; their origins in Salt Lake City, how they survived pre-Legion, how Ulysses/Legion gave them purpose, and what all the mannerisms they adopted from Ulysses means to them.

I guess I shouldn't expect too much since it was a short DLC that probably had time/budget constraints, and was focused on an entirely different story/theme, but I think it would have been cool and made the choices between "let go of the past, or kill people to preserve it " more difficult. I guess this is more of a compliment than a complaint; I liked the setting and characters so much that I wanted to see more of them.

I sided with Daniel and left Zion, no regrets

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 10, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's also the fact that, y'know, the sorrow's don't need to kill anyone. Fighting the White Legs isn't a question of "should the sorrows and dead horses practice self defense, or should they be pacifists?", it's "should the Sorrows and Dead Horses kill to preserve the past, or should they let go of it and move forward?".

I personally opted to escape Zion because I felt it fit with all the DLC's theme of letting go of the past to improve the present. I also liked how the White Legs looked, and would have felt bad for choosing to kill off a tribe I could spare, especially one I knew so little about.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

3Romeo posted:

That's cool, and what you have to say has a fair amount of merit, but Graham is the baddest motherfucker to walk the wastelands in all of post-apocalyptic history, and having him at the player's side for a White Leg pogrom is pretty goddamned awesome.

I totally agree with this part. One of the hardest parts about going the nonviolent route for me was choosing the boring dick that's eroding a tribe's culture to implant his own, over an awesome-voiced cool looking motherfucker who means well and isn't trying to subvert anyone's way of life.

EDIT: I guess that isn't entirely fair to Daniel, seeing as he did help the Sorrows in plenty of ways, and thought he was doing the right thing as per his culture. It still rubbed me the wrong way, especially his reaction to the Sorrows adopting parts of New Canaan beliefs into their established religion instead of adopting it wholesale.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 11, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

A thought about the F3 / FNV discussion on the last page (and throughout the thread).

Having the games publishing date changed by someone else is often beyond the control of the company making the game. And even if you have all the time in the world, some bugs will always be present / invented based on your reputation. So there's not much Obsidian can do about what is considered the main weakness of their games.

But what exactly stops Betsheda from hiring competent writers?

Probably a lack of competent writers willing to write videogames (not even going into the lack of competent writers willing to write videogames who are good at adapting their linear stories to gameplay).

Also, FO3's story was handled by the guy responsible for the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, so it's not like Bethesda just shrugged and said "gently caress the story". New Vegas probably wouldn't have ever existed if Bethesda didn't make FO3 and it didn't sell like crazy, either.

Personally, I liked FO3. Its main story was pretty weak, but I liked all the silly side things and cameos you could find. I love good stories as much as the next Obsidian fan, but it's also fun to just run around in a robot superhero costume punching mutants and picking dumb superhero speech options.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 14, 2013

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That whole bit seems really weird and buggy. He'll freak out and turn the lasers on while yelling about how you're a thief even if you haven't taken anything. And I've never actually managed to lock him in the vault, as he'll freak out and turn the lasers on before going in.

I had this exact issue; I even tried pushing him far enough in to let the doors slide him into the vault, but he just finished talking before I could get far enough. What DID do the trick was simply sneaking into one of the laser-blocked areas while he's slowly approaching the vault, which should trigger him (apparently) being locked in the vault and starting his spiel.

I imagine there's an unofficial patch that fixes this, as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I know we like to rag on Fallout 3 in comparison to New Vegas, but I would like to say something I actually preferred to NV was its sendoff of Harold compared to NV's for Marcus. Harold's questline felt more like an actual farewell/resolution to his story, while Marcus' one quest seemed like an excuse for the group to hang out with Michael Dorn again.

Not that there's anything wrong with finding an excuse to hang out with Michael Dorn, of course.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 14, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

People who complain that none of the options are all that good are kinda missing the point to be honest. Why yes, you do only have four options that each suck in their own way. That's how real problems work. A choice between the same faction in different clothes, or between an obviously good and an obviously bad faction is barely a choice at all, let alone an interesting one.

It's especially obnoxious considering the majority of the solutions (at least, the ones where you're actively trying to help people) usually end with things better than they started, it would be way sillier if courier was Western Jesus and made everyone happy and everything fine. You can still have some pretty solid endings for near-everyone, just not 100% happy for absolutely everyone.

I actually liked that the resolutions were more realistic than most games, it actually felt like you made a difference, and made the problems/people feel slightly more real, rather than feeling like the BAD TIMES switch being flipped to GOOD TIMES.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I honestly think "Kick Puppy" vs. "Save World" options can work in games, but they need to make the "evil" option actually tempting to the player. In too many games the evil option will get you a reward, but the good option will get you an even bigger reward, which completely confuses me; why does the player need to be bribed into being a good person? Preferably, the evil reward would provide an immense reward (at the expense of doing something terrible to characters you might care about), while the good reward would be selfless and provide no gameplay-wise reward (the real reward being that you helped out characters in the game that you care about).

When a game offers an immensely better reward for being a good person, I end up feeling like the developers have no faith in me being good and liking their characters, and have no faith in their own writing ability making me like their characters.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 17, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I actually didn't know people hated the legion assassination squads so much. I loved them because I could loot their big dumb hammers and sell them for hefty amounts of caps between towns.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd dig a fallout set in a different country; it's not like america had a monopoly on amusing visions of the future in the past. The soviet bloc had some nice retro-futurism art.

Failing that, a state bordering Mexico or a state bordering Canada could be neat.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 31, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still like it for all those reasons though; it's a very different experience in that you're always tense and cautious. Even your allies are weird and seem like they could become hostile at any point (and do, sort of). It could have did more but for the scope of an addon it does good IMO.

Also the only character you can mess up with by passing checks is Domino, and that's specifically because he's a contemptuous idiot who wont listen to reason. He's supposed to be a 'love to hate' character.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Incidentally, a big part of peoples' difficulty going north from Goodsprings stems from them brushing off crafting and never making themselves some antipoison.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm pretty blown away that anyone would want to recreate Morrowind inside of Oblivion. Skyrim makes sense, but Oblivion is like a step back in most regards.

keep in mind most of these X in Y mod projects are years in the making, I wouldn't be surprised if much of the assets and busywork in MiO can be traced to prior projects back when Oblivion was the newest ES game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd have been more disappointed in the holorifle easily outclassing every other main and DLC energy weapon if it hadn't been so satisfying to shoot pixels at people.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's pretty amusing that every energy weapon the zany ol' think tank could come up with pales in comparison to Tech Priest looking at a hologram and going "Hmm..."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There are special attacks with melee if you have enough skill, but for the most part it's either: fast swings, slow swings, armor piercing chainsaw continuous damage.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's a huge unofficial patch that, among other things:

- fixes a hilarious number of bugs and inactive flags

- reimplements a ton of cut content or inactive (see: flags) content

- a loving novel of engineering recipes are finally available, so the mechanical part of the magic 'n mechanical isn't extremely useless

It's basically required.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, basically they're not a bad empire in Arizona (compared to what was before them), but they're easily the worst choice for less hostile places like New Vegas. Raul is a good choice for companions if you want to hear about how horrible pre-Legion the place was.

One thing that they do have over the NCR is that Caesar isn't discriminatory in what lands he wants to conquer; the Dam is a very useful chip, but he was planning on conquering NV either way. The NCR on the other hand only showed up because of the dam and House's bubble of functioning buildings and otherwise would not be helping anyone out at all (and the biggest reason they stay in the region is because Kimball is using the war to distract from corruption issues at within the republic). They would never consider taming a pre-Legion Arizona.

As for the soldiers themselves, they're likely either too young to know any other system, or old enough to know what [insert conquered place here] was before they came along.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TGLT posted:

That's kinda ignoring that Caeser's successor is Lanius. The Legion's issues aren't just their brutality but that their entire system is wholly dependent on the guy at the top being smart and cynical about the traditions.

Well that depends on what Arizona is like post-Legion. The fall of the roman empire wasn't necessarily a catastrophe in all respects, plenty areas survived, some better off than before the empire. If the conquered towns are fortified and have their own guards then it's less likely for them to end up falling apart, especially since Caesar systematically erased all existing raiding groups in the area.

Lanius is entirely war-focused, so he likely wont be rampaging through conquered areas.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The big problem with comparing this to the Legion is that the Legion....really isn't Rome. The Roman Empire survived the fall so easily because it was a gigantic continent-spanning bureaucracy. Caesar dies, but Rome lives on. The local administrators can separate themselves into independent provinces that continue to run, with the only real downside being anything to do with imports that have ceased due to war or the new rulers not wanting to honor the old agreements.

I'd argue that this requires some presumptions of the Legion that we do not see confirmed. Keep in mind that the Fort is a military base, and not a Legion city; we don't know what kind of governance takes place in a conquered land beyond what is said in the end slides.

quote:

With the Legion, Caesar and Lanius are the Legion. The Legion is less an empire and more a cult of personality built around a figurehead, used to band together people who would otherwise be disparate raiders and tribals. If the government were to collapse, you couldn't necessarily expect all the assholes at the Fort to not start engaging in power grabs and bloody civil wars. Lanius is an admitted warrior first and bureaucrat never, without the experience or temperament to lead a nation.

Agreed with everything said about the Fort (so long as you consider the Fort to be "wherever Caesar's army is when he croaks"), however I would say that it's weird to mention how unaffected the average dirt farmer was during the fall of rome, then judge a nation entirely around the general suckups in the leader's presence.

quote:

In the worst case scenario, the soldiers become roaming raider bands and "every man for himself" takes effect as the local Legion bureaucracy is unable to keep everyone in check without the threat of Caesar's wrath coming down on them.

Arguably the threat of Caesar's wrath doesn't hold much clout when Caesar is far out of state, especially when he's in the middle of a war; it certainly would stop any official raider gang from forming, but any general crime and assault is far more threatened by the stationed men with football gear and car-wide swords.

Soldiers becoming raiders would depend on how integrated the stationed soldiers are into society, IMO. If they're a part of the town then it's doubtful they would end a life of safety and respect to suddenly start pillaging.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be fair, something that doesn't get brought up a lot WRT voice acting is depth. A lot of VA's with one or two voices see work because they've heavily fleshed out that voice and made it distinct, expressive, and full of character. It's an apples/oranges deal, and Range VA's dont usually compete with Depth VA's for roles.

Tony Jay, Steve Blum, and Jon St. John are great examples of a depth VA, while Nolan North, Billy West, and Jim Cummings are great examples of range VA's.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's cool that Arcade isn't a stereotype, but as a bi dude I find it kind of unsettling how into the idea of gay characters not displaying gay culture some people are.

Ideally we'd have a mix of people who dont make a deal of it, effeminate men, and straight-up hypermasculine horn-dogs, just to name a few. IMO the next big step in games is to have some visibly gay characters that aren't the butt of jokes in the work they're in.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Like, sometimes when reading people obsessing over Arcade being The Perfect Gay I just hear "finally, gay people have the right to be as embarassed about their sexuality as straight people." in my head.

He's absolutely progressive in the medium, but he's not a character to emulate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can agree with that, most game writing about gays seem like you could just do a word replace with Rebellious Teen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The weirdest thing is that you can talk sense into Lanius by explaining that the Legion would spread itself thin expanding into and past Vegas. He's loyal to Caesar but I wouldnt really buy him giving a poo poo about a random dudes' tactical assessment of the legion.

I do like that you can Dune-style challenge him to an honorable 1v1. And since you cant fix Caesar if you aren't aiding the Legion that's the Best End IMO, since it means he wont be around to ruin everything.

That was something I liked in Fallout 1 and Alpha Protocol; that while you could peacefully resolve most encounters it's not necessarily best in the long-term to do so. Makes things more interesting than [Int10](speech 90)(barter 70) "Stop being bad." all the time.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 18, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
E:woops

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Or, you know, they think democracy is actually a good thing as opposed to assisting 200 year old megalomaniacs in turning the Mojave into another snowglobe.

the NCR is plagued with corruption, though. It's not exactly a workers commune.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Enforcing the rule of "don't go around slaughtering other caravans" is not strict. It's basic.

Assuming that's the only law that is made requires bias towards the NCR. I imagine you could pass that by presenting the proof given by the player without, you know, blackmailing them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's also a big part of why the white gloves still have such a big cannibalism problem; it's been slightly more than half a decade since they were an outright Eat People Raid Settlements group.

The families overall serve as a significant indictment against House's rule; he doesn't really care how people are doing and what is happening, so long as they keep up with the Vegas front and stay out of his way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not all tribes are created equal, either. The tribes you see in Zion were children carefully guided along by a guy in a cave to not die in an otherwise pretty empty world, whereas even before House the mojave still has its share of society. Driver Nephi & co are probably a better idea of mojave tribals (i.e drug-addicted raiders in combat armor and vaults)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Fallout world isn't particularly uninhabitable though. Hell, the resources you'd need to spend on a competent space program and the subsequent terraforming of a new planet could easily be used to rebuild a lot of the lost infrastructure and keep the dangerous Wasteland critters at bay.

Which I suppose is a roundabout way of saying that House is a selfish prick who prioritises prestige over the well-being of his fellow humans.

Yeah, more specifically it's uninhabitable for him. He wants a world identical to his old one, just with him on top. He doesn't want vault cities, two-headed cows, bipedal geckos and mutant populations, and he most certainly doesn't want a world rescued by GECK rather than Robco. It's no guarantee that his space mission would ever be a success considering the level of nostalgia he's seeking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know what would have completed the western aesthetic? Mutated horses. Not even metacritic could have withheld their bonus if the game let you gunsling from atop an eight legged ragged looking horse skittering through the wastes with a spider-like gait.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That's just how California looks without a constant influx of outside water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, you can use disguises to go into most places that are hostile to you. That's how you can pull a 180 and join factions that hate your guts long after murdering them by the acre.

Thematically it would make sense for a Legion character too, since you're essentially acting as a Frumentarii.