Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I don't know if Boone could really be considered "entertaining". Interesting, sure, but he really doesn't lend himself to jokes. Comedy-wise I'm partial to Raul.

He's the best for jokes at his expense. "I'd really like my beret back, please" All in due time Boone.. all in due time. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The good news is that the villa is denser in terms of interaction and has generally less of the annoying stuff, plus at this point you should have the right holotapes to get everything you need out of the vending machines.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Are there any copies of Fallout: New Vegas that are legit, for Windows, and not Steamworks?

No. When people say "non-Steam copy" they're basically using code-talk for :filez:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You do actually get to speak latin if you're uber-intelligent, but the option is hidden in a side-quest at Camp McCarran (the captured Legion dude), so most people would likely miss it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Chronojam posted:

CASM is literally must-have because your saves will corrupt without it.

I.. never got a corrupted save playing vanilla + DLC, so your mileage may vary, I guess? :shobon:

To be fair, I use CASM regardless because it's just a drat good utility mod and there's no reason to not use it. It's all pros and no cons.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PBJ posted:

Mr. House's original end-game screen was much more...disturbing.

That was meant to be his main "face" at one point, until the team more or less went "wait, that's the creepiest thing we've ever graced the world with, let's tone it down a bit eh?" *

* going from memory, I think rope kid might have mentioned that on Formspring or somewhere else and frankly now I'm feeling creepy for remembering a bit of meaningless video game trivia so I'll stop.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Tangential point: we've had two spin-offs focused on the Brotherhood of Steel, one which was ludicrously bad and one which was pretty decent, and a presence of the faction in every single mainline games. I'd say it's about time we get rid of the faction for at least one title. If Bethesda (or heck, even Obsidian, in case they develop another title) wants to have a faction with a lot of power armors, I'm sure there are other ways to do that, just as I'm sure there are other factions in the Fallout universe that could conceivably be of military descent and have developed very differently.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Wasn't there talk of a game company making a Fallout like game set in post war Moscow?

Did that turn out to be Metro?

Maybe you were talking about Nuclear Union? Still in development though I haven't seen much news about it recently.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

legendsuper posted:

Weird, I remember a terminal in Vault 87 saying that the FEV "removes" the victim's genitals. I might be wrong though.

Different FEV strain. Different effects.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Line Feed posted:

This was pretty cool, although I think that their Caesar is a little underwhelming.

I actually liked him more than Obsidian's version of the character, which was so blunt and obnoxious it made me kind of wonder why anyone would follow him. :shrug: That said, given Mitch Lewis voiced Lanius with the character's usual booming voice and everyone else doesn't appear to have the same control over their vocal performances and seem to be low in the sound mix too, you get the impression that everyone's whispering while Lanius keeps shouting. Which is.. kinda hilarious, but probably not the intended effect?

It was a good effort though, I backed it back when the IndieGoGo campaign was going and I don't regret it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Then don't play it, idiot!

Perhaps next time he/she won't? That's a really weird way to react to a perfectly legitimate expression of personal preference.

EDIT: Unless I'm missing some kind of inside joke, but to be fair, I'm not sure how I could get it in the first place.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Stimpaks don't have weight in HC mode just as in normal mode. That's a specific change added by jsawyer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Well, Ulysses is kind of a psycho who thinks he's proving a point. "Yes. Stayed in Divide. Not much here, but think self very deep."

I'd talk a lot too if I had his deep, sexy voice. :allears:

I really loved the art direction and the new challenges added by Lonesome Road, plus, of course, I loved ED-E, but I really wished it had been married with a more open structure and a better plot. I was especially baffled by Chris Avellone's decision to go back and add stuff to what little was established of the Courier before Fallout: New Vegas, given it really didn't seem in line with the game's blank slate philosophy for the protagonist. Oh well, still a lot better than Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I find the arc welder is much more useful if grabbed early on, which is totally possible given you can find one without encountering any hard enemy or skill check. You can basically start a game, get out of Goodspring to the Divide, grab the Arc Welder, get back, and get a pretty decent energy weapon for a starting character. Most characters that approach Lonesome Road will have no used for the Arc Wleder, though, yeah.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You actually get to keep the Hoover Dam battle loot with the mod, Raygerejo, *meaningful* difference. :smuggo:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Caufman posted:

Yeah, he didn't come off as naturally interested as Matthew Perry obviously was.

Wayne Newton, on the other hand, seemed genuinely curious about videogame voice acting. :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Frankston posted:

Bethesda have registered this website http://thesurvivor2299.com/ and people are doing their thing and apparently there are references to Fallout in the code and all that kind of stuff.

It's hosted in Poland and almost assuredly a fake.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

grack posted:

And it's still the best FO3 DLC by a huge margin. Unless, of course, you really, really like running around killing hicks in a foggy swamp

Point Lookout has a genuinely well-constructed map. Even Broken Steel has nicer spaces than The Pitt. The Pitt isn't *bad*, but the linear nature of it is coupled with some rather boring quests, and the moral dilemma feels a tad hamfisted. Really like the visual direction for that one, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

thrakkorzog posted:

I don't think there's even a good reason to blow up the Securitron vault. Caesar doesn't really care whether you blow up the vault or activate the Securitrons, and it still leaves all ending options open. I think the worst case scenario is that you get attacked by upgraded Securitrons when you try to kill House, but you can just run past that. After that, Securitrons become a non-issue.

When you're given the choice you don't know Caesar won't care, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The dark side of that is that sometimes a quest means "Walk between these two character five times, listen to linear dialogue, get some experience". The Followers quest to find a supply of medicine is a notable example.

That stuff tends to be far less grating if you actually do it in bulk with other meatier quests, which is the role I suspect they were designed to fill. That said, I can imagine it'd be pretty annoying if you just beeline from a location to the next for the sake of a few lines of dialogue, especially on consoles with an erratic framerate and annoyingly long loading times.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Iretep posted:

You missed killing him. Letting him live is the worst part about the DLC.

Killing Ulysses... that's not the hard part. It's letting him live.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

glug posted:

also: katana is so satisfying

I had never done a playthrough with GRA and *HOLY poo poo*, that weapon trivializes all the challenge in the game. I don't know if it's a result of CCO making everyone a little more squishy, or some weapon rebalance made by the jsawyer.esp, but I basically have never found an enemy that would survive more than a few slashes with my pumped-up melee character.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

They don't even sell New Vegas stuff in their store, I doubt they'll feel like making custom Steam thingumies for it.

They actually sell NCR t-shirts.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I had absolutely no idea you could do I Put a Spell on You from the Legion's perspective. It's rather easy to miss out on too, as you need to have high legion/ncr rep so you can't get to the point where the NCR labels you as a terrorist.

Also I'm very stupid and only just realized that when using melee weapons with vats, you can press different keys to use special attacks. Unlaboured Flawlessness is now my go-to attack.

I remember being disappointed by how rigid the division between the NCR and the Legion paths is. During my first playthrough I basically was loving around with all the factions before deciding what to do, and really wanted to keep the monorail functioning, but the game didn't give me the chance to tell Hsu about Curtis even after he had revealed himself to me. Ended up having to catch him at the radio tower.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kaptain K posted:

I want to know everyone's thoughts on whether it's worth it to use an ENB for New Vegas. I'm replaying it for the 20th time with a new powerful computer so I can finally do all the stuff mod-wise I couldn't do before.

Unlike Skyrim it seems like ENBs aren't ubiquitous though and I'm using Enhanced Shaders and it looks nicer but I'm getting graphical errors like the ground going invisible in certain spots and weird transparency bugs (the latter was mostly fixable but it still lingers a tiny bit).

Is there a way to get ENB working perfectly with FNV like with Skyrim or is it a tradeoff between nice shading and lighting or fewer glitches?

First of all, what ENB DLL version are you using? I used to have a lot of problems before they reached version 2.something, that's where I feel ENB started getting good for Fallout 3/New Vegas. Honestly, though, you'll always have to put up with some issues, ENB is a hack after all and can't really rely on the original renderer as much as with Skyrim (I mean, Fallout 3 and New Vegas don't actually have environmental shadows...).

Basically, only use ENB if you feel like you have the patience to go through different configurations, also install texture replacers, etc., and keep in mind that even when the game will start to look good, it'll animate in a way that will make you think "wow, wait, they said this looked good in 2008?"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Kaptain K posted:

I'm not sure I just installed it so whatever's current and whatever Enhanced Shaders calls for which is ENB 0.173. I'm also getting an effect where it seems like the ENB turns off for a second whenever I enter VATS which makes it take a lot longer.

The latest version is 0.246, but chances are it won't work with the Enhanced Shaders preset if it was made for 0.173. Also, little tip that will save you a lot of trouble with ENB (on any game): it hates overlays. Don't use the Steam Overlay or FRAPS' (using FRAPS without its overlays is okay, I take my screenshots with it). Chances are, if everything starts to go invisible/transparent, it's because Steam popped up a little window to tell you that you finally got that achievement for healing with Survival 4 years after the game's release (well, okay, that's just me).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The discussion about the warheads and Ulysses' motivations is fine and dandy, but I have to chime in with something I personally never understood about Lonesome Road (also my least favorite DLC together with Honest Hearts, for very different reasons): what's the deal with the Divide machinery suddenly deciding to build robots out of scraps? :psyduck: And why does ED-E have the personality of.. well... ED-E? I tried to be extremely careful when replaying the DLC and check out every terminal, note and holotape I could find, but I don't remember ever finding an answer about this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

But you don't have a history with the divide. You just delivered some packages there. Though I do think that, say, when Joshua Graham mentions something bad happening at the divide it would be nice to have the option to say "yeah, I heard about that" or something.

Just the fact that you've made a bunch of deliveries to the Divide and traveled all over the West according to Ulysses narrows the backstories you could have come up for your Courier. Not by *that* much admittedly, and it wouldn't have been a problem if it had been established from the start of the game, IMO, but it's still a problem. (I'm not counterfeitsaint so I don't know if they share this exact opinion, just chiming in late.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

caleramaen posted:

You didn't pay attention did you? There are several options all throughout the game to say stuff like "Hey I saw you in New Reno!" or "Uhhh I was in Monatana 17 years ago." The Courier's backstory is literally "courier who's gone all over the west delivering packages."

I actually did pay attention, but perhaps the difference between a dialogue option you can safely ignore and a DLC-imposed backstory escapes you?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't get why it's deterministic to be able to decide my character backstory, but somehow a random dialogue option popping out mentioning an event automatically locks my character's past 10-20 hours in, to be perfectly honest.

Just to be clear: I'm perfectly okay with established backstories, I loved The Witcher, but if Fallout: New Vegas wanted to give one to the Courier besides "you were delivering a package for the Mojave Express and got shot in the head", then they did an exceptionally bad job establishing it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I guess I disagree. Virtually every other game with an established back story for the protagonist has far too much exposition.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear examples here, because I can't think of many RPGs that did that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 start with a "hey, you're a vault dweller/tribal, find a macguffin, have fun!". I mean, by some standards that's probably too much exposition, but I'd argue those aren't realistic standards.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Right, but they limit personal player backstories in the same way, is my point. You were never anything but a vault dweller or a tribal in the first three Fallout games, which is even more restrictive than the New Vegas "you've been a courier who has delivered packages in the west prior to this" or Lonesome Road's addition of "you've been a courier who delivered packages in the west for a number of years prior to this" is. It's still pretty open-ended by those standards.

I never argued that they don't limit backstory, nor have I ever argued against backstories in the first place. To reiterate, I just don't think adding a backstory to a protagonist that has been conceived as even more of a blank slate than in the other games for the final DLC is *probably a bad idea*.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree but if there's one thing I've learned about New Vegas it's that patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

We won't go quietly. The Legion can count on that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if NCR soldiers weren't everywhere. At least they didn't usse the oblivion dynamic convo system.

Fairly sure they do, or rather, they use Fallout 3's iteration of it, but it's used extremely sparingly. Fallout 3 also had a lot of incidental scripted conversations between characters, but it seems like Obsidian has avoided implementing those.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I didn't play Fallout 3 until I had over 400 hours in New Vegas, I was surprised at how much more alive some of the locations seemed, with people responding to the character's actions and stuff like that. I wish some of that was incorporated in New Vegas.

Of course, a good part of that "liveliness" comes down from vendors being snippy because you moused over their owned stuff, which after 30-40 hours of gameplay starts to become just a little bit grating :shepicide: Honestly, F:NV could have used just a little bit more scheduling for its locations, but waiting for a shop to open with your hardcore mode needs rising just doesn't make for very compelling gameplay.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I wish there was a way to tell Boone not to go for the headshot.

I'm trying to get Violet's unmangled head, you fucker.

Tell Boone to wait while you go to Violet's camp alone? It's not like that area is so difficult you'd need a companion anyway.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
:catstare:

Just what did you do to your game?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

whydirt posted:

Wait, shouldn't you be leaving Vulpes alive in a Legion run?

What if he *really* *REALLY* likes Vulpes' replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The katana is actually added by GRA. What Project Nevada Equipment (re-)adds is the Chinese Officer's Sword from Fallout 3.