Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Exclamation marks are missing meshes, missing textures show up as pink. It can be caused either by incorrect installation or by having too many mods.

Apparently I have 149 plugins, I should probably do something about that.

I think FNVEdit have a feature to create merged mods. Might try that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oneavi posted:

Gamebryo is held together by tape and lovely gluesticks.

Although this does make me think, what is the ideal method to set up fake fullscreen/borderless windowed? I remember turning it on once but I don't remember how.

If you're using an ENB, you can just add this to your Enblocal.ini:

quote:

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

If you're not running an ENB, you can try out GameCompanion.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 23, 2014

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This is probably the mod Raygereio is talking about.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So someone made a song about the Wazer Wifle from Fallout 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx6UdrZ1nhM

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Zeta might be the worst thing I've ever played and I say this as someone who enjoyed Operation Anchorage a fair bit. It's just boring, it drags on too long, all the areas look the same with differing color filters and the ending is just mashing buttons on a console. I haven't played New Vegas enough to try the DLC, but I'm sure none of it will come close to how "Uuuuuuuuuuugh" Zeta was

Zeta was especially fun with Mart's Mutant Mod with increased spawn settings. Nothing is as fun as having to fight through corridors literally packed with shielded aliens. And I do mean literally.

The pain is real.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Brainamp posted:

IIRC there was a mod for F3 that let you plop down settlements.

It's called Real Time Settler and it was ported to New Vegas as well.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 13, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hello 4 year old post. This is great, but if he's a disgusted ex Talon Company merc, I'd like to see his Talon Company logo defaced. Maybe smashed up with a hammer or slashed with a knife. Something that lets others know he's not with them, but still lets people know where he came from.

Or poorly covered up with duct tape.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea something. I have -1 skills in modding or anything remotely related to COMPUTER ART skills.

Just find the right texture file, open it in Paint and draw a black square over it, works like a charm, trust me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It's a BSA/ESM thing.

Yeah, the mod is mostly using vanilla assets, at least when it comes to armor, so you'd have to dig through the game files to find it.

Mind you, I'm not actually advocating using Paint to edit the armor, the result would be pretty awful, unless you're a wizard or something.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 14, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Trying to roleplay a shotgun surgeon who is a wasteland surgeon with a hard on for explosives. Running around with ED-E as my early warning system, I can drop a mine or two around me, VATS a grenade and wait for them to close the gap before I put 8 holes in them. The problem I'm having is I'm wearing the wasteland doctor fatigues (MY IMMERSION) with no DR rating, so I have to be pretty careful, especially against legionnaires who are wicked nasty with those stupid cowboy repeaters.

You could try out the Satchels mod, and add some armor pieces to the outfit, like a combat vest or something.

There's also Tailor Maid - NV, which despite some weird looking stuff has some equipment similar to Satchels, like a shotgun shell bandolier. Both of these mods are NIFscoped or whatever it's called, aka their items are taken from vanilla armors. The bandolier I mentioned is from a raider outfit, I think.

Also, like someone else said, try out Signature Armor.

These mods should help buff your DT up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

When Boone says he's going to shoot everything in red wearing sports equipment, how does he know what sports equipment is?

The NCR is pretty fond of Lacrosse.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Pretty sure House protected the region over a century before the NCR existed..

As far as I can see on the timeline, he spent 61 years in coma, waking up in 2138, after which he presumably started doing repairs and doing important stuff internally in the Lucky 38 or something. Then, in 2274, 136 years later, he observes NCR scouts reaching Hoover Dam. At this point, he recruits the Three Families, and by the time the NCR proper reaches Nevada, the same year, they discover a city of lights, deep in the desert.
A treaty is signed the same year.

Seven years later, a courier gets shot in the head near a small Nevada town.

Poor Wyand :(

So no, it doesn't seem like he did much for the region until the NCR started poking around. As far as I can recall, he took this as a sign that civilization had returned to the Wastes, as the scouts had industrially made uniforms.

It makes sense though, no point in rebuilding a gambling-based economy when there's no society around to support it.

But on the other hand, a counterargument could be made for the fact that House could have helped create a society that could support a gambling-based economy, but he didn't.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Byzantine posted:

There's a radio station mod for Fallout 3 called "Civil Defense Station", or something similar. It's a bunch of accurate emergency civil defense clips alongside nuclear-themed songs from the 50s.

I mean, drat.

It's called CONELRAD 640-1240 - Civil Defense Radio and yeah, it's pretty great.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

2house2fly posted:

House did something before his coma that protected the region.

The draft of my comment originally started with "After the end of the last World War", but it seems like I removed that unintentionally.

So yeah, apart from saving almost the entire region from nuclear annihilation holy poo poo he didn't do much publicly noticable until the NCR started sending scouts in.

I wish we knew more about what he did during those 136 years, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Every one in the wasteland is a horrible, self interested poo poo.

Blow Up The Earth.

If any faction is the best/most sympathetic it's the super mutants. Taken against their will and transformed into barely conscious savages, they've had their very identities stolen from them.

The King is pretty sweet.

Personally, I'd support No-Bark Noonan for presidency.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fuzz1138 posted:

I liked it when we were temporarily on the topic of music, but that didn't last long.

Let's talk about our favorite gun.

On my original playthrough I clung to the All-American for my life, that gun was great, but also kinda boring, so in my later playthroughs I ended up gravitating more towards old-fashioned rifles, like the Hunting Rifle and the Brush Gun. Which are still pretty boring guns, I admit.

I have to say that I'm not that fond of bigger guns, like the minigun and the flamethrower, they feel really cumbersome.

God I'm boring at guns.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Most people posting in this thread seem to not be actively playing NV. Is that the deal?

It's a long game, and it was released five years ago.

Personally, I'm going to start playing again soon, but I'm currently having too much fun modding.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd like to point out that I've got the whole NCR suckling my teats, and it feels so good

Pham Nuwen: Theoretical Physicist

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Iretep posted:

I'm assuming he's not going to use JSawyer or project nevada, if he is then that'd change everything. Also yeah rapid reload is fine but I rather take 10 agility over it. Stats arent as important as perks so I'd rather use the stats to get the same reload speed than waste a perk on it. As far as ST goes my last run was I started with only 2 ST and ended up with too much money I could do with. Energy weapons don't really need much caps. Educated is good with JSawyer, but is worthless in vanilla.
There are plenty of good perks I didn't mention, but most of them aren't really worth taking on a pure energy weapon build. If the build also takes another weapon skill then the build would be a bit more tight.

Wait, doesn't JSawyer lessen the amount of extra skill points you get from Educated in comparison to vanilla?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

There's not really much benefit to taking your int all the way up to 10, as the skill points per level gained are a lot less affected in NV than they were in other games, and you're missing out on some good perks you could take if you invested those points elsewhere.

Also you can improve your INT later in the game, though you'd miss out on a few extra skill points by doing so.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Whats JSawyer

It's an overhaul/rebalance mod made by the game's lead designer, Josh Sawyer. It's closer to his "vision" for how the game should have been. It's also kinda great.

More info here:

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/JSawyer

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 26, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I've never had a good enough PC to play games on, but now that I finally have a modern laptop not from 2007 and apparently New Vegas will run on more than you'd think, I feel like New Vegas might be a great first PC game. I've only ever played a Bethesda game on PS3 and since GameBryo shits the bed even worse on that console, I'm super excited for this.

Finally, a world where I won't have to limit my number of save games....

Well, New Vegas has an upper limit of 1000 saves, so don't get too excited :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I suppose my character is "NCR smartarse who DOESN'T ALWAYS PLAY BY THE BOOK!". That said, I'm not sure how sensible it is to do the thing with the chip. I'm thinking about leaving Benny in Caesar's tent if I can... I don't know, it would be kind of like The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

If your decision reminds you of a western movie, then you chose the right one.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Oh god I forgot about this. That poor guy will never live it down.

I'm gonna need the context for this.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

2house2fly posted:

They fixed couriers running up to you with no clothes on to deliver letters as well :argh:

Got something I'm supposed to deliver - your hands only :heysexy:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

Hell, they needed help defeating a dude with a golf club

It's a pretty rad golf club, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

My problem with morality systems in games is that they don't reward you unless you go either extremes. You can either be Jesus or a baby eating puppy kicker and benefit from it, but there's no rewards for going neutral.

Mass Effect 3 fixed that somewhat with having "reputation" factoring in as well as Paragon/Renegade points.

That said, morality systems are generally pretty awful, only place I could really see one working would be a Puritan/Radical system in a hypothetical Warhammer 40K RPG where you'd play as an inquisitor.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Broken Steel's high level enemies were intended to spawn at something like level 17+. But FO3 being FO3, there were some bugs and you could run into them way earlier. I remember coming across the super mutant overlords at level 4.

I once found an Enclave soldier hanging out by a random water tower very early in the game, never found out what that was about.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Thanks guys, I spent some time last night getting Nexus set up and some mods running again. I don't think I'd ever had a computer capable of running the game at "Ultra" before now, so with the texture pack addition, everything looks lovely. Still getting a weird second-long freeze up every little bit, and significant audio lag on some gun shots and dialogues, but it eventually syncs up again. I forgot how slow this game is to get rolling. I'm just killing coyotes and geckos right now and I'm running out of ammo, and I feel like I'm missing a "Sprint" button or something.

Project Nevada adds a sprint function, you might want to try out that.

It's a pretty extensive mod though, so if you're gunning for a mostly vanilla experience you might want to pass it by.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Can't disagree there, I love it.

Byzantine posted:

The Strip Open and Freeside Open make it waaaay less of a hassle to do things like the Kings quests.

Would you suggest using NVR - New Vegas Restoration over The Strip Open? It's apparently built on the latter and cleans up Vegas quite a bit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

What, the limestone quarry that's been overrun with deathclaws? NCR's been... not industrializing, as such, but certainly laying the basics for some heavy industry. That's what the powder gangers were up to, after all.

Doesn't the NCR have several factories going already? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

khy posted:

I'm trying to figure out weapons. Guns feel lackluster and boring compared to Energy Weapons but I ALWAYS use energy weapons and I want to try guns. How can I make guns more interesting to use?

You could try using a weapon audio overhaul mod, it might help in adding a bit more punch to the guns.

However, I don't know if there's any good and comprehensive ones out, I remember seeing one some time back, but it had been abandoned.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 23, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skeezy posted:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com

It's happening! Announcement tomorrow.

oh man

OH MAN

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So we're almost definitely getting a trailer tomorrow, and based on that LinkedIn leak it's most likely going to be a cinematic one. That said, I wonder if it's gonna be a fully cinematic trailer like the first teaser for Fallout 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPt08UYmyMo

or one with gameplay elements as well, like the Skyrim trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

Something tells me we're probably getting a cinematic teaser tomorrow and a proper gameplay trailer at E3.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

The first trailer for Skyrim was a cinematic trailer as well.

The teaser trailer or the full trailer?

Yeah, the original teaser was fully cinematic, but I'd consider the trailer I posted to have at least some gameplay, with the landscape shots and all. Of course, that's not strictly speaking "gameplay", so I'm probably stretching the definiton there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PunkBoy posted:

So...uh, when is this thing supposed to start? How long has this been at Please Stand By?

BlackLaser posted:

There is a countdown timer right below that.

PunkBoy posted:

Oh, I'm on Chrome, didn't see the timer.

Frankston posted:

It doesn't work for me in Chrome, but shows up in Firefox.

Try disabling any ad blockers you might have (adblock, ublock, ghostery, etc), worked for me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Megazver posted:

Isn't Vault 111 the one with the sacrifice elections? EDIT:No, that's V11.

Personally, I like the new style. You guys keep bitching about how the AAA chase for graphic fidelity is sucking money out of actual gameplay, then you complain when every game doesn't look like GTA V. I like the new palette and the flat shading and the slightly cartoonish shapes seem like a deliberate choice, to my eye.

vvvv So mean. :cry:

Nah, that's vault 11.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

sout posted:

Do I need Gun Runner's Arsenal and Courier's Stash (i think that's what they're called) to play jesawyer?

Yes.

The Vault posted:

JSawyer requires not only base Fallout: New Vegas, but also all of its official add-ons installed: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners' Arsenal, and Courier's Stash.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I think JSawyer distributes the Stash items. Might be thinking of another one though? You can check in the Modding thread for more, I don't remember where I read the bit about the Stash.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It does. They get scattered across the Wasteland.

Can confirm, when you start a playthrough with Jsawyer, you won't get any of the Courier Stash items, you'll have to find them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

What level is it recommended you start Dead Money on? I know that if you play it on a high level it's gonna be much harder than if you do it on a lower level, where it's much more of a cakewalk. I don't really want either of the extremes, though . I've played DM before, but it was a long time ago, and I can't really recall anything about it other than being frustrated with inventory management and running off with a hoard of gold.

I'm level 11 at the moment, but I think I might want some more time to increase my skills so I can pass some of the more demanding skill checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

As for vault 21 and the Kings those are very good points though I can see why house wouldn't give a lot of credibility to Elvis impersonators.

The Kings only became the Kings when they were exiled to Freeside and discovered the abandoned acting school. Before that they were an urban tribe.